PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Shralok Orc Faction Hits Incorrect

Donkey Hotay
03-21-2013, 02:08 AM
I have a DE necro that I'm trying to get to Dubiously in Highpass Hold/Keep. I have been killing the Shralok orc clan in Kithicor for ~5.5 levels--exclusively. The wiki reports each orc being worth +10 to the relevant HPH reps:

Your faction standing with Highpass Guards got better.
Your faction standing with Carson McCabe got better.
Your faction standing with Merchants of Highpass got better.
Your faction standing with Corrupt Qeynos Guards got better.
Your faction standing with The Freeport Militia got better.

I have 158 orc scalps, with 140 of those lifted from Shralok orcs (the rest from South Ro orcs).

I reached--drum roll, please--Threateningly today.

I have killed over 100 orcs since noticing that I had finally hit Threateningly. I am still Threateningly. According to the Faction page on the wiki, assuming the worst of the two faction cases, it should take a maximum of 35 kills to move from Threateningly to Dubiously (-1100 to -750).

I can only hope these orcs are returning +5 faction instead of the +1 I fear is the case. In any event, spending 6 levels to get to Dubiously, where the hand-in quest then becomes trivial and pointless because 158 scalps have been collected solely through kills, cannot be working as intended.

Please take a look at this.

Donkey Hotay
03-21-2013, 07:27 PM
After 6 full levels and another 6 hours of orc killing today, I reached Dubiously and turned in 186 orc scalps to Captain Ashlan. I am now Amiably.

All in all, this was a completely unreasonable amount of time spent to use this zone.

Leftoverture
03-22-2013, 03:15 AM
scowling to threatening can be a huge zone, bigger than several faction zones of non-KoSness. Faction building for characters that are very KoS, like an evil race necromancer have always been for people who are exceedingly interested in going somewhere in particular. I hardly remember an evil race going around HK uninvis on live because it was just not worth the time spent to become welcome there. (especially with the prevelance of guard killing)

TL;DR version: raising faction is something only reasonably achievable by a high level with time on their hands and it has always been that way

Tecmos Deception
03-22-2013, 07:19 AM
The wiki isn't accurate at all when it comes to faction issues. I was kindly (maybe even warmly already, I can't remember for sure) with NFP paladins but it still took over 1000 turnins to Fabian in EFP before I maxed warmly. So either that quest gives less than 1 faction per turnin for the paladins, or the faction ranges discussed on the wiki aren't remotely accurate, or the server maybe doesn't give you "your faction could not possibly get any better" until you are at the point where you WOULD be max ally... except that ally doesn't even exist yet.

/shrug

Donkey Hotay
03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Freeport guard faction takes a day without needing to be a bored high level; I guess that must not count as classic. I don't see where your decision to not kill enough orcs applies here.

Shralo(c)k Orc faction doesn't match the wiki. Illia's archive doesn't show explicit faction numbers, so at some point someone has to make a command decision as to what the numbers should be. +10 or even +5 would have been reasonable, allowing evil races to get access to the turn-in quest within a level-appropriate time frame. +1 is ridiculous.

Sundawg
03-22-2013, 06:16 PM
I have no problem adjusting it, but need evidence.

Malevz
03-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Interesting, I've been working on the high hold factions too, except carson instead of guards. I noticed that going from max kos to threatening took me only 1/2 the time that it's taken to get from threatening to dubious, and I'm STILL threatening. I'm starting to think the threatening to dubious is as large as max kos to threatening, very possibly quite larger, and that may be the issue.