PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Ice Comet research not working with regular runes

sidi
06-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Ice Comet can currently only be researched using the non-drop runes from the Staff of the Wheel quest. There are several sources online showing that you were able to use the droppable runes in classic, but Sony changed it way down the line (and even then it seemed to have been an accident). Any chance we can get this fixed? It's otherwise terribly hard for a wizard to get Ice Comet (either have to deal with leveling research and doing a really long quest, or pay out the ass and hope they can find drop off Vox).

Evorix
06-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Nilborg: Removed the Ice Comet tradeskill combine involving the droppable rune of the astral and rune of frost. The only source of a droppable version of ice comet prior to the tradeskill patch of 2002 should be lady vox. The no drop runes from the Staff of the Wheel quest will still combine to create a no drop version of Ice Comet.

doacleric
06-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Nilbog did a lot of research into this topic and changed the combine accordingly.

sidi
06-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the replies - I felt relatively certain I was correct, but I also imagine nilbog did a good job looking this up. I didn't realize there was a patch note about this already. Keep up the good work :)

Gandite
06-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Can we please get the droppable runes removed from the game? Absolutely no reason they should be dropping now.

nilbog
06-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Can we please get the droppable runes removed from the game? Absolutely no reason they should be dropping now.

Sure, we can remove them if they don't need to be there. Can you link what all they should make, and/or reference that they shouldn't exist?

If they are on a rune/page lootdrop, it will increase your chances of getting something you can use, if these don't make anything else.

Gandite
06-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Sure, we can remove them if they don't need to be there. Can you link what all they should make, and/or reference that they shouldn't exist?

If they are on a rune/page lootdrop, it will increase your chances of getting something you can use, if these don't make anything else.

Rune of the astral is used in supernova so leave it. Rune of frost is only used to make Ice comet. No spell post 50/classic era requires research.

http://www.crys.org/Everquest/spells/researchwiz.asp
http://eqc.wikidot.com/wizard-spells

Also Nilbog I really am grateful for everything you do, but removing this combine was just stupid. I can deal with having to raise research though it is ultimately useless. However if the combine fails (and I've seen it happen) the player is required to do the entire staff of the wheel quest over again. I'm sorry but that is just fucking ridiculous.

nilbog
06-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Also Nilbog I really am grateful for everything you do, but removing this combine was just stupid. I can deal with having to raise research though it is ultimately useless. However if the combine fails (and I've seen it happen) the player is required to do the entire staff of the wheel quest over again. I'm sorry but that is just fucking ridiculous.

That's classic Everquest. It's as stupid as you want to consider it.

Did you also notice that Ice Comet does 1121 dmg here, and not 808? That's classic usage. Wizards were known for their Ice Comet.

Because its not tradeskilled from easily obtained runes prior to 2002 (past the scope of our project) doesn't make it stupid IMO.

Gandite
06-19-2010, 04:34 PM
That's classic Everquest. It's as stupid as you want to consider it.

Did you also notice that Ice Comet does 1121 dmg here, and not 808? That's classic usage. Wizards were known for their Ice Comet.

Because its not tradeskilled from easily obtained runes prior to 2002 (past the scope of our project) doesn't make it stupid IMO.

When I used Ice Comet on live it did 1100 damage as well. I'm not sure where you're getting the 808 from unless this was after my time.

Gorgetrapper
06-19-2010, 04:59 PM
When I used Ice Comet on live it did 1100 damage as well. I'm not sure where you're getting the 808 from unless this was after my time.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=732

Fantastic Spell
Posted: May 09 2003

Tested it on a Griffon in North karana wham 1110(at 49) pretty cool.

Check out bazaar got mine for 20 plats...woot :)

Then 2 years later...

Nerf
Posted: Apr 15 2005 6:01pm

With the most recent patch series, SOE felt the need to nerf my biggest and best NUKE! damn them. I used to hit for around 1200+HP at LVL 52. Now I hit for 860something HP. Granted, it uses less mana and is faster and regens faster, but oh well... I don't use rend anymore. Tears of Druzil is now my favorite for one target. more damage- more mana efficient.

sidi
06-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Rune of the astral is used in supernova so leave it. Rune of frost is only used to make Ice comet. No spell post 50/classic era requires research.

http://www.crys.org/Everquest/spells/researchwiz.asp
http://eqc.wikidot.com/wizard-spells

Part of my frustration that lead to posting this was that it failed - though as it was said, it's just part of EQ. I found it for sale for 1500 today at least. Probably way too much, but I was just happy to find a seller at all.

Qaedain
07-01-2010, 12:56 AM
I found and purchased a Rune of Frost today from a vendor in North Freeport.

