PDA

View Full Version : Why play a paladin?

Shaper
06-05-2011, 11:57 PM
I have my paladin up to lvl 5 right now and was wondering if i should continue or just reroll while im still low lvl. I love the idea of a holy full plate warrior just seems kinda slow solo wise right now. Name is swishy human pal.

deneauth
06-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I have been in some very successful, yet unorthidox groups with Paladin's in the past. On my warrior I have been in a group with a Paladin, a Ranger, a Rogue, and a Bard with no healer and we held the Captain spawn in Karnor's no problem. Soloing in EQ is always slow, I would suggest finding a group of players and try to level with them. Grouping is the way to go unless your class is meant for soloing such as a Magician, Enchanter, or Necromancer.

bizzum
06-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Once you get a few more levels and start groupin with others I think you'll see the fun factor of a Paladin go up a lot. Those first few levels are always a little bit slow for a lot of classes, but I really wouldn't judge how you feel about the class until you give it a little longer. If you think you'll enjoy it I am pretty sure you will!

hrafn
06-06-2011, 12:14 AM
I love the idea of a holy full plate warrior just seems kinda slow solo wise right now.

where exactly did you get the idea that paladins were a solo class? your a tank that means find a group. hit up ec for an orc group or something

Shaper
06-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback. :)

Tyrrion
06-06-2011, 12:27 AM
I've done a bit of soloing as a Paladin. No, it isn't the best, but I feel like I'm soloing better than I did as my monk many many years ago. With a good enough weapon, your damage is more than capable of killing something solo, and your ability to self heal (don't forget bandaging to 50% to save mana) puts you ahead of other melee classes as far as soloing is concerned. Undead are especially easy to solo once you have the undead nuke, but they will drain your mana rapidly.

Will you be soloing like a druid or bard, quad kiting things 5 levels above you? No, but you aren't the worst soloer once you have spells.

EDIT: Before I get flamed to shit, I just want to point out I'm still only level 23, my monk in classic was 38, so no, I don't know what its like to solo at 52 or whatever.

deneauth
06-06-2011, 12:34 AM
I agree with you Tyrrion, I have seen Paladin's rock out in the past. They are useful in groups for tanking/utility as well. Paladin lull for the win! Unless you critically resist then its 'Oh shit!'

Daywolf
06-06-2011, 12:46 AM
yep, up and through Kunark, with my ranger, I mostly played with a buddy who went pally. Was a strong combo, and including a wizard friend who would join us often. I didn't play Pally in EQ (had a cleric), but I did in EQ2 and liked the class. Anyway, he didn't do well solo unless with undead, much like the cleric.

Shaper
06-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Think ill stick with him. I do like tanking for people and i completely forgot about LoH. If anyone needs a pally in guild let me know ill try my best! Swishy.

Haul
06-06-2011, 01:13 AM
where exactly did you get the idea that paladins were a solo class? your a tank that means find a group. hit up ec for an orc group or something

soloing is not bad xp

hdawg06
06-06-2011, 02:32 AM
I have my paladin up to lvl 5 right now and was wondering if i should continue or just reroll while im still low lvl. I love the idea of a holy full plate warrior just seems kinda slow solo wise right now. Name is swishy human pal.

IMO Paladins do not get very good until luclin. You are pretty meh.

dragolyche
06-06-2011, 03:49 AM
Hi,

You can solo with a pally a few. But, It will be hard after lvl 10/15 and you need a good gear. However, pally stay a correct solo class VS Undead. And if you get a Ghoulbane, you can solo aswell. At lvl 14, Unrest zone is recommanded: lot of Undeads and bonus XP.

So, pally is a group class with good assets: LOH, Heal, root, damage vs Undead, Lull/soothe for the pull, and cleric's buffs.

But, il you want a tank solo class, you should prefer Shadow knight.

Have fun.

Zinramm
06-06-2011, 03:59 AM
Why?
Root.
Little heals
LOH > Harm touch
They may not be too uber compared to an SK, but they destroy undead zones
Play what you want to play, and have fun.

