Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Forget_pp

So everquest came out in 99 and I didn't even know anything bout it. I started a new job and meet a lot of people that talked about a game "everquest" (summer of 2000). I wanted to get to know the game seems I was a gamer growing up (mostly fighting and shooters "golden eye owns"). So one of the guys in which I'm still friends with to this day asked me to come over to his house and check eq out. After watching him play his necro for awhile I knew I was gonna have fun playin and interacting with everyone.

I went out and bough my own copy of eq that weekend, I was 18 at the time and fresh into college. My first attempt at a character was a dark elf shadow knight (cindel), I made it to around 20ish before I just couldn't take it anymore... I had no money and my gear was just junk.. I was wearing leather armor from the vendor and had no real idea in how or where to make money... Nor did my friends tell me anything really. All the kept telling me was to level up. So after many, many deaths and not realizing I even had taunt at level 20 I retired my sk and started a Druid.

Rainwolf was born... Not needing gear as much and being able to kite was the life! I leveled super, super fast and once I got sow it was amazing. Being a healer I tagged along with people whom knew the game and watched all the classes and rolls they played. Being rainwolf wasn't super exciting or anything but I credit everything I learned about eq to him and it was a perfect first character roll.

Fast forward to P99. In which I skipped a TON of my eq life as my necro and monk became my mains. Anyways 2013... Life is sooooo different now and I'm lucky to get 4 hours a week to play [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'm married and my wife has 2 children in which I love them all which is why I only get maybe 4 hours a week on P99. I do love playing and I miss the game TONS. When I'm a work I look up maps and zones thinking bout what to do and blah blah... A lot of times I just wish I could just forget bout everquest period and let the past be the past. I guess it's not too bad seems I never play... Problem is, it's still on my mind. Wish there was more hours in the day so I could play.. It's mind numbing at times cause I know how much there is to do in real life "always"... Never is time. Anyone ever feel this way? I share all this with you cause literally no one really understands how much a game can still weight in thoughts and good times.. The adventure of looking up maps and stepping foot in the zone you have been researching. Needless to say, I've mentioned eq and even some stories to my wife but, no one really understands unless you have been there I don't think.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Sarnak

I'm right there with you. Hence why I'm only level 15 after more than a month on the server.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Decaying Skeleton

I heard of EQ through a small online game in February of '99. I immediately went and got my copy. I too had troubles in the first month or so not to mention the troubles Verant was having not realizing how many people were going to enjoy this game. I was lucky and ran into people who were generous with input and time. We were all broke in game but we shared what we had and that generated into my first guild. We camped spawns that classes needed, gave components or reagents that we couldn't use ourselves to others that could. My first experience ran for 2 1/2 years until 2002 with Shadows of Luclin came out. I realized that the game was heading in a direction I didn't care for and left.
Still after all these years I come across this Project 1999 and thought of my memories and how games today just are just plain dull within 3 or 4 months of playing. For many WoW is their Everquest but to me it was nasty children with big mouths, dumbed down play, easy mode gaming.

So I found a copy of Everquest Titanium and dove in to P99 and am in gaming heaven! As I am older as well, I've learned to enjoy the time I have to game. It isn't as much as it was back in '99 or '00 but the fact that I can play my all time favorite game the way it is meant to be played is the joy. (Yes the joy was and is in the journey).
Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Banned

I know what you mean. My MMO binging goes in cycles. I get sucked into an MMO like EQ because I love it so much, then I play every day for a few months, then reality kicks in and I realize i'm wasting time. Then I try to do something productive and useful with my life. Then I can't seem to level up or find anything interesting to do in RL. Then I play MMO's again.

Also, no game compares to EQ, still. Devs are too afraid to create a game with consequences or difficulty because of a mass movement of brainless scrubs who think that easy gameplay equates to fun. I prefer the feeling of being stuck in a dungeon with dangerous mobs and other players nearby that I may require assistance from.

Cool story huh.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by phocalc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My first experience ran for 2 1/2 years until 2002 with Shadows of Luclin came out. I realized that the game was heading in a direction I didn't care for and left.
I'm sorry but that stinks of hindsight... nobody I knew gave up during Luclin, if anything the game was still growing. Sure it was different, and the story to it all was a bit stretched... but it didn't take away from most people's enjoyment.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Kobold

tldr
Old 08-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ahh memories...

5 of us got EQ when it first came out. No one knew anything about it and there was nothing available as far as maps/guides so we created our characters to group together; Ranger (me), paladin, rogue, wizard and a monk. Who needed a cleric when ranger and pally could heal?

Man we sucked soooo bad! But damn did we have fun! I remember when my ranger hit lvl 5 with a full set of patchwork; went into BB for the first time, fell through the hole in the tree and lost my corpse. I was so pissed at losing everything!

First run from Quenos to Freeport and I was like WOW, look at that bridge! Running through the Gorge and then Runnyeye, man that was a dangerous run. Then waiting 4+ hours in the vale to get someone, anyone who could bind us! When we finally found someone... fizzle, fizzle, fizzle. Putting all your gear in the bank before taking a boat; just in case? Geez that was fun times.

I'm sure you must remember this...
Seen my corpse?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

I was actually deep into writing my OWN multiplayer game in the spring of '99. I had quit my day job and everything, and was moving my custom 16-player text game ( like a mud sorta, like Gemstone III ) which I had run locally off of 16 phone lines, very successfully, onto this newfangled interwebs. So I was keeping up with gaming news, and I was trying out the 'competition'...I saw Meridian 59 and tried it and thought, er no problem there, that SUCKS.

Then I tried Everquest. My jaw dropped, and I knew I was beaten, gave up my own game and went back to work.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Kobold

Sick story mine is pretty similar.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was actually deep into writing my OWN multiplayer game in the spring of '99. I had quit my day job and everything, and was moving my custom 16-player text game ( like a mud sorta, like Gemstone III ) which I had run locally off of 16 phone lines, very successfully, onto this newfangled interwebs. So I was keeping up with gaming news, and I was trying out the 'competition'...I saw Meridian 59 and tried it and thought, er no problem there, that SUCKS.

Then I tried Everquest. My jaw dropped, and I knew I was beaten, gave up my own game and went back to work.
lol there is no shame in this defeat friend