PDA

View Full Version : Server UP

Pages : [1] 2

Rogean
07-25-2013, 03:32 PM
As if there wasn't already enough going on lately, one of the hard drive arrays on the server decided to have two hard drive failures within a short time frame, so it has failed the array completely. The data is safe, but it's left the server in an odd state. I'll try to get the game server back up tonight. I've already ordered new hard drives for the whole array, overnighted to the data center for tomorrow, so worst case scenario it will be back up tomorrow night.

During this time you may see the website/LS go down intermittently as I shuffle things around.

Honest
07-25-2013, 03:35 PM
*head explodes*

falkun
Server lag related to hard drive(s) reaching EoL? Or are they unrelated?

Rogean

Lag has been DDoS attacks, that was already confirmed.

TheLieka
07-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Unrelated.

this user was banned
07-25-2013, 03:36 PM
What raid configuration are you using for the server?

Vermouth
07-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Thank you for the update Rogean.

TheLieka
07-25-2013, 03:38 PM
What raid configuration are you using for the server?

I'll add this to the long list of shitty questions that are not helpful during an outage.

Honest
07-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Repop?

Joroz
07-25-2013, 03:39 PM
even the server says it want's to be wiped...

this user was banned
07-25-2013, 03:39 PM

server an hero'ed

khanable
07-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Thank you Rogean.

Pretty amazed you'd shell out of your own pocket so a bunch of whiny disrespectful pricks can get back to farming their 14 year old pixels and fighting over it as quickly as possible.

Anything the community can do to help?

Blink
07-25-2013, 03:40 PM
What kind of rollback we looking at?

Dragonsblood1987
07-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Go mods go!! I need to be kicking around Norrath ASAP!

Just got everything installed and working, too haha >.>

Also: That really sucks about the issues. I hope everything goes relatively painlessly for you guys.

SyanideGas
07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Thank you Rogean.

Pretty amazed you'd shell out of your own pocket so a bunch of whiny disrespectful pricks can get back to farming their 14 year old pixels and fighting over it.

Amen Cukes

TheLieka
07-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Thank you Rogean.

Pretty amazed you'd shell out of your own pocket so a bunch of whiny disrespectful pricks can get back to farming their 14 year old pixels and fighting over it as quickly as possible.

You can start by changing your avatar so I can maintain my train of thought...

what the fuck was I going to post..?

Striiker
First, thank you for the update and work! Bad luck on the array (saw it happen once before)..
Question for you. Does this halt the timer on game timers such as raid encounter repops and corpse decays? So, if a corpse were timed to expire tonight (such as key corpses), will they be gone once the server comes back up tomorrow or will the timer resume once the servers are up?
Thanks.

Laledorie
Thank you Rogean.

Well said! :D Thank you for the update and for spending your own money, without the devs we wouldn't have a game to play. Everyone that plays this game should be grateful for all of their hard work!

Lostprophets
07-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Does this have any impact of Sky keys?

fastboy21
07-25-2013, 03:52 PM
ouch...I hope this cost was covered by existing donations.

If special donations are needed please post to let us know.

SyanideGas
07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Im pretty sure all timers are stopped once server goes down.

Vianna
07-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Take Red down...Bring Blue up ? I kid I kid :)

Sorry to hear you guys are having problems. I know it just means extra work for you.

Blink
07-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Yeah that's shitty luck...

Laledorie holla at me gurrrrl.

Raavak
07-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah that's shitty luck...

Laledorie holla at me gurrrrl.Keep it in your pants.

Wotsirb401
07-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Im pretty sure all timers are stopped once server goes down.

Blink
07-25-2013, 04:13 PM
sorry sorry

Rogean
07-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Spawn and Corpse timers do not stop when the server goes down.

Guides can assist you with corpse recoveries if they decay.

Kieu
07-25-2013, 04:24 PM
I'll add this to the long list of shitty questions that are not helpful during an outage.

You're probably the most annoying person I have had to read in threads. Might as well add your own posts to the long list of retarded replies.

TheLieka
07-25-2013, 04:27 PM

([7 Days] - ([Current Date & Time] - [Date & Time You Died])) = Remaining time before the zone cleans your corpse.

There's nothing in that formula about server up-time.

You're probably the most annoying person I have had to read in threads. Might as well add your own posts to the long list of retarded replies.

Might as well.

lecompte
07-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Thank you Rogean.

I'm hopeful that donation money offsets the parts. Thank you for shelling out your time and effort tho.

Clark
07-25-2013, 04:37 PM

lol

Rogean
Skarry: Lol'd @ your sig, then had to verify myself..

http://www.rogean.com/images/skarryepic.png

P.S. Why have you created and deleted 164 characters? o.O

Lostprophets

Glad to hear this, Takens sky key corpses are decaying today if server isn't brought up soonish.

Fearstalker or Myself can send a petition for it to get them recovered...or would you prefur 1 petition per person? Figured 1 petiton would be the best for you guys, heh.

we just gotta make sure they're recovered -in- sky haha.

Samoht
07-25-2013, 04:38 PM

oh. my. god.

Raavak
07-25-2013, 04:40 PM
You deleted your epic too?

Edit: nm actually looked at your sig

SyanideGas
07-25-2013, 04:48 PM

o snap.

Idk man, too many characters, little explanation :S

khanable
07-25-2013, 04:49 PM

164 attempts to get cybers

arsenalpow
07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

well that's the greatest thing ever, forever to be archived in BDA history

Splorf22
07-25-2013, 04:56 PM
As if there wasn't already enough going on lately, one of the hard drive arrays on the server decided to have two hard drive failures within a short time frame, so it has failed the array completely. The data is safe, but it's left the server in an odd state. I'll try to get the game server back up tonight. I've already ordered new hard drives for the whole array, overnighted to the data center for tomorrow, so worst case scenario it will be back up tomorrow night.

During this time you may see the website/LS go down intermittently as I shuffle things around.

/clap. Thanks for the hard work as always.

Ambrotos
07-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Glad to hear this, Takens sky key corpses are decaying today if server isn't brought up soonish.

Fearstalker or Myself can send a petition for it to get them recovered...or would you prefur 1 petition per person? Figured 1 petiton would be the best for you guys, heh.

we just gotta make sure they're recovered -in- sky haha.

The keys decay with the body. Yet guides can summon bodies that have decayed, so the keys will be there. Best bet is to petition in game if a body did decay. Mention the sky keys in the petition so the guide doesn't summon the body w/keys to ecommons and just summon them back in sky.

rolx
07-25-2013, 05:25 PM
o snap.

Idk man, too many characters, little explanation :S

Hahahahaha. That is too funny at least there is some comedy.

Ulwyn
07-25-2013, 05:38 PM
can pull up paypal and donate if you are feeling generous =D

Hyasinth
07-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the update. Appreciate all that you are doing to get things working again.

Ciel
07-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the update!

Shinko
07-25-2013, 05:53 PM
The keys decay with the body. Yet guides can summon bodies that have decayed, so the keys will be there. Best bet is to petition in game if a body did decay. Mention the sky keys in the petition so the guide doesn't summon the body w/keys to ecommons and just summon them back in sky.

as i learned huen sirken got imba keys to solb .... rip 1-8 keys

Sirken
07-25-2013, 06:17 PM

lol poor noob. Mr Daxum has already done more for EQEmu than you could if u devoted the rest of your life to the project. that being said, suspended for insults outside RNF.

Vianna
07-25-2013, 06:27 PM
lol poor noob. Mr Daxum has already done more for EQEmu than you could if u devoted the rest of your life to the project. that being said, suspended for insults outside RNF.

Suspending folks so early in the EQ Blackout... Can't imagine what will happen if they don't get their EQ within the next few hours.

Reapin
07-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Thank you Rogean.

I donate, why don't you? and this is not RnF.

itzhugh
07-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Thank you for your efforts guys.

Sirken
07-25-2013, 06:37 PM
also, a big thank you to all our donators. if it wasn't for you guys we would not be able to replace the hardware as quickly as we do.

so thank you!

OriginalQin
07-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Well said! :D Thank you for the update and for spending your own money, without the devs we wouldn't have a game to play. Everyone that plays this game should be grateful for all of their hard work!

You know people can and do donate, right? I used to every month. I'm sure others do.

Very grateful for the time and effort and the overall existence of this project, though, even if it has seen its end with the DDoS and duping. Was great while it lasted.

General
07-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Why us, and not Red!?!? -Stares into sky, camera pans away-

Sirken
07-25-2013, 06:42 PM

blue and red are different physical boxes. and it was the drives on blue that died (dont worry, no data was lost, pixels are safe), the drives on red lift weights, drive a Lamborghini, or two, and sleep with no less than 4 supermodels per night.

Kender
07-25-2013, 06:47 PM
blue and red are different physical boxes. and it was the drives on blue that died (dont worry, no data was lost, pixels are safe), the drives on red lift weights, drive a Lamborghini, or two, and sleep with no less than 4 supermodels per night.

that's all we needed. now blue are never gonna hear the end of it

General
07-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Does Blue even lift??...\

..Btw Sirken, did you ever find out if General was an inactive name? I would love it on any of my chars (Was my mains name on live since 2001) :)

Laledorie
07-25-2013, 06:54 PM
You know people can and do donate, right? I used to every month. I'm sure others do.

Very grateful for the time and effort and the overall existence of this project, though, even if it has seen its end with the DDoS and duping. Was great while it lasted.

I did assume that some people donate, I just figured it probably wasn't quite enough to cover all of the costs. Of course, I'm not exactly very knowledgeable on the costs of running any kind of game server. Hopefully it's fairly minimal! =)

Sirken
07-25-2013, 07:01 PM

this is not the end.

just like 2 years ago when this happened, the project will survive. but its foolish to expect to emerge from a fight without a few scratches ;)

Nirgun
07-25-2013, 07:20 PM

That dude he was responding to started the flame.

GM favoritism

azxten
07-25-2013, 07:24 PM
Hope you ordered some extra replacement drives for the next time this happens.

Also, if the drives are SSDs then you can expect them to fail around the same time. Hope the other drives aren't about to go out as well.

Sirken
07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
That dude he was responding to started the flame.

GM favoritism

that "dude" he was responding to was answering a question appropriately imo for what the question was. the second guy wasnt answering any question, he was just being a dick. and he did it outside rants and flames.

would suspend again.

farshot
07-25-2013, 07:33 PM
would love to donate but my paypal account is bugged can't verify myself. Any other way to donate?

Lyra
07-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Watching Tiggles stream could have saved you a suspension. It did me!

Champion_Standing
07-25-2013, 07:51 PM
I just wanted to say, Good luck...we're all counting on you.

tiernine
07-25-2013, 07:58 PM
I just wanted to say, Good luck...we're all counting on you.

Alenon
07-25-2013, 08:03 PM
The way i see it, live had so many problems after patches, random downtime and crashes, hard to complain about one or 2 on p99 here and there

Muchew
07-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...

Tiddlywinks
07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
where my red?

hatelore
07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
well that's the greatest thing ever, forever to be archived in BDA history

Lol, poor skarry will never live this shit down. hahaha

Zade
07-25-2013, 08:24 PM

Someone had to go and "get even" now, huh? Red down! Red down!

Srsly though,

When the servers come back up, if you have need of in-game CSRs, please petition one time on the character you need and stay logged in. I foresee a VERY LARGE petition queue. We can only answer them so fast, so be patient. There will be much love that goes around and we will get to everyone we can.

While on the subject, these past few days have been rough on the staff. I apologize for the delay in petition resolves and will be doing work once the servers come back up! See you in game.

Sarius
07-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Still looking like tonight or more likely tomorrow?

Zilo
07-25-2013, 08:37 PM
lol its funny, i REALLY itch to play when the server is down:( , i need to get my Shadowknight, Suffer to 60!!

Runya
07-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Two diff boxes! Boot red ty.

Malevz
07-25-2013, 08:45 PM
Donated some $$ for red 99, love it. Make sure you don't spend my money on blue, blue is the devil!

petecory
07-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Robbing Peter to pay Paul??

Give those Hard drives to Blue!

Sorry Red =/

Droog007
07-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Red99 vanished from server select... but I see no posts anywhere that it is also down.

What gives?

petecory
07-25-2013, 09:00 PM
OHHH NO!! All 5 Red players are angry...

J/K J/K!!!

Droog007
07-25-2013, 09:02 PM
In eqlsPlayerData.ini

What should the first 2 lines be if you last played on Red99?

For some reason, mine say something dumb:
[MISC]
LastServerID=32
LastServerName=[A 0.8.0] The Fameless of Doom

Wondering if I can get around the login server not showing Red99 when (if?) that server is actually up and I'm just not seeing it for some silly reason.

petecory
07-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Check the Right side of the page, both servers down =/

http://www.project1999.org/

Lojik
07-25-2013, 09:06 PM
In eqlsPlayerData.ini

What should the first 2 lines be if you last played on Red99?

For some reason, mine say something dumb:
[MISC]
LastServerID=32
LastServerName=[A 0.8.0] The Fameless of Doom

Wondering if I can get around the login server not showing Red99 when (if?) that server is actually up and I'm just not seeing it for some silly reason.
Well P99 homepage says both servers down

kingsBlend
07-25-2013, 09:08 PM
OHHH NO!! All 5 Red players are angry...

Joroz
07-25-2013, 09:10 PM
duh... red server is going to be the new blue server.

emp82
07-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Donated.

For The Pixels!

Wokchop
07-26-2013, 07:25 AM
Three cheers for Rogean. At least I now know what is happening.

Loli Pops
07-26-2013, 07:33 AM

Confirmed.

Twain
07-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Red is down as Sirken is trying to cockblock Tyva from hitting 60 for the Botb. I'm going to need Botb pushed back or levels provided for this injustice!

Fael
07-26-2013, 09:52 AM
its times like these when it becomes apparent how much we should appreciate your work and effort and time.

Thanks Rogean.

Dolic

fishingme
07-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Any reason the red box is down if they are separate? :(

Shift
07-26-2013, 10:10 AM
I just searched what DDoS Means
here is the information

A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack is one in which a multitude of compromised systems attack a single target, thereby causing denial of service for users of the targeted system. The flood of incoming messages to the target system essentially forces it to shut down, thereby denying service to the system to legitimate users.

In a typical DDoS attack, the assailant begins by exploiting a vulnerability in one computer system and making it the DDoS master. The attack master, also known as the botmaster, identifies and identifies and infects other vulnerable systems with malware. Eventually, the assailant instructs the controlled machines to launch an attack against a specified target.

There are two types of DDoS attacks: a network-centric attack which overloads a service by using up bandwidth and an application-layer attack which overloads a service or database with application calls. The inundation of packets to the target causes a denial of service. While the media tends to focus on the target of a DDoS attack as the victim, in reality there are many victims in a DDoS attack -- the final target and as well the systems controlled by the intruder. Although the owners of co-opted computers are typically unaware that their computers have been compromised, they are nevertheless likely to suffer a degradation of service and not work well.

A computer under the control of an intruder is known as a zombie or bot. A group of co-opted computers is known as a botnet or a zombie army. Both Kaspersky Labs and Symantec have identified botnets -- not spam, viruses, or worms -- as the biggest threat to Internet security.

OngorDrakan
07-26-2013, 10:15 AM
I just searched what DDoS Means
here is the information

A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack is one in which a multitude of compromised systems attack a single target, thereby causing denial of service for users of the targeted system. The flood of incoming messages to the target system essentially forces it to shut down, thereby denying service to the system to legitimate users.

In a typical DDoS attack, the assailant begins by exploiting a vulnerability in one computer system and making it the DDoS master. The attack master, also known as the botmaster, identifies and identifies and infects other vulnerable systems with malware. Eventually, the assailant instructs the controlled machines to launch an attack against a specified target.

There are two types of DDoS attacks: a network-centric attack which overloads a service by using up bandwidth and an application-layer attack which overloads a service or database with application calls. The inundation of packets to the target causes a denial of service. While the media tends to focus on the target of a DDoS attack as the victim, in reality there are many victims in a DDoS attack -- the final target and as well the systems controlled by the intruder. Although the owners of co-opted computers are typically unaware that their computers have been compromised, they are nevertheless likely to suffer a degradation of service and not work well.

A computer under the control of an intruder is known as a zombie or bot. A group of co-opted computers is known as a botnet or a zombie army. Both Kaspersky Labs and Symantec have identified botnets -- not spam, viruses, or worms -- as the biggest threat to Internet security.

Yes...That is what it is. Thanx 4 shaere? :cool:

Hope for a swift return!

Shift
07-26-2013, 10:23 AM
A clean return at that I can truly see how DDoS would corrupt p99's server hub make the game go nuts

rickjames
07-26-2013, 10:36 AM
A clean return at that I can truly see how DDoS would corrupt p99's server hub make the game go nuts

http://images.wikia.com/scpcontainmentbreach/images/9/94/Jack_sparrow_wut_by_zackfair1219-d4117e5.jpg

General
07-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Day 2 without P1999:

Hello, if you're reading this, i'm still surviving.. rations are low, and i think i might be going LD... /tell my wife i love her.

Shinko
07-26-2013, 10:45 AM
already with your wife she all good

Rogean
07-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Any reason the red box is down if they are separate? :(

They are separate but the red box relies on blue for account information (This is linked information). So once the actual database server goes down, red is :(.

General
07-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Rogean, can you possibly show SOE up on anything else? You're an absolute tank, and you actually get things done.. And best part, you keep us communicated, i love you so much

SyanideGas
07-26-2013, 10:52 AM
o7 Rogean

zulaak
07-26-2013, 11:06 AM
worsth part about this kind of situation as a player is not having a eta on servers comming up, that and not being able to help.

roargh 55 monk "europa"

Ulwyn
07-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Day 2 without P1999:

Hello, if you're reading this, i'm still surviving.. rations are low, and i think i might be going LD... /tell my wife i love her.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ulwyn
07-26-2013, 11:13 AM
He actually gave a quite clear ETA.

JackFlash
07-26-2013, 11:28 AM
worsth part about this kind of situation as a player is not having a eta on servers comming up, that and not being able to help.

roargh 55 monk "europa"

I disagree, it's comments like this. RTFOP.......

zulaak
07-26-2013, 11:34 AM
I disagree, it's comments like this. RTFOP.......

comments like what?

i dont realy understand what i did wrong, i was just stating how the situation affects me, and how frustrating it is be sit on the sideline, not being able to contribute, what is wrong whit that ?

zulaak
07-26-2013, 11:35 AM

it would apear i cant find that, maybe im just stupid, would you be kind enough to quote that specific post.

dax
07-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I've already ordered new hard drives for the whole array, overnighted to the data center for tomorrow, so worst case scenario it will be back up tomorrow night.

your welcome :)

zulaak
07-26-2013, 11:38 AM
your welcome :)

ty

phantomz
07-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Although much appreciated from the GM's to get server up ASAP..

This is an unheard of length of time for a gaming server to be down, feels like im dying slowly each second that passes and all I do is pray to my God which happens to be Rogean in this case to let the drought pass and flood the lands with EverCrack once again.

How is anywhere from "Tonight to tomorrow night" A clear eta?

Vaildez
07-26-2013, 12:01 PM

This is an unheard of length of time for a gaming server to be down, feels like im dying slowly each second that passes and all I do is pray to my God which happens to be Rogean in this case to let the drought pass and flood the lands with EverCrack once again.

You shouldn't expect any exact ETA when you don't even pay for the service... Settle dow nah!

phantomz
07-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Settle down? I was never riled up to begin with.

Cyfon
07-26-2013, 12:02 PM

About as clear as it needs to be for people paying $0 to play. At least he's being upfront instead of putting out BS estimates.

xCry0x
07-26-2013, 12:05 PM

It is clearly within a 24 hour window =P.

They could have said "The server will be back up whenever the drives show up and someone has a chance to put them in and rebuild the array".

Vaildez
07-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Settle down? I was never riled up to begin with.

This is an unheard of length of time for a gaming server to be down

Salerno
07-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the update on this.

smoflow
07-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Something to ease the pain...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yL8j37SI0w

Raylan
07-26-2013, 12:13 PM
I am a 23 year old cancer survivor and still technically still recovering, I played on vztz when it was fun, with my brother Nixus, on a whim i joined p99 and found my friend Karsten here. being able to play classic with minimum drama is one of the only things i enjoy about what my life has become, thank you staff for all the hard work, I will be donating what little I can

Deanob
07-26-2013, 12:16 PM
The cost of a server grade 15k rpm hard drive can go upward of $600 ea.

This thread should be filled with thank you's, not complaints.

Just sayin'.

General
07-26-2013, 12:18 PM
I am a 23 year old cancer survivor and still technically still recovering, I played on vztz when it was fun, with my brother Nixus, on a whim i joined p99 and found my friend Karsten here. being able to play classic with minimum drama is one of the only things i enjoy about what my life has become, thank you staff for all the hard work, I will be donating what little I can

notsure why u added the cancer thing, but hey man We Killed broog together in Rathe Mountains 2 days ago :)

-Catherin-
07-26-2013, 12:18 PM
The cost of a server grade 15k rpm hard drive can go upward of $600 ea.

This thread should be filled with thank you's, not complaints.

Just sayin'.

This is truth

Thank you Rogean, Nilbog, and all of the volunteers for this project. You guys don't hear it nearly as much as you should

Blink
07-26-2013, 12:27 PM
My dog has cancer so I know how you feel.

Pringles
07-26-2013, 12:32 PM

Don't be a dick.

You deserve *nothing* and are entitled to *nothing*. Just be happy he is working on it.

Thanks for working to resolve this Rogean, and for everyone else supporting this project - thank you. It can't be said enough, so please don't get discouraged by the vocal ungratefuls, they are louder than the gratefuls.

Ulwyn
07-26-2013, 12:37 PM
take a look at Rogaen's original post. It said either last night it would be up or tonight. Meaning he is at the mercy of the people doing the shipping.

Tomato King6
07-26-2013, 12:49 PM
don't give a fuck either way naaaamean

Pringles
07-26-2013, 12:52 PM
I love that phantomz took the time to PM me to justify his whine. Classic.

lecompte
07-26-2013, 12:54 PM
take a look at Rogaen's original post. It said either last night it would be up or tonight. Meaning he is at the mercy of the people doing the shipping.

And his job.

On that note:

Dear Rogean,
Should I be trying to get out of work early to mash the login button or will I be fine if I'm home shortly after 5PM PST?

mtb tripper
07-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Servers will be reset

Aata
07-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the update. Appreciate all that you are doing to get things working again.

Adolphus
07-26-2013, 01:28 PM
I hope the servers stays down for a week just to make a point to these self-entitled dickheads who somehow think they are "customers" of a free project.

lecompte
07-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I hope the servers stays down for a week just to make a point to these self-entitled dickheads who somehow think they are "customers" of a free project.

I understand the sentiment but... Not an okay post.

Tobras
07-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank you so much , Rogean and all the staff. What you do is just so cool! I wish I could buy you beers and lamborghinis. Instead I'll donate.

Hyasinth
07-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Donated some $$ for red 99, love it. Make sure you don't spend my money on blue, blue is the devil!

lolz

Aaron
07-26-2013, 01:33 PM

Consumer, not customer.

General
07-26-2013, 01:42 PM
May i interject this Tense debate with Pancakes?

Striiker
07-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Remember folks! There is a chance that the server will go into extended window as the announced variance is nearing the end. May be time to enter poopsock mode at the server select screen. Watch for FTE message.

lecompte
07-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Remember folks! There is a chance that the server will go into extended window as the announced variance is nearing the end. May be time to enter poopsock mode at the server select screen. Watch for FTE message.

Lollll... Announced variance is ending in 11 hours, by my reckoning -- that is when tonight becomes tomorrow morning.

Hyasinth
07-26-2013, 01:46 PM

Because it is.

It's like when your mom told you something and you said "but why?"..and she said,

"because I'm the Mom!...that's why!"

Adolphus
07-26-2013, 01:48 PM
I understand the sentiment but... Not an okay post.

I wouldn't try to quantify what is "ok" in regards to defending the staff from a minority of rude, self-entitled players. After all, you're just a simple player like the rest of us - you have no authority to determine what's appropriate here. ;)

Consumer, not customer.

Nah, I had it right. A "customer" implies that the person is entitled to a service that they are buying. A consumer implies nothing. I put "customer" in quotations to insinuate sarcasm.

Clark
07-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Day 2 without P1999:

Droog007
07-26-2013, 01:53 PM
My dog has cancer so I know how you feel.

Three certainties in this world:

Death, taxes, and nerds will be mean on the internet.

lecompte
07-26-2013, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't try to quantify what is "ok" in regards to defending the staff from a minority of rude, self-entitled players. After all, you're just a simple player like the rest of us - you have no authority to determine what's appropriate here.
#1) They don't need you to defend them.
#2) It is a forum rule, I didn't make it. You don't go around calling people dickheads or anything else except in the forum section designated for exactly that.

Adolphus
07-26-2013, 02:07 PM
#1) They don't need you to defend them.
#2) It is a forum rule, I didn't make it. You don't go around calling people dickheads or anything else except in the forum section designated for exactly that.

#1) I'm expressing my opinion on those particular people complaining in the thread, which also happens to be in defense of the staff.

#2) I didn't call anyone a "dickhead" specifically. I generalized that people complaining about a free service (akin to a charity) are dickheads as they put us all at risk of losing something that we enjoy.

#3) Just as you said the staff "don't need [me] to defend them" - neither do they need you to pretend to be the forum hall-monitor.

smoflow
07-26-2013, 02:13 PM
#1) I'm expressing my opinion on those particular people complaining in the thread, which also happens to be in defense of the staff.

#2) I didn't call anyone a "dickhead" specifically. I generalized that people complaining about a free service (akin to a charity) are dickheads as they put us all at risk of losing something that we enjoy.

#3) Just as you the staff "don't need [me] to defend them" - neither do they need you to pretend to be the forum hall-monitor.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

lecompte
07-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Naw :) enough is enough.

smoflow
07-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Hang in there friends! We live in brutal times- where a (wo)man gets hit with daily lag, and sometimes can't even play for two days in a row. It's times like these that we need to band together and support each other. We may not have a server to play on. We may not have anything else to do. But, we have each other. Let us walk humbly through these dark days, focusing on a better future for ourselves, our alts, and our alts alts.

VII
07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116289

I'll just leave this right here, figured since enough people are checking this thread for updates I might be able to have all three items I want lined up to buy when the servers come back up online later tonight. :)

Looking to pay the following if you're selling:

3000 --> Lamentation
2000 --> Crystalline short sword
3500 --> Tolapumj's Robe

pspm

General
07-26-2013, 02:48 PM
/tell Faked if you want Shining Metallic Robes, when we get on.. ^ I like this guys idea.

Fuddwin
07-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Hall monitors rule!!!

Thanks for all you do to the staff once again!!! It cannot be overstated how much "most" of us appreciate what's done around here.

Notserp

Adolphus
07-26-2013, 03:23 PM
It cannot be overstated how much "most" of us appreciate what's done around here.

Notserp

Agreed! Thanks to the staff again. It's due to you guys that we can enjoy the nostalgia of classic EQ!

Gnomersy
07-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Since we are all on this thank you kick I'd like a turn as well. Thank you VOLUNTEER staff for the continued hard work.

Also thank you DDOS'er(s) for exposing the ultra whiney super raging D bags who would rather complain about lag (that occurs for an hour or two) for hours and days on end than find something else to play( literally millions of other games) for a little while. You have accurately identified who I would have beat up out of sheer enjoyment on the play ground. /salute

Rogean
07-26-2013, 04:44 PM
The drives have been installed. Shortly we'll be taking everything down again so that I can configure the array. The array that failed held the vmware install, which is actually still running in memory without a hard drive currently (and running the webserver from a different hard drive array. Yea you read that correctly, the webserver is still running on a vmware server that no longer has access to it's own install drives). I need to configure the array and reinstall VMWare. Unfortunately I will need to also reinstall some operating systems for the game server, and reconfigure the database and link it back to red and replication systems and etc.

I know some of you were hoping it would be up by the time you get home from work, but I also have limited availability to work on this as I am at work myself. I'll be leaving soon so that I can get this done.

lecompte
07-26-2013, 04:44 PM
/cheer

Shinko
07-26-2013, 04:46 PM
why you no take day off from work?

Hyasinth
07-26-2013, 04:46 PM
The drives have been installed. Shortly we'll be taking everything down again so that I can configure the array. The array that failed held the vmware install, which is actually still running in memory without a hard drive currently (and running the webserver from a different hard drive array. Yea you read that correctly, the webserver is still running on a vmware server that no longer has access to it's own install drives). I need to configure the array and reinstall VMWare. Unfortunately I will need to also reinstall some operating systems for the game server, and reconfigure the database and link it back to red and replication systems and etc.

I know some of you were hoping it would be up by the time you get home from work, but I also have limited availability to work on this as I am at work myself. I'll be leaving soon so that I can get this done.

Don't forget to relax a bit, and have some dinner. You rock sir. <3

AceTravis
07-26-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks so much for your dedication to the server Rogean!

Raavak
07-26-2013, 04:50 PM
Hmmm still time to go get a pizza and case of beer before server up?

Shinko
07-26-2013, 04:50 PM
RMP THIS MAN SOME PIZZA!

Dragonsblood1987
07-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Rogean should be a deity option in character creation.

SyanideGas
07-26-2013, 04:54 PM

This is one of the best ideas I have ever heard.

wwoneo
07-26-2013, 04:55 PM

+1

Nirgun
07-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I hope rogean messes up and wipes the server.

Reroll would be fun!

Aelzrith
07-26-2013, 05:13 PM

As a computerologist / technophile / standard nerd... that first paragraph gave me a semi, half chub, no lie. That is fantastic. Hawt swappin'.

What type of RAID array does the server run? I had a RAID 5 running with 6 disks and I remember being able to lose 2 disks and the array would still be up, just with no fault tolerance.

MOAR DISKS.

cathex
07-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Time to chip-in for repairs. Thanks for your hard work!

sulpher01
07-26-2013, 05:23 PM

khanable
07-26-2013, 05:25 PM

Binsfelthakis
07-26-2013, 05:33 PM
well eq is down for the day....looks like its back to heroine for me

smoflow
07-26-2013, 05:35 PM
well eq is down for the day....looks like its back to heroine for me

share, plz

General
07-26-2013, 07:53 PM
the sites back atleast :)

Marcusar775
07-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Im starting to get itchy

General
07-26-2013, 07:56 PM
i can select P1999 on patch, but cant enter, we're getting close!!

Splorf22
07-26-2013, 07:57 PM
I suppose this is one of those unhelpful questions, but now I'm pretty curious about the general architecture of the server.

Rogean
07-26-2013, 08:07 PM
The best estimate I can give right now is that the server will be up no earlier than 10 PM, but more likely around 11-12. Eastern.

lunchbox
07-26-2013, 08:10 PM
depressing :/

Kaeras
07-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Take your time we all appreciate what your doing ...

Vandy
07-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Giving me time to expand my knowledge of Perl Scripting.

tacomagradd
07-26-2013, 08:16 PM
The more delayed the better, got to take the gf to a book signing at 7pm PST. Let the servers get up at 8! /prays.

Also, I donated, and if you are reading this, then you should too.

Zilo
07-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Thank you Rogean for giving the server yet another 96% rez:)

Hanzao
07-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I hope you spend at least some of your free time on yourself tonight, if that involves giving us eq then awesome, otherwise you are doing far more than enough

xCry0x
07-26-2013, 08:31 PM
As a computerologist / technophile / standard nerd... that first paragraph gave me a semi, half chub, no lie. That is fantastic. Hawt swappin'.

What type of RAID array does the server run? I had a RAID 5 running with 6 disks and I remember being able to lose 2 disks and the array would still be up, just with no fault tolerance.

MOAR DISKS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

I am not a storage architect but I would guess it was in raid 5 which is why a double disk failure took it down.

Babyfarts
07-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Thanks Rogean, very much appreciated. As a Massachusetts native, you rock my friend!

OngorDrakan
07-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Go Go RAID ARRAY!

Good work Rogean. Have a beer or 5 after you're done.

And to those whining, SHUT THE FUNK UP!

Dragonmist
07-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks Rogean appreciate your time and efforts.

tiernine
07-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Huzzah! Thank you for the dedication Rogean! Three Cheers!

1203jjt
07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
/cheer
/cheer
/cheer

General
07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Honestly with all this guild-conflicts, can someone make a <Rogeans Followers> guild or something? id join in a heartbeat

Brad_mo123
07-26-2013, 08:48 PM
I hope you spend at least some of your free time on yourself tonight, if that involves giving us eq then awesome, otherwise you are doing far more than enough

After he gets the server back up hes going into a masturbation frenzy to blow off some steam... or atleast that's what im going to do!

daebak
07-26-2013, 08:49 PM
The best estimate I can give right now is that the server will be up no earlier than 10 PM, but more likely around 11-12. Eastern.

