PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Enchanter Aggro

mourning
12-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Enchanter aggro seems very high on alot of spells compared to what it was on live.

Nuke line : Very high, i realize the stun component adds but this is way out of wack. I pull agro routinely by nuking at 30%.

Mez line : Should have a much higher chance to memblur the target, also memblur seems useless compared to live.

Slow : Maybe a touch too high.

Resisted Spells : Were these always this high aggro? I cannot remember this one.

Excerpt about the nukes from an old guide (available on p99 wiki)

Open with Tashan, killing magic resistance and pulling the mob. Take a hit to put your pet in (I was calling him "the shiny guy" at this point in my career), then back out. Drop your DOT (Suffocating Sphere) on the mob if you like, though later on you're going to get out of this habit, then watch the fight a sec. Now toss on that nuke. Many times, the first nuke won't be enough to make the mob charge, so just wait for that ungodly recast, and toss another one. This time it will charge. I've never seen a mob take two without charging unless I let my pet really tear it up before nuking (meaning pet probably won't survive the fight). Now at this point, you have a very pissed off mob rushing you, and you must remain calm, because two things are happening right now:

-Currently the pet cannot hold agro over 1 nuke, and not over a tash/dot unless you root the mob first and wait while it beats on it.

-This includes the larger problem of pet agro not working correctly, even a body pull , the pet must do at least 15% or so of the health before it switches, this is with a mage fire pet dding as well.

EDIT : I looked through the past posts and it seems there are quite a few others about these problems with not much dev response/awareness. Sorry if you already know about it, but it deserves a second look.

pickled_heretic
12-13-2011, 04:20 PM
i don't know how reliable that source is, a sentence later he calls the enchanter pet a rogue. i've never heard of enchanter pets backstabbing, ever.

Youre pet is wailing on the mob from behind. As a rogue, he actually does more damage to the creatures back consistently.

mourning
12-13-2011, 04:25 PM
i don't know how reliable that source is, a sentence later he calls the enchanter pet a rogue. i've never heard of enchanter pets backstabbing, ever.

I think its early game syndrome, where people thought harmony gave you mana regen etc.

Many people called the enc pets "rogues" because they have very low hp and good dmg, he didn't ever say they "backstab".

More of a roleplay thing than a mechanics thing.

engelbert
12-13-2011, 04:31 PM
yes i group with enchanters and have noticed this problem time and time again

plz fix

pickled_heretic
12-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I think its early game syndrome, where people thought harmony gave you mana regen etc.

yes, i know. my point is that this person is not a reliable witness. he also says "watch the fight a sec" in between tashing and nuking. how long is a second?

Migs351
12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Some of the ENC pets were actually a Rogue class when summoned, but never given the actual Backstab ability. This was of course confirmed by ShowEQ and/or MQ2, but the way you could tell which pets were NOT Warriors is that taunt didn't always happen with every Enchanter pets. :)

As to the agro issues. It varies. I do think that the resist agro is perhaps slightly too high, but I also think it depends on your tank. For example, an SK tank can hold agro from you pretty easily, where a warrior will lose it a bit easier. But if you're using your pet as a tank, (or trying to) the taunting of the pet just isn't good enough, especially at lower levels, simply because of failed taunts... Taunt itself does very little agro, but the function of taunt is to immediately put you to the top of the agro list, regardless of numbers. So he might get agro, but depending on what you have on the mob, and how often you're nuking, you could regain agro very quickly.

It's always been that way.

Nuking does also seem slightly high, I shouldn't be able to pull agro from anyone if they've done 50% of the damage with only a single spell. (i.e. pet)

But I personally have already grown accustomed to that and plan for it.

All of that said, the only things I think needs slight (and I mean slight) adjusting here is nuke agro, resist agro and the previously mentioned mem blur chance being raised a bit. (it fails far too often)

Everything else seems almost right on.

mourning
12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
My pet or any pet for that matter is very messed up on agro.

Mez had a decent chance to memblur on classic live aswell.

Migs351
12-14-2011, 07:12 PM
My pet or any pet for that matter is very messed up on agro.

Mez had a decent chance to memblur on classic live aswell.

