Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 03:42 AM
Sarnak

Default In Defense of Agility

Agility has a really bad rap here on Project 1999. It's my understanding that EQ-EMU has some code issues with Armor Class and how it really affected gameplay on Live.

However, I'm here to talk about the measurable effects we can test and confirm here on our server as it is. I thought everyone should know why Agility CAN matter.

Agility should be at least 75 and has a negligible addition to AC. This is what we've all been told over and over, what is listed on the wiki, and what most of us base gear choice and starting statistics on. And I agree, it SHOULD be at least 75 and DOES have a near useless effect on defense in melee.

What people seem to forget is that Agility begins to decrease rapidly below 20% Hit Points and movement speed falls in relation to this loss. My point is that when fighting creatures that can kill you if a spell gets interrupted or an unexpected add joins the fight, most of us will try to run away in order to save the exp loss of a death.

Having high Agility modifiers in this situation has saved me more times than I can count. Being able to retain that extra bit of run speed when fleeing a bad situation is a big deal and can save a load of exp as your character progresses.

I'm not saying that players should prioritize Agility. If you're falling below 20% regularly you may want to reconsider your hunting options. But if there's two items of armor that appear to be a toss up on stats, do remember this post. I just felt like Agility deserved some time in the Sun after a long dark exile as a "useless" stat.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:30 AM
Planar Protector

I remember seeing a really interesting post on live by one of the devs.

The impression I got was the sum of Agility and AC went under the same cap, with preference given to AC first. This meant if you had a really high AC any excess agi would be wasted. The implication was the logs that suggested agi gave no benefit over 75 were flawed; the research was done by characters with capped out AC for their level.

It would be interesting to go back on time and see if the implication was true; whether by wearing less AC you would be able to benefit from a larger proportion of your AGI.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Sarnak

On live we would lose endurance from melee... does AGI effect endurance? If so then AGI would be far more meaningful if we could lose endurance through melee
Old 03-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohab [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On live we would lose endurance from melee... does AGI effect endurance? If so then AGI would be far more meaningful if we could lose endurance through melee
I believe endurance is a fixed stat. It is only expended from jumping and wielding heavy weapons with low str iirc. Someone else may be able to expand on this ^^
Old 03-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Planar Protector

"Endurance" isn't a stat at all in the classic era; it's more properly called stamina. The stamina bar went down from jumping, swimming, and attacking. In most cases stamina regeneration was greater than expenditure so the yellow bar tended not to move. The exception was with heavy weapons (wurmslayer!) and especially dual wielding moderate to heavy weapons. Nothing would change the stamina loss, but having over 100 stamina would reduce the negative effect of running out to merely being unable to jump.

When P1999 first opened there was a sort of hackjob simulation of yellow bar drain, but it couldn't be made to work right on this client (drain rate was far too bad) so was disabled.

Agility gets ignored because folks have to pick and choose their stats and most the time there are more important stats to work on. Agility isn't entirely useless but it provides less overall benefit than stamina or strength.

Danth
Old 03-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Planar Protector

the days of warriors asking for zing

/sniffle
Old 03-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Secrets had a great post on Stamina, that she pulled from the EQMac code. It's somewhere on the boards here...
Old 03-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the days of warriors asking for zing

/sniffle
Remember Everquest classic? Ele remembers.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Banned

but if you're a warrior you never slow down
Old 03-18-2015, 12:15 AM
Planar Protector

Agility is underrated. Tanks not requesting that buff should be banished to Dead99..er Red99.
Closed Thread