PDA

View Full Version : Remember the "Discord" server? EQ's PvP Permadeath server?

FatMagic
06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Just wondering if anyone played on EQ's PvP permadeath server called "Discord" back in Dec 2003 when it started up. It didn't last very long, but I enjoyed it for about a week. It was Original EQ only, and only to level 50. Basically if you died at any point (level 1 through 50) your character would get reset and wiped, and your bank emptied - and you'd end up back in your newbie zone at level 1 with nothing but newbie gear.

I remember starting up an Ogre SK, and leveling up a few times to level 8 or 10, and then dying a few times. I got pretty tired of this, and ended up stopping. I didn't know anyone to play with to stay alive. Definitely NOT a solo friendly server. Bring friends and make a balanced group and you probably did pretty good.

And of course at level 6 you'd get PvP enabled, so that made it much more interesting! I believe it was Racial PvP... so it was pretty much Evil Races vs Good Races. Can't remember this detail too well... I never ended up leaving the Feerot anyways. I do remember that if someone did kill you after level 6, they could FULL loot your body.

So did anyone else have an experience with this server? Did you make it beyond level 10 or so? If you did play, what was your worst experience (die at level 49!)?

Just curious!

YendorLootmonkey
06-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I was one kill from level 50 w/full planar gear, and jumped down off a wall about 3 ft, hit some nasty lag, and 32K'd. Just kidding, but that would suck.

Penoy Lives
06-09-2010, 01:25 PM
i had a lvl 36 mage on this server....eventually i zoned into Najena, was immediately blinded by a 15 pally and 2 16mages were on me...and dead

FatMagic
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
i had a lvl 36 mage on this server....eventually i zoned into Najena, was immediately blinded by a 15 pally and 2 16mages were on me...and dead

Dang... two level 16 mages taking down a level 36. Man that bites. I didn't know they could do that! I figured you would have ended up resisting most of their lower level spells.

Because of these things, I'm thinking most people who played on Discord have long since blocked out the experience - haha!

Darkcore
06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah, played on that server for a week or so. Bro and I rolled mage/druid. We thought it was an awesome plan! Sow/snare with pet to kick them while they chased us. Of course what really happened was I got up to lvl 13 three time's and died. On our 3rd attempt to get to sow lvl I fell from our hidden pull spot right on top of the highest person to lvl a cleric. (lvl 30 or so) and rage quit.

Fun times! :eek:

Dildor
06-09-2010, 02:33 PM
I played a dark elf necromancer. I levelled up to 6 and began stalking for my first kill. I spotted a level 6 monk and a 5 druid levelling together in Nro. I sicced my pet on the monk and the battle started. He ended up killing my pet and using all of my mana but I knocked him unconcious. During the next 30 seconds I kept swinging and missing while his druid friend begged me to stop. He offered me 6 bone chips but I kept mercilessly swinging at the monk until he died.

After killing the monk and being cursed out by the druid I engaged a paladin named Pancakes. Pancakes was a completely naked human except for a 2handed sword. He lured me into guards and I was swiftly murdered.

I never logged back into it but it was great fun and would do it again.

Yoite
06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
haha thats a great story Dildor. more discord stories!

Keystone
06-09-2010, 02:47 PM
haha that server was hella fun, we played there with a 6 ogre death squad untill we ended up turning on each other like champs lol

FatMagic
06-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Hahah Dildor your story made me LOL!

haha that server was hella fun, we played there with a 6 ogre death squad untill we ended up turning on each other like champs lol

Of course haha! Sounds like something an Ogre would do.

Taxi
06-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Someone in my eve online corp talked to me about this server recently, i dont think that server was up back when i played in 2001, dont remember it anyway. I started on Sullon Zek first, which was all lvls pvp. I got one-shotted by a lvl45 wiz in blackburrow a couple of times and thought fuck this, and rolled on Rallos Zek lol. I didnt really understand guild dynamics yet, i wish i had stayed on Sullon later on.

Landis
06-09-2010, 03:00 PM
i played on one, i think it was vallon zek (race pvp) not discord, but 3 of my friends and I made DE shadowknights and terrorized the freeport newbie zones. 4 HT = instagib.

FatMagic
06-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Discord was opened up in December of 2003 - it was a special rules server - and stayed open for maybe a month or two max. Then closed up shop. I think it was driven by a contest to see who could level the highest? Or maybe it closed because too many people complained about how hard it was? Something like that.

And yah I think you're right, I think it was open PvP, not racial.

mitic
06-09-2010, 04:15 PM
i remember it and it sucked

sullon zek ruleset would own tho

nilbog/rogean, doe it!

km2783
06-09-2010, 04:39 PM
EQ is such an unforgiving game that I imagine such a server was misery at times. :D

SearyxTZ
06-09-2010, 04:41 PM
This was bar none the best EQ experience ever for me.

I was one of the five winners, along with my TZ buddy Tryndamere.

I played a DE Cleric and got him to upper 30's - was the defacto "leader" of the non-Darkenbane people up until the very end.

Started out with a bunch of TZ/TZT people, and we had a loose alliance with the SZ people (which was broken eventually). Darkenbane (RZ) was the major force on the server. The blue server people did not make any sort of impact - FoH guys including Furor getting mopped up before they even cracked past the newbie levels, and then of course ranting about how the server was trash.

In a way it kinda was - Verant made the mistake of giving people a free pass to exploit and hack. I've never used a hack when playing EQ, even on emulated servers, although I'd use every trick in the book and every cheap LoS/zoning advantage (including zone plugging). There were some blatant hackers on this server - these two barbarian guys in particular who would warp on top of you immediately after they entered the zone, moved at GM speed, etc. No one would go into South Karana because of them. I had to give the Darkenbane guys props for being so damn organized and good at PvP, but I don't think all of them were clean/legit by any measure. Some may have been. This server pop died down to <100 because of the hacking, though. It's a shame.

There was a level 30'ish showdown of my force and the DB guys around Butcherblock/Gfay, which was intense as hell. NO ONE wanted to engage - because we knew that if you died then that was it.

