Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Orc

Default Iksar Necro the only Necro?

I see this has been heavily debated and I'm trying to figure out how much race is going to actually matter for Necro. Is this only a small difference or is it so significant it really isn't worth playing anything else? I'm not big into min/maxing but I also really don't want to be extremely under powered.

I see plenty of Dark Elves, Humans, Gnomes, and Erudites roaming around so I feel like it can't be that big of a deal, but I'd really like to hear from some more experienced players on the subject.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Planar Protector

There is no debate when it comes to Necro, Iksar is hands down the best choice when it comes to racial benefits.

Not everyone cares about min/max though and a lot of people choose races for other reasons like starting areas or looks.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

it is significant, but you can still be a good necro if you aren't an iksar.

The only reason I would not pick iksar as a necro would be for the look of some cool races such as gnomes or dark elves.
Cerras - Hierophant // Dharkan - Warlock
Kirua - Assassin // Veuve - Gravelord
Tornade - Warder // Fikko - High Priest
Dikkenek - Warlord // Barraki - Crusader
Old 08-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Fire Giant

I think the real question is..why wouldn't you pick Iksar? It has a clear advantage. The only reasons I can think of would be that Iksar is hated everywhere or aesthetics. Necro is also hated most places anyway and I think a lot of Necro gear has -CHA stats so you might as well embrace the hatred and benefit from it by going Iksar. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If it's just the aesthetics that you don't like and it's enough to make you not roll an Iksar then the benefits don't matter anyway so just pick which one you like the look of best.

I guess the only other reason not to pick Iksar would be the XP penalty but what is the rush in leveling? Want to be better and level a bit slower or be worse and hurry up to a largely stagnant end-game that isn't going anywhere anyway? When you get to end game a bit faster and then there is no new content ever are you going to really be glad you got there a bit faster? I doubt it.
Last edited by EQBallzz; 08-22-2016 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: shpellings
Old 08-22-2016, 11:09 AM
Banned

Iskar master race, necro master class, Iskar + Necro = Winning EQ at the most fundamental level.

You will 100% regret not going Iskar unless you are on your 5th alt and going for role play value
Old 08-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Fire Giant

I was thinking of making another thread but maybe I'll piggy back on your thread to ask this question since it might help you as well. I just created an Iksar Necro last night and was curious what people's thoughts were on allocating points? I read the wiki advice and some other info but it didn't seem definitive to me.

The gist of what I read was that the conversion of HP from STA is not good enough to dump points primarily into STA so it's best to go 25 INT and 5 STA (or even 5 STR for carry weight) and then get +HP gear which has a larger impact than getting HP from STA. I read some people saying splitting points between STA and INT is a good option as it will help in the early levels. I sort of opted for a middle ground and put 10 in STA and 20 in INT.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Iskar master race, necro master class, Iskar + Necro = Winning EQ at the most fundamental level.

You will 100% regret not going Iskar unless you are on your 5th alt and going for role play value
Downside of going Iksar is your eyeball twitches a little bit every time someone juxtaposes the k and s.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Fire Giant

Don't ever switch if you don't roll an iksar necro. You won't notice the difference unless you have a basis for comparison, but if you do it'll be pretty obvious and it will make you sad you spent all that time with the non iksar necro.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Orc

Alright so pretty overwhelmingly Iksar. Iksar it is!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Sarnak

The regen for iskar is pretty huge. I rolled Dark Elf, and see my Iksar peers casting a lot less bond of deaths. However, there isn't anything an iksar is killing that I can't. I just have a little more work to do managing HP.
Closed Thread