Bubbles
06-06-2011, 06:32 AM
Lets not also forget the massive amounts of deepwater armor simply sitting around gathering dust in east commons, too.

One of the bonuses to playing a plate class is the ability (once you save up some plat) to get some seriously nice gear at bargain prices. :)

Numbers_
06-06-2011, 06:45 AM
I played a paladin back in 1999-2000 as my main. They are a fun class in a group. Good group tank.

It's a lot easier here to get a good weapon than when I played way back when. I see ghoulbane (or better) going here for less than 400pp at times, and tons of cheap paladin only armor being traded.

Go with what appeals to you.

Swish
06-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Name is swishy human pal.

You and my enchanter are going to get confused :D

People pretty much covered it, arguably you tank better than a warrior for many levels with Flash of Light, stuns, rooting (if all else fails, and tanking with range aggro). Always see a lot of Ro armor in EC for sale waiting for buyers, and it does seem like tanks are lacking generally.

Just remember you are a hybrid so you do have an exp penalty on your shoulders, but its ignorable if you're really enjoying it :)

Good luck either way! :)

baalzy
06-06-2011, 01:35 PM
At lvl 57 paladins get Superior Healing, this puts them on-par with a Druid on healing powers until chloroblast gets added which isn't until a few months into Velious. Paladins can also mana-free ghetto heal with their DW helm, allowing them to give shaman an infinite mana pool. Plus, 90% raise at 59 isn't too shabby either.

Biggest downfall for paladins IMO is that they don't get as strong tank-race choices as SKs do.

Patch with Chloroblast in it: http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20010221a.html

karsten
06-06-2011, 02:02 PM
step 1: reroll a necro

step 2: solo like it's 2004 (and you're playing WoW)

Troy
06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm playing a paladin because I want to tank whilst doing more than hitting auto-attack and have more gear options than Obsidian Shards -> SSoYs and Dex gear for most of my 'life' - leaving SK and Paladin. Pally gear is cheaper, I like their looks better, and have less faction issues. Tried an Erudite SK for awhile, which is my 2nd favorite option, but finding out that you can't even get off Odus without a port or invis was kind of a deal breaker.

The XP penalty is ridiculous though, every hour I think about rerolling warrior.

xnolanx
06-06-2011, 03:37 PM
damn karsten.. haha you gonna go out like that?

karsten
06-06-2011, 03:46 PM
i think you guys might have missed the point of my post :)

if you're level 5 and complaining that you can't solo as a paladin, then reroll a necro, WoW style :)

Shaper
06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Well i hit lvl 7 last night. Granted the exp pen for being a hybrid is rough it cant be as bad as playing a troll or iksar. As for deePwater gear how much does that run? I have a few plat now.

Edit. As for soloing i ment at all lvls. Its not a big deal to me.

Troy
06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Mage is more WoW style.

/summon fire pet

/pet attack

/cast lvl 1 nuke when mob is at 20%

/repeat until 60

WizardEQ
06-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Tyrrion.

This guy really knows his stuff and how to play his class. Nice grouping with you in Unrest the other night even though we had that nasty "pull" by you know who. Aggro should always go to the highest bidder!

Anyways, if you're there any time soon would be a pleasure grouping with you again.

Xaxian

baalzy
06-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Well i hit lvl 7 last night. Granted the exp pen for being a hybrid is rough it cant be as bad as playing a troll or iksar. As for deePwater gear how much does that run? I have a few plat now.

Edit. As for soloing i ment at all lvls. Its not a big deal to me.

Paladin penalty: 40%

Troll/Iksar penalty: 20% which is then affected by whatever class/race penalties (warriors get a bonus, SK & Monk get penalties, shaman get no penalty or bonus)

Troll/Iksar SK penalty is something like 68% (penalties are multiplied, not added).

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24405 <- Thread on how Xp works currently on P99.

