Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Some thoughts(multiboxing)

I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but I've been discussing the subject with some friends who were thinking about trying Project99. The one thing that's holding them back is the no multiboxing rule.

Yes, I know how much damage one person boxing a full group of six characters could do. Locking down spawns/camps/exp and hoarding everything to one player's characters was an extreme detriment. However, boxing ONE extra character so you controlled two at once was a huge boon to myself, friends and even strangers. I'll explain:

Since a friend and I played monks from 1999-2003, we couldn't do a whole lot of grouping with just duoing at higher levels, we needed healing and support, and sometimes a tank. I started boxing another friend's cleric so we could get a group off the ground, and due to it's effectiveness, we started doing it daily. Starting with us, we'd grab random players that were LFG nearby, and start a group quickly and be off and having fun while skipping the whole "sitting around LFG with nothing to do" that I think most players hate. I'd drop the box cleric if a real one wanted in, which was fine since we had an established group going already. The point is that thanks to boxing, we greatly enhanced our time spent in game, while benefiting other people and making new friends as we went. It worked perfectly.

We were very disappointed to see that Project99 doesn't allow boxing of any type, but I completely understand the reasoning due to the larger multiboxing groups monopolizing content. Sadly, the side effect is that it also destroys the way some people multiboxed with only one extra character just to help form up groups. Does anyone else feel the same or have any similar experiences?
Old 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Planar Protector

Boxing would be fun, even if limited to 2.

Would be nice to not have to bother other people to rez myself if I was dumb.

But something you will find very quickly, is people here have an irrational fear against boxing. They think it will crush everything about this server, blah blah blah. When a good 50%+ of zones are empty at most times. The prime-time zones like Sebilis and Karnors and Overthere would surely be packed all day every day. But boxing would force people into out of the way zones to exp like Splitpaw and Cazic Thule.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Planar Protector

Project 1999 aside, you can pick ANY other EQ Emu server and enjoy multiboxing.

Try THF (The Hidden Forest), people regularly 12 box on there - you'll love it.

Or get an IP exemption, but don't expect to keep it if you're going to log one in to buff the other etc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But something you will find very quickly, is people here have an irrational fear against boxing.
Did you ever play on Kegz server?
Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Fire Giant

Allowing even 2 boxing would make it very difficult/time wasting for GMs to check people who might go beyond 2. It would also result in 9 people playing 18 characters and locking down a lot of raid content.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Allowing even 2 boxing would make it very difficult/time wasting for GMs to check people who might go beyond 2. It would also result in 9 people playing 18 characters and locking down a lot of raid content.
Since Raid content is left up for DAYS at a time and any old-PUG is free to raid Dracoliche or Maestro whenever they want... PAUSE.... NOT.

5 Years later, people still actively track and batphone the shittiest mobs like Maestro. Boxing will not change the raid landscape much since there are already enough neckbeards willing to answer the call at 3AM on a weekday to kill Maestro.

It will just shift from 20 neckbeards logging in 20 characters to 15 neckbeards logging in 30 characters.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Did you play on Kegz server tho Daldaen? I'm guessing not.

People abused the boxing limit from the opening night.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but I've been discussing the subject with some friends who were thinking about trying Project99. The one thing that's holding them back is the no multiboxing rule.

Yes, I know how much damage one person boxing a full group of six characters could do. Locking down spawns/camps/exp and hoarding everything to one player's characters was an extreme detriment. However, boxing ONE extra character so you controlled two at once was a huge boon to myself, friends and even strangers. I'll explain:

Since a friend and I played monks from 1999-2003, we couldn't do a whole lot of grouping with just duoing at higher levels, we needed healing and support, and sometimes a tank. I started boxing another friend's cleric so we could get a group off the ground, and due to it's effectiveness, we started doing it daily. Starting with us, we'd grab random players that were LFG nearby, and start a group quickly and be off and having fun while skipping the whole "sitting around LFG with nothing to do" that I think most players hate. I'd drop the box cleric if a real one wanted in, which was fine since we had an established group going already. The point is that thanks to boxing, we greatly enhanced our time spent in game, while benefiting other people and making new friends as we went. It worked perfectly.

We were very disappointed to see that Project99 doesn't allow boxing of any type, but I completely understand the reasoning due to the larger multiboxing groups monopolizing content. Sadly, the side effect is that it also destroys the way some people multiboxed with only one extra character just to help form up groups. Does anyone else feel the same or have any similar experiences?
Ban this idiot.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Planar Protector

Lol @ kegz
Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

People abuse every loophole they can. It is a lot easier to catch someone 4 boxing than someone 2 boxing.

But no I didn't play on whatever a Kegz is.
Closed Thread