Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 06:24 AM
Sarnak

Default Wiki Gear Guides

Dear all,

We've run in to an issue with the current gearing guides on the wiki, where there are so many template includes (to generate the mouse overs for each item) that the per-tier pages are starting to not save.

Initially my thoughts were to split out the pages into per-class rather than per tier; that way each page would have 12 pages with 5 gear guides; rather than 5 pages with 12 gear guides. My hope was that once I was finished that I could simple include the class gear guides into the tier guides using {{#lsth:}}, but the save crashed when I tried that.

There are a few options that I can think of
1. Leave it as it is - and run into saving problems when more gear is added - these per-tier pages are getting pretty big!
2. Leave it as it is but convert the mouse overs to plain links.
3. Switch it to Class pages instead of Tier pages with mouse overs, but at the cost of retiring the per-tier pages.
4. Switch it to Class pages but keeping Tier pages without mouse overs, and keep the per-tier pages as a reformat of the class pages.

For the moment I've reverted the changes to the class pages; even though they were working as desired because I didn't want just get rid of the Tier pages.

The reason for me asking is three fold
1. How attached are people to having the mouse-overs for gear guides
2. How attached are people to having the per-tier pages
3. What do people think about switching the layout to be per-class rather than per-tier (both from an editing and reading point of view)

Thanks.