Alcandre
06-06-2011, 05:27 PM
prepatch from a few weeks ago i could solo frenzy/am since level 50, postpatch it took all my mana and down to 26% health to solo a dar. dont expect to do a whole lot of soloing

Shaper
06-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Didnt think it was 40%! Ah well. As for killing things i guess i need to make a few buds in game to run around with :). Seems like a fun challenge to get this guy to 60. Once i get ahold of a ghoulbane ill target the undead areas and milk what i can from them. Wish me luck lol!

etplante
06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I always enjoy grouping with paladins. Hopefully you stick it out as they are pretty scarce on the server imo. Grouped last night in KC with one as main healer. Group was Ranger (tank), nec, mag, mag, bard and pal with dw helm healing. Fast kills and almost no down time.

baalzy
06-07-2011, 12:23 PM
the nec was the main healer in that group... unless the nec was a total idiot.

Gustahn
06-07-2011, 02:35 PM
There is so much deepwater on this server, its damn near the price of ro.

There is so much deepwater people are sending tells to paladins trying to unload it.

etplante
06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
I just sell my dw stuff to a vendor. Not even worth trying to find a player to buy it.

the nec was the main healer in that group... unless the nec was a total idiot.

I guess I was a total idiot then.

Btw I didn't say I wasn't healing at all. I was invited to group as dps and was happy to do so. I used pact when it was necessary on adds. The rest of the time I was focusing on dps. But too bad you can't go back in time and rep me and show em how it could have been so much more effective. :rolleyes:

Shaper
06-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Ive had a bunch of help the last few days from people. last night Beesh gave me a ghoulbane some leggins and a few other things and a very nice necro (eruson) gave me a sarnak chest and a face slot . i finally hit lvl 8. if anyone does have the deepwater stuff i keep reading about let me know i have alittle plat i can pay with =).

-Swishy human pal.

Troy
06-07-2011, 07:19 PM
There is so much deepwater on this server, its damn near the price of ro.

It's cheaper than ro with the exception of the BP and Legs.

beeshma_nameless
06-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Haha swishy, you are becoming a twink :-P

Dury/Beesh.

Fourthmeal
06-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Someone twink me plz. I'm just a poor Paladite.

Salty
06-08-2011, 03:02 AM
shutup taco bell

Akim
06-08-2011, 03:09 AM
swishy, thanks for only dying 2 times in the group earlier, yeah I was your healer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwnJw-eyacA

Shaper
06-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Finally hit lvl 11 today, grinding away in wall groups in CB. hoping to catch a TR group later tonight. Being a paladin got wayyyy better once i could heal myself and limit down time a bit! granted i use all my mana and get myself back around 90% its better than bandaids lol.

-Swishy human pal

Tyrrion
06-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Just wanted to say, use Bind Wound as well if you are going to be self healing. It may cost a bit of cash at the lower levels, but getting that skill up is valuable, as well as the downtime it will save you from the amount of mana you'll save on healing yourself.

edit: Would you rather self heal to 90% and go oom, or bandage to 50% then self heal to 100% with about 40% mana left?

Shaper
06-08-2011, 08:28 PM
True. ill keep some bandaids on me =).

Spud
06-08-2011, 11:20 PM
If your looking to solo as a Paladin:

Step 1: save up enough plat for a ghoulbane

Step 2: go to Unrest and solo undead

Ghoulbane starts procing Dismiss Undead at lvl 20 which means you can efficiently solo undead for many levels. Seriously, GO TO UNREST, its so much better than Oasis, ESPCIALLY IF YOUR A PALADIN. just watch out for the trains.

Why play a Paladin really? They are excellent tanks and can hold aggro as good as any class by using flash of light and taunt. they can stun, heal nearly as good as druids/shamans and can pull by using lull.

