Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

View Poll Results: Are you happy with an 8 level pvp range
Yes 75 41.44%
No (Post your suggested level difference) 106 58.56%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Aviak

Oh and this "dynamic range" nonsense needs to go. I give you full marks for spotting the obvious problem with a +/- N levels system, but realize that all you are doing is replacing one type of griefing (dragging around an out-of-range healer) with another: dragging around a level-appropriate alt to sucker people in a low-level zone into attacking (really, just responding to being attacked) and then suffering xp loss at the hands of someone 16+ levels higher.

Lets be honest: no matter what system you adopt, there will be griefing. But, in both the OOR healer and the tag-along-lowbie cases I spell out above, its the XP loss that makes the griefing particularly onerous.

So how about you adopt a system that removes the possibility of XP loss from someone 16+ levels higher than you, and lets you kill anyone who heals your target, full stop:
  • FFA, no level limit to engage.
  • XP loss within a level band, say +/- 5.
Oh hi Sullon Zek rules, I didn't see you there!

Say it with me folks: XP loss from unattackable healers is bullshit. XP loss from people 16+ levels higher than me is bullshit.

I am the 99%

#occupyqeynos
Old 10-13-2011, 04:42 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukahwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only things like healbuffs and heals should engage it
This is already the case....

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is already supposed to be the case....
Fixed that for you mate.

So basically, when a twink 8 levels higher than you shows up and starts killing you with his buddies in tow healing him, DON'T HEAL ANYONE in your group, or the buddies will kill you and you will lose xp.

Swell idea.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll talk the incremental natural range over with the others. I'm thinking something like this..

+/- 4 until 20
5 until 40
6 until 50
8 51+

two players able to attack eachother would be determined by the lowest level player's range. Still affected by the dynamic range system.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 10-13-2011, 04:48 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkov [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fixed that for you mate.

So basically, when a twink 8 levels higher than you shows up and starts killing you with his buddies in tow healing him, DON'T HEAL ANYONE in your group, or the buddies will kill you and you will lose xp.

Swell idea.
How about you stop trying to troll me because I'm not really in the mood for your snidey "fixed" remarks.

The system is working as intended. If you heal someone higher level, they can attack you, vise versa.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Aviak

OK, snideness aside.

Any thoughts on limiting XP loss to a hard range a la Sullon rules? (So, following your "dynamic range" idea, you can pvp anyone that buffs/heals your target, but you can still only lose XP if someone +/- N kills you)

As I said above, its the XP loss from people a billion levels higher than you that really sucks about the system as currently designed. Seems like you agree at least in principle, hence your consideration of the "incremental natural range."
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll talk the incremental natural range over with the others. I'm thinking something like this..

+/- 4 until 20
5 until 40
6 until 50
8 51+

two players able to attack eachother would be determined by the lowest level player's range. Still affected by the dynamic range system.
This is much more reasonable and further prevents stupidity like a level 10 camping levels 2's spawnpoints for "lulz", damaging server integrity.
Banned

I just don't want the bottom to fall out of the population and I'd hate to ask more from The Emp coding-wise.

+/- 4 until 20 - good. 16 vs a 20 but not 12 vs a 20.
5 until 4 - good. 35 vs a 40.
6 until 50 - 44 vs a 50, fine also imo.
8 51+ - welcome to kunark, bitches. Server has also been established for a while and people should have at least minor magic resist/whatevs gear on their chars.
Last edited by Nirgon; 10-13-2011 at 04:58 PM..
Old 10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Decaying Skeleton

+/- 5 or 6 would be great, 8 is excessive!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The truth is, 8 levels and no item loot are also being voted by the same people who want:

1. Yellow text
2. Global ooc
Untrue. I want 8 level range, and am opposed to yellow text and global ooc.

Rogean, if you're going to go with a level range system that scales up as you level, please don't make it scale so slowly as you're proposing. Keep in mind that max level will be 50 for a while, and at least make it 8 levels at 42. A 42 stands a good chance against a 50. Please don't fall prey to the false ideology that meaningful pvp only happens at max level. Most of the players here seem to be trying to make pvp scarce until they get to be a high level, so they can level in bluebie bliss.

PvP is great at any level, and an 8 range is honestly not that drastic (except at very low levels).