PDA

View Full Version : Sontalak

Method
11-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Target: Sontalak

Sontalak like most of the other raid mobs seems to be a little low on his DPS output, I did notice with Sontalak tho that he is currently not procing his 702 dd on the MT, couple post's below on sont procing a DD on the MT.

He also has a couple AE dispell procs, and a nasty DD one.
Sont is a kill him before he kills you fight basically. We had a bit of a time learning him. We kill him every time now by just going max offensive as soon as MT has a bit of aggro. All melee offensive discs, casters (including shamans and druids) nuke. His procs are totally random too so if he procs that DD on the MT 5 times in a row you might lose even if its all perfectly done otherwise.

Posted @ Mon, Aug 12th 5:10 PM 2002 Score: Decent[2.92]
melee is pretty weak, but flurries (hit me under 300)
procs 702 dd when he hits you...and procs a LOT

Byrjun
11-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Shouldn't be MR immune until Luclin. (Edit: it's currently not "MR immune" but the MR is too high to land slow. Slow and other 0 mod MR spells should land)

pretty sure he's not slowable anymore, used to be but after shaman slow got disease counters (so sont couldn't dispel it) they changed him.

Hitbox is too small.

Hokushin
11-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Hitbox is too small.

http://youtu.be/9opZFThy95w

Melees are hitting him in the video from about 3x further than they can on p99.

Sontalak currently has Draco hitbox

Method
12-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Found Sontalaks missing proc Char: Decrease Hitpoints by 660 (L52) to 702 (L57)

nilbog
12-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Looks like he is currently set to proc Molten Breath at 5% chance. Need more discussion on this.

Method
12-01-2014, 02:41 PM
According to http://web.archive.org/web/20040606173351/http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=6466 at the bottom of the page,
people mention him having the proc molten breath as well as the char proc 702dd. He absolutely destroyed tanks on live and it was a quick fight to see if the raid did enough dps. The way he is now the tank doesn't take much damage at all

Byrjun
12-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Looks like he is currently set to proc Molten Breath at 5% chance. Need more discussion on this.

Any word on increasing hitbox? This is significant because of the targeted AE... the tiny hitbox changes the dynamic of the fight.

Also with Sontalak being slowable, I forgot to link the source of the quote I posted above.

http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthread.php?425-need-help-with-sontalak-strategy

pretty sure he's not slowable anymore, used to be but after shaman slow got disease counters (so sont couldn't dispel it) they changed him. As for hiding from the ae, not really only way is to stay out of range until you are ready to do damage, WW being an outdoor zone means all that lovely terrain won't hide you for jack from his ae.

http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10935

A thing that might help is that he is slowable. However, he often dispells himself so you need to recast slow often, however, that might be enough change in damage to make him end up dying

So when the main tank is right under sont's nuts, it dispells sontalak also. malo, tash, slow, whatever ;p

Some interesting stuff from 2003:

http://nyxxsopenraids.yuku.com/topic/1906/Sontalak-Observation

Sontalak seemed to stop casting his AE whenever he was slowed or dotted. I'm assuming he was instead curing himself. If this is the case, a good strategy might be to dot the hell out of him and stop his AE altogether.

He cures more than just slow. When I hit him with Blood of Saryrn(65 Poison DoT), the AE seemed to stop for 2 or 3 ticks, because he had to cast his cure 2 or 3 times to get rid of it. If Druids, Shaman, Necro all stacked dots on him, we might be able to stop his AE altogether. My only concern is that it might have been lag that made me think he wasn't casting AE while dotted.

Byrjun
12-01-2014, 03:15 PM
June 5th 2002:

This dragon has been upgraded and is rediculously hard to take down. Most guilds on Povar dont even attempt him because of his 'risk verses reward' loot drops (ae. Triton, Rising Ascension, Inverse Logic, etc.) He is now unslowable, fire based aoe 650dd with a dispel of 2 slots - with this who cares what his melee is at this point, something like 750 max melee. Agro control on MT is nearly impossible.

March 27th 2002:

He's not slowable now. Verant decided he was too easy since he wasnt dispelling slow anymore and made him immune.

This refers to the patch that added disease counters to slow spells. Slow couldn't be dispelled anymore by Sontalak's self-dispel, so they made him MR immune. Later they added Cure Disease to his self-dispel and made him slowable again.

To add to that, he also dispells an insane amount. I was dispelled about 20 times throught the battle. He's harder than any of the NToV dragons now. *shivver*

Reply to the above quote, showing that he was changed around this period. Beholder Dispel frequency increased?

July 15th 2001:

Slow does land on him, but he will dispell it. tricky little guy. really have to just zergling him and hope for low proc rate, -dex poison work too.

July 7th 2001:

Hiya, just wanted to let you know that as of the last patch, you can no longer invis past him... i went by him before with invis and he was scowling, but not since patch.

Claims that he would "scowl" but not aggro with invis, but was changed to correctly see invis.

June 28th 2001:

i being KOS to claws of veeshan faction noticed him scowling at me through my invis.. yet being the determined nome that i am i decided it was worth giving a shot at running underneath him to get to ToV entrance... i asked for a /good luck from guild and was on my way, i ran right underneath the silly beast and it never once even looked at me.... i even had time to dance with him once i got to the other side...

