PDA

View Full Version : What made EQ pvp the second greatest MMO game ever...

dusk883
08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
and how Rogean could make it the best ever: Make it like Ultima Online in the early days!

Spending time in this forum about how much fun EQ pvp fun is ...is like telling Noah that the Flood is coming so I won't bother. Risk/Reward, guild animosities, etc. Done.

What made Ultima Online, IMO, the greatest pvp game of all time?

If you were pk'ed, you were enabled to contribute to a bounty. Any and all players killed by a player could contribute to this bounty. This meant that if someone killed you and you had a bounty on your head, when someone killed you they could loot your head and take it to town and collect ALL of the bounty placed on your head from your last collection. In town, you could check a board or NPC and see the Top 20 bounties on the server. Murderers would make it a goal to get the biggest bounty on their own heads, "anti-pk"s would bounty hunt. The game was ON. Someone was always standing in front of the board to mull over who was to be hunted.

If you initiated and pk'ed more than 4-8 (number varied over time
) people in any 8 hour period, your name became RED and "Murderer" was appended to your name text. If you were RED, everyone wanted to kill you because you likely had a huge bounty on your head. It would take a full real time week to get rid of the RED tag, logged in or not. Any pvp deaths, you or the other guys, meant a reset of the week long RED tag. This wasn't a "punishment" to pvpers, this was actually PROMOTING it, IMO. I believe this was an effort to slow down the rate of slaughters on the Napa server, there just wasn't anything more cool than walking into an inn where 7 murderers were hanging out. The murderer brotherhood. Wouldnt be too long before a few guilds would show up to see about getting a 7x bounty however. Good times.

If you were RED and then killed by players, you suffered "stat loss"... the eq equivalent would mean bigtime exp loss. As a murderer, when I died, I would lose 3 or so attributes from 100% down to 97 or so % which meant WEEKS of playing to get that stat back to 100% (grandmaster). The risk / reward was unreal in UO. The end effect was that you could be relaxed and pvp all day, sometimes spare someone's pathetic life once in a while because you didn't want to get nailed with the RED tag quite yet. Then, the thrill would hit just before you nailed some poor guy to the carpet because you were about to hit yourself with a self-inflicted red tag for a week.

I think most of the pvp'ers loved accountability more than anything else. This is why we love YELLOW text. This is why we don't want CC enforcement, even if the usual pvp forum clown is always putting it across like he's some god at pvp. Well, let's put accountability in the game and we see for sure, IMO.

I know Rogean isn't likely to import UO style pvp culture but I had so much fun in that world that it's worth a shot at bringing it up IMO.

beentheredonethat
08-25-2011, 06:17 PM
It was the only game that did this at that time.

PVP was never a strong point of EQ, it was just something that got very little attention from Sony. It was never even balanced or fixed much. There were a lot of very one sided encounters.

Skrimp
08-25-2011, 06:46 PM
No doubt Ultima Online was the best pvp game (early days) of all time.

I can tell stories about that games pvp to people who have never played any online games in their lifetimes and listen to them laugh and enjoy the thought of the madness that ensued back then. What a great game.

IMO PvP should be the focus of the game. Lets face it. EQ PvE is mostly the same thing from start to finish. You focus on getting better gear so you can handle harder encounters, so you can get better gear, so you can handle harder encounters. I get it. But eventually at lvl 60 when content has its limits, pvp is always there and always has been.

Its what you make of it and it gives you a reason to excell in pve and get better gear. So you can kill more people, or kill certain people, whatever. Just my opinion

Misto
08-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Are you retarded.

If you want to play Ultima Online go play an UO emu.

raptorak
08-25-2011, 07:14 PM
EQ pvp is like Duke Nukem Forever multiplayer - fun but retardedly broken, let's keep it that way.

The only thing I disagreed with on UO was the stats loss for the Red players. It was bad enough that they were hunted incessently by the predominantly Blue pop without being punished further. UO was best when it had Blue/Grey/Red and bounties, and hopefully we will get another game of that ilk some day. Wouldn't work in EQ though, because you can't get one of the best weapons in the game by hacking a tree down and carving a bow out of it.

Stats loss as well, UO wasn't like EQ - stats were not so difficult to raise, more they were difficult to balance until they added the locks.

Cwall
08-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Is this a really elaborate troll attempt?

raptorak
08-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Pretty much haha. I quit UO for EQ. EQ was better than UO in 1999 and always will be.

But UO had some great ideas, I like the skill based system rather than class based. IIRC it was 700 skill points max and you could choose to level any of seemingly hundred (with only about 20-30 really useful ones).

UO 1997 and EQ 1999 (2001 :P) should get together and have a baby. It would be a PVP and PVE nightmare (in a good way).