PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Odd npc caster behavior

koros
07-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Ok you guys must have altered some npc casting logic.

Fighting in Karnor's last night the shaman mobs were chain blinding, not classic for high level mobs (and even if it was, they were chain blinding 3-4x in a row, another spell, 3-4x more). A necro in group charmed one and it was getting silly. Additionally his charmed curates didn't cast once.

lecompte
07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Okay, I can help with this one I think. I was soloing in seb last night for several hours (8) and noticed that mobs run out of mana, when they run out of mana, they cast whatever spell is available as soon as they have mana to cast it. Aka, their cheapest spell. Blind... over and over. Curates don't cast any spells except for CH when their life drops below 30-40% ... and only then if someone is meleeing them.

Nirgon
07-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Good post by lecompte

Not sure how their "which spell to cast" logic works

Blind also lands too easily

lecompte
07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I was playing shaman with full resists buffs on -- I resisted about 80% of the blind casts from three casters at the same time. I spent about one in seven seconds blinded with all these mobs going. I can bring up logs when I get home if we want some hard numbers.

koros
07-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Problem is 1. Shaman mobs on live stopped casting blind, period, after a certain level. 2. This curate pet never cast once, from full hp or otherwise.

Nirgon
07-17-2013, 03:52 PM
If you're at 80 magic resist against a blue con, you should resist 100% of those blinds

I'm not just trying to make the game harder here

lecompte
07-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Problem is 1. Shaman mobs on live stopped casting blind, period, after a certain level. 2. This curate pet never cast once, from full hp or otherwise.

It never has, to my knowledge, as a pet.

I didn't know that about the resists Nirgon. Perhaps you have some sources and can start a new thread on it?

koros
07-17-2013, 04:22 PM
You might be right, although it should be. Cleric pets should be nuking/stunning/self healing.

pasi
07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
I posted about this on the other thread, but it appears that NPC mana has been lowered (hard to say fixed since I do not know the new or true target values). This is a step in the right direction. Next up, getting rid of their full spellbook.

lecompte
07-17-2013, 05:19 PM
You might be right, although it should be. Cleric pets should be nuking/stunning/self healing.

A curate is NOT a cleric pet. ALL it casts is CH in the wild. I've never seen ANY pet heal itself, now that I think about it.

Chrysus
07-17-2013, 06:28 PM
A curate is NOT a cleric pet. ALL it casts is CH in the wild. I've never seen ANY pet heal itself, now that I think about it.

Although paladin pets will still lay on hands (doesn't heal them to full however for them) while charmed.

I know anything not referencing zam posts for 2000 is disgarded here, but for what it's worth, I remember charming shaman mobs back on live (kunark/velious era), and they would sometimes when injured and out of combat, chain cast regen on themselves until OOM. As if they thought it was a heal spell.

Chrysus
07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
I posted about this on the other thread, but it appears that NPC mana has been lowered (hard to say fixed since I do not know the new or true target values). This is a step in the right direction. Next up, getting rid of their full spellbook.

Yeah its classic. Mobs casting lvl 12 spells you resist 99% of the time is classic too. It's also boring as hell and I hope I never see it here (but probably will). There isn't a much diversity in the exp groups as it is, changing it from 90% melee to 99% melee would make me sad.

But yeah, it's classic.