Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 11-13-2023, 07:07 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Has Blackburrow drops been nerfed?

Started playing on that side of Norrath, and it does not feel right. I knew Blackburrow like the back of my hand back in 1999. This is what does not seem right.

1) Giant Snakes. In 1999 they dropped up to 2 giant snake fangs at a time or they could drop up to one giant fang and a poison sack together. Now you only get one fang per snake and that drop appears to be uncommon. Poison sacks are rare.

2) Cracked staffs. Seems those are now rare drops not only in Blackburrow, but in all the starting zones.

3) Collar drops from Elite Gnolls now appear to be rare drops. These things use to rain into our backpacks.

4) Pathing has changed from what I remember. Now mobs jump from ledges instead of taking the long way around like they use too. No more advantage training out using the terrain to get some distance.

I am not up to taking Commanders yet, but I assume Rusty Shoulderpads are going to be ultra-rare?
Old 11-13-2023, 08:58 PM
Aviak

I cant speak to the drops, but I think there is a small window where if you try to use the terrain to exploit pathing(just calling it what it is, no judgement [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] and the mob who is pursuing you is like in melee range in proximity when you change your position, they will warp up to where you are. If you put a little space between you and the mob, with enough time, it will take the long way! Hope this helps!
Elijamonk - 59.5 Monk
Wardru - 60 Druid
Old 11-15-2023, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

I generally err on the side of drop rates being classic since Nilbog knows way more about this than any of us. That being said, I'm sure some of this is guesswork based on patch notes, data mining code (which may be non-classic era code), and things like old forum posts. They do the best they can with this stuff.

The good news is that if you can find evidence online that something on P99 is incorrect they will usually make an effort to change it eventually (unless it's something that's been deliberately nerfed, e.g. certain item recharge costs etc.).
Old 11-25-2023, 10:37 AM
Banned

Yeah at this point in the server's life pretty much anything that seems off compared to what you remember is probably something they can't fix for some technical reason. The titanium client is from much farther into Everquest's history than the time period p99 is trying to emulate. That's why the sky looks different, the boat models are different and you levitate on them, stamina doesn't work properly etc.

If it hasn't been changed by now either they can't, or somebody needs to find concrete evidence of how something should be.
Old 11-25-2023, 04:58 PM
Developer

1) Giant Snakes. In 1999 they dropped up to 2 giant snake fangs at a time or they could drop up to one giant fang and a poison sack together. Now you only get one fang per snake and that drop appears to be uncommon. Poison sacks are rare. You're right, giant snake fangs were too rare. I've increased their drop rate, pending update.

2) Cracked staffs. Seems those are now rare drops not only in Blackburrow, but in all the starting zones. These used to be too common on p99, but they were adjusted years ago to match classic research. There are always exceptions to mobs whom only dropped blunt weapons, but cracked staves generally shared loot tables with a long list of weapon types, thus they were not considered common.

3) Collar drops from Elite Gnolls now appear to be rare drops. These things use to rain into our backpacks. I also found these were too rare, increased drop rate pending update.

4) Pathing has changed from what I remember. Now mobs jump from ledges instead of taking the long way around like they use too. No more advantage training out using the terrain to get some distance. Pathing was recreated here so it's not going to be an exact copy from live. It's also been intentionally adjusted to avoid exploits where needed.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:47 PM
Planar Protector

Telin stays putting in hard work!
Old 11-26-2023, 09:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's also been intentionally adjusted to avoid exploits where needed.
ROFL. This made me laugh. The inverse at some other places could be considered an exploit using this logic, because instead of pathing all the down, they jump ledges which prevents mobs at the bottom from agroing. Which isnt classic.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pathing was recreated here so it's not going to be an exact copy from live. It's also been intentionally adjusted to avoid exploits where needed. [/COLOR]
I still remember the pathing update here (Haynar?), yeesh.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks Telin!
Old 11-27-2023, 05:45 PM
Banned

Telin is responsible for the incredible sky vistas that are in P99. He did incredible work on these graphics that will last as long as folks play EQEmu.

You rock, Telin. Thank you for all that you do.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=183118