Ele
07-15-2013, 10:46 AM
approved, make it so

Nirgon
07-15-2013, 10:55 AM
No one said Dont

khanable
07-15-2013, 11:55 AM
i'm sure this is a difficult task otherwise it would have been done long, long ago

..right?

enr4ged
07-15-2013, 12:10 PM
i'm sure this is a difficult task otherwise it would have been done long, long ago

..right?

From a coding standpoint it wouldn't be hard, but it would be a bit time consuming.

SamwiseRed
07-15-2013, 12:12 PM
not just item linking, more than one chat box is not classic as reported by me several times.

kaev
07-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Too much fun is being had here! More inconvenience, more annoyance!

3+ years of Kunark is so utterly not classic that this discussion has become a silly joke. Live servers weren't this awash in loot until well into PoP. It ain't anything close to the original experience, pretending that making the game mechanically more annoying to play will make it more like the game of 14 years ago is just absurd. There is no useful distinction between IncrediblyNotEvenClose and IncrediblyNotEvenClose*0.99. (I demand dial-up access only!!!!!!!! Broadband is NOT classic!!!!!!!!!!! Accounts Must Be Banned For Playing In Windowed Mode!!!!! No Processor More Modern Than A 200 MHz Pentium MMX Allowed!!!!!!!! No Graphics Card More Recent Than 2001 Is Permitted On Pain Of Death IRL In-Game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

:rolleyes:

Want it more classic? Start over and get the expansions out on time. Nothing else you can possibly do will hold a candle to that. That funny smell? It comes from your clothes after you've been pissing into the wind.

Ele
07-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Too much fun is being had here! More inconvenience, more annoyance!

3+ years of Kunark is so utterly not classic that this discussion has become a silly joke. Live servers weren't this awash in loot until well into PoP. It ain't anything close to the original experience, pretending that making the game mechanically more annoying to play will make it more like the game of 14 years ago is just absurd. There is no useful distinction between IncrediblyNotEvenClose and IncrediblyNotEvenClose*0.99. (I demand dial-up access only!!!!!!!! Broadband is NOT classic!!!!!!!!!!! Accounts Must Be Banned For Playing In Windowed Mode!!!!! No Processor More Modern Than A 200 MHz Pentium MMX Allowed!!!!!!!! No Graphics Card More Recent Than 2001 Is Permitted On Pain Of Death IRL In-Game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

:rolleyes:

Want it more classic? Start over and get the expansions out on time. Nothing else you can possibly do will hold a candle to that. That funny smell? It comes from your clothes after you've been pissing into the wind.

This is essentially the beta server.

Splorf22
07-15-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm not really in favor of changes that pointlessly nerf the GUI, but regardless the focus should be on the shit that matters. This last patch (not too surprisingly) broke a ton of stuff: faction spells not working, harmony being single target, lich breaking invis, etc. Then we have have important stuff for the raid scene like the 255 resist cap, hate list missile lock, simulated repops, etc. And then we have Velious.

Nerfing the GUI is a 0.5/10 priority.

xCry0x
07-15-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm not really in favor of changes that pointlessly nerf the GUI, but regardless the focus should be on the shit that matters. This last patch (not too surprisingly) broke a ton of stuff: faction spells not working, harmony being single target, lich breaking invis, etc. Then we have have important stuff for the raid scene like the 255 resist cap, hate list missile lock, simulated repops, etc. And then we have Velious.

Nerfing the GUI is a 0.5/10 priority.

+1

Stinkum
07-15-2013, 05:30 PM
There are a few things that P99 will never be able to make "classic" due to limitations of the Titanium client.

Removing item linking is one of them.

The other is proper "classic" night vision.

DoucLangur
07-16-2013, 03:26 PM
I would like to ADD a feature: chat channels. It would help a lot, it is NOT classic I know, but it will simply allow for easier coordination in general. Am I overlooking any downside?

Splorf22
07-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Am I overlooking any downside?

We call this downside Elethia :D

Xump
07-16-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm all for classic, but if you aren't following it exactly, and on the same timeline, then it should be an opportunity to weed out the mistakes and have the core feature improvements on the old content, thereby making the game better than it was originally. Neither option seems to be in affect here.

I know the Druids got hit with Tracking Skill reduction. Did Rangers get limited to no more than 20 mobs in track? As I recall, those went hand in hand. I also recall both being fixed, yes fixed as neither were actually intended, rather quickly.

