PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Pet aggro/pet chaining is broken

Harrison
07-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Body aggro a seafury via proximity and no casting/nuking/buffing/anything.

Send in pet.

Desummon pet to summon new one.

Pet has to do RIDICULOUS amounts of damage, proccing, and taunting to pull off said seafury.

This is functioning incorrectly.

Mouse
07-15-2011, 04:59 AM
yeah I agree, its pretty bad.

BlakeR22z
07-15-2011, 01:07 PM
I always assumed the pet must be somehow generating aggro for the caster, even if that's not how it's supposed to be.

If you try to kill something like Dino in OOT by chaining 4-5 pets it will get harder and harder for the pet to get aggro after each one, even if you cast nothing else that should be getting you aggro.

Harrison
07-15-2011, 01:19 PM
I always assumed the pet must be somehow generating aggro for the caster, even if that's not how it's supposed to be.

If you try to kill something like Dino in OOT by chaining 4-5 pets it will get harder and harder for the pet to get aggro after each one, even if you cast nothing else that should be getting you aggro.

That isn't supposed to happen, is the point :p

dali_lb
07-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Again ... yet another post about same bug.

summoned pet's taunt abillity is not working, and it hasn't like since start of p99, and the dev's nicely scoob right over this problem pretending its not there.

/rant ON

I havn't seen a single dev reply on any of these posts about pet agro, that is pretty vital for pet casters, but they do ask ingame for people with evidence of turnin text to Epic quests ....

how about trying to figure out long standing bugs before doing epic quests.
I can live with that epic's won't be in for another 6 months or so if you could use the time fixing some of the bugs that take up endlessly threadspace on forums with no single dev response.

/rant off

Harrison
07-16-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't care about taunting as much as melee and procs of pets not producing sufficient aggro.

Taunting working is a plus for me, not a requirement.

Mirakk82
07-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Working as intended for this server, is the conclusion I've come to. There's no interest in making pets work they way they should be on p99. At least a token GM response would be nice, but it's been painfully silent. Same goes for the messed up aggro equations for DoTs.

Sadly, this is not classic :(

Harrison
07-16-2011, 07:53 PM
If it was a minor issue I wouldn't give a shit, really.

But this is pretty big...it's a mechanic an entire class relies on to effectively level from 4-60.

Rogean
07-16-2011, 08:00 PM
This is actually working as intended. When a pet dies, depops, or whatever, a portion of the aggro (how much exactly depending on if it is a summoned or charmed pet) is transferred to it's owner.

Harrison
07-16-2011, 08:13 PM
I can't see the numbers specifically, but it seems like the amount transferred isn't proportionate to the amount the pet CAN generate in a timely manner. (If you get my point?)

Unless specific mechanics changes have happened on live this doesn't occur there as of now, either. I never had a problem chaining pets on progression, or years earlier even.

Mirakk82
07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
The tactic doesn't work as well as it did on live, but I can see why a developer would want that to be the case. Chain petting is a very powerful strategy.

I am happy that we got a response in here at least. Rogean, do you think that pets are generating as much aggro in P99 as they're supposed to? There have been a lot of threads on this subject as well. Just trying to see if it's on the to do list, or if it's working as intended.

Additionally, as long as you're about, I'd like to inquire about the poison/disease counter aggro. It seems that spells like poison bolt pull a disproportionate amount of aggro while solo or in a group.

Harrison
07-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Poison bolts were always huge aggro.

Don't derail the pet aggro thread >_<

Mirakk82
07-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Okay, I won't derail that, but I'll dispute it quietly ;)

dali_lb
07-18-2011, 04:29 AM
This is actually working as intended. When a pet dies, depops, or whatever, a portion of the aggro (how much exactly depending on if it is a summoned or charmed pet) is transferred to it's owner.

Ya that part is known and have always been a part of chain casting pets, but you have to admit that when Pet taunt (summoned) is not working, and melee attacks generating nearly no agro, and pet spells (earth root) gets resisted - and still generate no agro, it gets very hard to use this tactics.

Pet chaining was always risky also on live, but atm on P99 it's a total PITA to practice

dali_lb
07-18-2011, 04:33 AM
I don't care about taunting as much as melee and procs of pets not producing sufficient aggro.

Taunting working is a plus for me, not a requirement.

If Taunting worked, you propably would only notice that pet seemed to accumulate a little less agro during a fight that expected.

Try logging on to live and test what difference it makes when you turn pet taunt on and off

Tulvinous
07-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Did this all the time on live with my mage, except I was smart enough to know earth pets are better and used them for this strategy... once root lands the problem is solved.

Haul
07-19-2011, 10:28 PM
absolutely seems broken

Jify
07-21-2011, 08:15 PM

That's can't be correct.....

As a bard on live you could charm something, send it in, and everything woulda insta-social agro it. If you recharmed it and sent it in, same thing would happen.

You gain agro for nuking mobs, smacking em around, but you definitely do not get a "transferred portion" of your pets agro. :)

Raistin
07-22-2011, 03:08 PM
I remember it being this way originally on live, and then changing it much later down the line. But as late as velious i remember mages getting fucked cause something would happen and their pet would die, and when that hate would transfer back the tank would lose agro, mage would die, and agro would go right back to the tank.

Jify
07-27-2011, 08:14 AM
I remember it being this way originally on live, and then changing it much later down the line. But as late as velious i remember mages getting fucked cause something would happen and their pet would die, and when that hate would transfer back the tank would lose agro, mage would die, and agro would go right back to the tank.

This was actually a common happenstance in that:

1) Your pet would actually out agro/dmg the tank, and have the most agro in the group.
2) As a hardcore magician, you realized that your pet was the best ever, and therefore, had awesome agro capabilities
3) Due to mechanics, the nasty bad mob you were killing would instead bash on the silly warrior, and not your high agro pet
4) HOWEVER, if your pet died, (ie: highest on agro list), agro then transferred to the 2nd highest person, (ie: the mage!)

Soo, if the agro list was: Pet, Mage, Ranger, Bard, Monk, Warrior

Then as long as the Ranger, Bard, Monk, or Warrior were in agro range, the NPC was content to stay, because it was also in melee range of the pet, which had all the agro. But like I said, pet dies, and instantly the Magician is up shit creek.

;)