Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 01-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Planar Protector

Default Plane of Growth Plants should not be Plants

I remembered seeing this old post here mentioning that PoG plants weren't classified as plants. Poster then seems to indicate that some had been fixed to plants and the post was moved to resolved.

However, during some ClassicQuest I stumbled upon this post indicating that nothing in PoG should be considered a plant (makes little sense to me but whatever!):

Quote:
I tried casting the spell "Defoliation" on "a feral amalgame" in Plane of Growth, and got the message:

This spell only works on the plants.

I'm puzzled. Looks like a bug. It HAS to be a plant. It's a flower, with foliage, it appears to have roots, and leaves. It can't not be
Quote:
Actually the Denizens of the Plane of Growth are considered to be Extra Planar creatures, which makes them unlike the normal plants that those spells work on.

- Lawrence Poe
Quote:
Aye, and they also are under the direct protection of the Mother of All, as well as the magical properties of the Plane of Growth itself.

Alan
I do not have a necro to test the current state of everything in PoG, but hope this is evidence enough that nothing at all should be classified as a plant. Someone mentioned the animals were changed to actual animals, but I'm not sure if they also should be falling under this special category (Extra Planar creatures) in PoG.

Doesn't seem to make sense since undead are undead in Hate / Fear and PoM has animals / plants, but such is the inconsistencies of classic I suppose.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:41 AM
Planar Protector

I admire your dedication to classic in posting this.

I'll just mention though at the same time that both Lawrence and Alan were massive cunts, trotting out these BS answers just to justify not having to fix the plant flags on these mobs.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Just in case, posting additional evidence found:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010822...ve/arc29.shtml

Quote:
Defoliation - Necro Spell & Plane of Growth

Well, in the case of discussing what are and are not plants, there are two things to consider. The first is, could it be seen as a plant by some use of the word plant (as the discussion about fungi does), and also whether or not it’s a good idea for the game to consider such things plants.

Obviously if a treant is a plant on Norrath, it’s probably still a plant on the Plain of Growth. But we also have to consider the gameplay repercussions of allowing them to be considered plants on that plane. It’s easy enough to justify not having Defoliation work on them from a roleplaying standpoint (they are at the heart of Tunare, and are therefore more than mere plants). The question there is, would allowing that spell to work on them be too much from a gameplay standpoint? I don’t know the answer to that. I’ll ask.

As for fungus… I hear that some fungus are affected by defoliation and some are not. We’ll probably look into that.