PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Memorizing and scribing spells should be based on meditate skill

Nirgon
07-23-2013, 04:09 PM
I noticed that a lvl 1 here instantly memorizes/scribes their spells. This took a very long time to do as a level 1 in classic, meditate sped up this process.

I am 100% sure on memorizing the spell being faster from meditate, less so on scribing but still, rather sure on scribing.

(How alcohol tolerance works/scales is sort of like this)

Thx for read.

Tecmos Deception
07-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Memorizing is definitely "pretty slow" on p99 until you get meditate leveled up, and even with max skill I can definitely tell when Tecmos is memming a level 59-60 spell compared to a sub-40 spell.

Nirgon
07-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Mem a lvl 1 spell and think back to memorizing your first spell on live

pharmakos
07-23-2013, 04:58 PM
i recently started some characters on EQMac. scribing/memorizing at level 1 is painstakingly slow there. (slower than P99)

Vega
07-23-2013, 10:38 PM
Didn't want to bump Sam's thread on this again? You probably need to bring something new to the discussion if you want Nilbog to change this.

enr4ged
07-24-2013, 04:07 AM
Didn't want to bump Sam's thread on this again? You probably need to bring something new to the discussion if you want Nilbog to change this.

But man, the way Nirgon remembers it, is the way it should be. Think back!

Furinex
07-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Even though I am usually one for evidence I can agree with this. Meming a spell is really fast here. Doesn't seem right at lower levels.

pharmakos
07-24-2013, 11:50 AM
^^i recently started some characters on EQMac. scribing/memorizing at level 1 is painstakingly slow there. (slower than P99)

PC hack for EQMac is available now and just as easy as setting up P99. if you want evidence just go start a level 1 toon there and see how long it takes you to scribe/mem the spells you start with.

SirAlvarex
07-24-2013, 12:03 PM
It's important to note that while Meditate is needed to mem spells faster, a skill of 1 should be all that's needed to get the normal memorization time.

That's the whole reason bards get meditate. When Kunark was released it was taking over 2 minutes to memorize a single level 50+ bard song, so they gave them meditate.

Nirgon
07-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Erase the hate, shit's classic, let's get it in boys

Most people won't notice

falkun
07-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Memming higher level spells takes longer than memming lower level spells, so memorization (adding spells from book to cast bar) seems ok-ish.

However, scribing a spell to the spell book for the first time is WAY off. It takes me longer to memorize a new spell than it does to scribe a new spell. Memorization should be quicker than scribing, but I don't have any hard data as evidence.

Nirgon
07-24-2013, 01:21 PM
eqmac mabes

Sundawg
07-24-2013, 01:31 PM
It's important to note that while Meditate is needed to mem spells faster, a skill of 1 should be all that's needed to get the normal memorization time.

That's the whole reason bards get meditate. When Kunark was released it was taking over 2 minutes to memorize a single level 50+ bard song, so they gave them meditate.

Keep in mind the purpose of the scribble notes AA.

Tyronius of Midnight
10-12-2019, 05:44 PM
This is still incorrect.

Scribing spells on a level 1 fresh character is still way too fast.

In case you were wondering, this is what real everquest is like.

https://youtu.be/E-kbuGq9HRQ