Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Latency or Interaction issues??

My friend playing an Iksar Monk has been having interaction issues.. He is pulling mid to high 90 ms but, attack will take upwards of 2 minutes to activate along with things like trade and merchants. He is running a I7 processor and a Nvidia Geforce 350M running Windows 7 with about 4GB ram. Any suggestion?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Large Rat

Well I'm the friend that's having the problems. Wanted to elaborate on what Thulious wrote here.

First, it's a 360m but I hardly doubt that really matters.

Now to elaborate -
I'm typically sitting around 90ms as previously stated, and rarely see anything above 100 (West Coast Player - Seattle).

When I go to attack a mob, click to open a door, sell to a vendor, etc. The result can be instant at any given time or it can take as Thulious said, literally 2 minutes.

What I know is that this is not a targeting issue on my end, it's not a range issue, as my chat is filled with nothing about me swinging or attempting or missing or facing the wrong direction etc. Just the mob hitting or missing me. It happens with "Con" as well, I could con four mobs and then all the sudden, maybe 30 seconds or a minute down the road, it pops up on the screen. Not all at once like Live did when you'd have typical lag. But if I con'd a mob, waited 2 seconds, con'd a second mob, waited 10 seconds and con'd a third. It would pop up in the chat maybe 2 minutes down the road exactly that same way. However, attacks don't catch up, they just start. In live, if you lagged, all your attacks from the start of the lag to the catch up time would spam your chat. Not in this case.

All the while this is happening, rather my attack is showing up instantly, or it's taking the "2 minute" scenic route, My ping is changing, but not going above 100ms.

I'm puzzled. It's like lag spikes, but it's not. In the sense that the world isn't lagging, People aren't running in place or running off forward and then teleporting back. I see Thulious's every move as I'm unable to attack or loot or open a door. In fact I have to have him open a lot of doors for me. (He's so Chivalrous) >_>

I really want to be apart of the 1999 community, I love that you guys brought what we've all wanted back from the SOE expansion ashes, but as a Monk since Tribunal came out, I know that I won't last long without being able to send those fists a flutterin. Dodge is only Half the battle ^_^
Last edited by Moonkey; 09-11-2012 at 01:33 AM..
Old 09-11-2012, 01:13 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds like you're having some packet loss issues. We have plenty of people playing from all over the world, so 100 or even 300 ms is not uncommon, but if your ms is regularly 90 and then spikes up to 300 that can indicate that there are issues with your pipe. Do you use wireless? Try connecting a hardwire.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Large Rat

That's the problem, the ping NEVER spikes. I rarely see it in the triple digits and never really above, I'd say, 109. Don't think I've seen it hit 110 or over. That's whats so baffling about it is that it's acting like packet loss or some sort of connection deal, but not everything, in fact there are things, as noted, that lean against it.

However, Last night, after searching these forums for four hours along with eqemu forums for lag issues and things (regretably a Large topic to "search" and come up with nothing that fits my description of issues), I started it up, patched the new patch, tried it to see if that would work, and it still did it. I left the game running minimized to come here to post about the issue and by the time I got done posting here, I went back into the game and everything worked for about 2 hours till I got off. I was gonna post about it last night but I have to admit to being guilty of enjoying EQ working. Now I'm going to try to find out what happened and why it worked. Just got off 13 hours of work (Dang THE MAN for keeping me away from my reunion with EQ), gonna give it a try. If I can figure anything out, I'll update this post just in case someone else by some fluke (as this seems) has the same problems since I couldn't find anything.

BTW, yeah I'm hardwired.

I did actually put everquest as accepted through the firewall. But there was no changes during my post time that would have explained why sitting there that long would have allowed it to start working flawlessly... I'm just baffled

PS, Thanks so much for the Reply!
Last edited by Moonkey; 09-11-2012 at 11:56 PM..