Also claiming he would scowl through invis but wouldn't aggro.

Method
12-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Here is another post on Sontalak mentioning a proc DD, Sontalak in his current form on beta is a weak version of the badass he should be.

Old 03-11-2002, 03:00 PM #10
Splaktar

Splaktar
Send a message via ICQ to Splaktar Send a message via AIM to Splaktar
The way we do it is similar to the DL style above. We don't really do any debuffing. The main tank needs to have 3-4 instant click buffs up and in first slots. Sont's melee is quite weak, but his procs for 700 DD and constant dispells can hurt. Just have all the clerics, druids, and shaman chain heal the MT with their best heals (DL type). MT gets aggro, melee move in and disc right away more or less. Melee should all have 1-2 instant click buffs on and we never heal anyone but the M

Lazie
12-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Killed Sontalak tonight. Some notes about concerns in this thread.

-His Hitbox seems fixed it is huge now.

-His Molten breath went off quite a bit resisted most of them pretty consistently. A few partials and one max hit me.

-He isn't slowable period right now. Needs to be flagged slowable.

-I don't recall a 700 DD on Sontalak. His AE is a proc for 650 max. Which seems to be working properly.Went off twice in 4 seconds during the kill at least once.

[Tue Dec 02 21:54:28 2014] Your body combusts as the lava hits you. You have taken 650 points of damage.
[Tue Dec 02 21:54:32 2014] You resist the Molten Breath spell!

I think they were calling his AE a DD for some reason.

Ele
12-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Interesting pages from France and Japan.

http://jahislove.pagesperso-orange.fr/WW%20dragons.htm

http://giline.versus.jp/shiden/monster/ww02.htm

Not classic source, but identifies sont's casts, but doesn't include procs or char.
http://hungos2cp.orgfree.com/huntww.html

Method
12-04-2014, 03:07 AM
Interesting pages from France and Japan.

http://jahislove.pagesperso-orange.fr/WW%20dragons.htm

http://giline.versus.jp/shiden/monster/ww02.htm

Not classic source, but identifies sont's casts, but doesn't include procs or char.
http://hungos2cp.orgfree.com/huntww.html

Some good info on those links~ Interesting page here from velious era listing all the WW dragons and more confirmation on sontalak having a proc and a AE in the Velious era.

Sontalak
Approximate Level = 70
AE - Unknown
He has a 700 damage fire based proc and does AE fear. His dispel is proximity based, if you are very close to him you get 4 buffs at a time dispelled. If you are at max melee range you only get one buff dispelled at a time. His fear is fairly easy to resist, best to go all out on fire resist and get magic resist over 120 or so. His fire AE is no stronger than other WW dragons AE, about 400 damage, but can be partially resisted easily.

First thing to remember, this info is from when Velious was the newest expansion. Some things may have changed a bit. I haven't led a dragon raid in WW for a long time, at least 2 years. But most should be the same.

Amcilla
Approximate Level = 55
AE - Cold and Dispel
Tips - Does not gate, found roaming near Pantrilla spawn and also through the Temple of Veeshan canyon. Possibly a PH for Rak Sapara or Gangel, as he was found on the same roaming path as them. Can drop dragon leg breeches.

Atpaev
Approximate Level = 53
AE - Cold and Dispel
Atpaev is a static found to the northwest of the Temple of Veeshan canyon. It does not gate, and is pretty easy. Atpaev can drop dragonskin masks.

Ayillish
Approximate Level = 56
AE - Cold and Dispel
Static spawn next to Derasinal in the Temple of Veeshan canyon. Does not gate. Fairly strong AE effect. One of the easiest dragons that drops a +6 talisman. Ayillish can also drop dragonhide bracers, great for shamans and clerics.

Bratavar
Approximate Level = 54
AE - Cold and Dispel.
Is a static spawn to the southwest of Glati�s spawn. Does not gate. He has dropped Cannibalize IV and a Matchless Dragonwing Mantle.

Bufa
Approximate Level = 54
AE - Cold and Dispel
Tips - Does not gate, is a roamer to the south of Glati�s spawn. Max hit is 320, which makes Bufa one of the hardest hitting dragons in zone, even higher than Harla Dar. However, he is easy to slow, and his AE isn�t very strong, so he is pretty easy.

Cargalia
Approximate Level = 54
AE = Cold and Dispel
One of the most annoying dragons in zone. Cargalia roams all over the place including near the zone to Sirens Grotto. Same roaming path as Von it seems. Cargalia is annoying because of her flux which can 10k you if you don�t have levitate up. Even with lev her flux still does 1200 damage. To top it off, Cargalia gates when low, and drops crappy loot. Best to avoid this one.

Crial
Approximate Level = 56
AE - Fire and Dispel
Does not gate, was found roaming near Jen Sapara�s spawn. Pretty rare spawn, only seen him up twice. Drops dragonhorn bracers.

Del Sapara
Approximate Level = 60
AE = Cold
Does not gate or CH. Has no mana to sieve. Procs chaotic weightlessness like all the other Sapara�s. Was found roaming on the southeast side of the Temple of Veeshan canyon.

