Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok
Default Third-party app rules question

Hello,
I understand that SEQ/MQ is prohibited (and rightly so), as these things give an advantage and provide information that is not otherwise exposed through the client.

However, I assume that log parsing, a la DPS parsing is allowable, as it was in classic. I've started a little .NET project to create a parsing framework for EQ logs. The scope of what it'll achieve isn't strictly laid out (at this point), but is it okay to assume that as long as my only input are log files and that I'm not creating key-presses to the EQ client that this is allowable?

I won't be packet sniffing or reading the client's memory, though I will likely create a few (in-game) macros to dump off the information i require into log files from the client.

For instance, my starter project would produce a map/maps of the zone you're in based on the 'you have entered' text, and /loc would blink that position onto the map.

If deemed allowable, I'd be happy to supply the source / executables to the community once complete.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

I like everything about this post
52 Monk Happytime
Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Planar Protector

The map feature has been disabled on P99. I know people parse the /log files for DPS for bosses and such, but I'd be careful about what you grab from the client.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The map feature has been disabled on P99. I know people parse the /log files for DPS for bosses and such, but I'd be careful about what you grab from the client.
As outlined, nothing is taken from the client, only from the log file.

I'm aware the map feature is disabled, however maps with grid coordinates are provided by the wiki and accessible elsewhere. Simply automating the process of taking a /loc, as indicated from the log file, and pinning it to the map, would be an interim goal.

However, this particular goal itself I don't think is relevant - the question is more, can i make use of the log file as I see fit, in an automated fashion, so long as I'm not causing key-presses to the client from a third party app. This app would run passively, presumably on a second monitor or in a separate window.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:22 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Programs that parse the log file are fine, as long as they do not do any type of automatic control/response/manipulation/macro on your character in place of manual control.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Programs that parse the log file are fine, as long as they do not do any type of automatic control/response/manipulation/macro on your character in place of manual control.
Thanks for the quick response. Now I've got a project for meditation time!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ferok,

If you want a beta tester, let me know. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Win7 64bit.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by greppy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ferok,

If you want a beta tester, let me know. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Win7 64bit.
Surely. I'll post again when I've got something tangible. Right now it's mostly in my head with a little bit of coded structure, but nothing that actually runs!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferok

Surely. I'll post again when I've got something tangible. Right now it's mostly in my head with a little bit of coded structure, but nothing that actually runs!
It's been done EQGPS.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's been done EQGPS.
Thanks, I had no idea.

Here's a link for those wondering: http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ighlight=eqgps

I'm still going to move forward with my development as I'd like to build something a bit more far reaching than just maps. I just chose map positioning as an interim target.