PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: DoTs showing DMG and other stuff

SamwiseRed
11-29-2012, 02:01 PM
1. DoTs shouldnt be showing damage, only wore off message should.

2. Scrolling out to 3rd person should not be possible

3. Buffs should not be showing duration even when pressing ALT

4. Buff stacking not working properly here. If you have an empty slot on top, the next buff should fill it. Example you have 2 empty slots then Skin Like Wood then SoW. Someone recasts SoW on you, it could goto the top slot. (being worked on according to dev)

5. When casting a spell from the sitting position it should give you message must be standing to cast a spell and not have you stand automatically. there is more than on design.

6. when camping from the standing position it should say you must be sitting to camp instead of sitting you down automatically.

7. not sure if bug or what but it seems like I hardly see my actual weapon swing while in first person view. if you look at this video i am linking, you certainly see the rangers weapons. this is not the case on here unless ranger epics are different. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVrOmBUDBS0

8. pretty sure this is client side but user should not be able to see how much mana he has as a number.

9. level up graphic not classic (Fixed)

10. linking items and multiple chat boxes not classic

11. apparently spell book shouldnt be 8 spells per page but a wierd design (dont remember this)
http://i.imgur.com/v5h4I.jpg

12. spells take long as HELL to memorize (both to spell book and to spell bar) on eqmaq. not even joking, probably takes at least 5x as long.

Lazortag
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
This was covered in another thread, but part of the reason dots still show damage is for easier bug reporting to help make things more classic. The rest of what you said seems accurate though I have no idea how much of it is fixable.

uygi
11-29-2012, 04:14 PM
I'd forgotten about the look of the classic spell book. It was quite different actually, and different pages had a slightly different geometric layouts.

SamwiseRed
11-29-2012, 05:42 PM
This was covered in another thread, but part of the reason dots still show damage is for easier bug reporting to help make things more classic. The rest of what you said seems accurate though I have no idea how much of it is fixable.

ah cool, thought there might be a reason for it. most of this stuff is pretty minor but its stuff i noticed after playing eqmac for an hour then remembering, "hey it was like that in classic" not sure if i should make separate topic for each one, i notice some more stuff but haven't added it yet.

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 04:37 PM
bump for HB

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 04:38 PM
really wierd that LoZ has classic buff stacking but not p99

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 05:47 PM
No Nirgon response for broken buff stacking???????

Nirgon
02-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Whether I know its one way or the other doesn't matter unfortunately. GL finding evidence on that.

SamwiseRed
02-05-2013, 07:50 PM
im positive. its how it works on eqmac as well. trust me you couldnt keep sow in buff slot 15 by keeping it refreshed. you had to maintain your entire buff stack at all times in classic. newest buff always goes to first open slot no matter if you have it or not already.

SamwiseRed
07-03-2013, 01:13 AM
looks like 5 was recently fixed. excellent.

Furinex
07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
The scroll out will never get fixed as long as we use Titanium. EQMac is based on Titanium yes, however it uses multiple DX8 functions and is highly modified. However, if this were to ever get fixed, please post your findings in the Classic Spell Effects thread in the Tech Forums so we can find out how and do the same with the spell effects :x

SamwiseRed
07-03-2013, 11:31 AM
added 12

spells take long as HELL to memorize (both to spell book and to spell bar) on eqmaq. not even joking, probably takes at least 5x as long.

Ele
07-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Make it so. That UI gives me a raging clue.

nilbog
07-03-2013, 12:51 PM
12. spells take long as HELL to memorize (both to spell book and to spell bar) on eqmaq. not even joking, probably takes at least 5x as long.

I spoke to kanras about this previously.

We need to know what to base this on, specifically.

Like, level of scriber vs. spell?
Should a higher level player scribe a low level spell faster than a higher level spell?
Same questions for memming.

For any changes to be made, will need some numbers.

Stinkum
07-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Just guessing, but it probably also takes into account the spell type and player's skill level in that type. Example, trying to scribe a conjuration spell will go quicker according to the given conjuration skill of the player (which correlates with level).

nilbog
07-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Just guessing, but it probably also takes into account the spell type and player's skill level in that type. Example, trying to scribe a conjuration spell will go quicker according to the given conjuration skill of the player (which correlates with level).

If by scribe you mean the first time, scribing to the spell book.. it is an item at that point (scroll). After it has been scribed, it can reference the skill which the spell uses for memorization.

I hope someone will research it!

SamwiseRed
07-03-2013, 01:37 PM
ya scribing takes years on eq mac. just make a level one and try it :) maybe ele can find something. i mite do some digging later tho.

meming takes longer too. guess i should have been more specific in op :)

Rezonation
07-03-2013, 03:02 PM
I was under the impression this is partially based on the Meditate skill and as it increased, the speed at which you scribe a spell, as well as memorize the spell, was affected.

