PDA

View Full Version : Well it's been fun

noby
10-24-2009, 10:08 PM
You know I have played many mmos since I started with EQ back in 2000 I think with the release of kunark and I have noticed that the things that drove me deeper and deeper into mmos as a casual player was the social setting and helped me get further and further apart from the addictive setting. Of course it helps that mmos are getting easier and easier, but I don't like that, I like my games hard and worth a damn, but I also like to log on and talk to familiar people and have fun chatting with everyone.

That's why I am leaving, I found my self getting slightly readdicted like I did back in 2000, enjoying the social aspect of the game and having a blast getting groups and losing sleep together, but you guys basically took out the soul of the game simply because some people can't stand a few trolls, I hate to break it to you but if you were sitting in EC you would of had to deal with the same exact people, but maybe worse, and they would of never muted OOC or ban it for everyones use. Yeah yeah I know about the chat channels but it just seems pointless to me. My friend can't find a group to save his life now, and you have to travel to each and every zone to see if there is a group there. I understand this is what we had to do in 1999 but there were a ton more people back in the day If this server had that many people I wouldn't want global ooc and I would be perfectly happy with the change.

But people whined and said it wasn't classic, I have a news flash for you, this game will never be 100% classic simply because you will need the same amount of people with the same amount of mindset. This server already has a level 50 already simply because he/she/it already knew what to do and knows what he can duo with a friend and never needed anyone's help besides he/she/it's friend. But some people just want to log in group up or even solo while chatting talking about how good the 1999 days were, but some people can't stand the thought of a constant chat going because they are not in the zone and it's not classic and they get annoyed and bothered too easily.

#1 rule: if someone bothers you, don't let it get to you and then you win. You let it get to you then they win and keep going. Stop letting everything get to you and whining to get your way.

no you can't have my stuff, but I just wanted to let you guys know that it WAS a ton of fun and now it's a job.

Greldor
10-24-2009, 11:10 PM
You let all the people that were letting it get to them get to you and they win because you let it get to you and not them.

WIN!

Smashed
10-24-2009, 11:14 PM
I would suggest people learn to use the /who feature, you can see people who are your level and send them messages. You are even able to /who a zone name...so you really dont need to travel to each zone to see if theres groups there...you...uhm...you just message them. Even the /lfg feature works last I looked.

emubird
10-25-2009, 01:08 AM
I have never, ever, had problems getting my magician into a group. Never.

But I look for groups with /who, like the person above noted, and I put a lot of effort into creating or finding a group. If you have the will to find a group, you will find a way.

Hell, I don't even use the global /ooc channel, it's so full of crap, and I still find groups whenever I want them.

I guess I can't understand why people would have trouble or feel alone on the server, which seems to be really much alive, at this point.

noby
10-25-2009, 01:18 AM
well you guys are getting what you want, pure classic eq, but i can see people leaving because of it and keeping the population up would seem to be a better goal than to just cater to whiners.

And I never let the people whining get to me, I am pissed because the GMs muted OOC that one time and now removed it, that is what bothers me. At least make it continental. Getting a group was actually fun now it's work, so I am sorry if you guys like that but I don't see the logic in it. Esp since / all LFG doesn't work. And now that you have to go and actually FIND people and ASK if they are looking for group I would like to see you pick a ranger or another "lesser" class over mage or cleric.

EQclassic is not going to happen again officially, so I don't see why you guys don't want to create an actual community with global OOC

utenan
10-25-2009, 01:55 AM
People come to play here because its classic eq, as the name project 1999 indicates. There was no global ooc, and there shouldn't be any here. I can counter your argument of driving people off by turning ooc off by the number off people that have left because of what goes on in ooc, or what effect global ooc has on the classic feel of the server. It really is not hard to find a group without ooc, and that is not a valid reason to keep it on or quit over it. Like some poster said above, if you want a group you will find one. Personally I do a a /who "zone" , specifically one I want to hunt in. If no one is there I just head to a crowded zone, or hell, start a group. So finding a group really is not a problem, I guess it would be to people who just want one easily, or handed to them, and we all know eq was not made that way. But in the end it doesnt really matter because there will be chat channels, also non classic, and people can just join them, so same effect as global ooc. But with our without it I play the way I want and I don't let anything get to me, like you said. If you miss the social aspect of global ooc, join a guild, or is that too much work because you have to go find one? Your are also right, this server will never be 100% classic, but it is going to be as close as possible, and I think eveyone should expect that coming to the server. If we let global ooc or chat channels in to make it easier, why not pok stones ect. ect.?

Tantalar
10-25-2009, 04:15 AM
Is there something im missing here? Isnt the chat channel basically the same thing as global ooc? :confused:

ojamajoe
10-25-2009, 09:03 AM
The thing with Classic Everquest is that it actually made you talk to other people. It has become apparent that some people really hate that...

Villide
10-25-2009, 09:09 AM
well you guys are getting what you want, pure classic eq, but i can see people leaving because of it and keeping the population up would seem to be a better goal than to just cater to whiners.

