Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelonpai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hiya Dioc ^^ In the absence of gear, necromancer will treat you better and if you want an easier time of it, be a lizard :c I do not like lizards to be honest and would probably be a dark elf myself, but lizard regen is a massive boon to necromancy.
Necromancer is definitely easier without any gear, and Iksar regen is great.

People say don't let Iksar be your first character because it's harder since everyone will attack you on site, but my first major character was an Iksar Monk and I loved it.

However, Shamans are a LOT of fun. Buffing and healing people is great. Don't underestimate that. Play what you think is more fun basically.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:25 AM
Fire Giant

If you enjoy root rotting, necro has more dots to play with. Necro also has a lot more abilities than shaman (mez, fear, snare, FD!!!). Still, shaman has some killer abilities, mainly the slow line. With Necro you always have FD if things go south and you can split camps with it, so i would go for that first if solo is your first priority. Necros can be really good in a group, but get a bad rep because of lots of necros not being used to it and trying to use the same tactics as solo.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:53 AM
Banned

Shaman and Necro are among the best solo classes in the game, superior to the chanter IMO because they can heal themselves if things go sideways. As has been stated, Necro can operate naked and be very effective, Shaman has a higher upside but costs half a million plat in gear/spells to get there. Necro epic is quasi impossible to get, shaman epic being much more attainable.

My favorite duo by far is Shaman/Necro – I have a 57 necromancer and am glad I picked necro, but the shaman Epic is so completely OP that you can basically power level yourself to 60 with very little effort. These shaman in CoM will root rot like 15 mobs at a time with no problems due to the free clicky DoT from the spear.

In my opinion you should make a necro and build PP to twink a shaman
Old 09-15-2016, 09:20 AM
Fire Giant

If you're worried about spell / gear prices at all, go necro. You'll be spending 200-250k just on spells to make the shaman viable at 60.

Both are great classes. Necros are really cool. Shamans are completely OP when geared.
Kill Mulder, we take the risk of turning one man's quest into a crusade.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nune
Twitch/Summon Corpse/EE Rez make you somewhat desirable for later on
The biggest problem with Necromancers IMO is Sesserdrix's guide which tells you to twitch bitch. I see good players who should know better doing nothing but 'PLZ POST UR MANA' in guild chat. And ok, in Kunark with all interesting raid targets outdoors and 100% MR immune, there isn't much you can do.

In Velious you can be great DPS heals. Pact of Shadow recourse won't stack with Shadowbond, so you can keep 125+80+80 = 285 hp/tick up on the Rogues and Monks at like 6:1 hp/mana for quite some time, and get your HP back with Touch of Night. You can be solid damage. Sure, Necromancer dots don't stack, but if you have 2-3 necros on a raid, then each gets 1 dot. You can help with a lot of pulls using TL boxes, FD, Steelskin, and DA.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:20 AM
Decaying Skeleton

It's a shame Iksar regen is so OP, all my chars on live were dark elves and The Dead is like my home... plus the image of a dark elf necro buffing himself with dead man's corpse (didn't know what it was but I saw him starting to levitate and was like wow man...) got really engraved in my mind when I started playing EQ as a 14 years old boy.

But... regen is so damn OP... so I just started here with an Iksar necro here.

On the bright side, it's really easy to get plat por spells with those iksar skeletons shields, I started a chanter here who got to 10 and Nektulos is really a pain.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Fire Giant

Red face

Yeah, both iksar regen and field of bone / kurn's tower are pretty super fantastic ^^ Lizards though... :c
Old 09-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Necro is going to be much much much easier to solo to 60. However, shaman has a much higher potential to farm plat camps, the caveat being that you need to be level 60 and have torpor at the least. Torpor is extremely expensive and a rare drop if you want to try to group it yourself. That's pretty much all there is to it.

And when I say much higher potential to farm plat camps, shaman is the single best class for farming high value camps, only other class that comes close is Enchanter, shaman is better in velious.
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Last edited by Hailto; 09-15-2016 at 03:01 PM..
Old 09-15-2016, 05:45 PM
Sarnak

Default My 2cp

Hey there. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] A 60 Necromancer w/epic here, but that's because I had a great guild supporting me.

FYI on Necromancer Epic - it is nice, but your real epic is a Soulwell Staff from Veeshan's Peak. That and some Holgresh Beads make you a mana god. The duck staff is very helpful, but not as beneficial to those around you as that Soulwell Staff which is a clicky lifetap dot.

I adore my class as I can solo in most places, but I would argue that high end soloing has Shaman often taking the cake. Their ability to slow is priceless. In PoM or in WW they can take on high end stuff that summons/unfearable. They can literally solo some of the WW dragons. That's baller.

I'd say go Necromancer. Easy to pick up and put down as a class... You also can get used to playing again and FD there to save you. It allows you to be more bold and lose less progress exploring. Bless that spell. You also can go into some deep, dark, and nasty places to camp and farm yourself up gear or money to gear yourself.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDrake [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey there. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] A 60 Necromancer w/epic here, but that's because I had a great guild supporting me.

FYI on Necromancer Epic - it is nice, but your real epic is a Soulwell Staff from Veeshan's Peak. That and some Holgresh Beads make you a mana god. The duck staff is very helpful, but not as beneficial to those around you as that Soulwell Staff which is a clicky lifetap dot.

I adore my class as I can solo in most places, but I would argue that high end soloing has Shaman often taking the cake. Their ability to slow is priceless. In PoM or in WW they can take on high end stuff that summons/unfearable. They can literally solo some of the WW dragons. That's baller.

I'd say go Necromancer. Easy to pick up and put down as a class... You also can get used to playing again and FD there to save you. It allows you to be more bold and lose less progress exploring. Bless that spell. You also can go into some deep, dark, and nasty places to camp and farm yourself up gear or money to gear yourself.
Necro's can solo farm Torpor. That's all I care about.
Closed Thread