PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts(multiboxing)

Mixer
07-06-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but I've been discussing the subject with some friends who were thinking about trying Project99. The one thing that's holding them back is the no multiboxing rule.

Yes, I know how much damage one person boxing a full group of six characters could do. Locking down spawns/camps/exp and hoarding everything to one player's characters was an extreme detriment. However, boxing ONE extra character so you controlled two at once was a huge boon to myself, friends and even strangers. I'll explain:

Since a friend and I played monks from 1999-2003, we couldn't do a whole lot of grouping with just duoing at higher levels, we needed healing and support, and sometimes a tank. I started boxing another friend's cleric so we could get a group off the ground, and due to it's effectiveness, we started doing it daily. Starting with us, we'd grab random players that were LFG nearby, and start a group quickly and be off and having fun while skipping the whole "sitting around LFG with nothing to do" that I think most players hate. I'd drop the box cleric if a real one wanted in, which was fine since we had an established group going already. The point is that thanks to boxing, we greatly enhanced our time spent in game, while benefiting other people and making new friends as we went. It worked perfectly.

We were very disappointed to see that Project99 doesn't allow boxing of any type, but I completely understand the reasoning due to the larger multiboxing groups monopolizing content. Sadly, the side effect is that it also destroys the way some people multiboxed with only one extra character just to help form up groups. Does anyone else feel the same or have any similar experiences?

Daldaen
07-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Boxing would be fun, even if limited to 2.

Would be nice to not have to bother other people to rez myself if I was dumb.

But something you will find very quickly, is people here have an irrational fear against boxing. They think it will crush everything about this server, blah blah blah. When a good 50%+ of zones are empty at most times. The prime-time zones like Sebilis and Karnors and Overthere would surely be packed all day every day. But boxing would force people into out of the way zones to exp like Splitpaw and Cazic Thule.

Swish
07-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Project 1999 aside, you can pick ANY other EQ Emu server and enjoy multiboxing.

Try THF (The Hidden Forest), people regularly 12 box on there - you'll love it.

Or get an IP exemption, but don't expect to keep it if you're going to log one in to buff the other etc :p

Swish
07-06-2014, 09:15 AM
But something you will find very quickly, is people here have an irrational fear against boxing.

Did you ever play on Kegz server?

azxten
07-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Allowing even 2 boxing would make it very difficult/time wasting for GMs to check people who might go beyond 2. It would also result in 9 people playing 18 characters and locking down a lot of raid content.

Daldaen
07-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Allowing even 2 boxing would make it very difficult/time wasting for GMs to check people who might go beyond 2. It would also result in 9 people playing 18 characters and locking down a lot of raid content.

Since Raid content is left up for DAYS at a time and any old-PUG is free to raid Dracoliche or Maestro whenever they want... PAUSE.... NOT.

5 Years later, people still actively track and batphone the shittiest mobs like Maestro. Boxing will not change the raid landscape much since there are already enough neckbeards willing to answer the call at 3AM on a weekday to kill Maestro.

It will just shift from 20 neckbeards logging in 20 characters to 15 neckbeards logging in 30 characters.

Swish
07-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Did you play on Kegz server tho Daldaen? I'm guessing not.

People abused the boxing limit from the opening night.

Tiggles
07-06-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but I've been discussing the subject with some friends who were thinking about trying Project99. The one thing that's holding them back is the no multiboxing rule.

Yes, I know how much damage one person boxing a full group of six characters could do. Locking down spawns/camps/exp and hoarding everything to one player's characters was an extreme detriment. However, boxing ONE extra character so you controlled two at once was a huge boon to myself, friends and even strangers. I'll explain:

Since a friend and I played monks from 1999-2003, we couldn't do a whole lot of grouping with just duoing at higher levels, we needed healing and support, and sometimes a tank. I started boxing another friend's cleric so we could get a group off the ground, and due to it's effectiveness, we started doing it daily. Starting with us, we'd grab random players that were LFG nearby, and start a group quickly and be off and having fun while skipping the whole "sitting around LFG with nothing to do" that I think most players hate. I'd drop the box cleric if a real one wanted in, which was fine since we had an established group going already. The point is that thanks to boxing, we greatly enhanced our time spent in game, while benefiting other people and making new friends as we went. It worked perfectly.

