PDA

View Full Version : 60 Necromancers in Velious

Safon
09-23-2012, 03:26 AM
So I am beginning to regret maining a necro. He is approaching lvl 60, but it seems like beyond levelling easily solo, necros are nothing special. Then again I am by no means an expert or veteran, so I want to ask the vets here what is good about being a 60 necro come Velious.

We aren't much more than a safety belt/mana battery on raids as usual I assume, but can we do some fun/impressive solo kills or anything?

Cippofra
09-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Necros and shaman are the kings of single target soloing. Its hard to recognize at first, but you are a jack of all trades, similar to a bard. Cc, dps, heal, mana battery, even pulling. Some necros like to gear for stamina and this even makes them decent at tanking in a pinch. Your usefulness lies in the fact that you are the most versatile class in the game. When you get your specliazed pets after 50 you'll be amazed at the things youre capable of

LordFresh
09-23-2012, 10:18 AM
You are great for groups and solo. Although you are needed for raids in velious (mana battery) you are no fun on raids. You will be hiding with the clerics. Necros are cool for everything other then raiding.

Nordenwatch
09-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Necros can charm undead. This makes you one of the best DPS in CERTAIN raids as well as providing all these versatile services.

Necros are great solo, but I think they shine most in duos with shamans or enchanters, or even clerics.

LordFresh
09-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Necros can charm undead. This makes you one of the best DPS in CERTAIN raids as well as providing all these versatile services.

Necros are great solo, but I think they shine most in duos with shamans or enchanters, or even clerics.

What velious raid has undead to charm?

Splorf22
09-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Well it wouldn't be fair if you could play the best class for raiding AND soloing AND grouping, right?

Swish
09-23-2012, 12:36 PM
If you're in a guild that raids, that's half the battle I think...so many necros out there though!

davedeck42
09-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Velk maybe? i know there are some specs around lord bob.

Calabee
09-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Your usefulness lies in the fact that you are the most versatile class in the game.

HAHAHAHahahahahah...ha..

I know a few bards who would like to proove you otherwise, me being one of them.

Ferok
09-24-2012, 09:28 AM

You could conceivably bring charmed undead with you to Zlandicar, I believe.

nebulus
09-24-2012, 09:39 AM
HAHAHAHahahahahah...ha..

I know a few bards who would like to proove you otherwise, me being one of them.

I think necros are slightly more versatile than bards.. with the ability to rez.. fd.. summon.. gate.. bind.. etc.

Bard is my main as well.

Cippofra
09-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Honestly it just depends on the situation. bards are useful in all situations. but they dont have any last minute save the day abilities like necros do

Raavak
09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Weren't mod rods droppable in early Velious? I seem to remember piles of these things all over the place, and clerics using them like a fat kid eating candy. With the no-drop flag it makes necros that much more important.

Ferok
09-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Weren't mod rods droppable in early Velious? I seem to remember piles of these things all over the place, and clerics using them like a fat kid eating candy. With the no-drop flag it makes necros that much more important.

Yes, they were droppable. In NTOV, you amassed piles of them prior to the bigger fights.

Necros were still valuable, but certainly more so after the mod-rod nerf (which I believe occurred during Luclin.)

pasi
09-24-2012, 03:45 PM
If you're raiding:

Yeah modrod nerf was in Luclin and basically made the expansion playable by halving everything's hitpoints. Until then, twitch really isn't amazing since stockpiles of modrods cover CHeal/Dragonsbane costs.

IMO, Necros main job in Velious was CR. Whether that involves clicking their conjure corpse robes at ToV entrance when some idiot monk/sk gets brings a dragon and 3 flurry drakes to the raid or initiating the rez chain.

Other than that, healing with shadowbound/PoS (not sure if the 15 buff trick works, but on live if you kept your buffs full, you could cast these spells without the recourse). I think shaman are usually gonna be healing the clerics, but necro heals don't hurt.

Scent/minor DPS/looking-busy in general. I mean, you're a Int class in the most melee-tuned expansion the game has ever had - if you're raiding, why haven't you rerolled?

Safon
09-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Level another class up to 60?

I died a little inside at the prospect

Silo69
09-24-2012, 05:09 PM
primal, lol

necs are a dime a dozen

Silo69
09-24-2012, 05:12 PM
If you're raiding:

Scent/minor DPS/looking-busy in general. I mean, you're a Int class in the most melee-tuned expansion the game has ever had - if you're raiding, why haven't you rerolled?

raiding necro

/thread

Ogre
09-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Well it wouldn't be fair if you could play the best class for raiding AND soloing AND grouping, right?

This.

