PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Frontal Stun Immunity

Killval
05-28-2019, 03:27 PM
In regards to the Ogre racial of Frontal Stun Immunity or FSI, my question is this. So say you are casting a spell with your back against the wall, channeling skill is maxed whatever, so none of that can be an interference with my question. What happens when you are casting as an Ogre and mid-cast a mob connects with a bash, I recognize you DO NOT take the stun effect, however, will the Ogre be interrupted of his spell cast regardless? Because if you do get interrupted, but just do not take the stun effect, then I'd say the usefulness of FSI is heavily mitigated by that fact, and regen would trump it, IMO. However, if you can actually continue to channel your cast through a mobs connected bash without receiving some sort of interrupt(outside of channeling skill & push), then I think it should be as heavily lauded as it is. I've never been able to find a distinct sure fire answer to this question. Any perspective on this from max level Ogre Shaman who can indeed confirm this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks = D (Please don't turn this into a BiS race pick for Shaman lol, that's been done to death, I'm just interested in a mechanics question regarding the FSI racial)

gkmarino
05-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Correct FSI will allow you to keep casting so long as your player position doesn't get pushed too far away from the initial casting point and the hits you are receiving are to the front.

You can be tanking 4 dangerous NPCs at the same time and receive 4 bashes and still slow them one by one, so long as they aren't melee pushing you too far. AKA your back is against a corner or wall.

This benefit is lost upon using an illusion of any kind such as, bear form, skeleton illusion, etc.

Killval
05-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Correct FSI will allow you to keep casting so long as your player position doesn't get pushed too far away from the initial casting point and the hits you are receiving are to the front.

You can be tanking 4 dangerous NPCs at the same time and receive 4 bashes and still slow them one by one, so long as they aren't melee pushing you too far. AKA your back is against a corner or wall.

This benefit is lost upon using an illusion of any kind such as, bear form, skeleton illusion, etc.

Okay then, yeah if it does indeed operate that way here on Project 1999, then I can see why it is such a highly regarded racial for sure. You know what I mean though if the FSI racial ONLY mitigated the stun effect and not the interrupt of the spell casting(outside of pushback/channeling) I wouldn't think it's that great at all.

DMN
05-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Okay then, yeah if it does indeed operate that way here on Project 1999, then I can see why it is such a highly regarded racial for sure. You know what I mean though if the FSI racial ONLY mitigated the stun effect and not the interrupt of the spell casting(outside of pushback/channeling) I wouldn't think it's that great at all.

I'm not sure it works that way. Back in classic there were three things that could potentially interrupt you: a stun(automatic interrupt), moved/being moved (the greater distance moved the greater the chance of interrupt), and just damage itself could interrupt your casting. However, it was pretty rare for you to be interrupt only because of taking melee damage.Not sure how it works on P99 though.

The main reason regen is somewhat "meh" for a shaman if you plan to play it at level 60 is that torpor makes regen almost irrelevant.

loramin
05-28-2019, 03:50 PM
The main reason regen is somewhat "meh" for a shaman if you plan to play it at level 60 is that torpor makes regen almost irrelevant.

Well, that and the fact that there's no way to get it without a significant XP penalty. The regen itself of course absolutely does help with leveling ... but just not enough to counterbalance the penalty.

In other words, when choosing Troll over Barbarian you're essentially trading a slightly longer path to 60 in exchange for getting to spend a smaller percentage of that path sitting on your butt.

Lordgordon
05-28-2019, 04:04 PM
Dont try to justify choosing barbarian.

Killval
05-28-2019, 04:06 PM
ehh idk it all adds up honestly, leveling with regen is immense. Yeah Torpor certainly mitigates the usefulness sure, but it's still something even with Torpor, much more limited in its scope yes, but the 1000s of hours getting to 60 and acquiring Torpor I'd say regen is pretty handy = D

Jibartik
05-28-2019, 04:22 PM
In other words, when choosing Troll over Barbarian you're essentially trading a slightly longer path to 60 in exchange for getting to spend a smaller percentage of that path sitting on your butt.

correction you are choosing between this and this:

https://i.imgur.com/5do7vGh.png

elwing
05-28-2019, 04:23 PM
Out of the racial traits, fsi is the most useful for raid and regen the most effective for all levels... But no racial traits have a big impact at 60,it's rather marginal compared to gear...

Cen
05-28-2019, 04:28 PM
Also consider that every other race isnt stunned by bash 100% of the time either from the front.

Cen
05-28-2019, 04:31 PM

Barbarians have a unique shaman racial no other races or classes can duplicate. Polar bear form. Nothing else matters past that

loramin
05-28-2019, 04:43 PM

I can and absolutely will justify choosing Barbarian. It is, without a doubt, from a purely logical and impartial standpoint, the best choice IF your goal is to get to 60 the fastest.