Most of my ragtag group died - there was a halfling ranger that managed to make it past level 30. One Necro I allied with, Vumil, made it into the last week of the server and was in the high 40's. He would have been in the winners for sure, but died to a bad pull of spectres (lol). Felt so bad for that guy. There was also a guy who died on a bad Unrest pull.

The last week of the server I didn't log on much because Darkenbane had taken over by that point and I had no allies left. I had logged out in neriakc, and these guys had enchanters with DE illusion on coming after me in there.

People scoffed at my choice of Cleric for that server, but there's no way I could have survived with any other class. People underestimated how effective Clerics are on a server where nobody has any MR. With Smite (80'ish DD) + Flash of Light / Root + melee with bash, I could kill people easily. I got a Screaming Mace early on (from killing someone) and the DE Cleric newbie quest armor. Divine Aura + Divine Barrier saved me countless times where I should have died.

Scoring a kill on that server was like fucking Christmas. Not only did you get the kill (with the serverwide announcement), but also PvP points based on the guy's level.... and then the best part - looting everything they had on them.

Last thing: the winners were all supposed to get custom-made items, and SoE never delivered on this. Tryndamere and I both bugged them on the forums and they just locked/deleted our threads.

I did get "the Executioner" title + a server transfer over to Tallon Zek, though.

I'll post some pictures later.

SearyxTZ
06-09-2010, 04:52 PM
i played on one, i think it was vallon zek (race pvp) not discord, but 3 of my friends and I made DE shadowknights and terrorized the freeport newbie zones. 4 HT = instagib.

lol I actually remember this

I remember the ogres too - forgot about them. Funny that they turned on eachother. I remember thinking they were the only ones who had a shot to kill the Darkenbane shorts.

There was a lot of backstabbing on that server. I kept my guard up even around that Necromancer I had allied with. I had considered taking him out when he was low HP when we were exping together, but ultimately decided against it. No one flying solo survived for long.

FatMagic
06-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Wow! Really cool to hear from someone who made it to the end! Thanks for that cool story. Pictures please ;)

....TZ buddy Tryndamere.

I wonder where he got the name from... and I wonder if League of Legends stole it from him!? Hah!

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Tryndamere_The_Barbarian_King

Reiker
06-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Discord was some of the most fun I've had playing EQ. Getting out of a newbie zone and leveling past 4 or so was an epic achievement.

Edit: Okay, level 6 then. I guess I remembered incorrectly. Still, I remember the newbie zones being gank central. The server would have been even better if you gained exp from player kills.

pickled_heretic
06-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I don't remember this server, I think I quit playing before it came out, but it sounds absolutely hardcore.

I remember playing a full-loot PVP MUD called carrion fields years ago where you would lose constitution permanently for deaths and aging and if your con score hit 0 you were done. It was absolutely intense and I can only imagine that this experience would have been equally intense.

Reiker
06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm pretty stubborn, I think I leveled a shaman up into the high teens about a dozen times. I think the highest I may have gotten was low 20s like 22, but I also probably played too aggressively for that server. I also played a few mages and a few necros.

Reiker
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Scoring a kill on that server was like fucking Christmas.

So true. I remember barely killing some dude in Oasis and almost fucking screaming in excitement irl. And then some dude came up and one-shotted me from my low HP :(

AstyTZ
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I played a dark elf necro on Discord and I loved it. Only made it to about 16 or so and then I got steam-rolled by three beastlords that were probably high 20's or low 30's, then I quit, because they took my full set of noob armor.

FatMagic
06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
I didn't think of it until just now... but since you didn't flag PvP until level 6 - someone should have totally Fansy'ed on that server... it would have been absolutely bloody mayhem.

(if you don't know what I'm talking about, go Google "Fansy the Bard" - absolutely hilarious)

Unless that fix they put in place occurred before Discord....

L2Phantom
06-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I loved that server. I was playing a human monk and I remember hiding from like everyone, in nooks and crannies in the cities that I never knew existed. Hugging the guards, hoping no one would kill me while I was AFK. If I saw someone coming, I would hide behind a rock, tree, or house - anything to give me cover. I was a true ninja, and I loved the hell out of it.

bufferofnewbies
06-10-2010, 07:44 AM
The true purpose of the server was to help test coding that detected the use of MQ and other similiar programs. It is why cheaters were not punished often on the server. The 'first to 50' bonus was put in so the code boys had a reason to come over and hack as much as they could.

Within 3 weeks of the server being dropped, many accounts were banned from the gains made by the efforts on this server.

FatMagic
06-10-2010, 08:32 AM
The true purpose of the server was to help test coding that detected the use of MQ and other similiar programs. It is why cheaters were not punished often on the server. The 'first to 50' bonus was put in so the code boys had a reason to come over and hack as much as they could.

Within 3 weeks of the server being dropped, many accounts were banned from the gains made by the efforts on this server.

Are you serious!? They made this server a honeypot? What a letdown. Learning more than I expected about Discord.. Oh well at least I had a tiny bit of fun on their "testing ground".

mitic
06-10-2010, 08:58 AM

--->>>

Last thing: the winners were all supposed to get custom-made items, and SoE never delivered on this. Tryndamere and I both bugged them on the forums and they just locked/deleted our threads.

FatMagic
06-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Sounds like Charlie & The Chocolate Factory... Wonka [SOE] gives them a Golden Ticket promising a nice prize [custom-made items]... Wonka observes their slobbish & selfish behaviors [watches the hackers]... and then when Charlie is left at the end, asks where his prize is [custom-made items] and Wonka says - "Yep you get nothing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ)" - and locks their thread.

Maybe you guys should have returned that bloody gobstobber and SoE would have given you your items! Haha! :)

Lazortag
06-10-2010, 09:37 AM
This sounds great, I wish there was one of these on the eqemu servers even if just for a month or two.