If you want a class that easily solos to 60, provides the most utility to raids and pick up groups... Play a Shaman. :o

Silo69
09-24-2012, 05:19 PM
if your hard core about raiding, and you wanna secure yourself a good spot in the scene with any guild and ur not a complete drooler

/bard /cleric

you still need the core classes, war, enchanter, shaman but but but... you can never have enough bards/clerics on raids, always room let alone a skilled player

all casters get butthurt in Vel, after 3+ years its when the war/rogue/bard/ranger/sk/monk really shit on all casters. since they were shat on since the start.

my 2 copper

Silo69
09-24-2012, 05:23 PM
This.

If you want a class that easily solos to 60, provides the most utility to raids and pick up groups... Play a Shaman. :o

the only "pure caster" that holds there own in vel, in terms of solo/big named/big mother fuking plays", shaman are gods in Vel arguably > all.

Safon
09-24-2012, 05:34 PM
So essentially I need to take it up the flashpipe like a man

So be it! Thanks for the info everyone

Silo69
09-24-2012, 05:35 PM
So essentially I need to take it up the flashpipe like a man

So be it! Thanks for the info everyone

Pepper Your Angus, Vel comes in DRY!

Safon
09-24-2012, 06:08 PM
So was there any real benefit to picking Necromancer over Enchanter or Shaman? Boh of those classes are arguably as good at soloing right?

Silo69
09-24-2012, 06:12 PM
So was there any real benefit to picking Necromancer over Enchanter or Shaman? Boh of those classes are arguably as good at soloing right?

dependent on playstyle, torpor malo, is game breaking when doing big named solo's

experienced bards necros enchanters have done some interesting things

but shaman are kings of solo single target big hp named hitters anything end game

vel is end game for this server

Ferok
09-24-2012, 06:13 PM

Necro should at least be 'easier' than Enchanter.

Autotune
09-24-2012, 06:37 PM

Good necromancers are always needed, bad necros... not so much.

If you play a necromancer as a Ninja, you'll always have a spot in a raiding guild.

If you play a necromancer as a soloing necro #203440201, not so much.

As far as rerolling just so you can cast spells on a dragonpixel instead of a pcpixel... that's just what a crappy player would do.

Learn to be a ninjanecro, embrace the shadowydarkness or you can just reroll to a cleric and press 2

Splorf22
09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
From what I have heard enchanters will get the shaft in velious even harder and more vigorously than necromancers. Magicians and Wizards won't be that happy either. Shaman will be great, but remember they also get to take tells for 'melee buffs plz' on raids :D

The real problem is that Verant just sucked at balancing their games. In classic melee are hugely underpowered relative to casters. In Kunark melee almost catch up (or in our server with the huge lag of Velious, do catch up because so many L60s have their epic and tons of VP/Sky gear and Trakanon BPs etc). In Velious melee finally pass casters.

pasi
09-24-2012, 08:31 PM
I'm interested to see how enchanters pan out in Velious here.

Enchanters wreck Kael via Direwolf Pets. Hit for 230s or so and don't summon. Plus, unlike giants, you can stun/mez them for recharm. Frost Giant Keep do less damage, but will break charm less. The kicker being that they are harder to recharm.

You can charm shit for Dain in Icewell, but not the dwarves. Stuff like the cubes in the banish area are fine.

Skyshrine and ToV have decent pets, but they're really fuckin' far away from where you're probably gonna be killing shit so unless you are clearing to shit (which for skyshrine is a giant 'fuck no'). ToV depends on whether TMO decides to pull dargons to Aary or fight them at spawn since hatchlings are near.

ST: Lol

Velks, Sontalak, Klandicar, Zlandicar, Neb, Vaniki all have decent pets available.

WToV and EToV, you're straight up fucked.

Enchanters are obviously useful for PoG.

pasi
09-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Plus there's the whole deal with different mob factions in the same zone, which can make for some hilariously broken ways to kill raid mobs with an enchanter/bard and a couple FD'rs.

webrunner5
09-25-2012, 10:13 AM

Enchanters wreck Kael via Direwolf Pets. Hit for 230s or so and don't summon. Plus, unlike giants, you can stun/mez them for recharm. Frost Giant Keep do less damage, but will break charm less. The kicker being that they are harder to recharm.

You can charm shit for Dain in Icewell, but not the dwarves. Stuff like the cubes in the banish area are fine.

Skyshrine and ToV have decent pets, but they're really fuckin' far away from where you're probably gonna be killing shit so unless you are clearing to shit (which for skyshrine is a giant 'fuck no'). ToV depends on whether TMO decides to pull dargons to Aary or fight them at spawn since hatchlings are near.

Velks, Sontalak, Klandicar, Zlandicar, Neb, Vaniki all have decent pets available.

I agree with your pet charming view. But Man in Velious I remember it did not pay to be a Chanter. Mobs hit like hell, resists are threw the roof, Mobs have tons higher MR, some can't be mezzed, lots of Summon mobs, just ugly. I think they go down hill in Velious. Still need them though

pharmakos
09-25-2012, 02:37 PM
can't a really good necro solo dragons in WW?