We were very disappointed to see that Project99 doesn't allow boxing of any type, but I completely understand the reasoning due to the larger multiboxing groups monopolizing content. Sadly, the side effect is that it also destroys the way some people multiboxed with only one extra character just to help form up groups. Does anyone else feel the same or have any similar experiences?

Ban this idiot.

fastboy21
07-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Lol @ kegz

Daldaen
07-06-2014, 10:03 AM
People abuse every loophole they can. It is a lot easier to catch someone 4 boxing than someone 2 boxing.

But no I didn't play on whatever a Kegz is.

Bboboo
07-06-2014, 10:06 AM
I used to want multibox here. Now I realize how it would trivialize so many things.

Brocode
07-06-2014, 10:19 AM
boxing kills the gameplay in many ways, even if it was 2.

myriverse
07-06-2014, 10:20 AM
"Holding them back..." Bwahahahahahahaha!

Daywolf
07-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Yeah go play with them on peq or somethin. I can hold a KC camp there with 2 drui's. Don't need that here.

nilbog
07-06-2014, 10:52 AM
No.

kaev
07-06-2014, 10:56 AM
No.

^^
Holding the line on p99. :)

Mixer
07-06-2014, 11:01 AM

Or get an IP exemption, but don't expect to keep it if you're going to log one in to buff the other etc :p

I actually despise people boxing more then one extra character, for the aforementioned reasons of locking down content.

I also was in no way requesting or demanding for this to be allowed, just wondering how others felt about it whether positive or negative. And yes, I realize it would be difficult to track those trying to cheat the system by running three or more, even if two were allowed.

Ban this idiot.

Nice response to someone simply wondering how others felt about a subject.

For those that gave some input, it is appreciated, thanks.

Kevris
07-06-2014, 11:33 AM
SoE likes Boxing. It's one person paying for more than one account, it's great for their business.

P99 doesn't like boxing. It's one person putting extra stress on the (free) server and participating in anti-social behavior.

No boxing.

Rhambuk
07-06-2014, 11:50 AM
It's bad and you should feel bad.

SCB
07-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Shits classic.

Pint
07-06-2014, 02:12 PM
No.

God hath spoken, gg.

Pint
07-06-2014, 02:16 PM
If your big problem is that you can't get a group going then you're prob in the wrong guild for your current progression.

arsenalpow
07-06-2014, 02:21 PM
No.

Peekae
07-06-2014, 02:30 PM
No.

^^

Itching
07-06-2014, 03:39 PM
I think the server is populated enough as it is to not need dual boxing. It was at 1000 people last night, you can't say there are not people you couldn't convince to level with.

Glenzig
07-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Multi boxing is probably the stupidest concept that has been allowed in MMO's. Why any MMO at any time for any reason has allowed multi boxing is beyond me. The entire point of the whole genre was to bring like minded people together in one place to enjoy a specific form of entertainment. This isn't a console game. You can't run exploits as you please. If P99 is too hard as a duo, then find a group. If it "takes too long" to find 2-4 other people, then realize that you will be stuck with your duo. There is a reason why p99 has been successful. No boxing is a pretty big part of that. Don't buy it? Look at the population of the other emu servers.

Lune
07-06-2014, 04:08 PM
IDoes anyone else feel the same or have any similar experiences?

No.

PDX0621
07-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I blame bard's. The answer to any problem on P1999, Its bard's fault.

Glenzig
07-06-2014, 04:13 PM
I blame bard's. The answer to any problem on P1999, Its bard's fault.

Well that's pretty much true. Bards and TMO. They ruined everything.

Snackies
07-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Play on p99 velious beta - box all you want.

Prismaticshop
07-06-2014, 04:15 PM
No 2box is what makes p99 classic

Gtfo and go play WoW

sox7d
07-06-2014, 04:16 PM
how to solve "OMG I HATE LFGING"

1. Make character A

2. get to level 10

3. make character B

4. everyday log in and LFG on character A for 10 minutes then log on character B and play them

5. do this every 10 levels

bonus tip: send tells, start your own group in uncommon spots. had shred EXP track + chain pulling EJ outside of COM when it was camped (only 10% less zem)

i have a 60 wizard, a 45 ranger, a 40 shaman, a 20 paladin and a 13 warrior. i never waste time LFG.

Swish
07-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Play on p99 velious beta - box all you want.

how are they supposed to tunnelquest tho? :(

kildone
07-06-2014, 07:28 PM
I leveled druid to 48 and a cleric to 24 on blue last year. I could almost never find a group. It seemed everyone was already 50+ or just power leveling exclusively for money or close friends. I think that allowing two boxing up to level 40 only makes sense. People do it anyways. I seen it often on blue. I seen someone get busted too.

I can understand all the reasons it's banned and support them except in the case of lower levels.

Just some thoughts from a new player who really appreciates having had the opportunity to play eq again and for free.

Interesting side note. I almost gave up on P99 unless a fresh server starts one day because I feel I started too late. But I decided to give red a try and even with 20% of the population
I don't have any problems finding groups. Up to 39 cleric in a short time due to the group exp bonus and some friendship of strangers. On the occasion there is power leveling going on they invite you to join them.

Swish
07-06-2014, 07:38 PM
I decided to give red a try and even with 20% of the population

I don't have any problems finding groups.

Up to 39 cleric in a short time due to the group exp bonus and some friendship of strangers.

On the occasion there is power leveling going on they invite you to join them.

http://i.imgur.com/B21UZRK.png

Glenzig
07-06-2014, 08:17 PM
I leveled druid to 48 and a cleric to 24 on blue last year. I could almost never find a group. It seemed everyone was already 50+ or just power leveling exclusively for money or close friends. I think that allowing two boxing up to level 40 only makes sense. People do it anyways. I seen it often on blue. I seen someone get busted too.

I can understand all the reasons it's banned and support them except in the case of lower levels.

Just some thoughts from a new player who really appreciates having had the opportunity to play eq again and for free.

Interesting side note. I almost gave up on P99 unless a fresh server starts one day because I feel I started too late. But I decided to give red a try and even with 20% of the population
I don't have any problems finding groups. Up to 39 cleric in a short time due to the group exp bonus and some friendship of strangers. On the occasion there is power leveling going on they invite you to join them.

You must be playing during severe off-peak times. I have a level 17 cleric that I play on the rare occasion that my brother can play. I can't log on to him for 15 minutes without getting group invites. Druid is a little more understandable, they aren't as desired in the group setting, but still, I have gotten many an invite on my druid also.

Clark
07-06-2014, 08:28 PM

Xer0
07-06-2014, 08:36 PM
SoE likes Boxing. It's one person paying for more than one account, it's great for their business.

P99 doesn't like boxing. It's one person putting extra stress on the (free) server and participating in anti-social behavior.

No boxing.

antisocial behavior|

lol

Champion_Standing
07-06-2014, 08:46 PM
I say that an additional box should be granted as a reward for every level 60 char that you have.

Laugher
07-06-2014, 09:05 PM
No.

http://i.imgur.com/sZGmTjj.gif

http://i.imgur.com/UcuVuFk.jpg

But really played lotsa EQ, never wanted to box. I would say that the box limit is still a large selling point of P99, and look tonight 1.1k ppl on the box, no boxing blue servers even come close.

Clark
07-06-2014, 09:11 PM
how to solve "OMG I HATE LFGING"

1. Make character A

2. get to level 10

3. make character B

4. everyday log in and LFG on character A for 10 minutes then log on character B and play them

5. do this every 10 levels

bonus tip: send tells, start your own group in uncommon spots. had shred EXP track + chain pulling EJ outside of COM when it was camped (only 10% less zem)

i have a 60 wizard, a 45 ranger, a 40 shaman, a 20 paladin and a 13 warrior. i never waste time LFG.

Nice post, but have to kindly disagree. You're better off going 1-60 focusing xp over all and never messing around on alts until you max first char.

Itching
07-06-2014, 09:46 PM
But really played lotsa EQ, never wanted to box. I would say that the box limit is still a large selling point of P99, and look tonight 1.1k ppl on the box, no boxing blue servers even come close.

I would have to agree on this, we have a stable environment here. Plus we don't have to worry about all the policing that would go along with boxing.

kaev
07-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Nice post, but have to kindly disagree. You're better off going 1-60 focusing xp over all and never messing around on alts until you max first char.

Jawohl! You must play exactly and only the shortest path to level 60! Noncompliance will not be tolerated. You are NOT here to have fun, get that foolish notion out of your silly girlish head. Nancy-boys are not wanted here, only the pure master-race will be accepted! Do not prattle on about "playstyles" and other such foolishness. GET ON ZE TRUCK! SCHNELL!!!

Bazia
07-06-2014, 10:18 PM
the boxing fear isnt irrational at all

on the classic prog servers about 2 weeks after launch one guy would box 8 toons and clear hate by himself effectively blocking all planar loot from the server guilds

and that was paid subscriptions can only imagine what would happen here with current software no sub fee and the eq geniuses around

Ryndar
07-06-2014, 10:48 PM
the boxing fear isnt irrational at all

on the classic prog servers about 2 weeks after launch one guy would box 8 toons and clear hate by himself effectively blocking all planar loot from the server guilds

and that was paid subscriptions can only imagine what would happen here with current software no sub fee and the eq geniuses around

I locked down hate with just a druid on progression servers pre-kunark. Live hate and p99 hate are two entirely different things.

webrunner5
07-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Nilbog and Rogean are NEVER ever going to allow boxing on here so get over it. If you can not find a group on here most of the time you need to give up playing EQ. Start a class that can solo. Problem solved if you can't find a group. You are allowed to have more than one toon on here. Jump over to Red at times and play there. You might not find a group but someone will try and kill your ass so you can try and kill their ass back. Sounds like you need to play on live or WoW. :(

Troxx
07-07-2014, 12:43 AM
No to boxing.

Sorry, even 2 boxing.

Boxing is a catch 22. In EQ live as computers got better and this game got older, it was a convenience to be able to box "X" class that was in high demand but low supply ... the rate limiter for grouping. Unfortunately, the impact of boxing on a server or population is a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom in my opinion. Even with 2 boxing, and for those classes that are needed ... you end up slowly killing the community. If everyone is 2 boxing, people will prefer to 2 box - especially those classes that have more downtime. Each "box" that exists takes up a spot for a real player.

I've seen what boxing does to an eq server over and over again. The owners of this EMU were wise to not only make it against the rules, but also to police it.

As convenient as a box might be, I'd rather have a vibrant community of mains/alts that rely on others to get things done.

So no ... no thanks.

Kudos for the police of this server for enforcing it.

Swish
07-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Nilbog says no.

If you don't like that, start your own boxing server or try any of the other EQ Emu servers, plenty to choose from :p

Brynnag
07-07-2014, 02:54 PM
just posting to make thread die. its a power i have, and i use it on threads im tired of seeing bumped.

sox7d
07-07-2014, 04:23 PM

"Better off" is a pretty bold assertion in an open world game. A twinked out lvl 20 and a naked lvl 20 are both gonna get group exp at the same rate, they just won't be able to solo...which is moot in the core of this debate anyways.

Swish
07-07-2014, 04:38 PM
just posting to make thread die. its a power i have, and i use it on threads im tired of seeing bumped.

Inspired the AON/COF thread bump, thanks Brynnag <3

Frieza_Prexus
07-07-2014, 05:19 PM
MULTI-BOX

http://i.imgur.com/OHfjwhI.jpg

eqgmrdbz
07-07-2014, 08:03 PM
I have no problem with current rules. That being said, i would really like some shared bank slots, so i dont have to worry about losing my stuff.

TaZeR
07-09-2014, 02:41 AM
Nilbog and Rogean are NEVER ever going to allow boxing on here so get over it. If you can not find a group on here most of the time you need to give up playing EQ. Start a class that can solo. Problem solved if you can't find a group. You are allowed to have more than one toon on here. Jump over to Red at times and play there. You might not find a group but someone will try and kill your ass so you can try and kill their ass back. Sounds like you need to play on live or WoW. :(

Why are you saying you need to play WoW like it's some kind of offensive or negative thing? World of Warcraft is an amazing game, arguably as good or better than EQ, p99 or live.

iruinedyourday
07-09-2014, 03:22 AM
Why are you saying you need to play WoW like it's some kind of offensive or negative thing? World of Warcraft is an amazing game, arguably as good or better than EQ, p99 or live.

It's time to take your blasphemy into the next realm!

swoot
07-09-2014, 03:44 AM
i dont like playing certain videogames because i cant cheat, /wrists

Ikonoclastia
07-09-2014, 04:56 AM
EQ is a hobby, WoW is a game. They're very distinct from each other imo - like EQ is computer gamings equivalent of Chess and WoW is Snakes and Ladders in comparison.

