Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Kobold

Default The sad truth about technology and EQ.

Let's be real, ventrilo and teamspeak have changed the game...for the worse imo.

From Classic til when I quit in LDoN, my guild and I believe all of the guilds on the server never used TS/Ventrilo. The game was much more fun having to type shit and play at the same time, even when raiding...making it more strategic and actually making raids more cohesive.

I for one, still refuse to use TS/Ventrilo and it's a shame that ALL raiding guilds require this in order to be considered. This shit ain't classic and I am still against using this as a medium to communicate to people.

Lets make the stand and fight technological advancements that have actually removed a critical and nostalgic aspect that we used to have in EQ back in the day.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Aviak

Couldn't agree more.

Though I'm not to raiding yet, there have been a few instances where group members have asked me to log on to TS or Vent. I refused.

I barely even talk to my mother on the phone (I know I'm a horrible son). Why do I want to sit in a group with whoever you are for hours listening to you breathe through your mouth?

Raids doing this exponentially increase the idiocy of it.

People say that these new tools make raiding more efficient. I'd argue that it doesn't. I only makes it easier for lazy people to not pay attention. Macros are an easy way to automate a lot of repetative processes. Just make some.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd argue that it doesn't. I only makes it easier for lazy people to not pay attention.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Planar Protector

I imagine what you say is true. I say "imagine" because I've never allowed TS/Vent to affect my gaming, but the idea turns me off. I don't and never intend to use any voice system.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Personally I just play with good players. That way we don't need vent, and then if we do want to use it, it isn't full of retards. Yay!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Fire Giant

So hard to mangina with vent....SIGH!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Fire Giant

I'm sorry Vent and EQ are not fun for you. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The guilds I have been in have had some mighty good times!
Pickahippy - 52 Druid
All priest, all the time.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

I can't stand vent, not only in eq i just really don't like the program and how its setup.

One live our guild used teamspeak once, and never again, only about 5 of us officers and barely even spoke because there was no point...

On p99 I like vent, in a completely non required to play way. I like to talking to the people i've met here and it can be A LOT of fun, but i still prefer to keep it out of my game. I prefer typing and reading to listening and speaking, thanks classic everquest

Oh yea .... Piss Off.

H
Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thana8088 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sorry Vent and EQ are not fun for you. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The guilds I have been in have had some mighty good times!
I've used vent to record podcasts with my friends (3 or 4 of them). I've used it if I've had a project to work on with someone long distance. It's been fun for sure!

But these are people who are my close friends and family. There is a specific goal to complete, and a timeframe I can expect to be on Vent for... similar to a phone call.

Using these tools in a game like eq is a completely different. You're on it for an indefinate amount of time usually (read: while poopsocking or tracking), often times for multiple hours. Guilds are larger, and you may not necessary like everyone in the chat. Some people's mics might not be properly calibrated (too loud or quiet) making even listening to it annoying.

What's worse, is it absolutely destroys the immersion, at least for me. Not just for EQ but in any MMO I've played. while on vent the game is no longer an adventure. It's a damned video call where I have the appearance of a grinning ogre or whatever my avatar might be at the time. On top of that, this video chat requires me to do something for people who are constantly talking in my ear about god knows what. Sometimes it's relavant, sometimes it's not.

Finally, I've got to wear a headset mic. I'm assuming most others do this too. I did that for 6 years at my job previous to my current one and hated it. The last thing I want to do is put one on in my free time.

Just a few reasons why I don't like using vent or TS while gaming here [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] And besides, shit's classic!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

This technology was around by late 1999 (see: Roger Wilco). Many folks still had dialup and didn't use it back then.

I made considerable use of voice communication in shooter and flight sim games, but I've never cared for it in role-playing games. It's not quite so beneficial in role-playing games and the slower pace of gameplay tends to promote a greater proportion of idle chatter that I don't care to listen to.

Danth
Closed Thread