Ele
09-25-2012, 07:01 PM

Clarity/haste, tash, /q to rogue

HeallunRumblebelly
09-26-2012, 02:38 PM
if your hard core about raiding, and you wanna secure yourself a good spot in the scene with any guild and ur not a complete drooler

/bard /cleric

you still need the core classes, war, enchanter, shaman but but but... you can never have enough bards/clerics on raids, always room let alone a skilled player

all casters get butthurt in Vel, after 3+ years its when the war/rogue/bard/ranger/sk/monk really shit on all casters. since they were shat on since the start.

my 2 copper

Actually if your raid consists of more than 20% bards, you can have too many bards. This never happens, but there still is a theoretical limit. straight damage / straight heals stack, remember that :P

If you like how necro plays, just make a shm, heh.

HeallunRumblebelly
09-26-2012, 02:42 PM
can't a really good necro solo dragons in WW?

They summon and i'm pretty sure aren't fearable. These 2 things make high end soloing for necros terrible, and even worse in areas without good charms.

Safon
09-26-2012, 02:44 PM
So what can high end necros solo?

pharmakos
09-26-2012, 08:55 PM
They summon and i'm pretty sure aren't fearable. These 2 things make high end soloing for necros terrible, and even worse in areas without good charms.

i know there were necros doing it during the Velious era on the EQLive Progression Servers.

of course, that has nothing to do with whether or not its doable on P99.

baub
09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
plenty of ww dragons necros can fear kite

Silo69
09-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Actually if your raid consists of more than 20% bards, you can have too many bards. This never happens, but there still is a theoretical limit. straight damage / straight heals stack, remember that :P

If you like how necro plays, just make a shm, heh.

theorycraft and real world applications ... yea kinda

if you /who all 50+ bards

it gets pretty thin up there for many reason, that 40% penalty sure is part of it, you ll never have that many bards ever. If you do pls ss for me lol. It still may work. Bards can alternate hold aggro and pop DA. Fading Memories was amazing.

"plenty of ww dragons necros can fear kite"

yea, but nothing worth any value

its all about your ROI

some people just dont get it, they think ima roll a necro and someday fungis will rain from the sky. burst a little bubble, mages/necros are farming classes, raw plat. They excell at killing lower lvl mobs with more consistancy with little downtime. When it comes to big ticket items. Your better off making friends, rolling a shaman or enchanter.

Not saying you cant do it, but 55+ u better fall in love with ur class or your gonna hate your time /played

Safon
09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
theorycraft and real world applications ... yea kinda

if you /who all 50+ bards

it gets pretty thin up there for many reason, that 40% penalty sure is part of it, you ll never have that many bards ever. If you do pls ss for me lol. It still may work. Bards can alternate hold aggro and pop DA. Fading Memories was amazing.

"plenty of ww dragons necros can fear kite"

yea, but nothing worth any value

its all about your ROI

some people just dont get it, they think ima roll a necro and someday fungis will rain from the sky. burst a little bubble, mages/necros are farming classes, raw plat. They excell at killing lower lvl mobs with more consistancy with little downtime. When it comes to big ticket items. Your better off making friends, rolling a shaman or enchanter.

Not saying you cant do it, but 55+ u better fall in love with ur class or your gonna hate your time /played

Are sea furies still the best raw plat in the game?

Silo69
09-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Are sea furies still the best raw plat in the game?

i wanna say "yes" to this answer

i dont want you at my grind spot

its pretty empty, and i like it that way

gooday to you sir

Safon
09-26-2012, 10:32 PM
i wanna say "yes" to this answer

i dont want you at my grind spot

its pretty empty, and i like it that way

gooday to you sir

You monster, where's your love for your fellow gamer!

Silo69
09-26-2012, 10:35 PM
You monster, where's your love for your fellow gamer!

Friends list when i log into my cleric. :P

Safon
09-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Lol bloody hell, does anyone know of this superior to seafuries plat camp?

Calabee
09-27-2012, 07:15 AM
im looking forward to soloing western wastes dragons, as a bard~

LordFresh
09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
DN raids for zland? lolz

Zlandicar lol. Nobody is going to be racing down to Zlandicar .. they will be COTHing to him and killing him similiar to trak. A necro really isnt going to be using a charmed pet for this fight.

HeallunRumblebelly
09-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Zlandicar lol. Nobody is going to be racing down to Zlandicar .. they will be COTHing to him and killing him similiar to trak. A necro really isnt going to be using a charmed pet for this fight.

Yeah, but dragonwise he's easy as sin. I wonder if 1-2 groups camping vaniki might be able to take him, heh. Fucking willsapper.