PDA

View Full Version : i'm thinking of joining :/

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 01:30 PM
When I heard about red 1999 I got all excited for EQ and posted here for a while. Then it became apparent that it was never going to happen, because there has been like no official word about it even being considered. So whatever.

Is EQ worth playing on a blue server? I mean I always enjoyed the pve, and the pve was MOST of the game on the red servers too. But pvp added depth and challenge to it all, which is what kept me coming back. How flat and boring is blue, honestly? Are there any roleplayers here besides that iksar guild? Is it fun to roleplay when you can't even fight for what your character believes?

And if I'm going blue I have no idea what class to pick. Suggestions?

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Actually, I suppose that this game is still EQ. And though we are greatly limited on a blue server, there is fun to be had. Even on a red server, you had to seek out and make your own fun. So here I will accept the limitations and run with them.

I know the server is very decently populated (compared even to EQ Mac), but how is the level distribution? Will I be able to find groups easily, from 1-60?

The reason I ask is that the more I thought about it, the more I felt that a pacifist character would be fun here. Not as fun as on red obviously, but doable. So I will be making either a shaman, cleric or druid. Which would you suggest? I'm leaning toward Druid, as ports help when making friends and I will be dependent upon other for leveling. And I could do some things in groups besides buff/heal, like snare.

idk is this dumb

Harrison
07-23-2011, 01:56 PM
You get to play here without all the hacking, immature mongoloids, training, exploiting, and general douchebaggery that comes with the terrible pvp community.

Win/win.

greatdane
07-23-2011, 01:58 PM
I started out on a blue server back in the day, and after a year or so I went to PvP. Played on TZ and later SZ, and I couldn't imagine playing on a bluebie server where there were no risks and nothing bad could happen. It seemed weak and pointless. I then slowly came to realize how utterly pitiful EQ's design is for PvP, it's so monstrously bad that I can't imagine why I ever spent a minute on it. There are merits to the harshness and consequences of EQ's PvP (because it's what makes the PvE rewarding as well), but the class balance and combat mechanics are just hopeless for the purpose of establishing a meaningful PvP environment. The game was never meant for PvP, and it was added as an afterthought and never worked properly. Not only is it so hugely imbalanced that meaningful competitiveness is impossible, but the fact that you can cause so much damage to others and waste so much of their time by griefing attracts the absolute rectal leakage of humanity because anyone who actually cares about the sport and challenge of quality PvP has moved on to more modern games that can provide it with the tools and knowledge that didn't exist when EQ was created. This aforementioned demographic of unsuccesful abortions is also known as the VZ/TZ community, and is the same community you'd find on red99. People play on Project 1999 to experience what Everquest was actually designed for: a challenging and punishing but therefore rewarding game where you depended on other people and had to cooperate as a community in order to thrive. If that appeals to you, you'll enjoy it here. If you want good PvP, play League of Legends or something. If you want to inflict disheartened feelings on other human beings in order to briefly forget out your own cripplingly low self esteem, try one of the hamfisted efforts at recreating EQ PvP, I think I heard someone was opening VZ/TZ again.

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 02:01 PM
You get to play here without all the hacking, immature mongoloids, training, exploiting, and general douchebaggery that comes with the terrible pvp community.

Win/win.

Huh? Pretty sure hacking is more common on blue servers. And at any rate, it's an mmo. Anytime you get large groups of people together there will be fefs. Not sure why blue players always felt that way about the red players. When my friend tried to get me to join him on the luclin server, I was scammed out of his fungi tunic :/

It always seemed to me that the blue players were more immature. Feeling a need to let us reds know that they were more mature, all the while wanting to play the game with fewer challenges and less depth.

But what do I know, anyway? :P

Harrison
07-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Huh? Pretty sure hacking is more common on blue servers. And at any rate, it's an mmo. Anytime you get large groups of people together there will be fefs. Not sure why blue players always felt that way about the red players. When my friend tried to get me to join him on the luclin server, I was scammed out of his fungi tunic :/

It always seemed to me that the blue players were more immature. Feeling a need to let us reds know that they were more mature, all the while wanting to play the game with fewer challenges and less depth.

But what do I know, anyway? :P

Move along, troll.

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 02:08 PM
I started out on a blue server back in the day, and after a year or so I went to PvP. Played on TZ and later SZ, and I couldn't imagine playing on a bluebie server where there were no risks and nothing bad could happen. It seemed weak and pointless. I then slowly came to realize how utterly pitiful EQ's design is for PvP, it's so monstrously bad that I can't imagine why I ever spent a minute on it. There are merits to the harshness and consequences of EQ's PvP (because it's what makes the PvE rewarding as well), but the class balance and combat mechanics are just hopeless for the purpose of establishing a meaningful PvP environment. The game was never meant for PvP, and it was added as an afterthought and never worked properly. Not only is it so hugely imbalanced that meaningful competitiveness is impossible, but the fact that you can cause so much damage to others and waste so much of their time by griefing attracts the absolute rectal leakage of humanity because anyone who actually cares about the sport and challenge of quality PvP has moved on to more modern games that can provide it with the tools and knowledge that didn't exist when EQ was created. This aforementioned demographic of unsuccesful abortions is also known as the VZ/TZ community, and is the same community you'd find on red99. People play on Project 1999 to experience what Everquest was actually designed for: a challenging and punishing but therefore rewarding game where you depended on other people and had to cooperate as a community in order to thrive. If that appeals to you, you'll enjoy it here. If you want good PvP, play League of Legends or something. If you want to inflict disheartened feelings on other human beings in order to briefly forget out your own cripplingly low self esteem, try one of the hamfisted efforts at recreating EQ PvP, I think I heard someone was opening VZ/TZ again.

