PDA

View Full Version : Forget_pp

Superjiff
08-08-2013, 02:00 AM
So everquest came out in 99 and I didn't even know anything bout it. I started a new job and meet a lot of people that talked about a game "everquest" (summer of 2000). I wanted to get to know the game seems I was a gamer growing up (mostly fighting and shooters "golden eye owns"). So one of the guys in which I'm still friends with to this day asked me to come over to his house and check eq out. After watching him play his necro for awhile I knew I was gonna have fun playin and interacting with everyone.

I went out and bough my own copy of eq that weekend, I was 18 at the time and fresh into college. My first attempt at a character was a dark elf shadow knight (cindel), I made it to around 20ish before I just couldn't take it anymore... I had no money and my gear was just junk.. I was wearing leather armor from the vendor and had no real idea in how or where to make money... Nor did my friends tell me anything really. All the kept telling me was to level up. So after many, many deaths and not realizing I even had taunt at level 20 I retired my sk and started a Druid.

Rainwolf was born... Not needing gear as much and being able to kite was the life! I leveled super, super fast and once I got sow it was amazing. Being a healer I tagged along with people whom knew the game and watched all the classes and rolls they played. Being rainwolf wasn't super exciting or anything but I credit everything I learned about eq to him and it was a perfect first character roll.

Fast forward to P99. In which I skipped a TON of my eq life as my necro and monk became my mains. Anyways 2013... Life is sooooo different now and I'm lucky to get 4 hours a week to play :( I'm married and my wife has 2 children in which I love them all which is why I only get maybe 4 hours a week on P99. I do love playing and I miss the game TONS. When I'm a work I look up maps and zones thinking bout what to do and blah blah... A lot of times I just wish I could just forget bout everquest period and let the past be the past. I guess it's not too bad seems I never play... Problem is, it's still on my mind. Wish there was more hours in the day so I could play.. It's mind numbing at times cause I know how much there is to do in real life "always"... Never is time. Anyone ever feel this way? I share all this with you cause literally no one really understands how much a game can still weight in thoughts and good times.. The adventure of looking up maps and stepping foot in the zone you have been researching. Needless to say, I've mentioned eq and even some stories to my wife but, no one really understands unless you have been there I don't think.

Halius
08-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm right there with you. Hence why I'm only level 15 after more than a month on the server.

phocalc
08-08-2013, 11:04 AM
I heard of EQ through a small online game in February of '99. I immediately went and got my copy. I too had troubles in the first month or so not to mention the troubles Verant was having not realizing how many people were going to enjoy this game. I was lucky and ran into people who were generous with input and time. We were all broke in game but we shared what we had and that generated into my first guild. We camped spawns that classes needed, gave components or reagents that we couldn't use ourselves to others that could. My first experience ran for 2 1/2 years until 2002 with Shadows of Luclin came out. I realized that the game was heading in a direction I didn't care for and left.
Still after all these years I come across this Project 1999 and thought of my memories and how games today just are just plain dull within 3 or 4 months of playing. For many WoW is their Everquest but to me it was nasty children with big mouths, dumbed down play, easy mode gaming.

So I found a copy of Everquest Titanium and dove in to P99 and am in gaming heaven! As I am older as well, I've learned to enjoy the time I have to game. It isn't as much as it was back in '99 or '00 but the fact that I can play my all time favorite game the way it is meant to be played is the joy. (Yes the joy was and is in the journey).

Hazek
08-08-2013, 11:09 AM
I know what you mean. My MMO binging goes in cycles. I get sucked into an MMO like EQ because I love it so much, then I play every day for a few months, then reality kicks in and I realize i'm wasting time. Then I try to do something productive and useful with my life. Then I can't seem to level up or find anything interesting to do in RL. Then I play MMO's again.

Also, no game compares to EQ, still. Devs are too afraid to create a game with consequences or difficulty because of a mass movement of brainless scrubs who think that easy gameplay equates to fun. I prefer the feeling of being stuck in a dungeon with dangerous mobs and other players nearby that I may require assistance from.

Cool story huh.

Swish
08-08-2013, 11:16 AM
My first experience ran for 2 1/2 years until 2002 with Shadows of Luclin came out. I realized that the game was heading in a direction I didn't care for and left.

I'm sorry but that stinks of hindsight... nobody I knew gave up during Luclin, if anything the game was still growing. Sure it was different, and the story to it all was a bit stretched... but it didn't take away from most people's enjoyment.

ncapatina
08-08-2013, 11:39 AM
tldr

Boone
08-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Ahh memories...

