PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Feign Death working as intended? Seems to behave really strange after patch

Smedy
02-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Hi,

So i saw some FD changes, i've been testing it out somewhat.

What surprises me is the fact that if i for example:

1. Get agroo
2. FD
3. sneak while FD (success)
4. stand up while mob is moving away from me

I wont have any agroo, until the mob turns torwards me or i go unsneak mode.

This means i can sneak around for 10 minutes, then when i remove sneak, the mob will come flying for me.

Is this really working as intended? Seems shaky to me. Usual agroo scenario is, either you got agroo, or you don't.

Haystacks
02-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Yup, supposedly this is classic...either /q out to drop aggro or FD a bunch until they stop chasing you.

Dullah
02-21-2013, 10:05 AM
This is not classic at all.

Mobs would either come reagro after standing or they wouldn't. Nothing would suppress your agro including invis, hide or sneak.

Feign death should be really simple, not sure why theres so much confusion. Feign death randomly removes agro on mobs. When you stand, some mobs should remember, some should forget. Agro ALSO did wipe after time passed or when mobs returned to their spawn points, but even when they haven't returned agro could still be wiped from just feigning.

Now feign is almost completely broken where you have to get extremely lucky or just wait until mobs path back to their spawn points.

Dullah
02-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Standing Up

When you stand up after a feign death, if the previously aggro'd mobs were below Level 35 there will be no repercussions as the mob will have no recollection of you and carry on as normal. Mobs above Level 35 however have a chance to re agro on you. If they do, they will go directly to you as if you were still an enemy. If you have stayed down long enough for the mob to return to its spawn point, then there is a 90% chance it wont agro on you again. However, if it is still roaming there is an 80% chance that it will agro on you again. Don't be too worried though, you do have the chance to re-feign and each subsequent feign reduces the chances of re-agro by roughly 20%.
This rule is not universal however. Certain factors can influence it and different mobs will react in different ways. Distances from the mob when you stand up can affect its chance of re-aggroing, and some mobs will forget every time but will remember if you get close in the future. A way around this is to /quit while feigning death. This causes you to go link dead, but keeps you feigned, and so after three minutes you will time out as if you had camped and will lose all mob agro. However, before you do this you should make sure you are in an area with no mobs around, this will stop others from aggroing on you as you will log back in standing.
Also remember you will lose any no-rent items, or summoned food or water that you had and will also lose your group spot. Monks should never be group leaders when feign death pulling as they will bug their group if they have to /q and party members will have to all camp out and re-login to reform..

http://www.eqmacwiki.com/w/Guide_to_Feign_Death

This is the way I remember it, though 80% chance to remember upon standing after FD seems higher than I remember it during Kunark/Velious. Looking back, there were many patches that made FD pulling harder, but it was actually quite useful early on, and an art if you were good.

SupaflyIRL
02-21-2013, 10:26 AM
When you stand, some mobs should remember, some should forget.

false

e: all roamers will remember or all will forget, only mobs that will forget without that total deaggro are statics that have pathed back to their spawn point

Dullah
02-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Nonsense.

That was the whole point of FD pulling. Theres a chance that mobs will forget just by feigning. I played a monk up until the end of velious, so I have not be polluted by non-classic mechanics that you kids are familiar with.

Scenario: you pull 3 mobs. You FD, the mobs start to path back 1 at a time, spacing them out. You stand, 1 or 2 of the mobs would forget you. If you were lucky, the mobs farthest away would be the ones that forgot. Otherwise, the farthest mobs would reagro those nearer that lost agro upon feigning.

Read the quote above from EQmac, where FD pulling seems to still work in a somewhat classic fashion.

SamwiseRed
02-21-2013, 11:17 AM
fd wasnt originally designed as a pulling mechanism so its hard to say how it was meant to work. dont you guys remember bards being up in arms about monks taking over pulls?

Rettii
02-21-2013, 11:22 AM
I also played a monk in live kunark and remember mobs behaving with this % chance of forgetting as Dullah quoted.

I have no links, but I do remember feigning and standing several times to drop agro memory on the far mobs. You would basically stand and feign as many times as necessary to get the far mobs pathing back while keeping the close mob leashed tight as possible, until eventually you stood up and the far mobs pathing back had their agro cleared.

Not sure about invis pulling or any of the other tricks.

Everyone should remember monks split pulling...

enr4ged
02-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Nonsense.

That was the whole point of FD pulling. Theres a chance that mobs will forget just by feigning. I played a monk up until the end of velious, so I have not be polluted by non-classic mechanics that you kids are familiar with.

Scenario: you pull 3 mobs. You FD, the mobs start to path back 1 at a time, spacing them out. You stand, 1 or 2 of the mobs would forget you. If you were lucky, the mobs farthest away would be the ones that forgot. Otherwise, the farthest mobs would reagro those nearer that lost agro upon feigning.

Read the quote above from EQmac, where FD pulling seems to still work in a somewhat classic fashion.

I agree with you on this one. It was exactly like you describe. When you feign death some would forget, some wouldn't. Thus standing up would cause some to come at you, all, or none. And that is what feign death splitting was.
I also played a monk all the way from kunark until the LDoN era. This is how it was the whole time.