PDA

View Full Version : Why Add Velios?

bracketen
12-01-2014, 03:35 PM
I am an old school EQ Classic player and am wondering why Project1999 is making the same horrendous mistake that Sony made by over expanding.

I was excited when my friend found this project because Classic EQ(pre-Velious*sp) was the perfect size world for both leveling and pvping. No sooner than I join this game and am having a blast do I read that this project is making the same mistakes that Sony/Verant made.

I quit EQ classic at Luclin because as a PvP player it became impossible to find anyone to fight with the moment Luclin came out. Why would this server that doesn't have nearly the population of EQ in it's prime over-expand to a much larger world?

Are the added zones, which will be 95% deserted, worth it? Is the little bit of extra gear, worth it? I say, No.

Thoughts?

anthony210
12-02-2014, 04:16 AM
I lost quite a few braincells reading your post. Any thoughts on that?

Aussie
12-02-2014, 04:24 AM
You state the problems happened the moment Luclin came out.

That's good because it's never coming to P99 :)

Fame
12-02-2014, 04:31 AM
Still pretty red Aussie

Pras

Veleria
12-02-2014, 04:32 AM
You play red, your expectation is that there are not enough people to pvp on red if they add more zones.

Thoughts... Not enough people like to play red for them to ignore content so you can pvp. If you guys find it to be a problem stick to zones you agree on for pvp. It's not hard to decide you all want to hang out in EJ and gank each other all day long.

Lunababy
12-02-2014, 06:00 AM
"Classic" is pretty much considered to be the EQ trilogy (classic+kunark+velious) as you can see the game's giant turn towards terribleness* between Velious and Luclin. It also seems to mark a point in the developmental shift from Verant to SOE for said reasons.

TLDR; Luclin contained such massive changes that the original feel, gameplay, and design of EQ was lost. It was the beginning of the end.

*Non-player ports, new classes/races, new graphics, new carrot system (AA), extreme item stat inflation, ?focus?, new poorly designed features (bazaar/mounts), accessibility features and ease of gameplay

Rupertox
12-02-2014, 06:31 AM
I am an old school EQ Classic player and am wondering why Project1999 is making the same horrendous mistake that Sony made by over expanding.

I was excited when my friend found this project because Classic EQ(pre-Velious*sp) was the perfect size world for both leveling and pvping. No sooner than I join this game and am having a blast do I read that this project is making the same mistakes that Sony/Verant made.

I quit EQ classic at Luclin because as a PvP player it became impossible to find anyone to fight with the moment Luclin came out. Why would this server that doesn't have nearly the population of EQ in it's prime over-expand to a much larger world?

Are the added zones, which will be 95% deserted, worth it? Is the little bit of extra gear, worth it? I say, No.

Thoughts?

Ill explain you what happened in Everquest, and whats happening here, from what ive saw:

Everquest -> Expansions came when people finished and make trivial previous one, and had to add different challenges.

P99 Everquest -> Kunark is so CROWDED of level 60 players and alts, wich are stucks to always the same, plus, the raid scene is generating lots of problems cause the amount of guilds that wants to raid and the low raid content, you cant keep it small anymore.

Seliant
12-02-2014, 07:20 AM
nice rupertox... but that EQ had like 4millions player... i have never seem more than 1110 in this one at same time and you all know that mor than half of those 1100 are afk... so... i agree with velious... i dont agree the forced to play beta closing others servers...

jarshale
12-02-2014, 08:32 AM
nice rupertox... but that EQ had like 4millions player... i have never seem more than 1110 in this one at same time and you all know that mor than half of those 1100 are afk... so... i agree with velious... i dont agree the forced to play beta closing others servers...

Do you really think they had 4 million people on one server?

Stylez
12-02-2014, 08:39 AM
EQ during Luclin i think, had 100k people on at once across all servers, thats the most they have ever had online at once.

Freddy
12-02-2014, 08:43 AM
+1 Rupertox

myriverse
12-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Well, we as players have also become more efficient at things, requiring less people to do the same work.

EQ never had 4 million players during the classic era (if ever), even across the 20-ish servers. All the data I've seen has it peaking around 2007 with about 500k subscribers, and during the classic era they peaked around 250k (and climbing).

I would not doubt it if P99 has more accounts "per capita" due to it being free. And at this point, being stuck in Kunark for 2+ years, we certainly have more top-level characters than classic era EQ.

bracketen
12-02-2014, 09:59 AM
I lost quite a few braincells reading your post. Any thoughts on that?

Because you are a mean spirited douche.

jarshale
12-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Because you are a mean spirited douche.

I like how you ignored everyone else telling you how wrong you are.

Rupertox
12-02-2014, 06:58 PM

1100 on kunark servers, with LOTS of 60's is alot

Bwils
12-02-2014, 06:59 PM
I wish there was AAs in Vellious. Exp is maxed out so no point to kill anything besides for gear. Already been doing the gear grind with Kunark.

Gaxx
12-02-2014, 07:03 PM
AAs are shit and were just added in to add more endless grind bullshit to EQ to keep people playing and paying subscriptions. They are part of what ruined what used to be a good game. If this server had AAs I'd quit playing. But it wont, ever, and that's why I'm here.

Tann
12-02-2014, 07:23 PM
AAs are shit and were just added in to add more endless grind bullshit to EQ to keep people playing and paying subscriptions. They are part of what ruined what used to be a good game. If this server had AAs I'd quit playing. But it wont, ever, and that's why I'm here.

Couldn't disagree more~

AAs added a reason to play ones main outside of raiding and farming. Folks like myself love seeing the xp bars filling up, if I ever get a lv60 on this server I might delevel it a bit so I can keep the flow.. and the spice must flow.