Plus they get to use fire-swords and have cool looking armor.

beeshma_nameless
06-09-2011, 07:41 AM
If you are grouped with a magician, pester them to summon you bandages) Do remember that summoned stuff like bandages will disappear from your inventory once you log out (and are offline for 30 mins or so)

I Agree with what spud said about unrest: Take your gholbane to unrest and laugh your way to level 30 (and 32 also if you wish)! - my paladin Beesh did :-)

Danth
06-09-2011, 11:53 AM
I wonder if some of you folks don't play Paladins on Project1999. Flash of Light, as awesome as it was historically, simply doesn't work very well on here. Life as a Paladin can be rough until you have stun spells and enough mana to use them frequently--and even then aggro won't be as rock-solid as it was on Live. As with many groups using Warrior tanks, annoyance can sometimes be saved simply by rooting everything.

Paladins do not solo especially well beyond low levels. I *can* solo things at 50+, but it's a terribly slow and near-pointless exercise to do so. At all levels groups are preferred.

Paladins on P99, as on Live, are superb against undead at mid levels (damage against undead falls off, proportionally, at high levels--remember, no Slay Undead here). They're also the best tanks at high levels for groups pulling a lot of caster monsters and lots of things cast in Kunark. They have more ability to protect their groups than the other tanks have, and superior management of their survivability. We've all seen Paladins use LoH on themselves and live where another tank would have died. Paladins work exceedingly well with crowd control classes thanks to their variety of no-damage threat generation spells. 'Control' always feels to me like the operative word on Paladin tanking; the class doesn't have a Warrior's raw durability, or a Shadow Knights extreme versatility, but instead possesses an unrivaled ability to keep control of a situation as a tank.

Several of the Paladin's most important spells for 50+ are due to be added later, so the class is going to get better over time, not worse. Right now--early Kunark--was historically the nadir for the class. It's nice knowing things are going to get better. On the other hand, Paladins are never going to be in high demand in the raiding scene, so it's more of a group-centric class. If you pick it, do so with the above in mind.

So that's my take on it. In the end, the biggest reason to play the class is because you want to. That'll keep a player interested long after the guy who picked a class for power or to fill a needed job ends up burned out.

Danth

Kasilis
06-09-2011, 12:14 PM
I'am a lvl 1 naked paladin having troubles soloing.

Where is my ghoulbane??

corradojeff
06-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I wonder if some of you folks don't play Paladins on Project1999. Flash of Light, as awesome as it was historically, simply doesn't work very well on here.

Flash of light has been fixed and works great!
As long as I am closest in agro range I have the agro no matter what and with low mana cost, compared to stuns, you are not constantly OOM

On raids a palidans can, and usually are, the best tank for the planes trash. Being able to blind a mezzed mob an know for fact that you have the agro instead of the chanter is a large bonus.

Pals can solo in to the 30's with undead but after that its is very slow and you will need to group or at least duo for any real experience.

Doors
06-09-2011, 12:34 PM
At all levels groups are preferred.
Danth

wut

Shaper
06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
I really appreciate all the feedback and info :). Im currently lvl 12, going as quick as i can. Should i go to unrest at 14 or oasis for a while? As for LoH it has saved my butt more than a few times when we aggro too many legos or get that orcal + 2 lego pull on the bottom. All in all im enjoying the class :).

-Swishy human pal.

Estu
06-09-2011, 11:12 PM
I really appreciate all the feedback and info :). Im currently lvl 12, going as quick as i can. Should i go to unrest at 14 or oasis for a while? As for LoH it has saved my butt more than a few times when we aggro too many legos or get that orcal + 2 lego pull on the bottom. All in all im enjoying the class :).

-Swishy human pal.

Avoid Oasis. Unrest has a better ZEM and almost every mob is undead.

Tyrrion
06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I feel stupid about asking this, especially after someone gave my tanking props in this thread already (Thanks Xax!), but what's all this about Flash of Light tanking? I've never heard about this before.

All my tanking has been done mostly like a warrior so far, with yaulp, light heals, and ward undead thrown in. My experiences with Flash of Light usually sends a mob running blindly in circles, adding more than a few of his buddies or at least making the fight fairly unpleasant. Is there something I'm missing here?

guineapig
06-10-2011, 01:29 PM
As stated before, when a mob is blind it runs as if feared unless something is within melee range in which case it sticks to the closest character like glue.