TarukShmaruk
07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
I spoke to kanras about this previously.

We need to know what to base this on, specifically.

Like, level of scriber vs. spell?
Should a higher level player scribe a low level spell faster than a higher level spell?
Same questions for memming.

For any changes to be made, will need some numbers.

He's 100% on the time it took to scribe a spell to a spell book - this took a very long time, much longer than memorizing a level 44 spell at level 44.

But memorizing from your book to your bar is spot on. It takes a significant chunk of time, as it does right now on p1999, and then becomes practically instant in about 10 levels.

bulbousaur
07-04-2013, 12:17 PM
I was under the impression this is partially based on the Meditate skill and as it increased, the speed at which you scribe a spell, as well as memorize the spell, was affected.

I believe this is the answer, the scribing time decreased geometrically as your meditate skill went from awful to master.

SamwiseRed
07-05-2013, 12:01 AM
ye pretty sure it was based off mediation.

nilbog
07-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Meditation sounds reasonable.

I hope someone will research it!

enr4ged
07-05-2013, 06:31 PM
From my memory, it was based off (at the least) meditate, because I specifically remember that memorizing a spell (from book to gem) got faster during the same level, as your meditation skill increased.

For example just hitting level eight a new spell would memorize in ten seconds, but after you had gotten your meditation points for that level it would go down to five seconds or whatever.

Nirgon
07-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Higher meditate = spells scribed faster

I do recall a pal not training meditate on a char we PL'd and him saying "fuck this takes forever, I haven't gone back to train meditate"

nilbog
07-08-2013, 05:22 PM
4. Buff stacking not working properly here. If you have an empty slot on top, the next buff should fill it. Example you have 2 empty slots then Skin Like Wood then SoW. Someone recasts SoW on you, it could goto the top slot.

Can you explain this better? Quick tests on eqmac showed that sow refreshed the slot it already occupied and did not replace an empty slot at top.

SamwiseRed
07-08-2013, 06:04 PM
was the top slot empty?

SamwiseRed
07-08-2013, 06:05 PM
lets say buff stack is this

empty
empty
sow
skin

if you recasted sow on live, it would not refresh the sow in 3rd slow but would take up new first slot. it would be

sow
empty
empty
skin

SamwiseRed
07-09-2013, 06:58 PM
bumpy ^ responded.

heartbrand
07-09-2013, 07:11 PM
nilbog is saying on eqmac it doesnt work like that so you're going to need some proof beyond recollection

SamwiseRed
07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
i know what hes saying but if he had no empty buff slots ofc its going to refresh the same slot. on live buff stacking was a pain in the ass to maintain. the problem arises when u have buffs buried behind empty buff slots.

so say you have no empty slots, just skin and sow like this:
1- skin
2- sow

then recasting sow will of course refresh slot 2

however on live (and eqmac) if your buffs were like this
1-empty
2-empty
3-skin
4-sow

then you recast sow it, it would be

1- sow
2 - empty
3- skin
4- empty

SamwiseRed
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
eq mac has classic buff stacking. he just didnt have empty buff slots on top or im wrong and my bad.

SamwiseRed
07-15-2013, 12:04 PM
bump for classic buff stacking

responded to nilbog in the posts above. ill quote just in case :D

i know what hes saying but if he had no empty buff slots ofc its going to refresh the same slot. on live buff stacking was a pain in the ass to maintain. the problem arises when u have buffs buried behind empty buff slots.

so say you have no empty slots, just skin and sow like this:
1- skin
2- sow

then recasting sow will of course refresh slot 2

however on live (and eqmac) if your buffs were like this
1-empty
2-empty
3-skin
4-sow

then you recast sow it, it would be

1- sow
2 - empty
3- skin
4- empty

Sundawg
07-15-2013, 02:45 PM
or im wrong and my bad.

I did exactly what you said to do, yet SoW would simply refresh in the 4th slot. (I've tried it on multiple days now in response to your posts.)

If you still maintain it should work (i.e. try it again and see if the way you describe is working for you), PM me and i'll meet you on EQmac and we can test together/you can show me.

Nirgon
07-15-2013, 02:46 PM
I sent the devs that con amiable a druid account if you want to use it Samwise

Nirgon
04-14-2014, 01:15 PM
Bump for #4

Here's a buff stack

[Empty]
[Shielding]
[HP Buff]
[Spirit of Wolf]

You get Spirit of Wolf cast on you.

