Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Aviak

Default Advice please - desktop purchase

I wonder if anyone with some computer-savvy bones can help me out.

It’s time to upgrade my 5 year old graphics card, along with the entire 7 year old desktop PC. My dinosaur uses a graphic card with 256MB and system RAM is 1GB.

The computer shops here are poor for customer service (not enough demand I suppose) – they won’t help me with research or build it for me even if I select the components for them to order in, so I’m stuck with buying something off the shelf.

I looked at Alienware and their ‘build a pc’ pages and I can get system RAM starting at 4GB and going up to 16GB. For graphics I can buy a 1GB Radeon card, or a 1.5GB Nvidia card, or either option with 2GB.

I just don’t know enough to make a smart choice. Does a 2GB video card blow you away compared to 1GB? And how much RAM is enough?

Bearing in mind I’m not much of a FPS gamer (my layman’s assumption is that the higher end hardware is aimed at those games), but let’s say I’m interested in playing MMORPGs and 2011-2013’s single player games with all the graphic option sliders turned up to max.

Let's assume money is no object (or rather, let's assume my wife never sees the credit card statement). Any wise words?
Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Planar Protector

Be a loser get a tablet lolol
Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

What are you going to use it for? Like what is the most demanding stuff on it.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Sarnak

Well, just from what I understand about alienware, is you are paying extra for it being "Alienware" brand, meaning often times you can get the same specs, but a less expensive computer that is just as good, for a lower price.
Though Alieware does tend to look really cool.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Fire Giant

Here's what I would do (have done): Find a decent pre-built machine (BestBuy, Frye's or wherever). Swap out the power supply with the best you can find and insert an improved video card. Quick, simple and relatively easy!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are you going to use it for? Like what is the most demanding stuff on it.
Nothing super-strenuous.

Right now the most demanding stuff on it is Dragon Age Origins (from 2009) or when I 3-box on another EQemu with the graphics turned down.

Someone bought me FF XIV and I can't even run it on my current rig.

I'll probably buy Starcraft II at some point. Diablo III. I'll watch movies.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here's what I would do (have done): Find a decent pre-built machine (BestBuy, Frye's or wherever). Swap out the power supply with the best you can find and insert an improved video card. Quick, simple and relatively easy!
Thanks Zereh, if BestBuy or a place like that will ship that sounds like a good plan. The nearest BestBuy or Circuit City is 600 miles away.

My problem is just to figure out which improved video card to get. I don't want to get one and then in 6 months time a game comes out which makes it stutter.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Planar Protector

I generally mailorder most my components from Newegg.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Fire Giant

Try NewEgg. I've had great luck with them.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Kobold

Wait, if you know how to swap a psu (and therefore all the cables), then what's the point of buying a prebuilt in the first place? That's going to cost you extra money, not just from the fact that you're buying a prebuilt, but buying a prebuilt only to swap out two of the components.

If you can't figure out how to select components for your PC, I suggest beginning with a DIY combo deal. If you want to go semi-custom, choose a combo that doesn't have the full complement of PC components. Also, if you want to get a rough idea of what your PC might cost/some ideas for your build, Tom's has several configurations readily available for review.

Once you build your own computer, you'll never turn back to prebuilts. It's NOT difficult, and if you can't intuitively figure out the assembly, your mobo will have a manual (as will the chassis.)

As they ground to make XP holy . . . let us twink to make it free; our EQ marches on!
Closed Thread