Derasinal
Approximate Level = 58
AE - Fire, Disease and Dispel
His disease is easy to resist, never landed it on me, so I don�t know what it does. His fire AE is pretty strong, and he has a lot of hp. He is a cleric, so he gates and CH�s. Best to fight him on his bind spot, which is to the east of the Temple of Veeshan in the canyon. He drops a +6 talisman. Watch out for Rak Sapara roaming near Derasinal, though. He drops a +6 talisman and dragonhorn bracers.

Draazak
Approximate Level = 58
AE - Fire and Dispel
This one is a static between Sontalak and Derasinal in the Temple of Veeshan canyon. Draazak is a cleric, so he CH�s and likely gates, but we fought on his spawn so he didn�t. He has quite a few HP, took us a bit to kill, but he�s not very hard. A bit tougher than Derasinal I think. Has dropped the first part of Ven Pekir�s Tome.

Entariz
Approximate Level = 56-57
AE - Cold and Dispel
Entariz is a static spawn between Sontalak and Ionat in the Temple of Veeshan canyon. His AE is extremely hard to resist. I had near 200 cold resist, and he still did 400 damage on both of his AE�s, which was his max damage. Can drop dragonskin masks.

Esorpa of the Ring
Approximate Level = 55
AE - Silence
We didn�t know this one was going to silence us, but we still beat it on the first try. First time we fought Esorpa, it was very easy. Second time, it kept gating on us and wiped us. We now know her bind though. It�s right in front of the wyvern cave on the map at loc 2500, -3000. Esorpa is the only dragon in zone on RingofScale faction.

Gafala
Approximate Level = 53
AE - Fire and Dispel
Gafala is a static spawn on the northwest coast, does not gate. Nothing special about Gafala, one of the weaker dragons in the zone. Can drop dragonskin masks.

Gangel
Approximate Level = 55
AE - Fire and Dispel
Found roaming through the Temple of Veeshan canyon near Ayillish spawn. He had SoW, though I�m not sure if he cast it on himself, or maybe Glati buffed him. Anyway, he hauled ass up the cliff when he got low. Not a very hard dragon, especially for where he was found.

Glati
Approximate Level = 54
AE - Fire and Dispel
He gates to the northeast corner of the zone, best to fight him on or near his spawn. He�s also a shaman and runs at SoW speed. His bind spot is just to the east of Vraptin�s spawn. Max hit - 217. Harla Dar roams very near to Glati and Vraptin. His bind spot is normally where we first setup camp for Western Wastes raids.

Harla Dar
Approximate Level = 63
AE - Fear
Harla is an enchanter, and casts single target mesmerize, slow and charm, and also does grav flux. Harla gates, bind spot is unknown for now. Roams very near to Vraptin and Glati spots, and has also been seen to the southeast of the Temple of Veeshan canyon. Can drop dragonhide belts. Pretty much requires Tash, Malo, and Occlusion before you can slow.

Hechaeva
Approximate Level = 53
AE - Cold and Dispel
Wuss dragon, 2 strong groups can take this one easy. It�s a static spawn along the northwest coast and does not gate. Can drop dragonspine vambraces.

Honvar
Approximate Level = 54
AE = Cold and Dispel
Found roaming through the Temple of Veeshan canyon. Does not cast at all. Looks like Severilous/Wuoshi.

Icehackle
Approximate Level = 61
AE - None
Found roaming to the southwest of Glati�s spot. Was able to slow it with just Malo and Tash, no Occlusion. Doesn�t hit very hard for his level. Dropped nothing, but I think it can drop a crappy monk only pelt, which is worn as a cloak.

Ionat
Approximate Level = 57
AE - Silence and Dispel
This one is a pain because of silence. He is a static spawn in between Karkona and Sontalak. Not sure if he gates, we�ve never fought him, yet.

Jen Sapara
Approximate Level = 61
AE - None
Jen is a cleric and does CH. She procs a 1200ish damage flux, but doesn�t do it nearly as often as Rak Sapara or Cargalia. She most likely gates, but we fought her on her spawn, so she did not gate on us. She is a stationary spawn to the west of Glati�s spawn. Can drop exquisite velium weapons and dragonskull helms.

Kar Sapara
Approximate Level = 60
AE - Cold and Dispel
Pretty similar to Karkona, but a bit tougher. His AE is pretty strong, but I don�t think he gates. Max hit - 235. Drops 6 to all stats/saves talisman. Roams to the north of the Temple of Veeshan canyon. Drops the second part of Ven Pekir�s Tome.

Karkona
Approximate Level = 57
AE - Cold and Dispel
Does gate, is a static spawn in the Temple of Veeshan canyon, to the west of Ionat. Fighting on his spawn will not aggro Ionat. Drops a +6 talisman and dragonwing mantles.

Klandicar
Approximate Level = 65
AE = Cold, Fear and Dispel
Recently buffed, Klandicar now has Dozekars AE and a lot more HP. His cold AE is unresistable, just like Dozekar, so don�t bother buffing Cold for it. He is rumored to be slowable, but you may need to use a bard with orb of tishan and journeymans walking stick stacking bug to do it. Have your bards use a drum when playing Occlusion as well, not epic.