Velothi
06-10-2010, 10:23 AM
That server was such a shitshow. For a few straight nights, me and four other friends would all lan party it up at one of their house (they had a huge basement and had cable internet - leet); we made 3 mages, a necro, and a druid; ran train on nro and oasis... got a couple tells from people accusing us of 5-boxing :P

Bruman
06-10-2010, 10:56 AM
This server sounds pretty hilarious.

Mleh
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
The server was opener for "Gates of Discord" - Winner was highest level at the end of server duration. Winner recieved a title on his home server and a GM item i believe.

I had quit EQ before this server but played a monk up to 23 on it on a soloing whim... Got merc'd by 2 gnomes in karanas.

IIRC two teams were the ultimate competitors - 2 gnomes and 2 ogres were both reported to be over lvl 45 when i quit

Scrooge
08-26-2010, 01:30 PM
A truly unforgettable EQ experience, it would be interesting of there was an emu version no doubt. Myself (Baki at the time) and Wurmus were duo teaming it as Dark Elves (enchanter and wizard), and while the server was FFA PvP, most races teamed up with each other against other races. The Dark Elves even had an inner "TZ Alliance" channel, the ogres had their own thing going, Darkenbane ran Faydwer.

We loved the pvp aspect and the risk that came with it, but there was so many negatives about that server also. Especially the rampant cheating (speedhacks, warping, you name it, it was there), because the GM made it clear they didn't care about what happened on the server, since it was temporary to begin with.

Lucrio40
08-26-2010, 01:51 PM
I remember this server. I rolled a rogue with a couple friends. We got up to about level 15-16 before they ended up getting killed. I managed to not die in the couple days we spent there. After they quit I would log on my rogue and go to random newbie area's and look for lowbies and just gank the shit out of them then log off. Was great that a lot of people played in first person view so I'd get 2-3 backstabs off before they realized what was happening and by that time, if they even survived, it was far to late.

Dominick
08-26-2010, 02:26 PM
I ran a Wood Elf Rogue. Hide and sneak were good things to have.

It was awesome. I really enjoyed that server rule set. No suicide gank, people planned things out and executed them, and were polite until you were ready to make a move.

I remember killing a gobby but low on HP, and boom, the lights went out. It was thrilling!

I found a way to hold onto Bone chips. I would level up, go to my chip stash, reset the timer and keep playing. When I got ganked, I grabbed chips and went bone chipping in Kaladim.

Bigcountry23
08-26-2010, 02:31 PM
It was only up breifly (like a month). It was fun, but I'm not a huge fan of PVP so I quit after my lvl 12 got ganked.

Sparkin
08-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Most constantly exhilarating MMO experience I've had. Rolled up a ranger... promptly got killed by a druid at level 9 and decided ranger wasn't the best idea. Got a druid to 14 or something, got ganked.

It'd never work on an emu server, unless you took PvP out of the equation entirely. Hackers would ruin it in a PvP environment, but sans PvP it might be fun to see how high you could get chars and what one could do.

kenzar
08-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Had a RL friend who got to 44 on his necro on Discord, he said he was the highest level on the server. name was morgion i believe

Lumathix
08-26-2010, 08:13 PM

That's what you get for zoning into nejena at level 36. Don't BS you know you were after some newbs.

Scrooge
08-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I think it could work as an Emu, if proper antihack measures were taken, like on P99 for example. I heard some servers even have anti-mq protection nowadays.

wurmus
08-26-2010, 11:52 PM
Playing on discord was the most fun I ever had playing EQ as well. You had to be alert constantly, every battle was life or death, and you just couldn't trust anyone.

I for one would love to see a this running on p99's system with a few tweaks to make it sustainable and a little more balanced... soooo many mages...

Scrooge
08-27-2010, 04:03 PM
When you're thrown into that kind of survivalist environment, there is no easy path. You either learn to adjust to virtually any situation on the fly, or you avoid taking any risks at all and hope no one ever finds you. Though I think we actually died more to pve than pvp...especially in Najena.

We've played quite alot of pvp mmos over the years, some more hardcore than others.
Discord was definitely the most fun and unpredictable EQ experience for sure.

If only we could make a clone of P99 with that special ruleset, I've no doubt it would attract a huge following given a chance.

Scrooge
10-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Just a heads up for anyone who would be interested in playing this server hosted by EQEMU.

Secrets is now hosting a server based on Discord, with some extra customizations (for the better). It is currently in alpha testing stages, and even better than what the real deal offered. If you would like to read more about this, check out this thread here:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32193

We'll probably make an IRC channel, since the project just started last week.

Cya there!

Deathmask
10-04-2010, 05:18 AM
I really want a title in the project 1999 server. Would you guys be able to work out some sort of deal with Rogean?

FatMagic
10-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Hah awesome Scrooge! Looking forward to what you guys put out in the end. I'll check it out and most likely get ganked over and over! Just like Discord :)

Asher
10-04-2010, 12:50 PM
I only played on this server for a short while and I am not a big PvPer. I another somewhat similar idea that I think would be great.

A PvE or PvP server where there is no XP loss on a death but once you die you cannot log back into the server for X hours. Probably nothing SoE would implement for good idea for a free server IMO.

kinztz
10-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I only played on this server for a short while and I am not a big PvPer. I another somewhat similar idea that I think would be great.

A PvE or PvP server where there is no XP loss on a death but once you die you cannot log back into the server for X hours. Probably nothing SoE would implement for good idea for a free server IMO.

This would be a bad idea unless VERY heavily staffed and policed. The amount of monks with an 'accidental' feign death near you with 29 mobs would occur a lot more frequently for their amusement and your grief.

Engraverwilliam
10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't mind a PVE version of this concept. fighting every battle like it could be your last. When you lose a group member during a fight it would send the "hard core" ripple through the whole group. When fighting something with a group of people in RL and someone gets taken out....no respawn man.

Wizerud
10-04-2010, 02:54 PM
A PvE Discord server where the only permissible class would be a ranger. Let's see one try to get to 50. I say this with a ranger being my main on P99 :)

In all seriousness I don't think I would have the patience for a Discord pvp server. I have a hard time enough not dying as it is without the hackers that would be prevalent.

