Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:22 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Questions from a prospective new player

Hi all. I played eq on Rallos Zek for several years back in the day. More recently Ive been on blue p99 and for the last couple of months on the live TLPs. I'm thinking of rolling on red and had a couple of questions I was hoping you guys would answer.

I like playing casters. Back in the day on Rallos Zek everyone just stacked resist gear and caster damage was rather gimp. Is this how it works on red 99?

I often enjoy solo play. Assuming casters aren't completely gimp, which would make for a better solo ganker/stalker, druid or wizard? Ive kidn of boiled my choices down to those two.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Planar Protector

People here are just as smart as people were on Live, and some of them are smarter. Naturally the most important stats for everyone are resists, magic in particular as always.

Still, wizards are good for murder even when people stack resist gear.

Druids are better all around for both PVP and solo. For PVP they are more durable with heal spells and much more variety. For solo they can root rot tricky dungeons and overall are just a more versatile class in every way.

Wizard is good for dropping a bomb on a person with lower health and getting a kill. Great for PKing and by that I mean going out with the explicit goal of killing a player, which will mean looking for some poor low HP sap fighting a mob and 1 shotting them. Not a good all around PVP character because they die so quickly and have no way of quickly getting mana. Not a very great solo PVE character, but not the worst.

Druid is a good class to enjoy the game and if you are good at PVP the druid is a good class overall.

I personally would recommend an ogre shaman. Very good solo and pvp, and can solo some monster stuff in velious.

If you don't want to be evil than the druid is a good way to go.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 08-10-2015 at 11:34 PM..
Old 08-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Sarnak

Everybody seems to stack fire and thus making druids redundant with regards to killing. They do however make a great support class.

Wizards put people down with lures so are much more consistent killers.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Fire Giant

he's not asking you to explain classes. he's asking if playing a caster will fuck him in the end.

Considering this server stops at Velious and melee are OP more than ever, i would suggest making a monk if you can get someone to hook you up with some starter gear/weapons.

if its your first char on box I would suggest making a mage honestly. You can lvl it up to 50+ easy as hell grp in fast xp zones or solo at cash camps. You require zero gear, focus items and nice stuff can be found in najena, you should not bother with any research. and within 1-2 weeks of decent play time you will have a farming toon making you lots of plat to gear up a monk or epic a lvl 1 rogue.

easy peezy
Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Fire Giant

then you can join empire
Old 08-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGONBAIT [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
then you can join empire
This person is mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakaris View Post
My brother is an award winning body builder and I'm faster bigger and stronger than him.
The Dukes Vengeance
Old 08-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Fire Giant

and not so intelligent
Old 08-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Banned

Real Talk.

If you are going to make a caster, make a wizard.
Wizard epic is attainable for any decent guild you join now, and in pvp it is amazing.

Druids are a joke as long as you carry a pumice. Mages cant do shit, necros are a joke unless you are AFK.

Even with Velious gear giving tons of resists and HP, you can still nuke someone for 500 damage that can't be resisted, and you don't have to be near them, or even see them, so IMO Wizards will always be viable and the only caster class to consider for pvp.

-fin
Old 08-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uton [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and not so intelligent

still dont know who u are
Old 08-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Sarnak

Casters are strong as long as you are careful. Rolling a melee as your first toon on red99 is gonna be ruff, but its possible, i did it.
Closed Thread