Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Long Time, No See... EQ-san

久しぶりですね…

Probably 10 years to the day that I quit EQ and actually deleted my characters to make sure I'd never look back.

Well you all know, we look back, we reminisce, we recall the good ol' days. After a few (mildly intoxicated) rounds of bona-fide D&D sessions I remember that I freaking LOVE EQ for all its faults and foibles and God-forsaken UI bugs.

I mean, I'll never forget tanking the balcony of Unrest as a pair of low-40s pallies and making an epic escape jumping off into the grounds below and booking it for the zone while casting complete heals from the SoulFire in my inventory. Normal people just don't 'get' how freaking fun and hilarious and epic that was.

So! Here we are! 10 years later and I got EQ up and running and have joined the ranks of this site's eponymous servers. How about that?

Granted that this community seems more or less committed to preserving the best parts and days of EQ (THANK YOU! ZOMGGG), I think it's safe to assume that I won't be in any rush to blaze through levels (does that mean I should roll a pally again? Oh lord... I hope not...). But that has the added bonus of being a reliable place to go to connect with those lost days.

However, I always loved the community of this game. It was always much more friendly and way more personal than WoW or Guild Wars or other games. Maybe it was because of all those long hours meditating waiting for spawns and having a lot of time to just mull about. Maybe it was because the game forced you to do things yourselves and help each other out and try to empathize with one another. Maybe it was because we are all just THAT freaking lonely. Who knows? I figure the amount of time I've sank into Facebook I could invest just as much on EQ and hopefully have a decent interaction with someone.

So I'm ready to go (when I've got the time. It's not easy being gainfully employed where I live) and if I've time to kill I'd prefer to kill it with y'all.

As mentioned, I played a Paladin back the heyday (Sir Aisen -- "Ace" --, on the Veeshan server if any of the old guildmates still exist and read these forums). Anyone have any experience re-rolling an old char or has played something new and found a new way to enjoy an old game? I've pondered the idea of rolling a cleric just because I know everyone loves healers and I've few excuses to roll a High Elf. I had a Ranger and Shadow Knight as alts in the day as well (because I'm a closet masochist and must play hybrids). They ran well during their time but I was seldom motivated enough to commit to maxing out and doing real raids.

Well that makes about 10 minutes of free-association. Hope to play with y'all soon enough. Nostalgia, ho!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Orc

I find Tanks hard to come by while leveling, seems everyone has a cleric.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Retired Guide

プロジェクト1999へようこそ

Glad to have you join us!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:58 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Welcome!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Aviak

welcome!

Choose what will be fun (or punshing! ~hybrids~) for you and keep us posted or let us know!

Lots that dropped in and said hello in here in the recent months I have been fortunate enough to cross paths with and hope the same with you!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:56 AM
Kobold

Hello,
I think you'll find that the server represents the best of EQ the people are great.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Considering rolling a HE Pally, just for the added drama of making life extra hard. I mean... EVERYONE rolls an Ogre Warrior... right? It's just... obvious!

All this anticipation over what to play never precluded me from playing before, but it's nice to have a good race/class combo to enjoy and get behind for the long haul -- especially since EQ can be so frightfully unforgiving. Exp penalties never stopped me before... of course, I joined EQ when a bunch of IRL friends were available to twink me out. Hmmm...

Pallies may be a pain to level, but I always felt they were perfectly suited for pair work or small groups (3 people - 4 maybe). They can heal off-encounter and tank during fights, and they can save a life or two when the going gets tough.

Plus the later level quests for Ghoulbane and SoulFire are just... cool. I mean (spolier alert), Lucan D'Lere BECOMES one of the main villains in EQ2. Fffff! Really!? I killed that guy! Heck... I carried his sword! I had a personal vendetta going there. That's just groovy!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:14 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Xyco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Considering rolling a HE Pally, just for the added drama of making life extra hard. I mean... EVERYONE rolls an Ogre Warrior... right? It's just... obvious!

All this anticipation over what to play never precluded me from playing before, but it's nice to have a good race/class combo to enjoy and get behind for the long haul -- especially since EQ can be so frightfully unforgiving. Exp penalties never stopped me before... of course, I joined EQ when a bunch of IRL friends were available to twink me out. Hmmm...

Pallies may be a pain to level, but I always felt they were perfectly suited for pair work or small groups (3 people - 4 maybe). They can heal off-encounter and tank during fights, and they can save a life or two when the going gets tough.

Plus the later level quests for Ghoulbane and SoulFire are just... cool. I mean (spolier alert), Lucan D'Lere BECOMES one of the main villains in EQ2. Fffff! Really!? I killed that guy! Heck... I carried his sword! I had a personal vendetta going there. That's just groovy!
Hey, when you get in game send me a tell on my druid, Seredoc, I will hook you up with some stuff I can get. Maybe just banded and some jewelry but I will make sure I fill your slots<insert "That's what he said" here>
Closed Thread