Here it will look like this:

[Empty]
[Shielding]
[HP Buff]
[Spirit of Wolf (fresh)]

It should look like this:

[Spirit of Wolf]
[Shielding]
[HP Buff]
[Empty]

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Logic being -> remove existing spell, attempt to place it in next available slot.

http://s16.postimg.org/5m1n0trab/classic.png

Daldaen
04-14-2014, 01:19 PM
All of these are legit classic bugs. Would love to see it all get fixed. Big thumbs up to Samwise.

Telin
04-14-2014, 10:13 PM
I took care of number 9. Also removed sparkles from decaying corpses.

bubbles are gone for the next update.

Also we should not be seeing the amounts healed until late in Velious.

SamwiseRed
11-16-2014, 04:10 PM
bump

odd the buff stackng didnt work on eqmac for u. it was doing it for me thats why I noticed it. RIP eqmac.

Haynar
11-16-2014, 06:12 PM
bump

odd the buff stackng didnt work on eqmac for u. it was doing it for me thats why I noticed it. RIP eqmac.
I remember #4. And it sucked sometimes when u had buffs in slots where you wanted them, and someone recast that buff on you.

Have it working in code.

H

SamwiseRed
11-17-2014, 04:16 AM
I remember #4. And it sucked sometimes when u had buffs in slots where you wanted them, and someone recast that buff on you.

Have it working in code.

H

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/pinkperry/Gif/loki_gif.gif

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd424/K-Rod5150/feels-good-man.gif

also thanks telin, got your pm :)

Colgate
11-17-2014, 05:52 AM
NEAT

would love to see this fix

SamwiseRed
11-17-2014, 09:58 AM
while buffs are being worked on, being able to hover or press alt and see the timers on your buffs in not classic. in classic you had to time everything manually or when you do your rebuffs you just rebuffed everything. tested this on eqmac. there was no way to indicate the timer on your buffs although they did start fading when they were going away.

remove the ability to see timers on buffs. tears will be had including mine.

mentioned as #3 in OP

Daldaen
11-17-2014, 10:27 AM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157229

Great classic fixes between these two threads. Make UIs classic. Then we will see who is an actual ClassicQuester.

Looks like a decent amount of overlap though. I had a separate thread on the DoT damage issue I think. They claim it will be fixed in Velious once all spells are tested.

SamwiseRed
11-17-2014, 10:29 AM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157229

Great classic fixes between these two threads. Make UIs classic. Then we will see who is an actual ClassicQuester.

oh man, no cycle target key. good shit. that one will definitely hurt right in the gut.

Haynar
11-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Getting rid of timers on buffs is a tough one. Have to hack the client for that. I have looked for it a few times and haven't found it yet. So don't plan on that anytime soon.

H

Daldaen
11-17-2014, 10:41 AM
oh man, no cycle target key. good shit. that one will definitely hurt right in the gut.

Separates the men from the boys as a CC class.

Kergan
11-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Personally buff duration mouseover/alt clicks really isn't that big of a deal imo. The buff stacking stuff is huge though on a PVP server.

SamwiseRed
11-17-2014, 11:02 AM
id be huge if everyone buff stacked properly but they dont even now. 3 of my last 5-6 kills were from dots, 2 of them took an entire winged death. in theory this destroys the meta but really people are playing just as bad without it.

Zaela
11-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Getting rid of timers on buffs is a tough one. Have to hack the client for that. I have looked for it a few times and haven't found it yet. So don't plan on that anytime soon.

Could lie to the client about durations so buff timers are useless (i.e. everything says it lasts 72 hours or whatever). Would prevent about-to-fade buffs from blinking, although that could be fixed by sending out the correct duration when a buff is down to 3 or 4 ticks remaining.

Obviously not ideal, though.

Haynar
11-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Could lie to the client about durations so buff timers are useless (i.e. everything says it lasts 72 hours or whatever). Would prevent about-to-fade buffs from blinking, although that could be fixed by sending out the correct duration when a buff is down to 3 or 4 ticks remaining.

Obviously not ideal, though.

Not ideal, true. Very hackish lookin. Plenty of other stuff thats more important.

H

Nirgon
11-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Instead of saying the duration couldn't you just make it say only the buff name

Smedy
11-18-2014, 02:45 AM
you're onto something big here haynar, if counters were properly working in pvp that would really change the game drastically

pras

Potus
11-18-2014, 02:51 AM
Yeah having dudes dispel 300+ mana dots with one click was pretty lame, would enjoy the old classic days when they'd instead dispel their own buffs while Splurt did its damage.

SamwiseRed
08-09-2015, 05:18 AM
good to see buff timers gone. just a few more things on the list.

SamwiseRed
08-10-2015, 10:34 AM
bump for:

scroll wheel
one chat box
item linking
dots showing damage

pras haynar