Only more difficult game I have played vs EQ would be EVE Online but even that went mainstream easy with being able to buy Isk and characters legally with a CC.

drktmplr12
07-09-2014, 01:19 PM
like EQ is computer gamings equivalent of Chess and WoW is Snakes and Ladders in comparison.

?????

Taminy
07-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Boxing was classic - and I don't think 2 boxing would really hurt the server in any significant way. Biggest casualties would be res, port, and PL for money. There are few high end camps that 2 60s can do safely but 1 60 cannot. Raiding again would just be the same old monkeys they'd just be on 2 toons instead of 1.

That said obviously the devs have spoken.

Would be nice if we were allowed boxing for transfers though! I think that is stupidly punitive. /em hides from the ban hammer.

Glenzig
07-09-2014, 01:58 PM
?????

Get a ladder,find a snake pit, and have a good ol' time.
The trick is to make sure you put a little oil on the rungs first in order to up your immersion level a bit.

TaZeR
07-10-2014, 06:42 AM
EQ is a hobby, WoW is a game. They're very distinct from each other imo - like EQ is computer gamings equivalent of Chess and WoW is Snakes and Ladders in comparison.

Only more difficult game I have played vs EQ would be EVE Online but even that went mainstream easy with being able to buy Isk and characters legally with a CC.

I'm not so sure about that, I wouldn't equate any MMO to Chess since lets be honest here all MMO's really are is whoever puts the most time in is better. The grind is much harder in EQ and takes more planning because of that. The raid instances and dungeons in WoW by comparison are harder and more complex.

myriverse
07-10-2014, 07:13 AM
I'm not so sure about that, I wouldn't equate any MMO to Chess since lets be honest here all MMO's really are is whoever puts the most time in is better. The grind is much harder in EQ and takes more planning because of that. The raid instances and dungeons in WoW by comparison are harder and more complex.
Exactly.

Stop this fucking lie that even classic EQ had a shred of difficulty. It was a game that even non-gamers loved because of its ease.

Winobot
07-10-2014, 08:14 AM
It's clear most of you never played in high end guilds on live. It's easy in hindsight because you know the encounters, but just imagine not knowing the encounters and there being no info to use.

Daldaen
07-10-2014, 08:26 AM
Eh... The encounters are pretty simple on this server.

Belly Caster - Yes/No
Slowable - Yes/No
Rampage - Yes/No
Enrage - Yes/No
AOE - Yes/No
Avoid AOE by Walling - Yes/No

Answer those questions on run #1 and then hope your clerics have the mana to last through number 2.

Live EQ raiding is way more annoying to figure out events. The final one in VoA was a total bitch. You spend 90-120 minutes doing the whole encounter, and you get to the last part and due to no script / explanation / logic, you can fuck up the whole thing by killing the mobs in the wrong order. That was a fun waste of a night.

fadetree
07-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Well, while I wouldn't compare classic raiding to chess, anytime you get a large group of people together you're going to have some difficulty just keeping all the cats herded and the idiots pointed in the right direction. With a group of seasoned raiders though, its pretty easy.
Velious got a little harder, if I recall, with some adds and things that you needed to handle and react to. Still not super hard but not ridiculously easy either. 'Hard' is always difficult to quantify, anyways. Knowing a big list of requirements like mob kill order, etc., is hard at first but stops being hard the second its written down and memorized. A long encounter always raises the probability of someone screwing up at some point, but a lot of people don't seem to think that counts as 'hard'.

Destron
07-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Chutes and Ladders, that's what he meant.

Thulack
07-10-2014, 11:03 AM

Gameplay skill is not just based on how long you have been playing the game. i'm /cringing just using this as a example but if your were playing on Red having quick reflexes and good eye hand coordination will give you a leg up over someone thats slow to respond.

Thulack
07-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Eh... The encounters are pretty simple on this server.

Belly Caster - Yes/No
Slowable - Yes/No
Rampage - Yes/No
Enrage - Yes/No
AOE - Yes/No
Avoid AOE by Walling - Yes/No

Answer those questions on run #1 and then hope your clerics have the mana to last through number 2.