5 of us got EQ when it first came out. No one knew anything about it and there was nothing available as far as maps/guides so we created our characters to group together; Ranger (me), paladin, rogue, wizard and a monk. Who needed a cleric when ranger and pally could heal?

Man we sucked soooo bad! But damn did we have fun! I remember when my ranger hit lvl 5 with a full set of patchwork; went into BB for the first time, fell through the hole in the tree and lost my corpse. I was so pissed at losing everything!

First run from Quenos to Freeport and I was like WOW, look at that bridge! Running through the Gorge and then Runnyeye, man that was a dangerous run. Then waiting 4+ hours in the vale to get someone, anyone who could bind us! When we finally found someone... fizzle, fizzle, fizzle. Putting all your gear in the bank before taking a boat; just in case? Geez that was fun times.

I'm sure you must remember this...
Seen my corpse? (http://youtu.be/qDDYwimYEuw)

fadetree
08-08-2013, 01:21 PM
I was actually deep into writing my OWN multiplayer game in the spring of '99. I had quit my day job and everything, and was moving my custom 16-player text game ( like a mud sorta, like Gemstone III ) which I had run locally off of 16 phone lines, very successfully, onto this newfangled interwebs. So I was keeping up with gaming news, and I was trying out the 'competition'...I saw Meridian 59 and tried it and thought, er no problem there, that SUCKS.

Then I tried Everquest. My jaw dropped, and I knew I was beaten, gave up my own game and went back to work.

Philipangoo
08-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Sick story mine is pretty similar.

Pint
08-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I was actually deep into writing my OWN multiplayer game in the spring of '99. I had quit my day job and everything, and was moving my custom 16-player text game ( like a mud sorta, like Gemstone III ) which I had run locally off of 16 phone lines, very successfully, onto this newfangled interwebs. So I was keeping up with gaming news, and I was trying out the 'competition'...I saw Meridian 59 and tried it and thought, er no problem there, that SUCKS.

Then I tried Everquest. My jaw dropped, and I knew I was beaten, gave up my own game and went back to work.

lol there is no shame in this defeat friend

Nikon
08-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I was going to post a story earlier and then forgot after about 3 minutes of staring at Swish's sig and then getting distracted by work...

Halius
08-08-2013, 02:24 PM
I was going to post a story earlier and then forgot after about 3 minutes of staring at Swish's sig and then getting distracted by work...

Lol I did the exact same thing. Damn sig, watched the whole thing just to have it start over again.

Nordenwatch
08-08-2013, 02:28 PM
i watched his sig play through twice, I regret nothing.

Glasken
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
i watched his sig play through twice, I regret nothing.

A co-worker and I just spent later part of our lunch break watching that .gif.

Swish, you do include the best clips.

/hat tip

kaev
08-08-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry but that stinks of hindsight... nobody I knew gave up during Luclin, if anything the game was still growing. Sure it was different, and the story to it all was a bit stretched... but it didn't take away from most people's enjoyment.

LOL, most of my friends gave up at Velious release, the rest abandoned ship at Luclin. Original EQ evolved steadily away from grouping towards a raid-guild emphasis, starting with Hate, then Sky, then Kunark. At Velious the emphasis became so obvious only the willfully blond could miss it. The evolution of the game continued to accelerate until it was crowned by PoP where they introduced extensive group content deliberately gated to keep non-raiders out.

Plenty of people saw it coming and abandoned ship along the way. There ain't no hindsight in phocalc's comment, just ignorance in yours.

myriverse
08-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Very, very few were leaving during Luclin. No one I knew.

webrunner5
08-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Luclin is my favorite expansion. Never was too fond of Velious.

Halius
08-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Very, very few were leaving during Luclin. No one I knew.

Nobody I knew left during Luclin, it wasn't until sometime during PoP that we all started to stray away from EQ.

Sadre Spinegnawer
08-08-2013, 04:58 PM
good post dude. And yes, it is a blessing and a curse this server is "classic" -- aka, not nerfed to hell so a mongolian can even play it.

The good news is, there is no rush. The devs of p99 are smart. All of the SOE progression servers moved way too fast, and lots of people gave up trying to keep up.

As somany people say on threads like this: level up at your own pace, make friends, have some fun and do some goals and quests, and slowly try to earn the 70k it will take you to buy a single end game item ;P

voodooutt
08-10-2013, 12:43 PM
It's taken me almost 2 years to get to lvl 41 on p99. Similar story as op. Family. Children. No time. Still dream of EQ lol. and as last poster said, there's no rush. I've played on those damn progression servers and quit after having to spend 7 hours a friggin day to keep up, its annoying.