PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Lady Vox fight

Nirgon
02-22-2013, 03:18 PM
This link dates back to early Velious, but NPC behavior should not have changed at all by then and is quite relevant to our time line.

I was dismayed to see such low numbers of players killing Vox on both servers, and claiming her to be some simple encounter requiring 2-3 clerics with manastones and really little else. Combine this with invis pulling charmable pets up to her area, charm working too well on high levels targets here and well... I had to start looking... and now I am pleased to report a successful find.

Here is what I've found close to that era, there is an inaccuracy or two in here which I'll spare... but the raid strat highlights some very important points.

Relevant to classic era

The ole server chat, please bring this back some how outside of irc lol, bad ass nostaliga generator:

9. When back at the server selection screen, go to the chat area, and go to the server chat (Cazic-Thule in my case). Wait here until someone gets on and says everyone should log back.

More timeline clues as to publishing of guide.. early/mid Velious:

There are a wealth of other items available, especially with the addition of SoV.

Most notable mechanic, CH and summon player behavior as it relates to her positioning... especially walls and narrow areas:

3) Never push Vox on a wall- if you do she will start to chain CH herself then you will die

If Vox is in the narrow area leading to the rock, it is critical that the first tank groups push her into the center of the room. If she is in that area, it is the same as if she was stuck on a wall and will CH repeatedly.

9. A major key to killing Vox is to not push her onto a wall. IF VOX GETS PUSHED ONTO A WALL SHE WILL STAND THERE, HEAL HERSELF, AND SUMMON PEOPLE. Those that are between Vox and the nearest wall should not taunt. If you are near the wall and are the current agro, move away from the wall.

Should be slowable once debuffed, may take a few tries:

12. [RL: Debuf / Slow now]. Once all dispells are done, the debufs should come. Shamans should immediately begin to attempt to slow/debuf Vox and should OOC successes ("Slowed", "Malosied", etc). If any 53+ characters are present on the raid, they can attempt to attack/debuf/slow at this time. Bards may consider adding a debuf to twist (1 does fire resist, 1 does magic resist).

Regarding dragon fear and run/walk:

12. When you log back in - turn on WALK. Vox will cast fear, and it is best to be walk mode. If you have run mode on and vox fears you, you may wind up in the pits.

^Should not see walk get "autoed" on for a fear :). Players forgetting to do so should take off fleeing quickly... and oh yeah those pits :P.

A 4 slot breath dispel, eh?

AoE dispel that will remove the first 4 buffs you have

^ This is one I'd like to see have much more research...

Big aoe breaths+fears through walls.... healing though??

14. Healers should remain near the rock until needed. If there is only a single person in the group taking damage, they should move back to the rock and get a heal. This allows the healers to stay out of Vox's breath range. If a number of people have taken damage, the healer should come to the group. The safest place for a healer to stand is behind Vox outside breath range.

^ I certainly recall binding at the bolded "narrow area leading to the rock" and the fears that occurred right as I respawned. Notice how nothing is mentioned of "as long as you are down the ramp you are safe"... range important here. Dragon fear had a massive range and I never recall being safe from it on live despite line of sight. Notice the strat isn't, "fight her near the rock so you can heal through the walls". I'll give credit that we know more now, are more experienced etc... but come on... do you think the people that raided this for hours and hours, night after night, really wouldn't have tried that, especially if it was possible to heal through walls on live? This classic vent knows what's up!

Level 53+ interesting-ness

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES
It is possible for a level 53+ player to directly assist in a Vox fight, but it is moderated by getting expelled by Vox (other than buffs prior to a fight). If you get placed on her hate list, you will be expelled.
1. Casting a spell on Vox will cause you to get expelled. The spell may or may not land. Spells that cause waves of damage appear to work - subsequent to the first wave.
2. Healing people fighting Vox will result in an expulsion. The heal will generally take, lower level heals (non-CH) will sometimes allow you to cast more than one prior to expulsion.
3. Getting too close to Vox may result in an expulsion. The agro radius is quite large.
4. Some groups have used CoH (Call of Heros) to heal people. Since CoH wipes a persons hate list, someone can be summoned, have CH cast on them, and return to the fight. Since the hate list was cleared with the CoH, the healer is not placed on hate list.
5. Some raids have used 53+ characters to keep any respawned ice giants from bothering the Vox group.

These comments have very obvious applications to the Lord Nagafen fight. Especially considering healing through walls, avoiding aoe using walls or sticking him in a wall (causing chain summoning and chaos).

Evidence posted, please offer counter evidence and take grumpiness to RNF.

Ele
02-22-2013, 03:41 PM
What link? You just posted random quotes from some unknown source? What is your proposal for what is incorrect and what needs fixing?

Nirgon
02-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Lol fuck me, source (http://www.angelfire.com/ca/FriskyFeline/WindsOfTime/LadyVox.html).

Citing (all major points):
How if she touches a wall she should start summoning and chain CH'ing.... not turning into an exploitable gimp!
Level 53+ behavior outlined.
Range being the only safe way to avoid breath/fear, not LoS.
Healing through walls not being viable (maybe should go under more research but I feel like this is conclusive to me, wouldn't it be obvious to just position her near the rock and heal through the wall? Goes under things that weren't broken at any point in live, won't find patch notes or outlines of people even trying to do it)

More research required:
4 slot dispel breath (I can't quite back this but what a find)

Nizzarr
02-22-2013, 06:05 PM
What link? You just posted random quotes from some unknown source? What is your proposal for what is incorrect and what needs fixing?

he couldnt even know, he never fought her.

Nirgon
02-22-2013, 06:23 PM
I have credible witnesses on blue should Nilbog ask for them and can log the characters in who definitely kill her regularly to prove it :P.

Source provided.

Stop advocating trivial raid content that you could still kill pretty easily anyway.

SamwiseRed
02-22-2013, 07:53 PM
sad :( i remember raiding vox with damn well over 60 people. its how it should be. why should a dragon be a push over for 1 or 2 groups.

Cwall 52.0
02-23-2013, 12:05 AM
i remember back in the day having a lvl 60 tank go to the edge of naggy/vox lair, pulling the plug to force himself to go linkdead, and then having someone aggro the dragon and their aoe would cause the NPC-like tank to tank the fight(would not get banished due to being linkdead) while the rest of our raid(like 50-70 people) beat the dragon down

is that possible here? have not done any dragon raids on these boxes