Linbrak
Approximate Level = 53
AE = Fire and Dispel
Found roaming south of Temple of Veeshan canyon. Does not gate. Have never fought this dragon, but my hunch is he is nothing special.

Makala
Approximate Level = 51
AE = Unknown
Didn�t get a chance to kill this one, but he cons blue to a level 52, so we figure he probably doesn�t have great loot. He drops a +4 talisman and dragonhorn bracers.

Mav Sapara
Approximate Level = 60
AE = Unknown
I have no information on this dragon, but I can guess that it fluxes and probably does not gate. Any info would be appreciated.

Mazi
Approximate Level = 54
AE - Fire and Dispel
Does not gate, is a static spawn to the southwest of Glati�s bind spot. Pretty easy dragon. Can drop dragonleg breeches.

Mraaka
Approximate Level = 65
AE - Fire
Is a roamer that doesn�t gate. Big mean ass wurm. Usually requires Malo, Tash and Occlusion to all be in before you can slow him. Max hit is 280. Once he is slowed, he is quite easy. He is hard to pull, because he runs at near Jboots speed. He is said to drop exquisite velium weapons, but we have yet to see it. Mraaka also see�s invis.

Myga
Approximate Level = 55
AE = Unknown
Myga is a rare spawn dragon. It drops an item needed for the dragonsbane wizard spell quest. There are lots of rumors on how to spawn it, but the consensus is that Myga is a roamer, so killing non roamer dragons will not spawn Myga. Some people have mentioned the Myga PH roams through the Temple of Veeshan canyon. This rules out most if not all of the Sapara�s as a PH. Possible PH�s may include: Amcilla, Nintal, Yal, Bufa Makala, Neordla, and likely a few others.

Neordla
Approximate Level = 57
AE - Fire and Dispel
Does not gate, was found roaming to the south of Glati�s bind spot. He is fairly tough, but no problem for 3 well equipped groups. Can drop dragonspine vambraces.

Nintal
Approximate Level = 57
AE = Cold and Dispel
Nintal was found roaming across the Temple of Veeshan canyon in front of Karkona spawn. He aggrod us at a really bad time and hosed us. Two level 60 shamans were unable to slow him after Malo and Occlusion were in, not sure if Tash was in. We got him down very low, and he did not try to gate or heal. Can drop dragonwing mantles.

Nyga
Approximate Level = 55
AE = Cold and Dispel
I have no information on this dragon, other than that it is extremely rare. It was spotted before the dragonsbane quest was put in, according to some. His AE graphic looks like fire, but the message you get from his AE is Your body freezes as the frost hits you.

Onava
Approximate Level = 55
AE - Unknown
We�ve never fought this dragon, yet. It seems to only be up when we are just passing through WW, not fighting there. He has been seen roaming to the northeast of the Temple of Veeshan canyon.

Pantrilla
Approximate Level = 54
AE - Cold and Dispel
Does not gate, is a static spawn to the southwest of Glati�s bind spot. Pantrilla is a pretty easy dragon, 2 groups can handle this one pretty easily. Can drop dragonwing cloaks.

Quoza
Approximate Level = 53
AE = Unknown
Found roaming the northwest coast nest area. Only seen and killed it once, was an easy one.

Rak Sapara
Approximate Level = 58-59
AE - Unknown. This is a pic of Von�s AE
This guy has caused us a great deal of pain. He procs a flux spell that does 1236 damage and is quite hard to resist. Having levitiate or DMF on only prevents the falling damage on the flux, it does not prevent the DD portion of it. He fluxes VERY often. I was personally fluxed a second time before I landed. Others have been fluxed 3 times in a row before landing.

Sontalak
Approximate Level = 70
AE - Unknown
He has a 700 damage fire based proc and does AE fear. His dispel is proximity based, if you are very close to him you get 4 buffs at a time dispelled. If you are at max melee range you only get one buff dispelled at a time. His fear is fairly easy to resist, best to go all out on fire resist and get magic resist over 120 or so. His fire AE is no stronger than other WW dragons AE, about 400 damage, but can be partially resisted easily.

Sivar
Approximate Level = 54
AE = Fire and Dispel
Found roaming southeast of Temple of Veeshan canyon. Possibly same roaming path as Cargalia/Von. Fairly rare spawn roamer, and not very hard. Does not enrage, and does not cast at all.

Strong Horn
Approximate Level = 63
AE = Unknown
Strong Horn runs at near spirit of wolf speed and procs a nasty knockback spell very often. He is probably the most fun mob in zone to fight. I recommend you fight him in the temple of veeshan canyon, with your backs to a wall, or you will be doing a lot of running around. Can be slowed with just Malo and Tash. He drops StrongHorn�s Horn, an 18/30 1h blunt that procs knockback.

Tantor
Approximate Level = 63
AE - None
Tantor is quite a mean mammoth. He hits for around 290 max, and is extremely difficult/impossible to slow. I tried several slows on him after Tash, Malo and Occlusion were all in, no luck. Not sure if he can be snared. Can drop Tantor�s Tusk, a 50/60 2h piercer.