Scrooge
10-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Some unique things about this server that Discord never had: pvp starts at level 1, pvp kills yield xp, level cap is 25 (for now!) and the starting zone is the only safe zone.

Haish
10-04-2010, 09:54 PM
What is the name of the emu discord server? dont see it on the list

Scrooge
10-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Its called MortalQuest, but I think its currently down for new coding implementation. IRC is the best way to find out the latest news on it.

Lazortag
10-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Some unique things about this server that Discord never had: pvp starts at level 1, pvp kills yield xp, level cap is 25 (for now!) and the starting zone is the only safe zone.

How hardcore is it? Is training allowed?

Scrooge
10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
It's still brand new, just released for the first time last week so if we can get a few people to mess around with it, we'll know for sure.

Also, new level spells are automatically scribed into your spellbooks when you level up. Akin to DAOC's base spells.

Secrets
10-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I didn't think it would be that popular, but if there's enough people wanting something like this I could host it. It wouldn't be classic by any means though, just PEQ with zones restricted (meaning guards would be braindead, etc)

I know there's a lot of people thinking VZTZ is dead though. It's not the best pvp server out there (but really, I think it's the best pvp server out there because it's the ONLY pvp server out there), but yeah, I want that to change. I love p1999 to death for nostalgia, and i'll continue to work on it frequently, as this is only a side hobby (the pvp server that is.) The whole custom coding thing, i'm not particularly good at implementing custom code, and the practice is nice. I don't learn much anymore, Rogean teaches me a lot of what I want to know if I ask him. He's awesome.

Scrooge
10-05-2010, 02:36 AM
IRC Chan is now up, #mortalquest.

Zithax
10-05-2010, 05:03 AM
Just a few notes I made as I played it for like 45mins.

MortalQuest Gameplay Notes
-Necro pet runs much slower than player (Spell: Cavorting Bones is all I have tested so far due to...)
-Scratch that, they did not mem right away but I checked my spell book about 15 minutes later and there they were. Hm.

Also, I have been working on several ideas for EQemu servers, could I PM you (Secrets or anyone else with extensive EQemu knowledge) and maybe you could tell me what ideas are possible and which are not, and which are more difficult to implement than others... etc. I'd really appreciate it. Maybe if they are any good you could help me work on them since I dont know shit about coding either!

Tuggo
10-05-2010, 05:56 AM
I didn't think it would be that popular, but if there's enough people wanting something like this I could host it. It wouldn't be classic by any means though, just PEQ with zones restricted (meaning guards would be braindead, etc)

I know there's a lot of people thinking VZTZ is dead though. It's not the best pvp server out there (but really, I think it's the best pvp server out there because it's the ONLY pvp server out there), but yeah, I want that to change. I love p1999 to death for nostalgia, and i'll continue to work on it frequently, as this is only a side hobby (the pvp server that is.) The whole custom coding thing, i'm not particularly good at implementing custom code, and the practice is nice. I don't learn much anymore, Rogean teaches me a lot of what I want to know if I ask him. He's awesome.

I know for one thing that if there happened to be a real EQEMU pvp server out there folks would play.

I have played on some of the servers in the past and to be quite honest they sucked. I feel that if there was a P1999 server of the quality and integrity of the PVE server...the player numbers would astound you.

I say quality and integrity. I'll say it again LOUDLY.

1) Quality. The quality of the current PvE server is astounding, and if you can bring this same quality to a PvP server I believe the numbers would more than double.

2) Integrity. The PvP servers of the past have suffered in this regard to the point of destruction. GM and Server Staff integrity are key.

I know so many PvP guilds from my past that would play.

Quality and Integrity.

Stanlei
10-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Secrets have you talked to Kedra. He had a server (CoH 2.0) with a very similar rule set. He had a custom epic quest and the leveling was 1-50 but you could get 50 in a couple hours. One idea that you might want to consider is his mercy vendor. He had a "Quest NPC" that you could talk to after killing another player. You could show your victim mercy by selecting a level that you wanted to return them to. I thought it was a good idea anyway, it just makes it that much more hardcore when you return someone to level 2 after killing them when they are 50 haha :D

LizardNecro
10-05-2010, 01:40 PM
That's a cool idea Stanlei!

Haish
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Its a lot of fun so far, Mortalquest!

Scrooge
10-06-2010, 12:06 AM
I've been a little busy irl the past few days, but I'll start up some tonight!

gnomishfirework
03-31-2011, 08:11 AM
I never made it out of tox. Was fun as hell though.

Harrison
03-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Discord lolhacking

Rooj
03-31-2011, 08:51 AM
This sounds so fun, I'm sad I missed out on this. It seems the MortalQuest server is no more, as well (or is it still going?).

Glorindale
04-01-2011, 06:25 PM
^^ more stories please...this thread is very funny

Zadrian
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I thought Discord server was awesome.. My buddy and I both created High elf mages. We got to level 6 and go into a fight wit ha level 12 necro. We killed him, but his dots ended up killing both of us.. It was pretty epic.

After we died we went into felwithe into the jewelry shop with the promise of free gems. When people ran into the building, we would stand in the doorway and not let anyone out. One guy just put auto run on and went afk for like an hour. Came back only to find us still standing there.

Discord was definitely a good time for those 3 or 4 hours.

Arillious
04-20-2011, 05:43 PM
I played on Discord with Darkenbane.

Here is a movie I dug up from back then(Give it a second to load, itll look like it isnt doing anything for a bit):
http://www.notacult.com/fansymovie/FoH%20Movie.swf

Here is the final post with the winner listed from DB's site:

http://forums.darkenbane.com/showthread.php?t=4791

Here were the winners:

Redwin the 24th level Halfling druid - Darkenbane's MUCH better version of the "Sams", Redwin was always helpful to all DBers and alot of fun in Teamspeak and on Discord. He was always smart in his PvP and never made mistakes. His enemies hated him whilst his friends all respected him. He was from Sullon Zek and had considerable experience as a "hard core" PvPer!

