Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Skeleton

Default EC tunnel feed

I no longer play on this server. I do however have terminal server I can launch p99 in and live feed the desktop to a service such as twitch.TV. I was curious as to whether or not this is legal or if people even want a service like this. Just keep a second monitor with a web browser open and the feed on. I would need a significant amount of people going to use this in order for me to take the time to set it up. I will request absolutely no fee and do this just as a courtesy to the community of p99
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

I would use this all the freaking time, and I would love you forever for it.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Aviak

I would also use this whenever I am playing and even sometimes when I am not. I am sure the people trying to sell their wares would appreciate this.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Skeleton

If I could just get verification from a gm that would be all it takes to get it started. Also I don't remember if p99 has an idle timer. This may also be an issue as to I will have minimal face time with the machine and don't have the time to turn my toon every 10 mins or whatever
Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

No idle timer and there was a thread like this yesterday where someone was charging people plat for a live text feed on EC tunnel and GM's ruled it illegal because of the charging part. If your doing it for free there should be no issue with it. Also i would use it on a regular basis.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

My internet sucks so I can't really have a twitch feed running 24/7. I'd still use the text one.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Banned

I think you are fine to do this, the person who attempted it last time was doing so subscription based on plat. this is what the guide had to say about that:

"This would be considered a violation of our policy. It will be providing a service for in game items. Doing so will get you banned."

I do not believe there is an idle timer, I've been online and end up falling asleep and forget that I'm logged in for a weekend...and I'd still be online when I came back.

**I would use this all the time
Old 03-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Aviak

Add my name to the list of those that would be eternally grateful for something like this. Can those types of streams be accessed via Ipad?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Sarnak

Very useful for me as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Fire Giant

A couple months ago I created eastcommonlands.com (warning, only "has price" and "wtb/wts" filters work at the moment) which has a live stream of EC (currently delayed to 10 second refresh rate, hopefully this save the crappy back end from dying after I make this post). Its free to use and is simply EQ running a Windows VPS with the logs being parsed into a MySQL database and a Django front end.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to finish this yet but all it really needs is someone to complete the UI and add some pricing graphs for specific items, etc. I planned to use Google's Chart API to offload this work from the server, allow for live graphs, and its easy. If anyone wants to step up and assist me with this I'll pay for the server (unless it becomes too expensive, but its there now) and assist when I'm able. Anyone who knows Django or wants to learn it, or wants to redo the front end, let me know.

The only other concern is that you do get disconnected from EQ occasionally and automating the login process would violate the server rules. This means someone has to manually restart the EQ client. Then there is the other aspect of "two boxing", running this EQ client means someone has a character in game, it has to be owned by someone who isn't playing another character. This has been another hurdle to me leaving it up.

I guess I'm asking for two volunteers:

1. Someone who doesn't play here and can get an E-mail/SMS/etc at random times and is willing to use Remote Desktop to connect to this Windows server and restart EQ.

2. Someone who wants to continue to develop the UI for eastcommonlands.com so that it has item links to historical pricing information, etc. I can assist you with this if you're a novice web developer.
Last edited by azxten; 03-30-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Closed Thread