Travala
Approximate Level = 63
AE - None
Roams near the zone to Siren�s Grotto, and sometimes farther out. Drops a huge wing for the BFG9000 gun quest. Was able to slow it with all 3 MR debuffs in. Has a lot of hp, expect a long fight.

Tsiraka
Approximate Level = 63+
AE = None
Roaming wyvern found to the south of Glati�s bind spot. Was able to slow him with Malo, Tash and Occlusion in on first try. Was very easy after that. Dropped a ranger only 15/26 claw (piercing skill) that is no drop. Pretty nice weapon for a ranger without epics.

Uiliak
Approximate Level = 53-54
AE = Fire and Dispel
Does not gate, flux or heal. Was found roaming around the nesting area. Not a hard dragon. Has also been seen on the south side of Temple of Veeshan canyon.
Vitaela
Approximate Level = 53
AE - Cold and Dispel
Is a static to the northwest of the Temple of Veeshan canyon. Does not gate. 2 groups can handle this one easily. Vitaela can drop dragonhorn boots.

Von
Approximate Level = 57
AE - Cold and Dispel
Von big asshole. Von gates and CH�s. He didn�t get a gate off, so we don�t know where his bind is. Take at least 3 groups for Von, just to prevent him gating/CHing. Other than casting, he is not a hard dragon. Can drop dragonspine vambraces.

Vraptin
Approximate Level = 54
AE - Cold and Dispel
Vraptin is a static spawn on the northeast coast. Does not gate. He is very near Glati�s bind spot. Harla Dar roams near Vraptin�s spawn, so watch out for her. Vraptin is one of the few dragons in zone that see�s invis. Can drop dragonhide masks.

Yal
Approximate Level = 55
AE - Fire and Dispel
Found roaming across the Temple of Veeshan canyon in front of Ionat/Karkona spawns. Yal isn�t very tough for the area he is in. 2 strong groups, can take him out I think.

Yeldema
Approximate Level = 53
AE - None
Imagine Nagafen with no AE and less hp and you have Yeldema, king of the wussies. Unfortunately, he usually has no loot.

Zil Sapara
Approximate Level = 60
AE = Unknown
Possibly the rarest of the Sapara�s, I�ve never seen it, yet. It likely fluxes like most of the other Sapara�s. Possibly drops exquisite velium weapons, and likely a +6 Talisman.

Byrjun
12-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Klandicar
Approximate Level = 65
Recently buffed, Klandicar now has Dozekars AE and a lot more HP.

Oh boy. Klandicar is gonna be Faydedar status if that gets changed.

Ele
12-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Oh boy. Klandicar is gonna be Faydedar status if that gets changed.

Left out the best part of the Klandicar entry:

Klandicar
Approximate Level = 65
Recently buffed, Klandicar now has Dozekars AE and a lot more HP. His cold AE is unresistable, just like Dozekar, so don�t bother buffing Cold for it. He is rumored to be slowable, but you may need to use a bard with orb of tishan and journeymans walking stick stacking bug to do it. Have your bards use a drum when playing Occlusion as well, not epic.

Nirgon
12-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Haynar knows about bard stacking, its just the code bitch mother of all code bitches apparently

mrmop520
12-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Sontalak
Approximate Level = 70
AE - Unknown

From our testing, with majority over 200mr and a lot at max 255mr, his fear landed a lot more than what this sounds like.

Method
12-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Biggest issue with Sontalak was keeping the MT alive and keeping the clerics from gaining to much aggro from spam heals. Some more info below on Sontalak~

He also has a proc on whoever he is agroed on. Don't discount
it, it's a lot of damage.

Don't use CH. There is a line of Dragons, all from Velious, who
have what I consider to be extreme healing agro. Kland, Zland,
Sont, Harla Dar (doesn't really matter because she doesn't take
much healing) and a couple others.

Somtime in 2002 Sontalak was nerfed and should be procing a 700dd in classic Velious,

Just re-read that and saw how unhelpful it was. In answer to your actual question, I understand that the fight has been revamped several times. When we fought him: not sure how hard he hit, flurried, procced an additional 700DD, AE 650DD and dispell. Unslowable and estimated to have perhaps 100k hp. Overall: badass - by far the toughest ST key mob.

What makes Sontalak hard is that he one of his AEs (the 4 dispell/cure + nuke) is a targetted proc and he procs it A LOT. You have to kill him super fast, because you really can not keep up with it

Alunova
12-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Biggest issue with Sontalak was keeping the MT alive and keeping the clerics from gaining to much aggro from spam heals. Some more info below on Sontalak~

Somtime in 2002 Sontalak was nerfed and should be procing a 700dd in classic Velious,

Middle quote is how I remember him, he was a major PITA. there is a reason he was usually the last ST key boss killed and many guilds simply harmonied and ignored him for a long time.

Nirgon
12-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Yeah here's a question I got.. why is it harmony worked so easily on high MR npcs?

Does it ignore magic resist and just do its own /random check?

wycca
12-14-2014, 12:38 AM
Harmony is unresistable.