Dang the 24th level Gnome magician - Another member of Darkenbane, Dang came from both Sullon Zek (Nine, Vindi, ToW) and Rallos Zek prior to that. Having a long history of PvP paid off on Discord as she was methodical in her killing alongside many friends. Well respected among the guild, Dang was yet another member who was deserved of this honor!

Awakened the 20th level High Elf wizard - A newer member of Darkenbane, Awakened (a 24th Wizzie not 20th) quickly found a home amonst fellow PKers. It was a rocky start, however, as he almost was removed for accidentally killing his own mates (not checking the channel). Instead, he paid a penalty and helped his "victims" level back up :D Soon, Awakened became the butt of many jokes implying he was cleaning out more DBers then the anti-DBers! All joking aside, the reason he was allowed to remain DB was because everyone liked him and enjoyed him as a fellow killer. Additionally, Awakened was often used by us as "bait" to catch cheaters as we camped in a trap spot and waited for them to pop on top of the "solo" Awkakened. They found out quickly enough he was not so solo after all! He is undoubtedly a great PvPer and earned this honor!

Korpo the 24th level Gnome magician - Korpo was the final Darkenbane LISTED as a winner of the Discord competition and was a feared Gnome Mage on Antonica around the Oasis area. He often utilized ambush strategies to kill foes who usually gated or camped anytime he was within a zone of them. He would camp at a well known leveling spot of victims and then login after determining they were in his trap. Our guild channel often got the pleasure of his stories of wiping out almost full groups as he suprised them uncamping right in the middle of them! A clever Pker indeed deserved this win!

Searyx the 37th level Dark Elf cleric - This person often lead the resistance against Darkenbane and was one of the folks responsibilbe for the little organization they had. He had some class as a PvPer and never talked shit after a defeat. We are not quite sure how he got his points as he was an "anti-PKer" and did not kill many DBers that we are aware of, but suspect other anti-Pkers "sacced" to him to boost his points. He did admit that folks in their alliance were using cheats (Saromon specifically), but at the least was not a hypocryt accusing DB of using them whilst hanging out with known hackers. Whatever the case may be, if a non DBer was to win, I cannot think of someone who would deserve it more then someone who often organized the resistance against us and did so with class.

Trindamere the 18th level Dark Elf necromancer - We have no clue who this is.

If you go to the site listed above, you'll see some good posts regarding this.

I managed to level up to level 26 as a gnome necro. One of my guildmates teleported me to the karana druid spires where I was attacked and killed by the druid NPC's there. He did not know that necro's were KOS. Shadowstep failed me.... When you died your point toals were cut in half which pretty much ruined any chance I had of making the leader board.

Awakened actually was killed close to the end and still managed to make the leader board somehow... he must of been way up there above the rest.

mrgoochio
04-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Damn Discord sounds so fun.. wish p99 had a server like this

AreYouAngered MyBrother
04-21-2011, 07:27 AM
I didn't think of it until just now... but since you didn't flag PvP until level 6 - someone should have totally Fansy'ed on that server... it would have been absolutely bloody mayhem.

(if you don't know what I'm talking about, go Google "Fansy the Bard" - absolutely hilarious)

You could say I was a crude but effective knock off for a while.

I had to reroll so many times because my group mates kept killing me when low health.

Eventually, I was taken advantage of so many times I just snapped. I needed other people to feel my anguish.

I wasn't as creative or eloquent as Fancy, but I locked down Nektulos forest for quite a while. It made rolling a dark elf or troll pretty futile unless you just ran out of the zone upon creation and never returned.

Started a level 1 troll shaman with all my points into agility. That made me just fast enough to outrun the red con skeletons in Nektulos and destroy nearly anyone who entered the zone for a couple weeks. I'm sure it made a lot of people quit.

The only press I received were a few complaints in the allakhazam comments section below their Discord announcement article.

What? I was in highschool..

Zakaton
04-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I logged on, saw a bunch of people in /ooc cheering for a Troll BL using a speed hack and logged back off.

dusk883
04-21-2011, 12:00 PM
I played on Discord for the time it was up, I never had so much fun and excitement playing a video game ever.

I remember leveling up a bard to 6 when I got smoked by someone and I threw my drink at the monitor and immediately re-rolled a new guy.

I never got past level 12...the most fun I had was watching murders happen and seeing high levels run from several much lower guys... and a lot of steamfont action where 12 level 2 gnomes are hunting a level 14 or something. What a blast!

I think a lot of people are turned off by the "l33t speak" pvp guys but really when you're in game there's a lot fewer of them than on message boards IMO. Either that or they shut up when they are in game after learning that it makes them a big target for corpse camping, etc. I played on Tallon Zek since it opened until just before WoW was released and I was only corpse camped once in my career there... as I was the GL who supposedly "ordered" the CC of another player. Even that was fun because I'd log in different guys and check in to see if my corpse was still being watched by the other guild (Celestial Light or something)

But yeah, no Corpse Camping on Discord! That was crazy, I remember being amazed at how intense level 10 pvp could be, especially when someone decided to jump in like vultures... then be able to say, "and THAT was the story of soandso!"

Walking up to a low level "camp" like Orc Hill in GF was a mega experience... you'd see some temporarily allied guys leveling up and you want to join... they see you, measure you up and you're basically at their mercy. Either they'll say yes, say no...or murder you and you're back to rerolling and killing bats for 3 hours. Yeah, those were good times! Exciting times.

If there was something like this out there with a real population, I'd be all over this again

dusk883
04-21-2011, 12:11 PM
MORTALQUEST? Wow, I just read more of the thread and grinned when I read about this server! Can't wait to join, the masochist in me (I am HORRIBLE at pvp but love the excitement). Is there a webpage for rules etc? Teams? or straight up pvp anyone and everyone? If it's like old school Tallon/Vallon where there's teams and 8 level windows for pvp, I'm likely going to play a lot there.

lethdar
04-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Played an iksar necro for shits and giggles. Had to bug out the creation screen so you'd get ported to qeynos then lvl in blackburrow to get enough xp to train meditate in the catacombs. Fun times.

