PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: When Attacked player attacking dosnt show up on targeting window

UncleOzzy
10-05-2011, 08:38 AM
When you are attacked by another player there name should show up in your targeting window, but it dosnt..

nilbog
10-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Interesting. I do remember whatever hit me being targeted. Is that not how it's working?

One of my first good eq memories was fighting a rabid wolf.. and I was like.. oh no probs I have lay on hands. So I target myself preparing to press lay on hands. The wolf hits me again, re-targeting it, and blowing my LOH.

Bockscar
10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
What? You only target whoever is hitting you if you had no target at the time.

nilbog
10-05-2011, 11:36 AM
What? You only target whoever is hitting you if you had no target at the time.

That's how it works on eqlive now, but I don't think that's how it always worked.

I believe the auto-targeting code originally functioned differently. i.e., if you were trying to do something beneficial (heal someone), and you targeted them, if an npc hit you prior to you starting to cast the spell, it would switch targets to the npc.

Would be impossible to prove unless its in patch notes I guess. I do see why they would have changed it though.

Bockscar
10-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Think about what you're saying. Any fast-hitting melee or pet could just walk up and start attacking someone, rendering them incapable of really targeting anyone else? I certainly have no recollection of this "feature," nor does it make any logical sense at all. It would basically be nearly impossible to attack or cast anything on anyone except for the guy attacking you. The concept of forcing a target makes no sense whatsoever. Any dual-wielder with haste would render a healer completely useless in PvP, and any pet class would automatically win virtually any fight because the opponent would be forced to target the pet every other second. A tank would have no control over who they target in PvE as it would switch around wildly whenever each mob hits, and assisting would be completely pointless. It was never that way. The game only applies a target for you if you're attacked while you have no target.

nilbog
10-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Think about what you're saying. Any fast-hitting melee or pet could just walk up and start attacking someone, rendering them incapable of really targeting anyone else? I certainly have no recollection of this "feature," nor does it make any logical sense at all. It would basically be nearly impossible to attack or cast anything on anyone except for the guy attacking you. The concept of forcing a target makes no sense whatsoever. Any dual-wielder with haste would render a healer completely useless in PvP, and any pet class would automatically win virtually any fight because the opponent would be forced to target the pet every other second. A tank would have no control over who they target in PvE as it would switch around wildly whenever each mob hits, and assisting would be completely pointless. It was never that way. The game only applies a target for you if you're attacked while you have no target.

Not trying to argue, but I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Anecdotal memory:

If you were idly standing around, and you were doing nothing but targeting yourself, your target would switch to an npc that hit you. If you were already autoattacking a (legal) target, or casting a spell on a target, your target box would not change. Currently if you're standing around with yourself targeted, your target doesn't switch to the npc attacking you.

Additionally, I said I understand why it would have been changed. I am not sure how long that lasted, if it was only a bug during a patch, if this is the mechanic that made it work, but I do remember it happening.

Bockscar
10-05-2011, 12:15 PM
That still doesn't make much sense. People would barely be able to heal themselves while fighting. They'd have to re-target themselves with every attempt and start casting before another hit lands. It's an absurd notion. If that was ever in the game - and I have no memory of it at all, nor has anyone ever mentioned such a feature anywhere that I've seen in my life - then it must have been for a very short period of time. Reason enough to not implement it here.

nilbog
10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Cool. I like to discuss eq mechanics. Even short-lived ones that no longer exist.

There are a myriad of small things that people would argue at length never existed, but I know worked. It's as exploitable in pvp as opening a trade window with clerics while they were trying to heal (interrupting their spell). Then came along 'you may not trade with this person right now' etc. Doesn't really matter because I said I understand why it would have changed.

Lasher
10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Cool. . It's as exploitable in pvp as opening a trade window with clerics while they were trying to heal (interrupting their spell). Then came along 'you may not trade with

Did it interupt? I did this alot and dont remember it interupting the main goals for me was to 1) annoy the caster and cause interference 2) for the caster to lose the target they wanted to heal or nuke since forcing a trade made you target the person whos trying to trade with you.

but i dont recall being able to do a trade mid cast, you would get a message like im too busy blah blah. Obviously all anecdotal

Harrison
10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
It did, and it also auto targeted the person who attempted it. Thus, they probably spammed the heal button thinking it just a fizzle and then would heal you.

Lasher
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
It did, and it also auto targeted the person who attempted it. Thus, they probably spammed the heal button thinking it just a fizzle and then would heal you.

a trade window would pop up so dont people are just ignoring the trade window and thinking they are just fizzling

Harrison
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
It would usually pop up and cancel so quick they wouldn't see it. Trust me, I saw it regularly. I refused to use it, but that's how our guild used to fuck up the clerics on competition's raids.