Also, that list of WW dragons, while neat, has some inaccuracies I can disprove via other sources, namely the dragon levels are off. There's categories of dragons of sorts that have set level ranges by the category, ie some of the dragons above showing as 55 are actually in the 51-54 category and are lvl 52, 53, 54 etc. Other than that not too bad.

lurk
12-18-2014, 01:50 AM
Definitely should proc the mage spell 'Char'. A lot.

Alunova
12-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Sontalak was listed as extremely difficult to slow and he dispelled himself when it did land. For all intents and purposes he is considered unslowable even though you can technically land it. In 2002 it seems his dispel broke and Verant made him unslowable instead.

I lowered MR slightly, changed the proc to Char and added AoE priority so he will not skip spells. Fixed, pending update.

Method
12-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Sontalak was listed as extremely difficult to slow and he dispelled himself when it did land. For all intents and purposes he is considered unslowable even though you can technically land it. In 2002 it seems his dispel broke and Verant made him unslowable instead.

I lowered MR slightly, changed the proc to Char and added AoE priority so he will not skip spells. Fixed, pending update.

Thanks Alunova! we look forward to testing him after the update, so he should now proc Char a lot and molten breath.

Byrjun
12-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Sontalak was listed as extremely difficult to slow.

Listed where?

Treats
12-20-2014, 06:50 PM

Farm status with char proc, he will be a joke.

lurk
12-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Char has no resist adjust so it seems it would be easy to resist but I doubt it with the level difference. This is an evasive fight imo.

Alunova
12-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Farm status with char proc, he will be a joke.

How does adding an additional ability make him farm status?

4 slot AoE dispell
+ 650 AoE with another single dispell (This is why some people thought it was proximity based)
+ 700 dmg single target proc
+Dragon Roar
+Dispell Self

= Stacked Dragon

Treats
01-02-2015, 03:41 PM
How does adding an additional ability make him farm status?

4 slot AoE dispell
+ 650 AoE with another single dispell (This is why some people thought it was proximity based)
+ 700 dmg single target proc
+Dragon Roar
+Dispell Self

= Stacked Dragon

He should proc Targeted AE, not single target.

Sontalak was not a "keep the tank alive and you win" fight.

To defeat Sontalak you had to kill him before his Area Damage decimated your raid force.

Your entire raid force will be able to stay alive for one minute even if they are taking the full 650 damage from each AE and he only procs that shitty Char.

Trust me, he will be an absolute joke.

Nirgon
01-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Ya never mind the rechargeable mallets on a burn fight either right

Truth be told whatever is era appropriate is best

Dragon fear is easily beaten by strong blood pots (or should be) then you just mope his ass up against a wall

Method
01-03-2015, 12:03 AM
He should proc Targeted AE, not single target.

Sontalak was not a "keep the tank alive and you win" fight.

To defeat Sontalak you had to kill him before his Area Damage decimated your raid force.

Your entire raid force will be able to stay alive for one minute even if they are taking the full 650 damage from each AE and he only procs that shitty Char.

Trust me, he will be an absolute joke.

He should proc both char and his 650 dmg AE. When i tested sonta on live the only spells that had a cast message were:

[Wed Dec 31 11:01:53 2014] Sontalak begins to cast a spell. <Beholder Dispel>
[Wed Dec 31 11:01:48 2014] Sontalak begins to cast a spell. <Dragon Roar>
[Wed Dec 31 11:01:56 2014] Sontalak begins to cast a spell. <Annul Self>

No cast message:
[Wed Dec 31 11:02:12 2014] You resist the Molten Breath spell!
[Wed Dec 31 11:02:15 2014] You resist the Char spell!

Treats
01-03-2015, 09:16 PM
He should proc both char and his 650 dmg AE. When i tested sonta on live the only spells that had a cast message were:

[Wed Dec 31 11:01:53 2014] Sontalak begins to cast a spell. <Beholder Dispel>
[Wed Dec 31 11:01:48 2014] Sontalak begins to cast a spell. <Dragon Roar>
[Wed Dec 31 11:01:56 2014] Sontalak begins to cast a spell. <Annul Self>

No cast message:
[Wed Dec 31 11:02:12 2014] You resist the Molten Breath spell!
[Wed Dec 31 11:02:15 2014] You resist the Char spell!

Sontalak was changed a bunch before Planes of Power.

He was toned down and made easier multiple times.

Theres a reason why hardly anyone killed him in the Velious era and it wasn't because of a Char proc.

Method
03-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Found some more info today on Sontalak on the safehouse forums from 2001-02

We tested the updated version of sontalak and he is working much better then the old version was, char is procing correctly and often like it should but something is still missing. Only issue i found was his Molten breath AE proc has a 12 second reuse timer. Where it shouldn't have a reuse timer at all. It can proc twice in one second just like char or you can go half the fight and get very lucky without it procing once.

Source:http://web.archive.org/web/20030509175716/http://pub146.ezboard.com/fthesafehousethebackroomsecretsspoilers.showMessag eRange?topicID=12325.topic&start=21&stop=40

Fast heals in the early seconds of the battles really piss off Sontalak and with his triple 650ish hits and his 700 dd proc, 650 ae proc, and dispell. A cleric/healer who gets aggro fast won't live more then a couple seconds.