UnluckyLune
04-23-2011, 10:26 PM
I think I rolled a cleric and played until my first death or so. It was a scary server, far more so than SZ, and easily three quarters (this is anecdotal) seemed like they were necros, mages, and druids.

The constant paranoia was pretty exciting though.

landrover
04-24-2011, 05:08 AM
I probably had ten thousand times more fun than any of you on this server. My brother and I were landrover and highlander. We easily took down 300+ people on this server without dying once. Of course we hacked, but everyone did. We had literally all of the best hacks. Back then, very few people had mega warp - let alone all the shit we had. We had been active on the few hacking forums for several years at this point and had access to just about everything. This was WAY before the "pay me for hacks" websites became popular.

I remember running into darkenbane players all the time on the server. When confronted with our superior abilities literally every single one of them would get desperate and turn on speed hacks(the most common nublet hack). Despite what they may say, all of them cheated or grouped with cheaters. Its how they stayed alive. Numbers, speedhacking, and oh yea, hotkeys to keep track of our movement. As soon as we were within 2 zones of ANY darkenbane they logged or gated. They were absolutely terrified.

Basically it was the ultimate wolf among sheep experience. Killing and causing absolute grief to people who could only cry and complain as you ruined TONS of their hard work.

Eventually with the entire server petitioning our COMPLETE rapeage of the entire main continent the GM's stepped in and........ SUSPENDED US FOR SEVEN DAYS. LOL we didnt even get a ban. Ive had literally dozens of accounts banned for much MUCH more minor infractions than the absolute blatant hurricane katrina level hackfest we rapeshitted apon the population of discord server. Getting such a minor punishment was really the cherry on top of the whole discord sundae. We later used these throw away accounts for dupes and made tens of thousands selling to IGE and others.

Best experience ever.

As for non discord. I played on rallos zek and we were quite famous on that server as well. Any MiM members would probably remember the Atlanta crew as well as DoZ.... but that storys for another day.

have some screenshots faggots. ps, I was 14 at the time. u mad 40 year old darkenfags?

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2876/eq000006q.th.png (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/eq000006q.png/)
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1034/eq000003.th.png (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/eq000003.png/)
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9173/eq000004d.th.png (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/eq000004d.png/)
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5849/eq000005.th.png (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/eq000005.png/)

Doors
04-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Damn bro thats hard. If you're this hard on the internet I get scared just thinking about how hard you are in real life.

nalkin
04-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Damn bro thats hard. If you're this hard on the internet I get scared just thinking about how hard you are in real life.

the harder they are the harder they fall

Volsic
04-24-2011, 01:37 PM
I did. That server was brutal, but I just played for fun. Was playing a rogue, so you know I was a glutton for punishment.

I must have leveled till about 10th a dozen times, haha.

Fastinyoh
04-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Hello friends! I was one of the few children to actually win this shitfest of a contest.

I specifically remember Landrover/Highlanderr warping on top of me in the Karanas. I was level 24 at the time (I stayed at 24 to farm newbies for points, hurray!), and they were around the same. I barely pulled a gate off with a few HP.

I'm sorry but if you can't stop a nearly naked mage from gating with warp hacks, 2 slams/bashes, and blind, then why are you even trying to grief? ^^;;

Please learn how to play this (very easy) game.. you can be a wolf among sheep without warp hacking.. trust me ; P

naez
04-25-2011, 02:07 AM
I would play a game with Fastinyoh the Executioner again because he is rly good

redghosthunter
04-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I probably had ten thousand times more fun than any of you on this server. My brother and I were landrover and highlander. We easily took down 300+ people on this server without dying once. Of course we hacked, but everyone did. We had literally all of the best hacks. Back then, very few people had mega warp - let alone all the shit we had. We had been active on the few hacking forums for several years at this point and had access to just about everything. This was WAY before the "pay me for hacks" websites became popular.

I remember running into darkenbane players all the time on the server. When confronted with our superior abilities literally every single one of them would get desperate and turn on speed hacks(the most common nublet hack). Despite what they may say, all of them cheated or grouped with cheaters. Its how they stayed alive. Numbers, speedhacking, and oh yea, hotkeys to keep track of our movement. As soon as we were within 2 zones of ANY darkenbane they logged or gated. They were absolutely terrified.

Basically it was the ultimate wolf among sheep experience. Killing and causing absolute grief to people who could only cry and complain as you ruined TONS of their hard work.

Eventually with the entire server petitioning our COMPLETE rapeage of the entire main continent the GM's stepped in and........ SUSPENDED US FOR SEVEN DAYS. LOL we didnt even get a ban. Ive had literally dozens of accounts banned for much MUCH more minor infractions than the absolute blatant hurricane katrina level hackfest we rapeshitted apon the population of discord server. Getting such a minor punishment was really the cherry on top of the whole discord sundae. We later used these throw away accounts for dupes and made tens of thousands selling to IGE and others.

Best experience ever.

As for non discord. I played on rallos zek and we were quite famous on that server as well. Any MiM members would probably remember the Atlanta crew as well as DoZ.... but that storys for another day.

have some screenshots faggots. ps, I was 14 at the time. u mad 40 year old darkenfags?

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2876/eq000006q.th.png (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/eq000006q.png/)
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1034/eq000003.th.png (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/eq000003.png/)
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/9173/eq000004d.th.png (http://img96.imageshack.us/i/eq000004d.png/)
http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5849/eq000005.th.png (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/eq000005.png/)

BOX 1 Everhack :) Never heard of it

BOX 2 Tears from the pvp --->"Let me taste them... MMMMM they are so sweat and delicious." Wow

BOX 3 Going to sue SOE :) for hacking....

Zissik
08-06-2011, 09:01 PM
have some screenshots faggots. ps, I was 14 at the time.

sounds like you still are...

Bardalicious
08-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Landrover and Highlanderr biggest faggots on Discord server. I remember Highlanderr very well because I played a barbarian BL on that server. He'd constantly warp or speed when confronted with 1v1 PVP.