Now, nothing about what I just said was false, and yet I'll be the first to admit that Ogres are probably the uber-race for Shaman. Is that a contradiction?

Nope, because Ogres are the best at 60. They very likely take the longest to get there out of all the shaman races (more XP penalty than Barbarians with no regen to help), but as others have already mentioned, at 60 (with Torpor) regen really doesn't matter.

Thus, at 60 Ogres are the best because their ability (FSI) matters, whereas the other abilities (regen, faction, etc.) don't. But when it comes to getting to 60, Barbarians are the best ... with Trolls as a close second (plus, as I mentioned, they spend a smaller percentage of that time stuck on their butt meditating, so depending on your perspective that might make them better for leveling).

Meanwhile Iksar are just objectively inferior to Trolls IF you can get a JBB ... but if not they're objectively superior because they get more armor and are otherwise equivalent (plus they don't have the large race annoyance).

But also:

Barbarians have a unique shaman racial no other races or classes can duplicate. Polar bear form. Nothing else matters past that

Jibartik
05-28-2019, 04:46 PM
Hey at least climate change doesn't threaten trolls & ogres. #strongestracesconfirmed

DMN
05-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Actually trolls and iksars have a net experience bonus relative to all the other shaman races due to how much of your time you will spend from 50-60 + cannabalize. Having things like a regen BP and chanter/bard grouping with you can screw with a the relative math a bit but it's still always faster than any of the other races.

loramin
05-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Actually trolls and iksars have a net experience bonus relative to all the other shaman races due to how much of your time you will spend from 50-60 + cannabalize. Having things like a regen BP and chanter/bard grouping with you can screw with a the relative math a bit but it's still always faster than any of the other races.

Someone crunched the numbers ages ago and it convinced me pretty solidly that Barbarians are faster (but again, as a trade-off they spend a higher percentage of time meditating).

Ultimately unless someone levels two shaman, one Barbarian and one Ogre, the exact same way, and records the amount of time spent on each, there's really no way to truly be certain though.

maskedmelon
05-28-2019, 05:03 PM
Also consider that every other race isnt stunned by bash 100% of the time either from the front.

yes, but every other race is interrupted by bash 100% of the time. that's the advantage of fsi. barbs are better anyway though because the are not slimey, scaled or obese.

DMN
05-28-2019, 05:31 PM
Someone crunched the numbers ages ago and it convinced me pretty solidly that Barbarians are faster (but again, as a trade-off they spend a higher percentage of time meditating).

Ultimately unless someone levels two shaman, one Barbarian and one Ogre, the exact same way, and records the amount of time spent on each, there's really no way to truly be certain though.

If you average the time between 50-60 the troll/ikky will be gaining about 5 more mana per tick in that time period. The average meditation tick in that range will be about 20, meaning they level 25% faster. That's a net 5% bonus for them.

1-50 is a lot harder to quickly estimate. You will probably average about 2 mana more per tick as a troll/ikky and average meditation tick will be around 13. That leaves trolls/iksar with about a 5% penalty. But since you will spend 2 to 3 times longer 50-60, the troll/ikky will still be well ahead of their racial exp penalty.

of coruse this doesn't touch the whole regen spell line, which will shrink the difference a bit, but the ikky/trol will still end up a bit ahead.

Jibartik
05-28-2019, 05:43 PM
Id argue that barbarians are faster because levels 1-24 are easier for light races than level 1-24 for dark races, and you're a trashcan until your level 24 as a shaman.

But if we're talking p99 then both are the same because you should just pay a bard to kite you to 60 if you're worried about speed.

DMN
05-28-2019, 05:47 PM
Id argue that barbarians are faster because levels 1-24 are easier for light races than level 1-24 for dark races, and you're a trashcan until your level 24 as a shaman.

But if we're talking p99 then both are the same because you should just pay a bard to kite you to 60 if you're worried about speed.

Guk and kurn's beg to differ.

Jibartik
05-28-2019, 05:49 PM
hmmm guk is no contest joke compared to gnoll fangs but I have never leveled in luclin before so idk (that's right i just called kunark luclin)

DMN
05-28-2019, 06:06 PM
hmmm guk is no contest joke compared to gnoll fangs but I have never leveled in luclin before so idk (that's right i just called kunark luclin)

BB sucks Train central and packs of aggro all over the place. Pretty much have to have a decent group, and then there going a bunch of potential fangs. Oh, and the ZEM is shit. A duo/trio in kurns/guk will do way better.

garfo
05-28-2019, 07:57 PM
57 Ogre shammy here, can confirm that FSI is as amazing as everyone says it is -- to the point where I actively dislike using bear illusion because playing without FSI feels like i'm gimped.