Only thing that kills people is his 700 dd proc and his 650 proc AE. Which both go often very often. Although, if you have a brave Shaman, you could try chain crippling him to keep his proc rate as low as possible. His 2 Procs are exactly like Venril Sathir's proc. They won't go off if he's not actually hitting you.

And a newer post about Sontalak being a badass
Sont is one of those unique mobs that remains nearly as tough as he was through several expansions, and is one of the few where the difference between life and death is often dependant on luck rather than skill (his proc luck to be specific).

Treats
03-23-2015, 01:24 PM
I could have swore both of Sontalak's procs were AE's but maybe Molten Breath was just so frequent it seemed like it.

Proc chance probably needs to be increased if it's still at 5%

Flurry 25% and Atk Delay 1500ms from Torven's data

Skydash
03-23-2015, 07:21 PM
EQlizer - Sontalak (https://web.archive.org/web/20010617203916/http://gameznet.com/eq/wwdragons/sontalek.html)

Max Melee: 425 damage
AE Fire 650 max dmg
AE Dispel

Here is another blip from Everlore (https://web.archive.org/web/20010710190128/http://everlore.com/bestiary/beastdetails.asp?mode=show&BID=359103): On: 5/5/2001 12:18:53 AM

"Okay, this guy is by no means easy, we tried him tonight, about 73 level 55 - 60's (mostly 60)
and he just shredded through all of us, he hits for about 600 as well as a proc on every hit that seems to be a lure based
fire spell for 650 dmg, sorta like conflaguration. Either way, he is level 74, he hits hard, and as with all dragons
ae dispells. We got him down to 40% health before we all were dead. oh well we will try again

Edy on Ayonae Ro"

Method
03-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Log from Al'Kabor showing Sontalak procing Molten breath x2 in a 2-3 second period. Currently on beta molten breath has a 12 second reuse timer which is incorrect.

[Thu Nov 07 23:16:44 2013] You resist the Molten Breath spell!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:47 2013] Your body combusts as the lava hits you. You have taken 650 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:53 2013] You resist the Molten Breath spell!

[Thu Nov 07 23:16:43 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but misses!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:43 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 425 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:43 2013] You feel your skin ignite and char. You have taken 702 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:43 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 335 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:43 2013] You feel your skin ignite and char. You have taken 555 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:44 2013] You resist the Molten Breath spell!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:44 2013] You have been healed for 4764 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:44 2013] You feel a healing touch.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:44 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:44 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:45 2013] You try to slash Sontalak, but miss!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:45 2013] You try to slash Sontalak, but Sontalak dodges!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:45 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but YOU riposte!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:45 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 140 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:46 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:46 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:46 2013] You begin casting Light of Nife.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:46 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:46 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:47 2013] Your eyes stop tingling.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:47 2013] Your body combusts as the lava hits you. You have taken 650 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:47 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but YOU riposte!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but misses!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 425 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 425 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] You regain your concentration and continue your casting.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] You have been healed for 850 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] You are bathed in the light of life.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:48 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:49 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:49 2013] Sontalak tries to bash YOU, but misses!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 425 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] You feel your skin ignite and char. You have taken 309 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 140 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] You resist the Char spell!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak executes a FLURRY of attacks on Torrin!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak bashes YOU for 132 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] You feel your skin ignite and char. You have taken 190 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but YOU dodge!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 365 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but misses!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 140 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak bashes YOU for 127 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:50 2013] Sontalak begins to cast a spell.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:51 2013] Your natural might fades.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:51 2013] You have stopped regenerating.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:51 2013] Your restless nature fades.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:51 2013] Your mind returns to normal.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:51 2013] You feel very dispelled.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:52 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 260 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:52 2013] You feel your skin ignite and char. You have taken 702 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:52 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 290 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:52 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 320 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:52 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but misses!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:52 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:53 2013] You resist the Molten Breath spell!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:55 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 140 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:55 2013] You regain your concentration and continue your casting.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:55 2013] You have been healed for 850 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:55 2013] You are bathed in the light of life.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:55 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:55 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:55 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:55 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:56 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 365 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:56 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 200 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:58 2013] Your eyes tingle.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:58 2013] Sontalak tries to bash YOU, but YOU dodge!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:58 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but misses!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:58 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 275 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:58 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 350 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:58 2013] You resist the Char spell!
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:58 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:58 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:16:59 2013] You begin casting Supernal Cleansing.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:00 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 140 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:00 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 155 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:00 2013] Your spell is interrupted.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:01 2013] You begin casting Supernal Cleansing.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:01 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 425 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:01 2013] You resist the Char spell!
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:01 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 395 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:01 2013] You feel your skin ignite and char. You have taken 702 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:02 2013] Your spell is interrupted.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:02 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:02 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:03 2013] You begin casting Light of Nife.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:03 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 155 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:03 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but YOU riposte!
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:03 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 275 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:03 2013] You resist the Char spell!
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:03 2013] Sontalak tries to claw YOU, but YOU riposte!
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:03 2013] Sontalak begins to cast a spell.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:04 2013] Your spell is interrupted.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:04 2013] You begin casting Light of Nife.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:04 2013] Your eyes stop tingling.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:04 2013] Your protection fades.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:04 2013] Your summer haze clears.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:04 2013] The seasonal haze clears.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:04 2013] You feel very dispelled.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:04 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:04 2013] You haven't recovered yet...
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] You have been healed for 850 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] You are bathed in the light of life.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 140 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 140 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] Sontalak claws YOU for 350 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] Sontalak says 'Ack! I must be careful not to step on that body, it tastes much better when it is still crunchy, not pulped!'
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] You feel your skin ignite and char. You have taken 702 points of damage.
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] You have been knocked unconscious!
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:05 2013] You have been slain by Sontalak!
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:07 2013] Returning to home point, please wait...
[Thu Nov 07 23:17:08 2013] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...