And I never let the people whining get to me, I am pissed because the GMs muted OOC that one time and now removed it, that is what bothers me. At least make it continental. Getting a group was actually fun now it's work, so I am sorry if you guys like that but I don't see the logic in it. Esp since / all LFG doesn't work. And now that you have to go and actually FIND people and ASK if they are looking for group I would like to see you pick a ranger or another "lesser" class over mage or cleric.

EQclassic is not going to happen again officially, so I don't see why you guys don't want to create an actual community with global OOC
It might be time for you to accept that this server wasn't built to cater to everyone. As others have mentioned, there's plenty of different servers out there to fit people's needs.

Kantan
10-25-2009, 09:23 AM
I do the /who all "zone" and then send tells.

lapis_lazuli
10-25-2009, 10:08 AM
The thing with Classic Everquest is that it actually made you talk to other people. It has become apparent that some people really hate that...

That's what I've noticed as well. If someone is acting like an arse in OOC (Erudite joke tellers, you know who you are) they go on my ignore. I'm not going to let a few boneheads ruin my gaming experience.

Greldor
10-25-2009, 11:59 AM

I don't understand why you think we want anything other than classic eq. And i dont think you realize how difficult it was for many people to find groups in 1999.

Dolalin
10-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry, I'm going to have to agree with the OP. Eliminating global OOC is moronic.

And, newsflash to the purists: chat channels weren't around in 1999 either.

Global OOC provided a sense of community-building--what the original EQ was all about. The server was low-pop already, and now feels incredibly lonely. This unwelcoming environment is going to turn away a lot of new players.

I'm scratching my head here, who made this decision? It's clearly an awful one.

girth
10-25-2009, 03:43 PM
What a baby. I love when people like this leave the game, seems to make it better for the rest of us.

Stop letting everything get to you and whining to get your way.

I would shoot that quote right back at you.

Villide
10-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Sorry, I'm going to have to agree with the OP. Eliminating global OOC is moronic.

And, newsflash to the purists: chat channels weren't around in 1999 either.

Global OOC provided a sense of community-building--what the original EQ was all about. The server was low-pop already, and now feels incredibly lonely. This unwelcoming environment is going to turn away a lot of new players.

I'm scratching my head here, who made this decision? It's clearly an awful one.
I'd gather most of the "purists" would be fine without chat channels as well.

Takshaka
11-03-2009, 04:25 PM
just to toss in my 2cp. I just found out about this server the other day and I just created my char. I played from launch up until Velious came out and I am really glad that this server is here. My *only* real experience was with the original game content as I didn't play much of Kunark even though I bought the expansion.

Anyway on to my point. It seems like serverwide OOC has been turned back on and I would like to say that I think this is a nice addition. When I first logged on I was surprised by the amount of chatter in OOC, I had no idea that Erudin had that many people in it. Then I quickly realized that I was the only PC in Erudin and I instantly thought, wow I am glad that OOC is global. I thoroughly enjoy at least reading the random chatter over OOC. If the server pop got to be over 400-500 then serverwide OOC might be overkill, but from my initial 24 hour experience I definitely am a fan.

guineapig
11-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I agree with Takshaka.
Features that can be filtered out by the few that don't like should not be completely disabled. That's the point of having all those options at our disposal.

I think certain things should be enforced as much as possible such as keeping auctions in the auction channel. But as far as a couple annoying people in OOC, mute them.

The LFG tool does indeed work and maybe there should be a welcome message created as a reminder for newer players that might not think to try some of those features. Currently LFG is greatly underused and if the server pop does end up growing closer to 1000 then looking for a group in OOC might become a bit of a spam issue in the future.

With the low population on this server, the benefits of global OOC way outweigh the gripes. Just an example, I had a couple issues when I first started out and people were able to kindly answer my questions right away. In most of these cases my answers came from players not just in another zone, but on a whole other continent. Saved me from submitting quite a few reports for things that I originally mistook as bugs but turned out not to be (ie: shared bank slots).

just my 2 copper

Tenpin
11-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Where I may not enjoy global OOC all the time, I understand why some people do.

What I don't understand is why this is such a big issue for folks? I just filter out /ooc if I get tired of it, or send it to another window & keep it minimized. Problem solved, no harm done. Carry on..

Quineloe
11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
It might be time for you to accept that this server wasn't built to cater to everyone. As others have mentioned, there's plenty of different servers out there to fit people's needs.

Uh no, there isn't. All the other servers are junk. All of them. (At least the ones I looked at, which isn't few)

Villide
11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Where I may not enjoy global OOC all the time, I understand why some people do.

What I don't understand is why this is such a big issue for folks? I just filter out /ooc if I get tired of it, or send it to another window & keep it minimized. Problem solved, no harm done. Carry on..
Why should anyone have to filter out /ooc? Why not just have people use it for its intended purpose?

Having said that, OOC seems to be cleaned up somewhat lately - but I'm not on very much, so YMMV.