Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Classic mechanics or classic feel?
Classic mechanics 30 41.67%
Classic feel 42 58.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well yeah, but that doesn't have anything to do with the definition of "exploit". I mean, of course you were supposed to be able to buy and sell charged and uncharged items using vendors, but there's no question about what the exploit is.

Multiquesting, on the other hand, is entirely an exploit - it was not an intended mechanic in any way. Whether they realized this at some point and decided to just leave it in is another topic, but it was absolutely not the original intention.
Exactly my point PG. MQ'ing became part of EQ for a very long time. Content was even designed after launch to take advantage of players abilities to MQ. It is a perfect example of the game mechanics being used by players in unintended and advantage ways (the definition of exploit as I know it) that actually became a regular part of the game design. Same with item recharging.

Whether or not these types of situations are properly "classic" is a play by play call that Nilbog and Rogean and other devs have made as they created p99. The difference between "emergent game play" and "exploit" is really kind of subjective.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:34 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Exactly my point PG. MQ'ing became part of EQ for a very long time. Content was even designed after launch to take advantage of players abilities to MQ. It is a perfect example of the game mechanics being used by players in unintended and advantage ways (the definition of exploit as I know it) that actually became a regular part of the game design. Same with item recharging.

Whether or not these types of situations are properly "classic" is a play by play call that Nilbog and Rogean and other devs have made as they created p99. The difference between "emergent game play" and "exploit" is really kind of subjective.
why dont all you nerds just tweet the king nerd who can make the final ruling? https://twitter.com/Aradune
Old 12-12-2016, 08:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Yeah, that's a good point - when I think of a game exploit I'm thinking more of actual mechanics that are designed to function in a specific way. In other words, bugs in the game's design that are then used advantageously and exploited. I'd probably make the case that a bug is a given or a requirement for something to be considered an exploit - otherwise it's just gaming the system, or playing prodigiously well, or "emergent gameplay", or something.

For example, a pathing exploit utilizes a bug involving pathing nodes and AI mechanics that could be corrected for, even though everything else the exploiter does is perfectly legitimate. The bards in Qeynos that could be slowly dotted to death from the city ramparts involved a bug where the NPCs didn't execute an AI script, or if they did they'd indefinitely run around and never find a way to reach the player - another pathing bug, for all intents and purpses.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by snead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why dont all you nerds just tweet the king nerd who can make the final ruling? https://twitter.com/Aradune
lol, that close-up mugshot always kills me - someone really needs to have a talk with him about that.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:04 PM
Planar Protector

It's true, he looks like someone trying to look cool. Which is never cool. I love me some Aradune tho, and I have high hopes for Run of the Walking or Stand of the Unseated or whatever it's called. Oh yeah, Rise of the Fallen.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by renordw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played on the Firiona Vie server on live, and I remember there was nothing that was no drop, even epics were tradeable.
There were certain things on Firiona Vie that were not droppable while I played. Epics were one of those things.

I bought Primal weapons and Coldain shawls but I had to do my own chanter epic which I was very happy about, the reward of getting finally (took 15 visits to Hate to get one piece) was insane.

At some stage I think the developers (if they still even care after this lone) need to look at some of the mistakes made on this server and correct them.

It was imo a mistake to allow soulfires to be clickable from inventory for so long. They have remained clickable from inventory on this server for far longer than they remained clickable on live. The best solution would have been to set two conditions for these types of items: Soulfire clickable? As long as progression to nerf not reached OR As long a period hasn't expired equal to or greater than on live. Its not classic to nerf before progression BUT its not classic to allow it to remain longer than it remained on live.

In terms of quality of server and keeping the server alive I think it would be useful to weigh up the benefits to the server of allowing almost every MQ that has any value to be perma-farmed against the enjoy-ability of the server for people starting out. In other words:

Is classic MQ ability more important than the ability of new players and older players to re-experience classic everquest. If the exploitation (I'm using this is the not MMO sense) of farmable mobs is the defining memory of your old live server then that's probably a yes. In my memory farming Jboots was tough but it was tough because we didn't know the secrets to the AC and we had competition mostly from other 30ish players also looking to get their jboots. And on my server the RoA was droppable.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's true, he looks like someone trying to look cool. Which is never cool. I love me some Aradune tho, and I have high hopes for Run of the Walking or Stand of the Unseated or whatever it's called. Oh yeah, Rise of the Fallen.
I've found that usually people with goatees are trying to look cool or bad ass
Old 12-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, that's a good point - when I think of a game exploit I'm thinking more of actual mechanics that are designed to function in a specific way. In other words, bugs in the game's design that are then used advantageously and exploited. I'd probably make the case that a bug is a given or a requirement for something to be considered an exploit - otherwise it's just gaming the system, or playing prodigiously well, or "emergent gameplay", or something.

For example, a pathing exploit utilizes a bug involving pathing nodes and AI mechanics that could be corrected for, even though everything else the exploiter does is perfectly legitimate. The bards in Qeynos that could be slowly dotted to death from the city ramparts involved a bug where the NPCs didn't execute an AI script, or if they did they'd indefinitely run around and never find a way to reach the player - another pathing bug, for all intents and purpses.
Definitely "emergent gameplay." I don't think anybody with a straight face could sit down and tell me the devs intentionally designed merchants to recharge items because they can't store in their databases the charges on multiple copies.

Same with items that are clickable from inventory, like SoulFire. It's totally game-changing and really not at all how the devs intended.

For some reason this kind of "emergent gameplay" really bothers me. While I realize this is a shitty argument, it really fucks with my immersion - in the sense that "classic everquest" shouldn't be about a growing list of exploits that the original devs couldn't change because they aren't around anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is classic MQ ability more important than the ability of new players and older players to re-experience classic everquest. If the exploitation (I'm using this is the not MMO sense) of farmable mobs is the defining memory of your old live server then that's probably a yes. In my memory farming Jboots was tough but it was tough because we didn't know the secrets to the AC and we had competition mostly from other 30ish players also looking to get their jboots. And on my server the RoA was droppable.
Right, and the devs here changed the South Ro Ancient Cyclops because it was too arbitrary (just like how it was in classic). Now it can spawn at any point in the zone, and that's not a classic mechanic, but it does "feel" more classic because of the sense of wonder.
Last edited by renordw; 12-13-2016 at 11:26 AM..
Old 12-14-2016, 09:14 PM
Fire Giant

I always find it funny when polls are made or threads are made about people complaining about MQ's but they never bother to do a search on Multi-Questing and see the post made by Rogean himself, about adding it to the system over six years ago...

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17742

He wrote a template for it and the first thing he added it to was Hasten Bootstrutter for the Journeyman Boots quest. He even asked which quests or epics it should be implemented into.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always find it funny when polls are made or threads are made about people complaining about MQ's but they never bother to do a search on Multi-Questing and see the post made by Rogean himself, about adding it to the system over six years ago...

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17742

He wrote a template for it and the first thing he added it to was Hasten Bootstrutter for the Journeyman Boots quest. He even asked which quests or epics it should be implemented into.
tfw your entire shitty whinethread falls apart because the server owner deliberately coded it to work that way [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread