Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Sarnak

This is how you can spot blue players. When they act like without itemloot or coin, there is no incentive is to pvp lol.

Back on TZ, guild rivalry drove pvp. Pure hatred flowed freely. PDM Vs Disco vs indignation. Access to raid zones and loots was like an arms race between the superpowers of the planet. Because when people killed eachother, it wasn't just a random ganking, it was a grudge match.

Saying we need itemloot as an incentive to pvp just shows you haven't been a part of a fully functioning pvp server.

Reputation, glory, dominance, access to loot, hate, revenge.

These are the incentive. Everything else is just minor details.
Last edited by Billbike; 09-20-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbike [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Saying we need itemloot as an incentive to pvp just shows you haven't been a part of a fully functioning pvp server.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Sarnak

Billbike with the swish
Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Kobold

I am an everquest bluebie...

Guess you probably stopped reading there.. That said i played shadowbane for a long time and quite a few other pvp based MMO's. I understand that most of the fun from pvp comes from just killing each other over hate, territory, ect ect. I agree with pretty much all of what your saying. I get all of my fun in EQ from player interaction, so it may have been shortsighted of me to draw my previous conclusions.

So instead of arguing this point further I'll just say that I agree. Most likely it would be better for me if there's no item/coin loot since I will probably be on the losing end most of the time anyways. If anything I'd support limited item and or coin because it adds some extra danger. The higher my chance of losing or gaining something the more my adrenaline starts pumping. Regardless I'll be there =P
Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billbike [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is how you can spot blue players. When they act like without itemloot or coin, there is no incentive is to pvp lol.

Back on TZ, guild rivalry drove pvp. Pure hatred flowed freely. PDM Vs Disco vs indignation. Access to raid zones and loots was like an arms race between the superpowers of the planet. Because when people killed eachother, it wasn't just a random ganking, it was a grudge match.

Reputation, glory, dominance, access to loot, hate, revenge.

These are the incentive. Everything else is just minor details.
Really? I spot the blue players by seeing whether or not they're afraid of item loot.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyve [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Really? I spot the blue players by seeing whether or not they're afraid of item loot.
You mean you spot the people who have actually played it before and watched it fail? Or you mean you spot the people who plan on rolling a melee?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 PM
Fire Giant

I am only anti-item loot if there isn't some other penalty. Too many classes in EQ are OP with no gear or minimal gear for pure item+coin to work. It's pretty easy to naked gank with a pair of casters. Melees would be at a severe disadvantage. Even if they got some buddies together and killed the guys off that ganked them, they guys doing the ganking would have nothing to lose in the nude. No risk to justify the reward of looting other people's items. Add in exp loss or something to deter this sort of behavior and I am totally down with item loot.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Sarnak

Exp loss wouldn't change anything at all. We had it on SZ and nobody gave a shit, it had no influence on people's actions. If it's possible to PvP naked with no risk to your own property while you can loot others, people will do it. A naked caster still has the upper hand against a geared melee until way lategame.

It looks like they're going with bagloot anyway. That's an acceptable compromise because it makes melee playable and gives people no reason to PvP naked, but it's still a puzzle considering the majority has always been against itemloot of any kind and that bagloot only really fixes a couple of the many problems. It also introduces a few new ones. If the devs are stubborn enough to go against the majority sentiment, logical arguments and the history of itemloot, bagloot is at least better than traditional itemloot.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Sarnak

Bagloot means that melees cant keep multiple weapon sets..it means some special stuff will need to happen for bards that need multiple instruments + weapons..and it still doesn't mean twinks have to stay on their toes once twinks become a big part of the game for lower end dudes.

I think it is better than no loot but hardly. It has the disadvantages of item loot (worry about your stuff) and none of the advantages (be afraid to wear your best stuff)

People being afraid to wear their best gear is a balancing factor. There are enough PVP guys that will play either way..and enough bored blue99 players that will join this server for fun. Its going to be hard and yes old world is harder in some ways for melees.

I really think regular rallos style item loot is the best answer to this question overall.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Fire Giant

I have to say bag loot is pretty much retarded too. Any sort of item loot system that allows for some sort of loophole is pretty easily exploited. All bag loot does is fuck the few classes that have to carry around multiple items and promote running around with an empty inventory when ganking. It's not a penalty that will matter to those that abuse the system.

Exp loss while nothing to deter people from ganking, is enough to deter people from keeping it up once things are no longer in their favor. No one is gonna bind rush with an empty inventory if it gets them killed down a few levels with unrezzable exp (assuming you can loot naked corpses to make them poof). *shrug*
Closed Thread