Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Skeleton

Default Tips for a 40 Ogre Warrior?

I feel like I see other tanks out-dpsing me and generally holding aggro better, so looking for some tips on gear or strategy. Non-twink and first character on server, not raiding at this time.

I have about 3k to spend, but enjoy questing for good rewards as well.

Right now, I am wearing:

Diamondine Earring (x2)
Crested Helm
Sarnak-Hide Mask
Crafted Breastplate
Crafted Vambraces
Straw Spun Belt (needs an upgrade)
Crafted Bracers (x2)
Crafted Greaves
Cobalt Gauntlets
Golden Opal Amulet (yeah, this could be upgraded I know)
Werewolf Hide Cloak
Crested Spaulders
Cobalt Boots
Platinum Fire Wedding Band (x2)

For weapons I have to choose from:
1H:
Acid Etched War Blade (Ykesha proc)
Green Jade Broadsword
Beetle stinger (Steal strength proc)
Lamentation
Kunzar Ku'jach (Engulfing darkness proc)

2H:
Firerune Brand

Range:
Runed Oak Bow

Thinking about buying Staff of Battle (if I can ever afford it) or Shimmering Partisan (for off hand).

I know aggro is best held by procs, so thinking about trying the Acid Etched Warblade and Kunzar Ku'jach (left this one in the bank until I dinged 40, which just happened).

Stats (with armor, unbuffed):
STR 179
STA 170
DEX 72

Read the warrior guide on the wiki, going with AC over stat bonuses as much as possible, but can change that if needed, such as wearing those 2 cobalt pieces even though I can't use buffs from them for a few levels instead of crafted.

I'm only seeing 20-30 damage per hit of weaps, is this good/normal? What gear could I buy on my budget to make this better (keeping in mind non-twink, current non-raider)? Or should I just be happy with what I have for now?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Sarnak

Just get 2 ssoy if you're worried about aggro. If you want dps, lammy MH and some good ratio OH if fine, wurmslayer if you can afford.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Sarnak

The Yak clubs, while not nearly as sexy, are usually easier to find and cheaper, sometimes as little as one or two hundred pp.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Aviak

I'm a paladin so agro isn't a problem but like others have said I hear Ykesha procs are good for agro. I would rock the best ykeshas you can get for tanking and if you're looking for dps use the lammy and the best off hand ratio you can find. Your gear is pretty good and save a few upgrades it should carry you until you can start raiding. A haste item will help dps. FBSS is the obvious choice but until you can afford it a TBB will be a nice upgrade to that straw spun belt and will help your dps a little. I always went by ac > everything else myself but I've been told AC is kind of messed up on the emu servers so maybe favoring stats on crafted and and planar armor is better then rocking all cobalt stuff (though these are still nice to hang on to for the clickies).
Old 08-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Planar Protector

Staff of Battle should be only 800pp so if you wanted one you should be able to afford it.

With those weapons, you are pretty much set for a while. Acid etched is the same as Yak with a diff graphic, and you have a few other decent weapons. I'd personally go snare sword because its decent aggro and snare is nice with the running mobs.

I dont know the price of a Sarnak Warhammer, but if you were going to spend any money on a new weapon, I would go with that. Beyond that the next teir of weps are like 50k+.

Sarnak Warhammer + Yak Mace is pretty standard and decent. You could also try to find a person doing the Rogue epic and get a Trilioch's Skean. Its not as amazing as I had first hoped, but its decent, and free (if you can find the person).
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Kobold

You should really start to focus on getting your dex up at this point. Sarnak Warhammer is going to be your best bet aggro wise...they have been a little cheaper than normal lately too so maybe you can stumble upon some luck. Get that dex up though.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Sarnak

Yes to +DEX for extra procs. Try the Grotesque Mask, Fire Emerald Rings or Bracelets, and maybe a golden black pearl choker. Though really, looking at your equipment except for the lack of DEX, other warriors that you think outclass you were probably bankrolled by another character capable of farming large amounts of plat =]
Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Sarnak

Well...+Dex unless in massive amounts (and I mean above 200~) is really not going to affect your proc rate THAT much. IMO more str would be better, allows you to hit higher more consistently. But TBH your gear is fine, just get two proc weapons and all will be good.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimAce [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well...+Dex unless in massive amounts (and I mean above 200~) is really not going to affect your proc rate THAT much.
Don't listen to this dude. (http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...&postcount=144)

Stack your dex and swing ykesha procs, for great justice.

Cloak of shadows, executioner's hood, grotesque mask, fire emerald platinum rings, probably in that order imo, is an efficient way for you to get more dex on a limited budget. Sell the any weapon you have for DPS and buy a staff of battle for DPSing.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 08-24-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Old 08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Fire Giant

DEX 72 is the problem. Max that DEX with 2 Ykesha Proc weapons. A Cloak of Shadows would be a good start. Drop those Diamondines for Forest Loops. Swap Sarnak Hide mask for Grotesque Mask. Carnal Pauldrons from SolB. Those changes will add 33.

Keep your AC/STR gear around for later after you're done grouping/leveling. Obviously DEX doesn't matter as much while raiding if you are not MT. Also, don't worry about replacing Cobalt Boots / Gauntlets until you can get Indicolite.

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Last edited by Dantes; 08-24-2012 at 03:45 PM..
Closed Thread