Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustahn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are really admitting to never bothering to look up any quests....

And what is a quest in any mmo than just lieing to yourself that your doing something while grinding? Just search any zone you happen to wander into and see a list of leveled quests. A bunch offering big chunks of xp or huge effort.

EQ is a game of exploration and finding things out yourself, you will never see all the content in a zone on one character as they divided by class/faction.

I think the greater problem is newer games offer a linear railroad of npcs with ! above them offering kill x, that people think is content or not grinding, but it still is.
its really the other way around- I know detail of EVERY SINGLE QUEST in game.
And I know that 75% of them are not even worth touching.
There are some nice starting quest in the lower range (levels 5-15) and then there is a huge gap until like 45+
And there are only a handful of quests that actually produce something useful by the time you can complete them.

As far Xp quests going - giving 100 stacks of bat wings for Xp is not my idea of a quest... Same goes for orc belts, bone chips and a like junk.

There are some good quests that actually worth doing, like Langseax, Paw of Opola, Testament of Venear - but thats it. For a game that spawns 100+ zones, there are less that dozen quests that worth undertaking between level 20 and 50 (raid difficulty quests aside)

Kunark introduced some decent quest lines for Iksar, but old world remained very poorly done for a long time.

I have played every single race and every single class. Some more than once on different servers - as it stands, eq world is mostly empty, like West karana. It does have great lore, but it never really got attached to the gameplay.

As much as I hate doing fedex and generic collection quest (bring me 5 rat tails, 5 wolf tails, 5 bear jaws etc), at least in games like wow you don't sit on the same camp spot for 6 hours straight pulling the same "an_orc_warrior" over and over just to get your Xp bar moving. Yeah I guess you can say that wow is streamlined, but classic eq is just empty...
Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As opposed to what? Let me guess, it's always the argument, as opposed to WoW. Blizzard somehow marketed the idea that grinding 10 minute quests for gold stars is somehow better than what we do in EQ. It's all the rage... so screw EQ because it does not have the superior quest grinding content. EQ needs to be more like WoW, and those that just like the challenge of EQ just need to retire from MMO's because they need to all be like WoW. Am I reading that wrong? That is usually where it goes.
Neither of them is good. Accept that as my stand point.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Neither of them is good. Accept that as my stand point.
Well, there really isn't much beyond that. You have grind quests or grind camps like EQ. EQ has quests, but their not really for grinding, apart from grinding'ish faction. Yes, not for collecting gold stars nor getting shiny equipment. 2004, when many left EQ (since you mentioned 2004), they left for the promised golden star quest grinding game land of WoW. *shrugs* I stuck around a little longer as I watched SOE more aggressively pander to WoW players and make EQ progressively easier. The only alt you have to grinding games are the sandboxes, but EQ isn't a sandbox (though I had wished EQ2 would have been). But doing quests for leveling purposes... is grinding. EQ has plenty of content for 50-75% XP, with camping, faction quests, learning languages hehe, just getting from point A to point B w/o those crappy PoK books, virtually forced grouping with not being able to twink etc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Daywolf; 05-23-2011 at 02:01 AM..
Old 05-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Fire Giant

Default Like Proj 1999 just the way it is

I like project 1999 just the way it is. When I saw that Kunark was coming online I thought, oh here we go, we keep getting expansions until the game is boring again.

The challenge of original EQ is what keeps me playing. Anybody know how far Proj 1999 plans on going with expansions?

I wonder how they could improve on the original, but keep the challenge level the same. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Velious, per official statement
Closed Thread