Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Fire Giant

Was on the team of Rallos Zek's Test of Tactics, which was an absolute blast. However, that took place during Kunark era.

Believe it or not, the majority of gear that makes you a far harder opponent in a PvP situation has nothing to do with acquiring it from raids. Fact is, most of it is group-able to obtain, and even more of it is crafted. There were certain pieces I used that a level 30 could obtain for years and years on Rallos Zek.

While true, the raid gear may give you a bit more hp/mana/ac, but that really isn't your goal with your PvP gear until you hit a certain threshold of across the board resists. As a casual raiding Monk, I could wipe the floor with the hardcore raiders on Rallos Zek (MiM, Begotten, ASD, for those who are from RZ). While twinks that were properly geared with resists, and knew what they were doing were by far the harder contender.

tl;dr - No reason to preset gear. It's not hard to even the playing ground. Best of the best (skill, class, gear). Not Best of the Skill.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Kobold

No point in PvP when spell resists are this fucked up. Might as well stack HP gear and see who comes up with the best spell sequence.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalrymer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Other than this info. For 1v1, big decision would probably be: To have set gear, or use what you have. Set gear removes the advantage raid guilds have(mostly) on casual players. But "Use what you have" allows people to show how much work they put in their character as well.

Personally I'm for set gear.
Just my 2 coppers.
if its not set gear I wont even bother to enter... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It also kills incentive for people to prepare. It's called best of the best, not best of the skilled. Preparation and the time/forethought required to be prepared for this event are part of what separated winners from losers. If they give us all the same gear why stop there? How about temporarily leveling everyone to 50?

Go read aftathott's essay on this same subject following winning the bard serverwide botb. This is effectively a pro-am competition and you don't make the pro golfers play with worse clubs or balls to level the comp. IMO make a casual bracket but give money as a reward while giving a title to the winner of the open bracket. Gear is so crappy right now the difference between a good casual and a good raider is pretty minor. It's the rare/quest items that specifically offset good pvpers from the unprepared ones.
sounds like you have good gear [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Aviak

I'm really excited about a BotB and I hope it happens. I won't bother if everyone is given the same skills, gear, or level, that would ruin the whole point of it. EverQuest is not a game of skill, it's a game based entirely on gear; if you think otherwise, you're completely delusional. People worked hard to get gear, it's not our fault that you were lazy about it.

Any word on if this is going to happen?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Large Bat

FFA i participated in had a 2 min buff period and then people were ported inside. no exiting/leving up spires. No items disallowed, no rezzing.

me vs. the last person (as a necro) lasted near 20min, people got bored and the GMs rooted me so i couldn't kite. i lost shortly after and forever held a grudge against my server GM for it..
Old 08-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormiejs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm really excited about a BotB and I hope it happens. I won't bother if everyone is given the same skills, gear, or level, that would ruin the whole point of it. EverQuest is not a game of skill, it's a game based entirely on gear; if you think otherwise, you're completely delusional. People worked hard to get gear, it's not our fault that you were lazy about it.

Any word on if this is going to happen?
Yea we all know gear matters...duh? I think some of peoples point here is why should the poopsockers be consider the best on the server just cause they wait for dragons 24/7? (Just FYI people didn't even do this on live congrats!)

I'm not saying the people with more time shouldn't be giving an advantage as that is part of the game, but what about all the new people on the server myself included. I'm by no means a lazy player as you so put it...I've been playing a little more than a month and already 40. I think the easiest and fairest solution would be to just disallow dragon/god loot from the competition as only the top percent can even get a chance at the gear because of all the camping.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Kobold

Go back through the all the servers BotBs for each class. I doubt you'll find more than 3 or 4 servers winners (out of ALL of the servers) for all of the classes that werent in the top guild or 2nd/3rd best guild.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Aviak

The only FFA I remember was the one with Hybrid/Melee and Casters/Priests

I won the FFA as a DE warrior - Saved all my disc's till the end, was epic. Though the GMs limiting the final 4 to the top of the platform kind of took away the strengths of a kiting ranger/bard and made them die [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Resists are currently based on a 400 max resist cap instead of 200 or 255.
For classic that's a bit too steep (unless you are a bard with a snazy drum and resist potions).
Closed Thread