To brag about your sweet skills (aka pushing the warp and gate and succor keys) is pretty sad tbh. Even more so that you post screenshots of denying the blatantly obvious truth to the people you had to hack against to kill.

This, my friends, is why Rogean and Co. may be our saviors. If they work out an anti-hack that keeps all MQ and SEQ kiddies at bay, it would be worth re-creating a discord server. It was truthfully some of the most fun I've had in EQ PVP, all the sad hacking aside. With a completely legit server, it could be incredible imo.

Bardalicious
08-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Oh, I'm also pretty sure Highlanderr was one of the guys that would chain zone for hours between qeynos and halas to do some delivery quest for money + xp.

Prince
08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
bardalicious troll0led

Bardalicious
08-06-2011, 10:03 PM
bardalicious troll0led

ur mom got trolled when she gave birth 2 u el oh el

Prince
08-06-2011, 10:31 PM
bardalicious more like dumalicious

Bardalicious
08-06-2011, 10:32 PM
bardalicious more like dumalicious

prince moar like big dumb meanie face :(

k1n0
08-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Would Love to see Rogean and Nilbog and the developers recreate this server ^^ would be good fun

Prince
08-06-2011, 11:46 PM
prince moar like big dumb meanie face :(

how *dare* u

Bardalicious
08-07-2011, 12:55 AM
how *dare* u

prz forgive, i said it in the heat of the moment!!

superapan
08-07-2011, 05:16 AM

Best experience ever.

That was truly epic. Your post, that is. :rolleyes:

Galanteer
08-07-2011, 05:29 AM
played a short bit, this came out at the end of my time with EQ pvp. The player base made it no fun, to much cheating.

neverquest
08-09-2011, 11:59 AM
haha thats a great story Dildor. more discord stories! dildor sounds close to something gay.

Taketz
08-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Wow! Really cool to hear from someone who made it to the end! Thanks for that cool story. Pictures please ;)

I wonder where he got the name from... and I wonder if League of Legends stole it from him!? Hah!

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Tryndamere_The_Barbarian_King

Hahaha if only you knew. :cool:

lethstang
08-28-2011, 01:10 AM

omg this made me laugh, snort , giggle, and i damn near shit my pants.

SearyxTZ
08-28-2011, 01:45 AM

Best experience ever.

Priceless. You were one of the barbarians I mentioned in my post! The most blatant/obvious hackers on the server, with all of your warping. Lambdah was a TZ player. I'm flattered you were doing /who all just for me.

You took down "300+ people"? No, you didn't. The server didn't even have that many people, and you were not one of the winners.

I played the healer class, did not hack, and won. You had a good time - I had a better time. I killed people without the game genie.

Come play on red1999 when it's released. :)

danubi
11-19-2012, 07:53 AM
oh the fun times i had playing this,

lvled my druid to 28, 4 times always ended up getting killed some retarded way.

remember one time i got ganked in rivervale by a horde of newbs.. couldnt do anything

i want a remake of this, best fun ever

pasi
11-19-2012, 12:55 PM
I spent the first two days of this server training around the 2 misty undead camps of rats and skeletons. Just one giant swarm of 20 slow moving proxy aggro undeads. The no rules thing goes out the window pretty quickly after enough petitions.

pasi
11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Did not realize this was an old thread.

Nirgon
11-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Discord was great to read about, I never got around to it. I was too busy on RZ and always regret not playing at least a few levels.

Seeing a character die knowing "that was it" would be special (oh shit moments are fun).

Back to your scheduled "EQ was never a PvP game and the devs never did anything for PvP".

Tulkas
11-19-2012, 03:04 PM
i was part of the gnome mafia :D

We took over steamfont. Didn't take long for everyone to start making alliances with us so they wouldn't get whacked

Sturgeon
11-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah I played there it was fun but really annoying, it wasn't racial but rather open PvP so I had a barbie so at lvl 6 it was a giant slaugtherfest around Bandl and Blackburrow.

The only thing that sucked about it was there were no real GM intervention so people were hacking on the server, remember dying to these two shamans that kept teleporting to whoever would ding lvl 6 in Everfrost and kill them.

stormlord
11-21-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm fairly hardcore in my choices of games, but I'll admit that permadeath is something I don't jibe well with. i did try it in Diablo 2 a few times with some hardcore characters. Lost a pally in the 50's and a couple other barbarians in the 20's and 30's and a few low levels. The experience kind of has instilled in my the notion that permadeath doesn't work. However, I'm willing to believe that permadeath might work somehow, I just haven't seen how. Maybe someday I will. Maybe we should use reality as a guide since it has it?

In the end, I think this life works because it's not THAT dangerous. If this life were too dangerous, none of us would live past the first few days. The fact that people have an average lifespan about 77 years of ago in the US means that death is avoidable somewhat. I think the same would have to be true in a game. Otherwise, there's no chance to appreciate the work you put into it. Why work if you lose it the next moment?

In games players die a lot. Much more than we die in RL! This is why games of this nature that do have permadeath should not cause you to lose anything substantial. This is a key point. If we lose anything substantial in a game and there's permadeath then the rate that we die has to be low enough to not chase us away. The reason we play isn't so much to die, it's to survive! But if all we're doing is dying then... no reason to play. But how do you make a game where players die a lot less and convince the players that it'll be fun?

Another thing I think is important is remembering players that have died. In RL we have graveyards and biographies and history books and family heirlooms and all sorts of things to remember the people in our history so they're not forgotten. If a game does not give the players a means to remember players that have died then it's going to make accepting their death harder, I think. Having a way to remember the deceased gives us a connection to them and dulls the pain and not having this as an option would make it harder.

Lastly, bigger goals! Things like society and family (children) and knowledge are built not in one generation or by one person but in countless generations and by many. When we live our life we invest in these things with others. We will lose our youth and our life, but the investments we put into society and other things will survive past the death of our body and thus they're a connection to the future. This is about not being too vain. Don't waste time putting effort into things that're just going to be lost when you die or get old.

RL has a lot to teach us if we want to put permadeath in games.

