Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Sarnak

Default Suggested class-combinations for a trio?

Fellow Norrathian, fellow addicts,

I started on P99 in early 2014, stopped playing for a while and came back in 2015. Love it as much as I did back on live. Enjoy my time in Norrath. Discover zones I've never been to in the past, do quests I did not back then, even do some tradeskills which I never did in the old days. Not rich, no powerleveller. Easy, laid back gaming. Enjoying the ride to 60. Mostly play solo though. First char was a wizard, but had more fun with a monk and a cleric.

So now I might convince some RL friends to join me in Norrath. One evening a week, laid back gaming. We have done so in other games, GW2 was last. But I got bored by racing through the content. That game is as convenient as all the mmorg's are nowadays. No game was ever as challenging and rewarding as EQ still is on P99.
One of my friends was with me on EQ back in the old days on live, the other one does not know the game at all. He loves playing healers, did so in other games. So one position is set: a healer. Probabely cleric. Easy enough to start out and get into the oldschool gaming. Now here is, where I would like to hear your opinions on the other two roles. Other friend and I could imagine any of the other existing classes. I thought of a Dwarven trio: Cleric, Warrior/Paladin and a Rogue. That would probabely make a nice trio. Have never played a tank and Paladin is probabely the one class I have thought about the least so far. So why not? Your thoughts about WAR or PAL? Other suggestions for a trio including a cleric? Maybe Enchanter and Monk for some dungeon crawling?

Cheers,
Zabli, IKS MNK
Rnolda, DWF CLR
Old 08-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Fire Giant

Tank is up to you but I would add enchanter. Cleric/insert tank here/enchanter. With this combo you can do any dungeon and if you need more dps its easy to fill with a random pug.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jon3s [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tank is up to you but I would add enchanter. Cleric/insert tank here/enchanter. With this combo you can do any dungeon and if you need more dps its easy to fill with a random pug.
+1

You can nearly make anything work based on a cleric, but the above would be my first pick.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Fire Giant

Cleric Mage Enchanter. Zero cost for equipment. Spells will probably be rough but cheaper than melee gear. If you die with this group, you're probably new to MMO
Old 08-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Kobold

Cleric/Warrior/Druid
Old 08-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Fire Giant

cleric ench monk, you had it right OP.

This trio can do anything. Monks obv can pull pretty much anything and if they are having a hard time ench can lull. If they still get more you have mez. Monk can tank really well. I tanked with my monk from the start up to 53 when I stopped playing him. He's not gonna tank raid mobs, but he can tank anything a group would try to take on.

Ench gives cleric crack and monk speed and slows mobs. Ench is best dps in the game because of charm. Also best CC in the game. Cleric can CH charmed pet. Once you get higher level mobs have tons of hp, so the charmed mob will also have tons. They are overpowered monsters and they are great fun to play.

Cleric is the best heals in the game and with crack and ench slowed mobs you will be fom the whole time. Trust me with this trio, the cleric will be nuking, even when you are not fighting undead.

I did this trio for a few months with 2 random people I met on the server and we did incredibly well. It's fun and versatile.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Sarnak

Cleric and Ench.
Add any tank. War, Pal, Monk, SK. Just depends on which your friend would like to play.
Hell, you might even be able to keep a Ranger alive!
Old 08-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlievox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cleric and Ench.
Add any tank. War, Pal, Monk, SK. Just depends on which your friend would like to play.
Hell, you might even be able to keep a Ranger alive!
Pretty much what he says other than keeping a Ranger alive. I doubt it in Velious.. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty much what he says other than keeping a Ranger alive. I doubt it in Velious.. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends on how the Ranger gears. Gear a Ranger to tank (i.e. ac+hp) and you're solid with slows & heals (either Shaman or Enchanter + [priest]), Ranger agro is pretty amazing when it's applied deliberately. Gear a Ranger for stats and you're a squishy without a robe. Even so, for a tank to join Cleric+Enchanter I'd say Paladin & SK are best.

Exception: If the Enchanter is willing and able to pull, a Warrior would give better damage output and better damage resistance than a knight in exchange for the Enchanter and Cleric having to handle pulling and much of agro management. Would be slower XP than Cleric+Enchanter duo, but safer as the Warrior could keep current target occupied when dealing with charm break, and that added safety plus Warrior damage output would allow you to kill faster and mitigate the XP reduction.

As an added bonus, a Warrior+Cleric+Enchanter trio would bring back memories of the Velious/Luclin "holy trinity" days on live, where the unwashed masses of uncreative & unthinking EQ players were convinced that only a group founded on those three classes could succeed in dungeon content.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

high elf pally +high elf wizard +high elf enchanter/ wood elf druid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune View Post
Dance puppets dance.
Closed Thread