Live EQ raiding is way more annoying to figure out events. The final one in VoA was a total bitch. You spend 90-120 minutes doing the whole encounter, and you get to the last part and due to no script / explanation / logic, you can fuck up the whole thing by killing the mobs in the wrong order. That was a fun waste of a night.

Raiding on live is 1000x more fun then raiding here and actually takes some skill and comprehension to understand.

myriverse
07-10-2014, 11:30 AM
It's clear most of you never played in high end guilds on live. It's easy in hindsight because you know the encounters, but just imagine not knowing the encounters and there being no info to use.
That's the point: 99% of the classic players were never part of any high end guilds. High end = pointless.

Whirled
07-10-2014, 11:41 AM
That's the point: 99% of the classic players were never part of any high end guilds. High end = pointless.

This dude speaks truth. +1

TaZeR
07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Gameplay skill is not just based on how long you have been playing the game. i'm /cringing just using this as a example but if your were playing on Red having quick reflexes and good eye hand coordination will give you a leg up over someone thats slow to respond.

What I am saying is MMO's arn't skill based games a genius and a down syndrome 12 year old kid have the same chance. The reflexes and hand eye coordination is mostly related to the player being used to the game, it's environment, the UI etc.. You get better by leveling up, collecting gear, familiarizing yourself with the mechanics. Its not really any kind of special skill you hone to get better over time, it's just getting to know the game mechanics, areas, mobs etc...

iruinedyourday
07-10-2014, 02:30 PM
ahh the age old skill vs MMO debate..

you know what a real skill is? Widdlin'

In my day it took a man years to learn to widdle, could make him self a pretty cool giant cigar smokn' indian if he kept at it. yep.

http://static.libsyn.com/p/assets/0/6/1/c/061cea883225558f/the-hunt.jpg

TaZeR
07-10-2014, 02:47 PM
ahh the age old skill vs MMO debate..

you know what a real skill is? Widdlin'

In my day it took a man years to learn to widdle, could make him self a pretty cool giant cigar smokn' indian if he kept at it. yep.

Well I know its true because I have no skill I suck at all games except MMO's or RPG's like Diablo, I'm really stupid in real life too lol.

I think its even an advantage to be stupid because you don't have any smart thoughts bothering you while you grind all day and night.

Brut
07-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Boxings fun on servers where the server/gameplay is built around it, ie. THF, EZserver, most every random prog solo server.

P99 only outcome is more reclusive farmers who with boxing have no need whatsoever to interact with other players.

tanknspank
07-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Yes to boxing, limited to 2-3/ip (so you can box OR play with a spouse/roomie, not both). This allows limited boxing, removes the need for an IP exemption process, can be enforced with the same IP filter and prevents the "I'll 6/12/18 box content on my own"

I don't think $15/mo was ever a limitation (back in 1999 it amounted to a couple lunches at the cafeteria, now it's about 4 cups of coffee or the gas a day's commute), but if people feel that made the difference would it be possible to charge for IP exemptions / IP exemption processing (not game access / accounts)?

The entire point of the whole genre was to bring like minded people together in one place to enjoy a specific form of entertainment.
Except people often aren't available in a suitable proportion. Being able to wildcard a spot in a group improved the experience for the other 5 that were brought together.

There is a reason why p99 has been successful. No boxing is a pretty big part of that. Don't buy it? Look at the population of the other emu servers.
Do any other emu servers provide a faithful replication of classic EQ capped to RoK/SoV? P99's success has more to do with the classic experience (box or no). SoE's official progression servers were pretty populated for the first 2-3 xpacs despite the very un-classic classic experience and the multiboxing. And look how many ask for a new progression / classic server on the official forums. It's not about boxing, it's about the classic gameplay (xp loss, non-instanced, no PoK, no guild hall)

Boxing is a catch 22. In EQ live as computers got better and this game got older, it was a convenience to be able to box "X" class that was in high demand but low supply ... the rate limiter for grouping. Unfortunately, the impact of boxing on a server or population is a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom in my opinion. Even with 2 boxing, and for those classes that are needed ... you end up slowly killing the community. If everyone is 2 boxing, people will prefer to 2 box - especially those classes that have more downtime. Each "box" that exists takes up a spot for a real player.
I disagree. People who like to play solo (box or not) will like to play solo. There's plenty of ways to do that. People who like to group will like to group, whether they can box or not.

