PDA

View Full Version : People getting mad when you inspect them

Haystacks
11-18-2016, 07:44 PM
I know this has been discussed before but was just talking with an old friend about it. One of the things that I clearly remember from live at least on my server was that people would get absolutely enraged if you inspected them without asking, not everyone but a lot would. Don't really notice that here. Have we all matured since then? (Doubtful). I see it as a former of flattery that I'd take time to check you out but my buddy thinks it's disrespectful to not ask. What do you guys think?

Baler
11-18-2016, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't want some greasy stranger rubbing their hands all over me. Checking out the tags on my clothing.
Has nothing to do with maturity. It's about personal space.

100% disrespectful to not ask before inspecting.

bloodmuffin
11-18-2016, 07:52 PM
I chase them around the tunnel. It's quite funny to watch people get up and move when you inspect.

Ravager
11-18-2016, 07:59 PM
I stand at the front of the Tunnel to be sure that I get inspected, but I'm an exhibitionist.

Canelek
11-18-2016, 08:01 PM
It was certainly an oddity. I am glad that the awkward feelings persist, much like unwanted hugs and tickles for strangers (Just in-game, not in public!).

Lhancelot
11-18-2016, 08:01 PM
I wouldn't want some greasy stranger rubbing their hands all over me. Checking out the tags on my clothing.

You are the type of player I love to mess with. I will run my toon right up behind yours, and stand there uncomfortable close just to make you sweat in your pixels. As soon as guys like you notice my toon parked up on yours, you move away. I then follow. You then run, and I run behind you chasing you... Ahhh fun times.

Swish
11-18-2016, 08:05 PM
If they get mad they're easily rustled, just spam inspect them (hit escape or the X on the window and inspect again). You'll be doing them a favor by desensitizing them <3

sacman08
11-18-2016, 08:41 PM
It is just a game, but in roleplaying terms it would be like some stranger coming up to you in the street and grabbing you shirt collar or pulling your pants tag out to see what your wearing and going through your pockets or purse to see what your carrying. Trying that in real life would get you you punched or have the cops called on you. So some people don't like it in the game either.

Trungep99
11-18-2016, 08:42 PM
I think people don't like being inspected so they won't be seen as a show off.

Pumpedup
11-18-2016, 08:55 PM
on rallos people looked at your gear before they killed you to start picking what they wanted

Atmas
11-18-2016, 10:54 PM
It is just a game, but in roleplaying terms it would be like some stranger coming up to you in the street and grabbing you shirt collar or pulling your pants tag out to see what your wearing and going through your pockets or purse to see what your carrying. Trying that in real life would get you you punched or have the cops called on you. So some people don't like it in the game either.

Except people irl wear clothing that prominently displays the brand.

I think people don't like being inspected so they won't be seen as a show off.

Whatever, I worked hard for my pixels people can look away.

Trungep99
11-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Except people irl wear clothing that prominently displays the brand.

Whatever, I worked hard for my pixels people can look away.

I agree, they can inspect me too, I don't mind, but it is probably why I think they are private

Cecily
11-19-2016, 01:21 AM
My dad taught me 15 years ago that it was polite to ask before inspecting and might be taken as rude if you didn't. It's just old EQ etiquette. I still ask and appreciate when others do the same, but I seriously feel bad for anyone who gets mad over this.

Mags
11-19-2016, 02:22 AM
I was taught to ask, that's one of the first things I remember learning. And I hate asking, so I don't think I've purposefully inspected more than half a dozen times.

I did find that at raid level on live (PoP to SoF) the more raid gear/better guild the less people asked, figured people didn't care, or got tired of saying yes, because who says no?

Bruno
11-19-2016, 03:28 AM
Never asked and don't really care if it bothers people because that's crazy.

myriverse
11-19-2016, 10:59 AM

That's not what inspection is. Inspection is just looking at someone.

Baler
11-19-2016, 11:10 AM

Example: I'm an erudite mage. I wear a robe that covers up all my other items. You're telling me that people can see what items i'm wearing based on looking at me?

Naw man they're lifting my robe up and sticking their head underneath it, poking and prodding at me.
And I don't even know them! how rude..

Inspecting is not just simply looking at a player. That is why you have to get near them to inspect them. To get all handsy (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=handsy).

Sorn
11-19-2016, 11:20 AM

WRONG, they're inspecting your 'equipment'!

Matalus
11-19-2016, 01:00 PM
In live I remember being sketchy about people inspecting me, but this was more so on fact I played on PvP server, and didn't trust people, and didn't want someone to see what I was weilding and all to change up strats on pvp against me

Feanoir
11-19-2016, 01:30 PM
If you actively roleplay or are intensely in character, be offended and harass me in your native tongue in character, it makes sense. it's fun and ill respect it. if you you are hardcore min/maxer, not roleplaying, and using slang, ECT, I think it's pretty silly to be offended. Nobody is looking at your real clothes, or under a real robe. You aren't acting like the game is real so don't be offended I am looking at pixels.

Lhancelot
11-19-2016, 04:25 PM
I think it was eq2 that had the option to turn off inspections? Maybe that would be a good option to have here.

On some games, people would strip their gears off so others couldn't follow what equipment they used due to them having superior advantages due to those gears especially in PVP.

Really not sure why someone would get mad about this particularly on this server/game.

Vexenu
11-19-2016, 06:06 PM
I will inspect anyone at anytime. Absolutely no shame. Then I will judge them based on their gear.

If I accidentally inspect a low level player wearing rags with no decent items at all I back away in shock and disgust, cross myself and say a prayer of thanksgiving that I am not so lowly and wretched as they. I will drop a piece of food next to them on the ground. Then I take a ceremonial bath in the cleansing waters of Lake Rathe to purify myself of their stench.

Other rules when inspecting:

Any player without an epic is plebe tier. Do not sully your eyes by inspecting them.

Any player with more than three droppable pieces of gear equipped is plebe tier.

If you do not regularly pay other players 300pp to inspect you and roleplay that they are shining your boots, you are plebe tier.

If some random plebe inspects you and compliments you on your gear and you acknowledge the plebe's presence in any way except to emote yourself breaking wind in his face before walking away, you are yourself a plebe.

If for some reason a plebe asks you to inspect him and you do not immediately challenge him to a duel on account of such a grave insult, you are a plebe.

If you accidentally inspect some plebe by mistake and unwittingly view his terrible gear you must immediately strip yourself of all buffs, remove each piece of gear you're wearing individually, enter walk mode and slowly walk over to the nearest level 60 non-plebe Cleric, request a duel, and willingly allow him to nuke you shamefully to death before resurrecting you then giving you full buffs. This is your penance. You will then be cleansed of the plebe-gear curse and can re-equip your armor and resume normal play.

If you inspect a player with full BIS slot gear and you do not accuse them of hacking and send them nasty tells until they ignore you, you are a plebe.

myriverse
11-20-2016, 10:43 AM
WRONG, they're inspecting your 'equipment'!
Toons have no "equipment." They're not anatomically correct.:rolleyes:

Baler
11-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Toons have no "equipment." They're not anatomically correct.:rolleyes:

I disagree!
Check out that bulge on that troll hunk vs the naturally smooth curve of that sexy troll babe.
http://i.imgur.com/wn6HW7I.jpg
It's a well known fact that troll male have the largest 'member' of all the playable races.

Side fact: Most Ogres are eunuch.

kaev
11-20-2016, 02:00 PM
I long ago turned off the so-and-so is looking at you msg and the ability to inspect other players. If somebody wants to inspect my gear I don't want to hear about it from the stupid UI (if a player asks I always tell 'em to feel free.) If i see something neat looking I ask the player to link it (and don't sweat it if s/he ignores me.) This may be the silliest non-issue in the game for anyone not a hardcore roleplayer or a pvper.

Cecily
11-20-2016, 02:04 PM
If for some reason a plebe asks you to inspect him and you do not immediately challenge him to a duel on account of such a grave insult, you are a plebe.

Fantastic guide overall. I'm gonna start dueling anyone that doesn't ask before inspecting me.

paulgiamatti
11-20-2016, 02:32 PM
I'm strangely reminded of that band called Goblin Cock (https://goblincock.bandcamp.com/).

Lhancelot
11-20-2016, 03:27 PM
I disagree!
Check out that bulge on that troll hunk vs the naturally smooth curve of that sexy troll babe.
http://i.imgur.com/wn6HW7I.jpg
It's a well known fact that troll male have the largest 'member' of all the playable races.

I see a larger bulge on the female troll, tbh.

Swish
11-20-2016, 07:33 PM
I see a larger bulge on the female troll, tbh.

I'm building a psychological profile on you, this was an interesting answer.

Baler
11-20-2016, 07:45 PM
I'm building a psychological profile on you, this was an interesting answer.

http://i.imgur.com/NJmducH.gif

Old Prexus
11-20-2016, 09:48 PM
If someone looks good enough in the Commonlands tunnel, i'll rub my dirty curser all over them. Then i'll finally go in for the right click...

ehumphri
11-22-2016, 04:37 AM
On live back in the day you could spam right-click people and lag them out. that may have had something to do with the sensitivity.

vumpel
11-25-2016, 07:45 PM
I ask if they have RP tag.

Nexii
11-25-2016, 08:17 PM
On live I recall people taking inspection as a compliment. Here people seem more sensitive about it. Idk I can go either way on it. Sometimes I'll inspect noobs to see if they need starter items

kebas239
11-25-2016, 09:17 PM
You are the type of player I love to mess with. I will run my toon right up behind yours, and stand there uncomfortable close just to make you sweat in your pixels. As soon as guys like you notice my toon parked up on yours, you move away. I then follow. You then run, and I run behind you chasing you... Ahhh fun times.

I love doing this - Read my mind lol.

Pokesan
11-26-2016, 12:03 AM
I spam inspected Cecily and was not offered a duel

what a fraud!

Pokesan
11-26-2016, 12:06 AM
fraudcily is fraidcily

goldlush
11-27-2016, 05:25 AM

Hey they don't call it a glove of rallos zek for nothin!:cool:

Jorgam
11-28-2016, 11:22 PM
That people get bent out of shape when someone inspects them is super childish. How dare someone think you're online avatar is really cool looking and want to see what all those pretty pixels are! Or want to maybe see what others of the same class are using so they can get better... I mean, it's not like you are chasing down the best of the best of what you can get to not floss it around and make other people envious or jealous or anything...

As well, Fashionquest makes all arguments about getting emo over inspect null and void imo.

Xaanka
11-28-2016, 11:44 PM
pic related to thread

http://i.imgur.com/ASj7siA.png

Red_Messiah
11-28-2016, 11:55 PM
pic related to thread

http://i.imgur.com/ASj7siA.png

who gives a shit, are these boards even moderated anymore?

Twochain
11-29-2016, 01:25 AM
Nothing makes me more mad than being a level 30 troll shadowknight, having 200k worth of gear, hitting blue mobs in MM for 40% of their health with one swing,

And not once being inspected. Are you fucking kidding me??? This is the only reason I had a fucking shadow knight. So I could do the most damage in the group and people freak out. Wtf is wrong with you people?! Right click me God damnit. ACKNOWLEDGE ME

Yeah, my dad always said to ask people first before inspect.. but I never did. I didn't ever want to come off sly but I was always so curious what gears people had.

Shit to this day i probably inspect every one of my group members at least 6 times each. The poor people get welfare cuz times are rough and tough like leather in norrath

Splade
12-01-2016, 03:31 PM
I chase them around the tunnel. It's quite funny to watch people get up and move when you inspect.
I do this ALL the time. It's hilarious to watch them get soooo pissed off

bestovv
12-01-2016, 06:15 PM
very normal thread

maskedmelon
12-01-2016, 06:28 PM
If someone looks good enough in the Commonlands tunnel, i'll rub my dirty curser all over them. Then i'll finally go in for the right click...

lol

Bristlebaner
12-01-2016, 06:51 PM
What's more dumb is the game tells you when someone inspects you...who cares?

Baler
12-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Let's get to inspecting. Can you please turn your head so I can see the neck slot.

http://i.imgur.com/22jNthQ.png

skarlorn
12-01-2016, 07:20 PM
who gives a shit, are these boards even moderated anymore?

they're moderated by rats who PM llandris