Gaxx
12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Couldn't disagree more~

AAs added a reason to play ones main outside of raiding and farming. Folks like myself love seeing the xp bars filling up, if I ever get a lv60 on this server I might delevel it a bit so I can keep the flow.. and the spice must flow.

That's a good point but I'd rather just start an alt instead. Different strokes for different folks :cool:

Lunababy
12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
I wish there was AAs in Vellious. Exp is maxed out so no point to kill anything besides for gear. Already been doing the gear grind with Kunark.

This statement is very applicable to WoW, but not necessarily classic EQ. Not everybody is guaranteed a level 60, and getting raid gear/epic isn't easy, and then there's always an alt out of the many, many classes available.

HeallunRumblebelly
12-02-2014, 07:30 PM
http://kambyero.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/fft-velius.png

Charak
12-02-2014, 07:30 PM
this reads like a sirilous post

Tann
12-02-2014, 07:36 PM
That's a good point but I'd rather just start an alt instead. Different strokes for different folks :cool:

Darn tootin'

GinnasP99
12-02-2014, 08:02 PM

i love that game ;)

Lunababy
12-02-2014, 08:05 PM

sorry to scream-kite that fucking fight for 10 minutes

HeallunRumblebelly
12-02-2014, 08:08 PM
i love that game ;)

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131107025825/finalfantasy/images/a/a7/FFT_PSP_Spoony_Bard.png

HeallunRumblebelly
12-02-2014, 08:13 PM
sorry to scream-kite that fucking fight for 10 minutes

You could 1 move him with an equip sword ninja (during the first phase). Then the second phase you can disengage far enough so the adds can't really assist. As long as you survive that first cyclops?(whatever summon velius casts) their fate is sealed. Could also just calculate holy on the back step mobs. Pretty sure they're on 5 (prime or 5) ground but it's been a while. Hell, as long as you get past the first phase, anything in the second phase works. It just usually helps to delay movement until your 2nd turn in the 2nd phase because even with move +3 (unless you're going with a BALLSY teleport) you can't reach even a 2 slot melee range from them. At this part of the game you've recently gotten the fur shops and if you've bred your own minotaurs, getting holy lances for a set of disposable lancers to rush through the game ain't shit. 2 hand lancers + hamedo? A bit excessive prep, truly, but they become unkillable gods who will rarely if ever be countered.

webrunner5
12-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Couldn't disagree more~

I agree also with you. And I think AA's helped out Hybrids the most be a little to a lot more balanced than they were without them. Plus was something to brag about having a lot of them, and something else to do. I think they are missing a good chance down the road not having them on here. This server is going to get boring as hell in another 2 or 3 years even with Velious out. You can only kill Giants and Dragons being level 60 so long before it gets to be old crap.

And I don't think there is a young pool of kids to draw from like there was in the start of EQ. So it will wither away at some point in time.

HeallunRumblebelly
12-02-2014, 08:24 PM
I agree also with you. And I think AA's helped out Hybrids the most be a little to a lot more balanced than they were without them. Plus was something to brag about having a lot of them, and something else to do. I think they are missing a good chance down the road not having them on here. This server is going to get boring as hell in another 2 or 3 years even with Velious out. You can only kill Giants and Dragons being level 60 so long before it gets to be old crap.

PoP balanced hybrids truthfully. Picking up adds that could 1 round your dps / cleric became kind of a thing again -- even some trash clears in water/air especially. Lots of great runic procs which helped with mitigation and aoe threat. Still not major raid roles but at least they could do something. Shit in Luclin had so much HP you'd just corner the mob and afk as a warrior. Especially on shit like say, Cursed, where AOE was so bad you barely sent the melee in unless you had an enormous numbers engage.

edit: Hybrids is also kind of a broad term. Mostly referring to pal/sk. Bard isn't a fucking hybrid -- it's unique. And beastlords were just around for spiritual radiance / purity until GoD? I think it was that gave them some good melee dps with the help of AAs.

2nd edit: It'll be interesting to see if as gear advances we don't move towards SKs on some trash mobs to save clicky threat. Usually 1 charge off a net is enough to keep it off healers and all dps but wizards as long as they give the warrior just a moment. Flurry drakes are requiring defensive pretty consistently right now, so don't think pal/sk will be a super good choice there.

Throndor
12-02-2014, 08:30 PM
This statement is very applicable to WoW, but not necessarily classic EQ. Not everybody is guaranteed a level 60, and getting raid gear/epic isn't easy, and then there's always an alt out of the many, many classes available.

Getting best in slot raid gear isn't/wasn't easy but I used to host pick up raids every weekend in Halls of Testing throughout the second half of velious, so it wasn't/isn't exactly hard to get raid gear in velious like it is/was in kunark.

Grizzled
12-03-2014, 01:35 PM
AA's changed the raid scene a bit. those well geared raid toons were forced out of their camped raid targets, and move to the open field for grouping.

They also were a way for a boredom cure as others have said. Or they let your main do things they couldnt do before, farming wise. Defensive AA helped melee cl,asses take solo beatings better to farm mobs they couldnt before. Etc,etc.

So i guess in a nutshell, it gave you more options with just 1 character. I thought the AA system was a much better option that just increasing the level cap.

who knows maybe one day they will put in some not quite epic quests for people to unlock aa's. Or maybe some mean as hell quests to unlock levels.

LulzSect
12-03-2014, 02:29 PM
TLDR; Luclin contained such massive changes that the original feel, gameplay, and design of EQ was lost. It was the beginning of the end.

captnamazing
12-03-2014, 02:30 PM
we need velious so that we don't have people afk camping seb king, amirite, rupert? ;)