Jibartik
05-28-2019, 08:05 PM
BB sucks Train central and packs of aggro all over the place. Pretty much have to have a decent group, and then there going a bunch of potential fangs. Oh, and the ZEM is shit. A duo/trio in kurns/guk will do way better.

train central lmao "lets go to upper guk" you're out of your element donny. I appreciate your love of guk, it is a wonderful zone, but you dont know how to level as a good race if you think its slower than grinding in a group in guk lol

Cen
05-28-2019, 08:15 PM
yes, but every other race is interrupted by bash 100% of the time. that's the advantage of fsi. barbs are better anyway though because the are not slimey, scaled or obese.

It's only 100% from the rear, for all races including Ogres.

Non ogres will not be stunned around ~12% or so. Unless in the stun patch as of recent changed that but that was mostly to fix an issue with rear stuns. Maybe ill do a little video trial and count them.

DMN
05-28-2019, 08:16 PM
train central lmao "lets go to upper guk" you're out of your element donny. I appreciate your love of guk, it is a wonderful zone, but you dont know how to level as a good race if you think its slower than grinding in a group in guk lol

You don't have to worry about trains in upper guk unless you are humping a zone exit or the main path to lower guk. So don't pull/fight in those areas. Really complicated stuff..

maskedmelon
05-28-2019, 08:59 PM
It's only 100% from the rear, for all races including Ogres.

Non ogres will not be stunned around ~12% or so. Unless in the stun patch as of recent changed that but that was mostly to fix an issue with rear stuns. Maybe ill do a little video trial and count them.

If the bash lands, you're spell is interrupted over 9000% of the time. That does not happen to ogres.

Borak
05-28-2019, 09:37 PM
If the bash lands, you're spell is interrupted over 9000% of the time. That does not happen to ogres.

Yeah, odds are you won't get stunned but you WILL get interrupted. As a bard and non-ogre, it freaking annoys me everytime some mob bashes my hand off the guitar. Not stunned, but gotta start that song again anyway

Jibartik
05-29-2019, 12:18 AM
You don't have to worry about trains in upper guk unless you are humping a zone exit or the main path to lower guk. So don't pull/fight in those areas. Really complicated stuff..

well we'll see which one of us is right come october :cool:

Jimjam
05-29-2019, 01:59 AM

That doesn't align to my experience. I'm fairly certain that I have seen a bash land on my troll SK but successfully channelled the spell I was casting. Perhaps I misread the situation, or am misremembering, but it doesn't seem a landed bash is an auto interrupt on non-ogres.

Borak
05-29-2019, 02:27 AM
That doesn't align to my experience. I'm fairly certain that I have seen a bash land on my troll SK but successfully channelled the spell I was casting. Perhaps I misread the situation, or am misremembering, but it doesn't seem a landed bash is an auto interrupt on non-ogres.

You have a point. If your channeling ability is maxed, it's possible to continue casting if you get bashed. Bards don't get channeling, so bash = interrupt always, it's sooo annoying.

Killval
05-29-2019, 03:07 AM
Dammit I knew someone would turn my thread into a best race for Shaman thing again lol. But I'm glad I got the answer, that Ogres CAN(if conditions are right i.e. no pushback/meet the channeling criteria) indeed continue to channel their cast through a bash that does in fact land on you. I've just gotten so many conflicting reports on this, I was never ultimately positive on it. Some people said they would always get interrupted but never stunned, some said they always channeled through it *shrugs*

Jibartik
05-29-2019, 08:29 AM
I still think gnomes and dark elves make cooler necromancers.

Cen
05-29-2019, 08:38 PM
I still think gnomes and dark elves make cooler necromancers.

My classic character who had over 365 days played was a DE necro. I consider it an iconic class race choice. ;D

Killval
05-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Yeah Dark Elf Necro along with my Human SK will likely be my first choices when Green server rolls out. I don't really feel the need to get anything like guise/manastone although the cash from manastone would be dope lol. I'm just setting a goal to snag two CoS. One for my SK and one for my Necro, that's it.

jvoo75188
07-23-2019, 05:59 AM
Thanks, that's not quite what was needed I suppose, but at least something... Even after 5 years there is not much on Latin dedications online.. I was on the edge of trying luck with an essay service checked reviews and here I am...I have found royalessays co uk (https://royalessays.co.uk/) writing service!

Synthlol
07-23-2019, 11:16 AM
well we'll see which one of us is right come october :cool:

Don't bother arguing with DMN he's the one of the dumbest ones playing this game.