But see, that's just the thing. EQ for me was always partly about realism. Or at least realism as much as you can get in a fantastical environment. I was never very good at pvp, and I probably died more than I PKed. But it didn't matter, really. It's not like dying in EQ is something so horrible, you know? Especially without exp loss.

The classes were unbalanced. So? It's an mmo, you have the same classes available to you as the enemies. Find some friends :)

The fact that you can group with people balanced pvp imo. An mmo balanced around 1v1 pvp seems so silly. And the fights were often meaningful, I had some epic battles over raid targets. Skill and gear both factored into how well you do in pvp. Specifically how well you work as a team.

*sigh*

nostalgia

edit: i didn't really make my point..

Right, realism. I liked how on red, who your character was actually mattered. I wasn't just some bard that helped kill npcs and gained loot and made friends. I was an elf, first and foremost. And I attacked all non-elves on sight for their transgressions against nature. I had real enemies, as well as friends. And it was soooooooo fun :D

does this make sense

deakolt
07-23-2011, 02:25 PM
PurelyElf and Harrison sure do love their rice

Ektar
07-23-2011, 02:29 PM
idkkkk pvp is retarded. I always thought this but never wanted to reroll on another server. The prime example is when the 3rd guild on the server broke up from a band of 6 people who constantly disrupted their raids. CH rotation going well? oh harm touch you die and the raid wipes lols.

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 02:33 PM
ANYWAY! About the being able to find groups 1-60 as a pacifist druid??

Alex
07-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Take a stroll through the pvp section of the forums, give your head a shake and rethink which community, blue or red, is better. There are some chill red dudes, but fuck I've never seen so much hate and volatility from a group of gamers before.

JayDee
07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
P99 was fun for the first few months when everything was new again. The magic has long since died and it is now just a tediously boring, time consuming grind.

Waiting in lines for spawns and non-contested raid mobs (boils down to who got their first and willing to waste more of their life ala poopsock) will inevitably wear on you if you have grown accustom to eq-style pvp.

Dravingar
07-23-2011, 03:49 PM
non-contested raid mobs

We have a rotation that I didn't hear about?

SupaflyIRL
07-23-2011, 03:52 PM
I like how the alert icon was chosen for this thread as if to say "Alert! Internal monologue thread ahead!"

JayDee
07-23-2011, 04:02 PM
We have a rotation that I didn't hear about?

Waiting in line while crossing your fingers in hopes the opposing guild will wipe due to incompetency ≠ contesting a raid mob.

Harrison
07-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Waiting in line while crossing your fingers in hopes the opposing guild will wipe due to incompetency ≠ contesting a raid mob.

Blame the no-talent clowns who started sitting at spawnpoints again because their utter and complete lack of ability to mobilize better than other guilds.

Alex
07-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I imagine mobilization has slot to do with the real life responsibilities of a guild, not just skill.

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I like how the alert icon was chosen for this thread as if to say "Alert! Internal monologue thread ahead!"

I like the tags!

At any rate, I made my druid. I'm off to experience the blue side of things!

btw does anyone know how to switch the key layout in game from eng usa to spanish? my keys are in the wrong places!

Pico
07-23-2011, 05:08 PM
Taunting new players out of joining the server. Can Harrison be banned already please?

Amelinda
07-23-2011, 05:13 PM

When is the last time you attended or witnessed one of these raids?

i'm pretty sure the mobs are contested. unless im blind.

Harrison
07-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Taunting new players out of joining the server. Can Harrison be banned already please?

Check their post history, genius. They're not new.

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty new. Most of my posts are me reminiscing about my time on eq live!

level 1 druid lfg in gfay

Pico
07-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Check their post history, genius. They're not new.

Ah right, he registered 1 month ago. Clearly deserves your angst when he asks a few questions about the server.

GMs you should consider recruiting Harrison to promote the server, he does a swell job at it.

Harrison
07-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Ah right, he registered 1 month ago. Clearly deserves your angst when he asks a few questions about the server.

GMs you should consider recruiting Harrison to promote the server, he does a swell job at it.

Huh? Pretty sure hacking is more common on blue servers.

He's trolling.

I answered his question about what the server was like in comparison to vztz before that.

vinx
07-23-2011, 05:43 PM

Win/win.
roflolol
I didnt even make it past page 1 and had to laugh!
ok back to page 1

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Mm there is more hacking on blue because fewer people feel cheated by it and such. On a red server everyone is filming the cheaters and complaining to gms. It's just more obvious on red, so more people get caught. Which is a good thing!

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Ding level 4! Thanks to a kind necro and druid :)

Omw to 60 as a pacifist; I'm out-bluing the rest of you!

Curmudgen
07-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Be a peaceful activist!

PurelyElf
07-23-2011, 09:13 PM
No blood for oil! Red server or BUST! Drop acid, not bombs!

imo