Cyfon
07-26-2013, 08:57 PM
After he gets the server back up hes going into a masturbation frenzy to blow off some steam... or atleast that's what im going to do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

ravax
07-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks for everything Rogean!
:)

radditsu
07-26-2013, 09:07 PM

As a person who knows what you are talking about
... jesus. I have never had a storage nightmare like that since before vmware was a thing. But I spend taxpayer money...

kingsBlend
07-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Smoking a bowl in honor of Sir Rogean.

lunchbox
07-26-2013, 09:13 PM
what that guy said

Babyfarts
07-26-2013, 09:15 PM

wish i had a bowl to smoke :(

Nyze
07-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Rogean you da man

daebak
07-26-2013, 09:21 PM

I already smoked three for him! Well...I mean I would have done it anyway, but I dedicate it to him!

Whoa2323
07-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Thank you for all the work you've put into this. I will wait patiently and I hope others do the same.

Kimmie
07-26-2013, 09:23 PM
I had a glass of water.

mtb tripper
07-26-2013, 09:26 PM
all new players come to red, nihilum is giving away all sorts of gear to new players

Rysky
07-26-2013, 09:31 PM
As a new player recently recapturing the feeling of EQ again I must say I have been pretty bummed these past two days when I couldn't okay. But no complaints from this guy. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication! We all greatly appreciate it!!!!!

General
07-26-2013, 09:34 PM
As a new player recently recapturing the feeling of EQ again I must say I have been pretty bummed these past two days when I couldn't okay. But no complaints from this guy. Thanks for all your hard work and dedication! We all greatly appreciate it!!!!!

The amazing community you can vaguely recollect from 1999 is in this server. We are amazing people, and i personally have great feeling of nostalgia with the generosity of the players.

Ulwyn
07-26-2013, 09:34 PM

OMG that sounds like a greek tragedy! Thanks for the hard work Rogean!

Rogean
07-26-2013, 09:43 PM
As a person who knows what you are talking about
... jesus. I have never had a storage nightmare like that since before vmware was a thing. But I spend taxpayer money...

Yea It's a shitload easier when you have multiple hosts with the same hardware and SAN storage with multiple controllers, iscsi switches, etc. We have nowhere near any of that. Just a few hosts with local storage and free unlicensed esxi (God I wish I had an esxi license.. it would save me a LOT of headaches moving stuff around if I had vcenter).

Atleast this new array has a hot swap this time, yay.

Rysky
07-26-2013, 09:49 PM
The amazing community you can vaguely recollect from 1999 is in this server. We are amazing people, and i personally have great feeling of nostalgia with the generosity of the players.

So many helpful people! I love the level of respect, at least everyone I have ran across, has for one another.

Ulwyn
07-26-2013, 09:52 PM
hot swap for the win!

Yamamushi
07-26-2013, 09:53 PM
So many helpful people! I love the level of respect, at least everyone I have ran across, has for one another.

Definitely the nicest and most supportive group of players I've ever come across.

dwightgeary
07-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks rogean ............for everything

valithteezee
07-26-2013, 09:57 PM
All this down time has given me a chance to catch up on my bible reading.. ON THE SEVENTH DAY GOD CREATED ROGEAN! AMEN!

Bantam 1
07-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Yea It's a shitload easier when you have multiple hosts with the same hardware and SAN storage with multiple controllers, iscsi switches, etc. We have nowhere near any of that. Just a few hosts with local storage and free unlicensed esxi (God I wish I had an esxi license.. it would save me a LOT of headaches moving stuff around if I had vcenter).

How much is that?

dax
07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
All this down time has given me a chance to catch up on my bible reading.. ON THE SEVENTH DAY GOD CREATED ROGEAN! AMEN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHH2JItePlc

Erati
07-26-2013, 10:05 PM
How many of us r gonna cry when within the first hour of server return so does DDOS :(

Rogean
07-26-2013, 10:06 PM
How much is that?

An esxi license? Depends on the version, but either way typically not justifiable for a project like ours. (I think Essentials is around $500 and Essentials Plus over $4k. There are a lot of other things more beneficial to spend money like that on.).

It's possible someone might even have one laying around, if they work for a large corporation that has some they never used... one could hope >_>

Rogean
07-26-2013, 10:06 PM
How many of us r gonna cry when within the first hour of server return so does DDOS :(

Can't rule it out.. It's probably likely.

TAllen82
07-26-2013, 10:09 PM
....pixels....must....have....pixels....also thank you, for everything you do.....now back to the waiting

radditsu
07-26-2013, 10:09 PM

I love my dedicated 10gb multiple host tunnels. The only thing they wont let me get this year is real fiber channel network switches that integrates with vcenter to change my vlan assignments on the fly. I have to swap ports manually on any emergency change over as it is. ....they wanted to spend money on a phone system....who needs phones!?

But I just realized I love my job. Or I will until I get a phone call about a freaking password reset.

spoils
07-26-2013, 10:12 PM

god...you are so hot when you talk dirty.

Calabee
07-26-2013, 10:13 PM
are we there yet?

sulpher01
07-26-2013, 10:14 PM
are we there yet?

5 more minutes.

Yamamushi
07-26-2013, 10:15 PM
How much is that?

