PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Dropping Coins

Daldaen
09-12-2011, 01:52 AM
I'm guessing this fits into the "Its builts into the client we cannot change it" category, but...

Dropping coins on the ground is classic.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=304

Posted Nov 6th 2001

This was posted over at the developer's corner: There are a number of scams out there where nefarious inviduals attempt to get people to perform a series of operations that results in the victim unknowingly dropping their coin on the ground. In order to help our players avoid these scams, we're taking action in the patch on Tuesday [note -- the patch is actually Wednesday]. We first considered popping up a confirmation box when attempting to drop coin on the ground, however upon reflection we could not determine a reason why anyone would want to do this, except perhaps when attempting to "self-trade" items and coin between characters. However dropping things on the ground is as you can imagine an extremely unsafe and unsupported way to trade items, and has created more headaches for players and our CS staff than it has done them good. To that end, beginning on Tuesday the dropping of coinage will no longer be allowed by the client. Players will of course still be able to destroy it if they wish, for instance, to releave themselves of unwanted copper. We look forward to hearing your comments. If there are any reasons that dropping coinage should be allowed that we haven't thought of, please reply and let us know.

maximum
09-12-2011, 07:36 PM
I think this is something to do with the CLIENT, not the server. Look through the Patch Notes from yesteryear; I think there may be a mention of it.

Phallax
09-12-2011, 09:15 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8652&highlight=coin

long discussion thread on this.

Daldaen
09-13-2011, 02:09 AM
What I gathered from that was...

It was exploitable to dupe coins, and if too many dropped it could crash the zone, plus my prior assumption of "Hard to fix" was correct.

If this server doesn't use the save every 30 seconds deal (which I'm 99% sure it doesn't) the duping wouldn't be a problem. And Hard to fix has been overcome, see dark boned skeletons :P.