Let me rephrase my bit on pet agro and taunt.

Pet agro is jumpy and always was because of the failed taunts. As I said before, Taunt does one thing, put the taunter at an agro level just above the highest persons agro count. If you're already AT the top, it does basically nothing. It doesn't actually increase hate by like a set number or something. So even though you see "Taunting attacker" a bunch of times, don't assume that increases his agro level more than if you DIDN'T see them...

There is a way to see taunt actually work... If the following 3 conditions are met:

1.) You or someone other than your pet currently has agro.
2.) The mob you're fighting can talk. (basically any humanoid)
3.) Pet says "Taunting attacker" and the taunt works.

The mob will say something like "I'll teach you to interfere with me, Gebeker000." If the above 3 are true, regardless of whether or not there are players standing by the mob, the mob will say that. BUT, keep in mind that even though the pet now has highest agro, if there are any players standing by the mob, the mob will STILL target and attack the PLAYER with the highest agro regardless of how much agro any pet has on it.

But because taunt only puts the pet basically 1 point above the highest, if you take spell action against the mob(intentional or not, like a dot) or sit down right away, you're likely to take agro right back, real fast, because the spells do more agro than a few swings(and misses) from the pet. And let's face it, the chanter pet is weak and can't do that much damage(agro) in order to keep up with that much spell agro.

But again, I still think that nuke agro is a bit too high, at least at the low levels (as I'm still only 21 on this server now)

As to the mem blur on mez's... It did have a chance, but I wouldn't say a "decent chance."

BUT it DOES feel like a lot less of a chance here than it did on live, I agree.

My rough guess is it's currently about 3-5%, when it should probably be more like 8 or 10%.

mourning
12-15-2011, 04:14 PM
i should probably mention this is on the PvP server.

dali_lb
12-20-2011, 06:02 AM
You're completely right, that this issue has been put up numerous times before, and the dev's usually just ignore it. Prolly because they don't know exactly how to fix it.

if you search a bit around for chanter issues:

1. Mezz'es are working, apart from their chance to memblur the target.
2. Memblur isn't working, or at least working very poorly (reoccuring amnesia actually do work sometimes).

3. As far as i remember (I didn't play from the very start of p99) the dagger trick was never live on p99 .. correct me if I'm wrong about this... On live in the early days, giving the pet a dagger made the pets attack delay much lower, wich gave it both higher dps and significantly better taunt abillity, so you could both dot and nuke a couple times before mob started chasing you.

Maybe we arent remembering all the agrevations but mostly the fun times from the early EQ years, but still... enchanter spells in general do seem to cause more agro than on live. You have to have a good tank/taunter, even if the only thing you throw at mob is tashan/slow.

My hopes is, that with Velius propably arriving some times next year on p99, is that they have some kind of version control with the p99 project, as the game is becomming closer and closer to "real" classic.

Would love to see a new incarnation of p99 with all the fixes and work that has been done over the last couple years.

mourning
12-20-2011, 10:51 PM
You're completely right, that this issue has been put up numerous times before, and the dev's usually just ignore it. Prolly because they don't know exactly how to fix it.

if you search a bit around for chanter issues:

1. Mezz'es are working, apart from their chance to memblur the target.
2. Memblur isn't working, or at least working very poorly (reoccuring amnesia actually do work sometimes).

3. As far as i remember (I didn't play from the very start of p99) the dagger trick was never live on p99 .. correct me if I'm wrong about this... On live in the early days, giving the pet a dagger made the pets attack delay much lower, wich gave it both higher dps and significantly better taunt abillity, so you could both dot and nuke a couple times before mob started chasing you.

Maybe we arent remembering all the agrevations but mostly the fun times from the early EQ years, but still... enchanter spells in general do seem to cause more agro than on live. You have to have a good tank/taunter, even if the only thing you throw at mob is tashan/slow.

My hopes is, that with Velius propably arriving some times next year on p99, is that they have some kind of version control with the p99 project, as the game is becomming closer and closer to "real" classic.

Would love to see a new incarnation of p99 with all the fixes and work that has been done over the last couple years.

Agreed, the work that has been done is extremely good, I just wish we could get a gm feedback on this.