Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Aviak

Default Error 1018 conditions are possibly not implemented correctly

Related Patch Note History
See http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...highlight=1018
On February 14, 2010, a patch rolled out that included these two notes:
  • Rogean: The infamous Error 1018 is making its return; Attempting to enter the server with an active character will no longer be possible until that character is removed from the world.
  • Rogean: Due to the above change, Linkdead characters will now be kicked after 30 seconds of no aggro, or 3 minutes on aggro.
See: http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...highlight=1018
On March 9, 2010, a patch rolled out that included this note:
  • Rogean: Attempting to enter the server while previously being disconnected during zoning will allow you to enter, and will kick off the zoning character, instead of receiving 1018. Upcoming.
Since then, no other mention to Error 1018 has been made in any patch notes. There is a buggy implementation of this specific "active character" check that cannot be explained by anything other than a server side implementation. Let me explain why.

Problem Description
I have two accounts that will experience this problem at random times from any computer, IP, or location even when the characters are never logged into the world. I have tried every "solution" presented on the forums from other users such as re-installation of EQ, trying different computers, trying different routers, and deleting character UI/.ini files without any success. See my tests performed below (bold indicates uniqueness of the test).

Tests Performed
Test 1, Setup: Main computer, main router, main modem, main IP.
Test 1, Login: Type in user/pass combination, click Login, success to server select. Select P1999, Error 1018 will present itself.

Test 2, Setup: Secondary computer, main router, main modem, main IP.
Test 2, Login: Type in user/pass combination, click Login, success to server select. Select P1999, Error 1018 will present itself.

Test 3, Setup: Main computer, main router, main modem, renewed IP.
Test 2, Login: Type in user/pass combination, click Login, success to server select. Select P1999, Error 1018 will present itself.

Test 3, Setup: Friend's computer 1000+ miles away, friend's router, friend's modem, friend's IP.
Test 3, Login: Type in user/pass combination, click Login, success to server select. Select P1999, Error 1018 will present itself.

Wait 1 hour, repeat tests, same results.
Wait 6 hours, repeat tests, same results.
Wait 24 hours, repeat tests, Error 1018 does not present itself, logout without selecting a character.
Wait 24 more hours, repeat tests, Error 1018 resurfaces even though no character has been selected to enter the world at the character select screen.

Conclusion and Thoughts
  • I have never experienced this error on any other EQEmu server.
  • Two of my three LS accounts are affected. The working account has never seen this problem.
  • Changes to network setup have no effect.
  • Changes to EverQuest installation have no effect.
  • Error 1018 will persist for hours and hours (patch note says character should be dropped after 3 minutes).
  • Using /camp will not prevent this error from occurring.

I have no way of confirming the exact behavior of the conditions under which Error 1018 occurs, because I don't have access to the P1999 source code. However, I think it's fairly suspect that a straggling crossed-out patch note is the final indication of any change made to its behavior. This problem is persistent, affects a moderate amount of people, and completely negates the ability to play on this server. As such, I feel this bug should at least be researched and/or addressed.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Aviak

Still happening.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Aviak

I also am experiencing this issue. For many weeks. Here is my thing

On my eqemu I made another sub-account, that sub-account experiences the 1018 error. I.E. I have 2 other eqemu accounts totally separate and I can log on to either one of those at any time without issue. But if I try to login to the one account that is a subaccount on eqemu (with no other characters online on any other account I have) then I get 1018. I have been experiencing this issue for months. Not a huge deal to me, I just have a lvl 9 sk on that account that I play for spare time but I would like to get on it now to get his stuff off and better use it. I will re-make the toon somehow on a completely different eqemu account that is not a subaccount. Submitting another ticket to just be able to get back onto this account.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Aviak

I've found that submitting a ticket to rectify this issue is a bad idea. The ticket is just archived without any communication.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Aviak

Fixing this bug would cut down on about 1/3rd of the Technical Discussion posts.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Aviak

Still happening.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Developer

It's now happened to me! Now I can't test [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Fire Giant

I have this bug as of today, I havnt played for 3 days and come online to have some fun and do some trades and got this retarded 1018 error. Waited for hours now and still have it.. this sucks.

My other accounts work just fine , but not my main.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Developer

It was probably a coincidence. It worked for me after I reset my router and flushed my dns. I also copied over my backup directory to be sure.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 AM
Fire Giant

I have now been afflicted with this terrible disease. I /ex'd out of my toon about 4 hours ago now and have not been able to log on since.

Resetting DNS/Router does not work, I don't think this is on a problem on the client side...