Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Planar Protector

Default Damage over Time display

June 11th 2003 patch:

Quote:
Reporting Damage Over Time - Damage over Time (DoT) done to NPCs will now be reported to the caster every time it does damage. These messages can be filtered in the Options window.
http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20030611a.html

Basically you should not get a message every tic that it does damage. Only a landing and a worn off message for your DoTs. Below, the bolded shouldn't display in game until post PoP.

[Mon Feb 20 12:43:46 2012] You begin casting Drones of Doom.
[Mon Feb 20 12:43:57 2012] a young puma has taken 34 damage from your Drones of Doom.
[Mon Feb 20 12:44:03 2012] a young puma was hit by non-melee for 34 points of damage.

[Mon Feb 20 12:44:03 2012] You have slain a young puma!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Bump
Old 03-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Planar Protector

I think it's important to know how much damage is being done and how many times it's ticking so that we can properly bug report these spells, even if it's not entirely classic.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 03-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think it's important to know how much damage is being done and how many times it's ticking so that we can properly bug report these spells, even if it's not entirely classic.
easily done without the message.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galanteer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
easily done without the message.
Without a message I don't see how anyone would know if a spell was doing the correct amount of damage. Take for example Bard dots, which can be modified by instruments to do more damage, and which recently were ticking more often than they should have been. If you have several dots going at once you're not going to notice if one is only ticking 3 or 4 times. You're also not going to notice if an instrument is giving an incorrect modifier, unless the difference is huge. It's just better to keep it the way it is.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
Old 03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not classic
Old 03-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

I don't think seeing how much damage your dot's do would change the overall feel or gameplay in P99.

especially if the only person who got the message was the person casting the DoT

and even then if they were hardcore fanatics could just turn a filter on to block it out.

So as an option it doesn't seem like a bad idea.. like there are options for other non "classic" stuff like luclin models or w/e else you can think of.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycloud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not classic
I know you're being facetious but it actually helps the server be more classic for people to be more able to find bugs and report them. Such as those I mentioned above.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Sarnak

I am on the fence here.

If we had a full support team doing background work on a test server or something that had access to this information, we wouldnt need it.

As it is, the players are the ones that do most of the in game bug finds, and report them. It would be quite hard to inform the staff of something being wrong with a paticular spell, when you cant see it.

Im a " its classic" guy myself But i feel, like the few things left out , this should be left in.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Developer

Don't see this getting changed until all expansions are done and spells are finalized.