Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleris [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just want to let everyone know that this works on the beta server as well. I navigated Western Wastes, Kael, Sirens Grotto and more. The only zone that this program has issues with was freeport (which I always get lost in) and I believe around perma frost.
Thanks for the feedback. I've added it to the to-do list.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niedar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So you play on red? Great intel tool, would give away my zone location again.
I've been playing on red for about 2 years now or so. If you're not comfortable using it, all I can say is "don't use it". I never have and never will use anyone's information in the malicious manner you suggest.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:38 PM
Kobold

Just warning other people that not only are you handing over your location to a central server you are also potentially feeding it information about who is in the zone with you as well. As I said, it can be used as a great intel tool. The actual application looks great and if I were a blue player I would probably use it.

The problem is that just trusting something like this is a bad idea and is not really an accusation against you personally. For one it is closed source but hey thats alright if you could claim it didn't send back data to a central server and then we could monitor if thats true or not but you have built doing that into the application to begin with as a feature.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:32 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
is this shit allowed now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripcord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
then why is map function disabled? either way maps are for pussies [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My heart goes out for programmers, I am also a programmer.
But this seems silly.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

When you zone you ask the server for the zone map if you don't have it already cached. That's pretty much the entire conversation with the server. The the login part of it is there so adding on more features like sharing your locations with friends, but like I said, I haven't had time to do that.

If you think the app is silly, don't use it! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This was a labor of fun and love for the game. I originally made it for myself but I said "hey, I took it this far, why not contribute something to the community". And since it wasn't against the rules, that's what I did.

Honestly, if you're not comfortable using it, don't use it!!! Don't! don't don't don't! Stop! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrathmap.com [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you zone you ask the server for the zone map if you don't have it already cached. That's pretty much the entire conversation with the server. The the login part of it is there so adding on more features like sharing your locations with friends, but like I said, I haven't had time to do that.

If you think the app is silly, don't use it! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This was a labor of fun and love for the game. I originally made it for myself but I said "hey, I took it this far, why not contribute something to the community". And since it wasn't against the rules, that's what I did.

Honestly, if you're not comfortable using it, don't use it!!! Don't! don't don't don't! Stop! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will try to sum up my feelings on this in the most non-offending way I can, because as I mentioned my heart goes out to programmers, and I think it's great that you are spending your time helping other people via an app.

The Devs of P1999 have spent a lot of time bringing this server to us for free.

People come to the server for the "1999" part. Other people come to join their friends or just to be part of the community.

One aspect of the p1999 server is that maps are disabled to force people to actually learn their maps from the characters point of view. This brings back the use of sense headings and landmarks, along with helping other players that get lost. In short it's a major portion of the p1999 community.

Simply saying "if you're not comfortable using it, don't use it!" is arrogant, self-centered, and presumptuous.

In a way, you have destroyed my immersion. What is the point of looking at maps and using sense heading when I can instead use this app.

You may as well just turn the maps back on.

I sincerely hope that you don't think I'm an asshole for writing this. I am only giving you my honest opinion.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymack007 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I will try to sum up my feelings on this in the most non-offending way I can, because as I mentioned my heart goes out to programmers, and I think it's great that you are spending your time helping other people via an app.

People come to the server for the "1999" part. Other people come to join their friends or just to be part of the community.

One aspect of the p1999 server is that maps are disabled to force people to actually learn their maps from the characters point of view. This brings back the use of sense headings and landmarks, along with helping other players that get lost. In short it's a major portion of the p1999 community.

Simply saying "if you're not comfortable using it, don't use it!" is arrogant, self-centered, and presumptuous.

In a way, you have destroyed my immersion. What is the point of looking at maps and using sense heading when I can instead use this app.

I sincerely hope that you don't think I'm an asshole for writing this. I am only giving you my honest opinion.

I'm sorry you feel this way.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymack007 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If something like this can destroy your immersion without you even using it, you couldn't have been that immersed anyway.

"If you're not comfortable using it, don't use it!" is the complete opposite of arrogance. Arrogance would be forcing it upon you. Basically, what he's saying is do what makes you happy.

You, on the other hand, are being extremely arrogant.
Last edited by myriverse; 10-14-2014 at 07:10 AM..
Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Planar Protector

Interesting. Knowing where you are in a classic zone would sometimes be nice, but I think it could be an exploit in the eyes of dev.

I prefer full color, topographic maps with landmarks & legends. The ones I don't have memorized I have printed: http://steveprutz.com/eq/images/burning_woods_lath.jpg

Amax MNK / Amalgamax ROG / maximum
Begging (227)

EQ Map Archive (1,000+ images)
P99 WikiEQ Patch Chronology
Last edited by maximum; 10-14-2014 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: memorized already
Old 10-14-2014, 01:02 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by myriverse [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If something like this can destroy your immersion without you even using it, you couldn't have been that immersed anyway.

"If you're not comfortable using it, don't use it!" is the complete opposite of arrogance. Arrogance would be forcing it upon you. Basically, what he's saying is do what makes you happy.

You, on the other hand, are being extremely arrogant.
1. Perhaps we have different definitions of the word immersion.

2. Arrogant is a pretty straight forward word. If your saying, "I know that maps are disabled on this server, but I think I can be an exception via this 3rd party app. If you don't like it then just pretend it doesn't exist." That sir, is arrogant.

3. Exactly how am I being arrogant by voicing my opinion on this app?