It depends on what features you're looking for and how large of a deployment you intend on doing. It can cost a LOT or just a few hundred dollars depending on what you want to do:

http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere/pricing.html
http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/

mtb tripper
07-26-2013, 10:16 PM
i say an hour and 30

Yamamushi
07-26-2013, 10:17 PM
It's possible someone might even have one laying around, if they work for a large corporation that has some they never used... one could hope >_>

I can probably help with that, I'll see what I can dig up this Sunday...

mtb tripper
07-26-2013, 10:25 PM
himato yoshi

Method
07-26-2013, 10:25 PM
I have a copy of Microsoft Windows Server 2011 SBS Essentials for a Small Business Server, Would this help make life easier?

Rogean
07-26-2013, 10:26 PM
I have licenses for almost everything Microsoft through my job. Thanks though.

Shinko
07-26-2013, 10:29 PM
rogean how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Rogean
07-26-2013, 10:30 PM
A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Shinko
07-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Unbrella: Eat Pussy
Unbrella: Drink Whiskey
Unbrella: Hail, Satan!
*** Private chat session has been closed ***
*** User has disconnected ***

see what happens when the server are not up. Rogean you make clerics go crazy

Shinko
07-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Well, to measure the amount, the chucker had to count, which only a human could. Well if the counter couldn't chuck and the chucker couldn't count then there is nothing each other could say. The only conclusion and the single solution is that chucking wood is gay.

- PM from sussy

Wildino
07-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Chuck Norris ?

Craglar
07-26-2013, 10:35 PM
A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Does a woodchuck really chuck wood? would make a great gardener i guess.

VII
07-26-2013, 10:37 PM
chuck
/CHək/

Verb
Throw (something) carelessly or casually.
Touch (someone) playfully or gently under the chin.

Noun
A playful touch under the chin.
A device for holding a workpiece in a lathe or a tool in a drill, typically having three or four jaws that move radially in and out.
Food or provisions.

hmm, none of this makes sense for a woodchuck...

VII
07-26-2013, 10:39 PM
also, this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRu5pQU38K4

supports no evidence that woodchucks even chuck wood..

kaos057
07-26-2013, 10:41 PM
hmm, none of this makes sense for a woodchuck...

actually it makes perfect sense

kaos057
07-26-2013, 10:43 PM
supports no evidence that woodchucks even chuck wood..

I would assume that's why it goes if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Kaejer
07-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Ahhhhh *throws money at the server til it comes back up*.

Can't wait for it to come back online.

TAllen82
07-26-2013, 10:49 PM
If nothing else all this downtime gave me a reason to look at some of the other EQEmu servers and gain a WHOLE new appreciation for the one we have.....good god there's some horrible servers out there...what are those people thinking NOT playing on P99

iRFNA
07-26-2013, 10:50 PM
MAGIKARP CHALLENGE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMx0x0j5wc)

Watch this until the server is up. Double points if you're Rogean!

General
07-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Why is Rogeans Avatar Peter Griffin?

TheLieka
07-26-2013, 10:53 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001908201/103293371_funny_pictures_polite_woodchuck2_xlarge. jpeg

Guilty.

<3,
Stiles

Rogean
07-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Why is Rogeans Avatar Peter Griffin?

CRYSTAL METH

General
07-26-2013, 10:55 PM
CRYSTAL METH

Ah. uhh, whatever speeds up your day. <3

Nirgun
07-26-2013, 10:55 PM
If nothing else all this downtime gave me a reason to look at some of the other EQEmu servers and gain a WHOLE new appreciation for the one we have.....good god there's some horrible servers out there...what are those people thinking NOT playing on P99

The stock eqemu code is terrible, old, and rogean doesnt update it.

Not everyone appreciates that

General
07-26-2013, 10:56 PM
The stock eqemu code is terrible, old, and rogean doesnt update it.

Not everyone appreciates that

Wtf does that mean?

Reapin
07-26-2013, 10:59 PM

Don't distract the man! He must toil with his server first!!

iRFNA
07-26-2013, 11:01 PM
What do you care, all you do is walk around the EC tunnel dueling naked women

Cyfon
07-26-2013, 11:02 PM
CRYSTAL METH

I'M SO FUCKING READY!

Shinko
07-26-2013, 11:04 PM

Lmao

Yamamushi
07-26-2013, 11:13 PM
I'M SO FUCKING READY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07wuZ3EWMAA

cimarron
07-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Rogean can you give us any kind of update?

mtb tripper
07-26-2013, 11:17 PM
neeeeed druggggsss

Dragonmist
07-26-2013, 11:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U2cZ2cEY1Q

mdadm
07-26-2013, 11:22 PM

I've been watching this thread for some time but I've not seen anyone point this out, so I'm taking the opportunity. If this ain't news to you, then, excuse the noise. :o

Drives are usually rated with an MTTF (mean time to failure), which gives an estimate of how many hours the drives will last before they fail. Usually, the variance associated with an MTTF is not very large. So now consider if you buy 6 drives, from the exact same batch (where the real times to failure are much likely to be closer together than the variance the manufacturer might claim with their MTTF), and put them in the same server at the same time. Now these drives each have the same number of hours on them... so even though you have your nice RAID5 so you can lose a drive without losing data, suddenly, 3 years in, you get multiple drives failing within a week of each other.

I suspect that's what's happened here, but knowing very little about the actual setup, I can't realistically make assumptions. Anyway, this kind of situation actually happens quite commonly; I've heard numerous horror stories.

Hope this is helpful information; if not to Rogean, then to someone else. :)

CapersL
07-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Rogean can you give us any kind of update?

http://www.strokesplus.com/images/funny/olliefamp99.jpg

Shinko
07-26-2013, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbLyVpWsVM

good way to kill 50mins

Tiggles
07-26-2013, 11:35 PM

WTT Magikarp have....14

http://i.imgur.com/pyorcfd.jpg