wycca
03-27-2015, 03:45 AM
Sontalak has, from multiple sources, about 100k hp. There is no mention of him having significant regen of any sort (video below does not show it either).

I did parse Sontalak on live for 10min to try and figure out how often he cast stuff - While I realize that live may not quite be classic, it still has some interesting data.

Here are the results -

Length of fight - 600 seconds
Note - Times vary, he does not appear to have fixed intervals on casting, although there may be upper and lower bounds (see data at end)

# Beholder Dispell - 43 = 1 per 14sec avg (note this is a targeted ae)
# Dragon Roar -16 = 1 per 37.5sec avg
# Annul Self - 16 = 1 per 37.5sec avg
# Lava Breath - 37 = 1 per 16sec avg (this appears to have been molten breath renamed - 650dd on live)
# Flurry - 80 = 1 per 7.5sec avg

# Char - 187 = 1 per 3.2sec avg - (lol 974dmg on live) - note this is a % chance per hit, not actually random

Char is interesting - I wanted to pull out the char data, here is what I found -
- Char only lands on a hit (ie evasive 4tw) - dodge, miss, etc = no proc
- Char does not proc on a bash
- # Char procs per hit - # Sontalak you dodge (yes even from behind on live) = 116, # Sontalak misses = 314, # Sontalak hits = 639 (80 flurry messages btw) = 187char/639hits = 29.3% chance to proc Char per hit

I could only find a single classic Sontalak video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9opZFThy95w

It's not as helpful as it could be given the chat box being blocked, but it is interesting to parse it out -
Fight starts at 0:16 (despite it already going Sontalak is very near full health)
Fight ends at 2:31
Total length - 135sec

Beholder Dispell - 0:35?, 2:09 - impossible to tell how many are actually going off in this video
Lava Breath - 0:16, 0:31, 0:50, 1:16, 1:30, 1:45, 2:01, 2:15 - get rid of 1st one, that averages about 19sec (16sec with 1st one) - ie pretty darn close to current live fire rates given small sample size.
Fear - 1:37, 2:12 - This is once every 67sec, but note there is weird behavior going on with a skull icon (0:16 its on, 0:35 its off, 0:56 its on, 1:17 its off), note that for definite fear, it's on from 2:12 to 2:35). This suggests to me that fear has landed at the start of the video and at 0:56 as well. Also suggests to me classic fear had some interesting mechanics that may have allowed casting and prevented some movement - at least in the last tick or two, or else is easy to resist some of the effects even if icon lands. While under the influence of fear, he is clearly able to cast at some points in the 2nd tick at some points in the 3rd, but is apparently unable to move until the last tick or until fear wears off. With the extra likely fear (not including the skewing data 1st one at 0:16), you have 3 fears for 45sec average. Ie, live fire rate appears to be very close to classic fire rate based on the limited data we have.

Mini-Conclusion - The fire AE and fear AE appears to be the same fire rate on live and in a classic video. There is little reason to suspect that the char and beholder dispell, given their high rate of fire on live, is significantly different than classic as well if the other values are unchanged. You'd probably be doing Sontalak justice using current-live fire rates (from this parse) on P99.

PS - See invis link again - prolly circa 6/27/01 patch -
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=6466&p=2#comments
Anonymous - 7/7/01 - "Hiya, just wanted to let you know that as of the last patch, you can no longer invis past him."

PSS - Interval data - 46:06 - 56:05 fight times
Lava/Molten Breath - (min = 12sec, max = 31sec) 9, 12, 16, 17, 13, 31, 15, 19, 16, 20, 14, 16, 12, 12, 29, 17, 20, 13, 12, 14, 12, 23, 20, 16, 14, 13, 25, 18, 13, 15, 20, 13, 12, 14, 12, 14, 12 - ignoring 1st
Fear - (min = 36sec, max = 44sec) 1, 41, 36, 42, 36, 36, 37, 38, 41, 46, 36, 44, 37, 37, 37, 37, 17 - 1st and last are bad data imo
Annul - (min = 36sec, max = 45sec) 10, 45, 39, 37, 37, 39, 36, 36, 37, 41, 40, 43, 37, 38, 36, 37, 9 - 1st and last are bad data imo

Conclusion - There definitely does appear to be a fixed range on him casting Breath, Fear, and Annul

Edit - With 100k hp and no regen, that video would peg their raid dps around 740dps.