It's an ultimate agro tool because it doesn't actually matter where everyone is on the agro list. It basically works like root (when in melee range) except that the tank can still position the mob as he/she sees fit as long as you are moving slowly enough for the blind mob to stay within range.

Tyrrion
06-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I see, I see... but this has no effect if there are multiple players with aggro within melee range, yes?

Fourthmeal
06-10-2011, 09:24 PM
wtb that erudite paladin shield, PM me plz

Chewboy
06-12-2011, 10:03 AM
He'll even pay you in copper

Maurk
06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
As stated before, when a mob is blind it runs as if feared unless something is within melee range in which case it sticks to the closest character like glue.

It's an ultimate agro tool because it doesn't actually matter where everyone is on the agro list. It basically works like root (when in melee range) except that the tank can still position the mob as he/she sees fit as long as you are moving slowly enough for the blind mob to stay within range.

This is still broken to shit btw.

guineapig
06-13-2011, 12:38 AM
This is still broken to shit btw.

If that's true then feel free to find the bug thread about it and bump it with some details. I don't currently play a paladin on the server so I'm just speaking from memory on how it worked on live.

Kyrus
09-08-2011, 08:26 PM
I've been considering starting a tank class after I want some variety from my necro (which will eventually happen)...this thread has me thinking seriously about rolling a pally...dwarf of course ;)

Sslaesha
10-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Soon as I hit 20 on my Pally and slapped on a ghoulbane I soloed Unrest from 20-40 in under two weeks. Had a blast too :)

Snaggles
10-02-2011, 09:15 PM
My wife soloed her pally to 54 in 2002. Unhasted and 2hr the whole way.

Yea its a boring game style and kills are are slow. Still, being virtually unkillable makes solo play kinda ez-mode ;).

beentheredonethat
10-03-2011, 03:05 PM
I have been in some very successful, yet unorthidox groups with Paladin's in the past. On my warrior I have been in a group with a Paladin, a Ranger, a Rogue, and a Bard with no healer and we held the Captain spawn in Karnor's no problem. Soloing in EQ is always slow, I would suggest finding a group of players and try to level with them. Grouping is the way to go unless your class is meant for soloing such as a Magician, Enchanter, or Necromancer.

Just asking, but why would enchanters be any good at solo? Their spells do very little damage, not very mana efficient. A mage usually can solo a lot stronger stuff than enchanter.

Enchanter is one of the few classes I have not played, so don't know much about them.

Softcore PK
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Enchanters can use charm to solo, it's very good exp.

pickled_heretic
10-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Just asking, but why would enchanters be any good at solo? Their spells do very little damage, not very mana efficient. A mage usually can solo a lot stronger stuff than enchanter.

Enchanter is one of the few classes I have not played, so don't know much about them.

charm 2 mobs = mob dps to 2 mobs simultaneously = most mana efficient and highest dps in the game

Snaggles
10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
You can solo better with other classes. Pure casters, most priests, a Bard even. The SK if given fear room does at least as well as a Pally but put them in a box and life gets scary.

Think about it though: You CAN solo at high levels.

Jack Sparrow: The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Gwence
10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
once epics hit pal/sk can solo pretty good without having to fear on certain mobs anyway.

Snaggles
10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
once epics hit pal/sk can solo pretty good without having to fear on certain mobs anyway.

Kinda. Like you said it depends on the place.

A knight class with the right gear can tank & spank blue cons for exp easily. Velks for example was a joke even without fearing mobs.

Inny's Curse is pretty awesome for duels, solo, and raids as it keeps your hps topped decent with vampiric embrace cooking. There are plenty of close to 1/1 ratio weapons that do just as good though. Still fear or aggro kiting for a SK make more sense.

A Pally has it much easier conventional plan. A root and Celestial Cleansing is very efficient on mana in tight quarters compared to 226 hp lifetaps and a couple dots. Plus a pally can fight stationary caster mobs and shut them down with stuns.