I was under the impression that this item should no longer be available, as it cannot be used in research until 2002?

nilbog
07-01-2010, 01:20 AM
It just hasn't been changed yet.

Does everyone agree that rune of frost shouldn't drop? Can get it in for next patch.

Ropethunder
07-01-2010, 01:28 AM
I found it for sale for 1500 today at least. Probably way too much, but I was just happy to find a seller at all.

I paid 1500 for my 49 enchanter spell Allure and 1500 for 49 magician pets. Seems pretty normal to me.

Striiker
07-01-2010, 10:20 AM
It just hasn't been changed yet.

Does everyone agree that rune of frost shouldn't drop? Can get it in for next patch.

I thought the runes always dropped.. I remember playing a Wizard on live in 99 (I got my Ice Comet spell via the quest runes) and reading of the first person to get Ice Comet on Grafe's web site (THE Wizard web site back in the day). Here's a link and quote which mentions getting the runes off Vox and Nagafen.
http://web.archive.org/web/20000918121901/www.graffe.com/home/August10th.htm

"July 31, 1999 - 9:35am PST
Recieved email from a good friend named Wizarmin on Xegony about Ice Comet (She is the first person that I know of that has created the spell by getting the runes the hard way... killing Nagafen and Vox). Here is an exerpt of what she told me:
- "The casting time is virtually same as Rend so it's about 9 seconds I'd say. There is a slight refresh delay after casting the spell, like maybe 4 seconds instead of the normal 2 for other spells" "

The time that the quest went in was mentioned on this page..
http://web.archive.org/web/20000918121912/www.graffe.com/home/July30th.htm
"July 27, 1999 - 5:15pm PST
New server and client updates that are of importance to Wizards:

-The Fear Plane is now on-line.

-Players are no longer able to cast Shadowstep next to a zone point and teleport to an area past the teleport region, which is inaccessible to other characters.

-If the Eye of Zomm makes contact with a zone-point, the spell will immediately wear off.

-The Eye of Zomm now allows the caster to travel up and down.

-Rend (Wizard) is now available on certain Wizard vendors (lvl 49 spell).

-Wizard Portal and Evac spells have had their AoE radius range upped to match Druid Circle spells.

-A Quest for Ice Comet has been added.

-A Quest to help casters with research has been added. Good aligned races should check North Karana, while those with a more malign disposition should check South Ro."

..and a few days later, the first Ice Comet spell was acquired. I remembered reading this with envy. :)

July 29, 1999 - 10:50am PST
"Stalkin of The Rathe seems to be the first to acquire the spell 'Ice Comet'. It does 1120 damage while using 400 mana. Sure would like to know the casting time on this to put to rest the 40 second myths. If you know, let me know. Thanks!"

There's lots of interesting reads on Ice Comet (and other wizardly stuff) found by clicking the archive links at the bottom of this page..

http://web.archive.org/web/19991127135243/http://www.graffe.com/

mmiles8
07-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Just in case this was slated for removal with the last patch

Rune of Frost is still dropping:

[Thu Jul 15 17:38:26 2010] --Cantaa has looted a Rune of Frost.--
[Mon Jul 19 15:58:26 2010] --Tandpetarn has looted a Rune of Frost.--
[Mon Jul 19 16:07:41 2010] --Tandpetarn has looted a Rune of Frost.--

Striiker
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Just in case this was slated for removal with the last patch

Rune of Frost is still dropping:

[Thu Jul 15 17:38:26 2010] --Cantaa has looted a Rune of Frost.--
[Mon Jul 19 15:58:26 2010] --Tandpetarn has looted a Rune of Frost.--
[Mon Jul 19 16:07:41 2010] --Tandpetarn has looted a Rune of Frost.--

I thought that the rune should be dropping as evidenced by my link to old posts from a web site in 1999. I remember that the runes were dropping AND I remember when the quest was added. I think the quest was added because of the complaints that a significant spell for wizards was way too difficult and rare to obtain while other classes didn't have this huge hurdle to go over.

Agecroft
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Not that I'm going to need it for a while, but is the quest for Ice Comet live on P99?

guineapig
07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
According to the April 24th patch notes it should be:

Nilborg: Removed the Ice Comet tradeskill combine involving the droppable rune of the astral and rune of frost. The only source of a droppable version of ice comet prior to the tradeskill patch of 2002 should be lady vox. The no drop runes from the Staff of the Wheel quest will still combine to create a no drop version of Ice Comet.

r0xx0r
07-20-2010, 05:12 PM
only spell that requires rune of frost is Ice Comet.

notCastv3.0
02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
ive had two rune of frosts drop on dino in the past hr

please remove this trash from the loot table or let me sell it for some decent platage feel i just got fucked outta some delicious gems namean