Zuranthium
12-14-2012, 05:45 AM
It occurred to me that the RED server here at P1999 would benefit if it went "Discord" style.

Set it up so the server resets every month. What you'd be getting is a constant PvP competition - every month the top 10 players are announced and the competition begins again. The server population would be much higher, at least for the first half of each month, because everyone would be able to join in and compete every month. There would definitely be WAY more actual PvP happening; that should be what the RED server offers to players and this format could be perfect.

To make it even more playable, we could also code the server so that everyone automatically starts as level 5 and respawns as level 5 (with all of your skill caps auto-maxed up to that level) if they are killed. Each class could start with some equipment and/or spells too - not fully geared, but more than you would start with normally at level 1. This would shave off several hours of tedious setup time for new people coming to the sever, we all know how boring it is to kill newbie yard MOBs at the beginning, and also give killed players some extra incentive to keep going. It could be possible to die and still make the top 10 for the month, if proper alliances form and everyone "at the top" is getting killed.

That would be far, far more exciting than what the current RED server offers.

Toehammer
12-14-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm fairly hardcore in my choices of games, but I'll admit that permadeath is something I don't jibe well with. i did try it in Diablo 2 a few times with some hardcore characters. Lost a pally in the 50's and a couple other barbarians in the 20's and 30's and a few low levels.

Your whole mindset stems from the fact you lost a few low level diablo 2 characters. Good Diablo 2 players last well into their 80s. I have a couple 85-92 characters in hardcore mode. The good players have ALL lost high level characters... that is what makes you get better. I lost a level 88 barb to a lag spike... I learned neve to play with lag again... good lesson!

SamwiseRed
12-14-2012, 11:19 AM
I've lost countless lvl 90+ to lag, tppk, stupidity. Almost every time I died I was like, "fuck hardcore shits dum." Several hours later I would be back on the hardcore ladder, softcore was just meaningless.

Toehammer
12-14-2012, 01:01 PM
I've lost countless lvl 90+ to lag, tppk, stupidity. Almost every time I died I was like, "fuck hardcore shits dum." Several hours later I would be back on the hardcore ladder, softcore was just meaningless.

My thoughts exactly. When I lost my 92 sorc, I freaked for 5 min... 10 min later the Den of Evil was cleared!

Bigcountry23
12-14-2012, 02:40 PM
had a 6 DE Mage, died to a sharp tooth swimming across the river (true story). quit after that.

jerok88
12-16-2012, 01:08 AM
It occurred to me that the RED server here at P1999 would benefit if it went "Discord" style.

Set it up so the server resets every month. What you'd be getting is a constant PvP competition - every month the top 10 players are announced and the competition begins again. The server population would be much higher, at least for the first half of each month, because everyone would be able to join in and compete every month. There would definitely be WAY more actual PvP happening; that should be what the RED server offers to players and this format could be perfect.

To make it even more playable, we could also code the server so that everyone automatically starts as level 5 and respawns as level 5 (with all of your skill caps auto-maxed up to that level) if they are killed. Each class could start with some equipment and/or spells too - not fully geared, but more than you would start with normally at level 1. This would shave off several hours of tedious setup time for new people coming to the sever, we all know how boring it is to kill newbie yard MOBs at the beginning, and also give killed players some extra incentive to keep going. It could be possible to die and still make the top 10 for the month, if proper alliances form and everyone "at the top" is getting killed.

That would be far, far more exciting than what the current RED server offers.

+1

Starting out on Red99 was a lot of fun, getting ganked on zone ins, avoiding gropus of 2 or 3 until you get your own group and you fight them.

Now newbie zones are sparse and there's no fun in starting up. But a restart every 1-2 months with leaderboards posted would be fantastic. I also like your idea of starting at level 5 instead of 1, or for that matter you could just have PVP start at level 1

stormlord
12-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Your whole mindset stems from the fact you lost a few low level diablo 2 characters. Good Diablo 2 players last well into their 80s. I have a couple 85-92 characters in hardcore mode. The good players have ALL lost high level characters... that is what makes you get better. I lost a level 88 barb to a lag spike... I learned neve to play with lag again... good lesson!
Ya, I spose you're right.

I was at the point where I realized I had to slow my game down. I stayed in lower level areas longer to keep my chances of dying low. But it gets boring. And you get tempted sometimes by higher level groups asking you to join them. And I had a tough time getting barbarians high with whirlwind.

I recall several times at least seeing a high level die. I remember being I think in nightmare and some high level died while in hell or something. He died and just left.

Not all classes in Diablo 2 lvl easy either. They're not equally represented on the ladder.

I did die to lag a few times. The others were just me up against something too tough.

I saw no point in playing on the non-hardcore servers. They didn't appeal to me.

My previous post here says everything I'd like to say about perma-death. Briefly, I think RL has a lot to teach us if we want to implement perma-death in games since RL is a working model. It's kind of like watching birds if you want to make something that flies. RL has spent billions of years creating life-forms that live and die.

Chronoburn
12-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Not sure what the guy's name was on Discord but the winner was a neutral from SZ, Pyrate. I believe he played a cleric on discord. He duo'd with his brother, Farglebump.

Giovanni
12-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Pyratt Pete & Apostle Pete

Fael
12-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Haven't read through all the posts; but if Darkenbane was the "gnome mafia," we pretty much destroyed that server. I played a elf wizard. I think 4 of the top 5 were all DBC. I myself Got to lvl 24, had a decent amount of kills racked up; but, got wtfowned by some named faery in lesser fay. I then got back up to lvl 25, and zoned into felwithe to bank. When i was leaving the zone i got ambushed by 3 lvl 10 mages, a lvl 13 pally, and some other random newbs. Blinded, rooted, mere feet from the zone... it was a humiliating death.

Lol at the guy using speed hacks. I didnt use speed hacks, I didnt see any DBC people use hacks. Maybe some did if you can trust a guy who openly admits to hacking and then talks about how skilled they were at the same time. I never saw highlander and co in game, but i heard about you two. And the word on the street was gtfo dodge, not because of your skill, but because of your hacks.

Dolic