I was an avid boxer on live and started in classic, back when I was doing it with 2 computers running EQ in full screen with the default 1999 UI (hadn't heard of the alternate mode toggle yet). But for me the group gameplay was what made EQ fun and I always preferred to group with people than duo my boxes. Even when I eventually had 5 accounts I still preferred to get as many actual people in the group for chatter, company and better reaction times and only use the alt accounts to supplant what we couldn't fill.

I've seen what boxing does to an eq server over and over again.
You've seen what boxing + all the other changes that happened do to a server. Boxing existed in actual classic and I would say the community was just great for the first couple years that correspond to P99 content.

This isn't harder than finding who goes beyond 1. If anything it's easier because you automatically can discount the first box.

Also, the more you go beyond 1 character the harder it is to multibox them and the more obvious it is. You either need to introduce key duplication (extremely obvious), botting (If someone is risking a ban to bot, do you think they're afraid of a ban for boxing?) or you'll suffer very slow response times that makes it easier to spot/test for GMs.

Destron
07-10-2014, 04:28 PM
No means no.

Glenzig
07-10-2014, 10:03 PM
I have this weird feeling that someone is going to get banned tonight.

iruinedyourday
07-10-2014, 10:06 PM
dude for the love of god can someone please get banned tonight.

Messianic
07-10-2014, 11:54 PM
18-boxing.... hmmm

I really think you have to have some kind of mental problem to actually be able to do that

myriverse
07-11-2014, 07:00 AM
You've seen what boxing + all the other changes that happened do to a server. Boxing existed in actual classic and I would say the community was just great for the first couple years that correspond to P99 content.
No. The reason the community remained "just great" is because only, maybe, 3-4 out of 1000 were doing it.

Whirled
07-11-2014, 08:45 AM

This the prequel to Office Space? ^ They talking about a case of the Mondays.

http://www.bullshitjob.com/office_img_wav/LumberghOfficeSpace.swf

http://www.funlinks.com/bill-lumbergh-soundboard.html

fastboy21
07-11-2014, 09:00 AM
I locked down hate with just a druid on progression servers pre-kunark. Live hate and p99 hate are two entirely different things.

bull shit. not even going to go further than this. i mean, did you forget that many of us here actually played on both progression servers and would have remembered someone doing that? :confused:

tanknspank
07-11-2014, 12:56 PM
No. The reason the community remained "just great" is because only, maybe, 3-4 out of 1000 were doing it.
I assure you more than that did it regularly and a whole lot more had the capability to do it when needed. My guild alone had a couple of loners who 2 boxed guards or whatever. One of our tanks had a cleric he'd trot out to keep the SolB/LGuk group alive in the late hours of the night when actual healers dried up. A few people had dru/wiz they'd bring out when Naggy/Vox popped and we had to port 25ish people asap to get them before other guilds.

Granted we were a hardcore guild, but we probably had about 15 people with 2nd accounts and the ability to box them. I'm sure guilds #2 and #3 on the server had at least some, and a handful of the non-uberguild players as well. And this was late '99/early '00, before Kunark was out.

Winobot
07-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Yea, def more. He seems to quote spurious statistics quite often.

As much as I love boxing, and my knee jerk reaction to some of the exclusivity that exists at the lower levels is just to box my druid, I think boxing would definitely hurt the lower level camps.

myriverse
07-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I assure you more than that did it regularly and a whole lot more had the capability to do it when needed. My guild alone had a couple of loners who 2 boxed guards or whatever. One of our tanks had a cleric he'd trot out to keep the SolB/LGuk group alive in the late hours of the night when actual healers dried up. A few people had dru/wiz they'd bring out when Naggy/Vox popped and we had to port 25ish people asap to get them before other guilds.

Granted we were a hardcore guild, but we probably had about 15 people with 2nd accounts and the ability to box them. I'm sure guilds #2 and #3 on the server had at least some, and a handful of the non-uberguild players as well. And this was late '99/early '00, before Kunark was out.
For every one of them, there were many, many others who didn't. Point is that boxers were an extremely small percentage of players, circa 2000. That's the only reason it didn't affect the community too bad. Even allowing rampant 2-boxing would be disaster for this server.

Yea, def more. He seems to quote spurious statistics quite often.
I never quote spurious statistics and that was not a quote.