I may be wrong as I'm old and have a faulty memory, but I can remember Druids by the hundreds posting Daily until their track was fixed. If you are curious as to what a 50 tracking nets you, just lower your far clip plane to 0. That's about as far as a 50 will track. That's right, less than you can see.

this user was banned
07-16-2013, 05:05 PM
There are a few things that P99 will never be able to make "classic" due to limitations of the Titanium client.

Removing item linking is one of them.

The other is proper "classic" night vision.

don't forget coin drop

knix
07-16-2013, 05:23 PM
well to make it classic you could also throttle people to 56k dial up modem speed

just saying ...

p-niner
07-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Ram disc zoning speed not classic

happyhappy
07-16-2013, 05:45 PM
well to make it classic you could also throttle people to 56k dial up modem speed

just saying ...

People keep saying that, I'm not sure what kind of third world countries you guys lived in during the late 90s but broadband was already widely available up here.

Wide Screen resolution, windowed mode, people owning 5+ accounts, post velious UI and everything that comes with it needs to go tho!

Handull
07-16-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm all for classic, but if you aren't following it exactly, and on the same timeline, then it should be an opportunity to weed out the mistakes and have the core feature improvements on the old content, thereby making the game better than it was originally. Neither option seems to be in affect here.

I know the Druids got hit with Tracking Skill reduction. Did Rangers get limited to no more than 20 mobs in track? As I recall, those went hand in hand. I also recall both being fixed, yes fixed as neither were actually intended, rather quickly.

I may be wrong as I'm old and have a faulty memory, but I can remember Druids by the hundreds posting Daily until their track was fixed. If you are curious as to what a 50 tracking nets you, just lower your far clip plane to 0. That's about as far as a 50 will track. That's right, less than you can see.

Yes, Ranger tracking took a nerf as well, same 20 mob limit, and no longer sortable.

I have no doubt that if the devs of EQ could have, they would have started classic EQ off with a better UI, tracking would have started with a scroll bar, and rangers would have started with track sort, and druids would have had a better tracking skill. And so many other things would be different. But thats not what happened. And in classic/kunark EQ, tracking was limited to 20 mobs, so that's what we get here.

Sirken
07-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Get rid of items linking already, so not classic

would if could, but pretty sure its tied to the titanium client. same reason we cant force casters to be blinded by their spell book.

happyhappy
07-16-2013, 06:23 PM
would if could, but pretty sure its tied to the titanium client. same reason we cant force casters to be blinded by their spell book.

Which sparks the question in my mind, why are we tied to the titanium client? Wouldn't using the Velious client fix these issues or is that impossible?

dbouya
08-22-2013, 02:35 AM
i think we're tied to titanium because eqemu uses it and that's what we use... "using velious client" isn't a thing and doesn't mean anything other than perhaps restarting over from scratch entirely, which no one ever would want.

I'd say that dial-up is already fairly well simulated because p99 servers are a bit laggier than the original sony ones were. although i do zone about 59029801 times faster now.

dali_lb
08-26-2013, 08:18 AM
Wrong. We are using Titanium because the P99 Team chose to base their coding on it cause it was the only one supported officially by EQEmu when they started P99.

Today many EQEMU servers supports much better and more stable Clients as SoF, but that doesn't make the game more classic, but basically yes the item linking is coded into the client and the reason SOE doesn't mess with EQEMU servers is that the client is used unmodified

But apart from all the things in the ui that obviously can't be made 100% classic, we are propably very close to be as classic as possible is.
My only regret is that it has taken this long to get as far as we are now. Some would propably beat me down for this,
but why not start from scratch now that we are actually pretty close to classical functionality as posible can be...

Wipe the servers and lets all start again :)

Alecta
08-26-2013, 10:21 AM
You could make it so the item links aren't clickable.

Clients could still right click on the item to link it in a channel, but when you broadcast it out to the other clients you could strip out the item id's and make it not a link.

Really doubt that's worth the effort though.

Nirgon
08-26-2013, 11:38 AM
worth it

dali_lb
08-28-2013, 03:14 AM
So after using resources on setting up a server filter that have to monitor all the traffic, someone makes a program that spams link id's ...

they are not gonna do that

Alecta
08-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Since I cant do anything useful with my lunch break, might as well do this.

http://i.imgur.com/xaMwXK1.png

http://pastebin.com/L08Jasj9

Things like this make me glad I dont play on this server though, heh.